Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW - Anyone Else Feel Alone? Slow and Painful Advancement?

UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123

I had to make this thread to ask other players that have just started playing TSW recently if they feel the same way i do when attempting to be happy with this game. from the moment you log in as a completely new player to about 24 hours played time you are confronted with the most lonely and uninformative "quest or quit" gameplay.

In my eyes i dont really see "randomly questing" at "random" contacts that arent even clearly outlined as to what gear you will recieve as a reward fun at all. "run around this large landscape randomly accepting and doing quests, that use the same old mmo quest mecahnics, for chances at random gear advancements". i know ill get flamed for this entire thread, but i thought id ask:

does anyone else find this game lonely, slow advancing, and lacking in new player help/ explainations of how to get gear and even advance at all?

is anyone else dissatisfied with playing alone almost all the time and being forced to "quest" the entire time they are logged on?

Does grinding missions to get gear to do 1 instance, then mission grinding more gear to get to the next instance really appeal to this many people?

what good does fusang do if you cant even level from pvp? does loging into fusang to get facrolled by anyone and thier mother really appeal to a player that has 24-72 hours played time under thier belt?

my experience with TSW has been unfortunate, because the game has great graphics and a great skill system. i just cant see continuing to play to reach "end game" if 90% of my time spent playing alone. i wish The Matrix Online never shut down....

Comments

• TzykiraTzykira Member Posts: 13

Tbh, it is different.

I just went for the story-line quest and running into " random " npc's who gives quests are great for - gear(even tho it's not always for you, but not like u always need the best gear to actually survive/kill mobs), money and tokens.

Doing the side quests gives u more exp " ap/sp " which is needed, i even had to re-do a few of the quest in savage coast before entering the next zone.

Anyway u can craft your own gear which is pretty easy. if u feel " alone " then search for a cabal to quests whit someon or go do some dungeons, even tho u dont need anyone to complete all the quests including the story-line.

But yes it's not Extra special questing, but not the same, they got kill quests, puzzel quest, etc. pretty different if u ask me.

And i didnt had the feeling it was slow, i thought it went pretty fast :x

• ThenThen Member UncommonPosts: 80

The MMO-People have been crying about finishing a game 2 quicly, now you are crying because you feel alone? And that you are confronted by quests that are awesome and fun, but hard 2 do, since they require you 2 think.

[mod edit]

This has been the most engaging game I have played in years, And I will still play this in 6months because its that good.

Yes its hard

Yes its not for everyone

[mod edit]

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206

I can't really say I agree with you OP. I went into TSW expecting very little, I knew that there wouldn't be levels and or classes and I went in there with an open mind. I heard about the questing and I admitt I found it intriging so as far as questing go I do them for the plot rather than the rewards. For me, the SP and AP I get by gaining the XP is reward enough as I am still in Kingsmouth and havn't really found a wall. What keeps me exiting is that carrot on a stick that is called skill wheel. I am always looking forward for my next stack of AP that I can use to further increase my Pistol or Elemental Load out. To me this is incentive enough to quest aside from experience the story, but that is just me. 

If I had to give you advice, I would suggest you stop looking at this mmo like you would, say WoW. Dont do quests for the rewards but for the story they give, like you would on any single player RPG. Last time I checked I didnt do a quest from an NPC in a FF game just to get some rewards, I do it to further progress the story. IF you think as TSW as a Single player game with multiplayer then I think you would see the game in a new light. 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123

thanks for the reply.

i just dont think finding a cabal would even help in this case, because questing with someone else is not really in this games design.

i bought the game thinking i could do something other then just quest to advance, i guess i was just plain wrong. if there are no rewards for pvp then playing the game all day alone doesnt seem to justify any "end game" for me.

i just dont enjoy running around alone in an mmo, it kinda saddens me that so many mmoers like this type of gameplay.

im kinda at a loss for words on how unenjoyable this game has been for me in my first 24 hours of played time.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Outwith dungeons and PvP this game is a single player experience, sure you can group up but there is no need for it and even if you do the end of your quest will end in a single player instance that only you can enter so your group will have to split up then anyway.

It feels more like a Co-op RPG than an MMO, it is good at what it does but if you are looking for a game where the world is vast and has a real sense of scale and isn't just zones full of quests then this isn't the game for you. I don't know if any games releasing these days have big expansive worlds, for the most part its zone after zone of structured content that you work your way through.

About MxO I also loved that game as broken as it was it was good fun and Mega City was huge!

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Nothing stops you from talking to people and grouping up. Hell, i've seen threads where players say the quests should be marked as group because of how hard they are.

The only difference between this game and other mmos when it comes to the sp part is that there's a few solo insatnces and cutscenes instead of text.

Originally posted by SlickShoes

Outwith dungeons and PvP this game is a single player experience, sure you can group up but there is no need for it and even if you do the end of your quest will end in a single player instance that only you can enter so your group will have to split up then anyway.

It feels more like a Co-op RPG than an MMO,

Maybe the old mmorpgs where like that and more "mmo", but i don't see where any new mmois any differnt.

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206

Well I have to be honest, so far I havnt had any reason to join a cabal or group up for that matter. Mind you, I come from FFXI so I know all about grouping up for content 24/7 as the only means of progression. Sometimes, however, you just want to laid back and do your own thing. In WoW, I can do my own stuff and if I really want to group up I can do a dungeon or raid. I do have my guild which is a raiding guild and I enjoy the camaradery I get from hanging out with them. On the other hand, If I try to translate that to TSW I find myself in no need of such activities at the moment. Like I said in my previous post, I am still at Kingsmouth and so far just chilling doing the quests trying out the investigation missions and trying new skill rotations is enough to keep me entertained. I am sure that once I hit the higher levels I will start getting more social and spread out. 

This is not my first rodeo, I do this in pretty much every MMO. In FFXI you used to solo from 1 to 10 and then hit a wall, from then on you HAD to group up or die. In wow, I would lvl by myself until I was able to do a dungeon and take it from there. I am sure than once I do my first dungeon and spread out from the starter area the game will become more social. If anything OP, I suggest you just have bit of faith. You might feel alone right now, but keep in mind that the game is new and everyone is trying to figure stuff out. Give it a bit more time, and as soon as people have a good idea what is the "correct" way to play the game things will become more lively. 

Just my two cents. 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

It feels more like a Co-op RPG than an MMO, it is good at what it does but if you are looking for a game where the world is vast and has a real sense of scale and isn't just zones full of quests then this isn't the game for you. I don't know if any games releasing these days have big expansive worlds, for the most part its zone after zone of structured content that you work your way through.

About MxO I also loved that game as broken as it was it was good fun and Mega City was huge!

thank you SlickShoes, 

i have realized this game is not for me, that much is obvious. i coudnt agree with your stance more. its not that im not down for the difficulty im just not down with the "progression"

seems like the whole game is a rinse repeat of  "quest alone for gear 90% of the time, play with others 10% of the time"

shit just doesnt seem like an mmo to me either.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Well.. first up, there is nothing 'random' about this game (except for maybe the bugs, lol).

Quests are static, always.

- That said, I'm not surprised by the OP's post. Many of the zones in this game feel very empty. There was the initial rush of players, but they are now almost all at the end of the game. There just aren't that many people in kingsport atm, and even egypt is starting to dry up.

I tried going back through on an alt last week, and it definitely did feel 'dead'. What doesn't help is that the environment reinforces this feeling, because it's a zombie / demon invested post-apocalyptic setting. It's designed to feel like there aren't that many survivors (which the exception of egypt).

The way the game is currently, newer player will probably want to find a cabal that will help them w/ newer content, or bring friends to play with. Many aspects of the game are more fun with others, but most of the game isn't designed for groups. You can group, sure (aside from solo-instances), but most of the PvE content outside of dungeons is soloable.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Maybe the old mmorpgs where like that and more "mmo", but i don't see where any new mmois any differnt.

Huh, what do you mean? I don't understand your post sorry!

Originally posted by Then

The MMO-People have been crying about finishing a game 2 quicly, now you are crying because you feel alone? And that you are confronted by quests that are awesome and fun, but hard 2 do, since they require you 2 think.

The common point here is most ppl always cry, if you feel like bursting into tears, please go ahead, but just don't even think that anyone that gets TSW would care :)

This has been the most engaging game I have played in years, And I will still play this in 6months because its that good.

Yes its hard

Yes its not for everyone

And if its not for you, don't blame the game, rather look in the mirror and ask yourself...

There is a saying that goes, no Pain no Gain, and this is the first game that gets that we want Pain :)

Because who would care about you being QL20 if it took you 20yours 2 get?

Frankly not me...

This is oldschool, so suck it :)

This is NOT old school, nowhere in the OP did he say the game was hard, the game is not hard especially not the questing. The investigations are very challenging and that is good but the OP is not even talking about that. I think you didn't read his post.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I played in 3 TSW BWEs with 3 RL friends and enjoyed the game for the most part, however when my friends were off line i felt alone, VERY ALONE and the game pace of course slowed greatly and was less fun but i was still able to solo..

This game is old skool and can be tedious with grouping a must in order to get the most out of it, yet the game (at least in beta)made grouping and especially keeping a group together through the solo only events an annoying process especially if you are grouped with players from the getgo..

When playing alone in an mmo you should feel alone..

TSW may not be your game..

Playing GW2..

Simple. You say the game is like a single player with co-op. True, i feel that, but honeslty, how's that any different from WOW, RIFTY, SWTOR, TERA, GW2, etc.

I meantion the old mmos because i never played them, but the new wave of mmorpgs are 90% solo with some optional grouping, just like TSW.

In all of them, you have groups of RL friends, familities and guildies isolated from the rest of the community. Really, i get TSW's SP thing, but that's pretty much every mmo

Originally posted by Then

The common point here is most ppl always cry, if you feel like bursting into tears, please go ahead, but just don't even think that anyone that gets TSW would care :)

Yes its hard

Yes its not for everyone

And if its not for you, don't blame the game, rather look in the mirror and ask yourself...

There is a saying that goes, no Pain no Gain, and this is the first game that gets that we want Pain :)

Because who would care about you being QL20 if it took you 20yours 2 get?

Frankly not me...

This is oldschool, so suck it :)

This is NOT old school, nowhere in the OP did he say the game was hard, the game is not hard especially not the questing. The investigations are very challenging and that is good but the OP is not even talking about that. I think you didn't read his post.

Slick, 

i thank you for your effort in my thread, i kinda had a certain idea that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, would see where im coming from. ive been scouring the mmo world for a game to play as a of late and i cant find ANYTHING. waiting on "Forge" atm.

• AlanakoAlanako Member Posts: 188
    The game didnt seem to be for you, specially if what you want is to do its endgame, as there is none. The game is primary a story, and that seems to be something you are not interested
    As a side note, "leveling" in fusang is one of the faster ways to do it at lower levels. Alhough later in the game, doing mission in transilvania/farming mobs its faster.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Unkillable

thank you SlickShoes, 

i have realized this game is not for me, that much is obvious. i coudnt agree with your stance more. its not that im not down for the difficulty im just not down with the "progression"

seems like the whole game is a rinse repeat of  "quest alone for gear 90% of the time, play with others 10% of the time"

Thing is you didn't get very far and from the sounds of it, neither did slickshoes.

I am at the end game and having went through alot of the content and still going back to the zones I went through I am still finding quests I have never done, and as far as grouping goes? Yeah alot of the quests past savage coast you will need groups for afew of them then alot of them depending on what your build is, instead of bashing the game try to get to transivania first and  go into the shadowy forest and lets see how long you last without a group soloing the Pudurii or whatever they spell it lol.

As far as the rinse and repeat, you have no idea how to even play the game considering that there are hundreds of combos you can do, Simple thing , if you want to group up for these " Harder " missions then talk to people , if not then don't come here saying bs like that, or if you want a hard game go play EverQuest on a progression server I garantee that is the hardest mmo to date ever, and lets see if you have the same problems , my guess is you will.

Originally posted by sr7olsniper

I can't really say I agree with you OP. I went into TSW expecting very little, I knew that there wouldn't be levels and or classes and I went in there with an open mind. I heard about the questing and I admitt I found it intriging so as far as questing go I do them for the plot rather than the rewards. For me, the SP and AP I get by gaining the XP is reward enough as I am still in Kingsmouth and havn't really found a wall. What keeps me exiting is that carrot on a stick that is called skill wheel. I am always looking forward for my next stack of AP that I can use to further increase my Pistol or Elemental Load out. To me this is incentive enough to quest aside from experience the story, but that is just me. 

If I had to give you advice, I would suggest you stop looking at this mmo like you would, say WoW. Dont do quests for the rewards but for the story they give, like you would on any single player RPG. Last time I checked I didnt do a quest from an NPC in a FF game just to get some rewards, I do it to further progress the story. IF you think as TSW as a Single player game with multiplayer then I think you would see the game in a new light. 

Agree with this post 100% treat the questing as a single player game and everything seems much better, the way I have been playing is I either log in wanting to follow a story and I get engrossed by the quests or I log in and want to play group content, I will try and group up for dungeons or do PvP. I find it hard to do both at the same time, so when questing you need to focus on that looking for a dungeon group ofcourse is possible but the quests are quite involved and often you will either be in a cutscene/instance or just engrossed in it at that point and not want to leave it to do a group based activity.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Not at all, from the moment i logged in there was hundreds of people around me and whenever im running missions there are always people around to group up with and so on.. So for me i dont feel alone one bit... infact its the total opposite..

Slow and painful advancement? There have been posts saying the total opposite and people complaining the game is too short..

For me as a casual player a few hours a night if im lucky the pace of advancement is perfect, its in no way slow or painfull.

Your not randomly questing if you listen to ro read the quests.. i dont really understand where your coming from? There is a main story to follow, then are also other quest lines to follow.. i guess sometimes you do come accross random quests in certain areas but this is a good thing? what else do you want in a themepark MMORPG?

So no dont find it lonely or slow.. hell and really not lacking in new player help lol..

Dont play alone at all always people around to group with.

Grinding missing? I dont grind i enjoy the game if you dont enjoy the game then dont play it lol i really dont get people complaining about a grind in a game... if you find somthing a grind and boring your not enjoying it.

You can lvl up in pvp fine. OF course your gonna get killed by people who have played longer than you, stick in a big group and help the big group out.

Dont play alone group up simple..

Simple. You say the game is like a single player with co-op. True, i feel that, but honeslty, how's that any different from WOW, RIFTY, SWTOR, TERA, GW2, etc.

I meantion the old mmos because i never played them, but the new wave of mmorpgs are 90% solo with some optional grouping, just like TSW.

In all of them, you have groups of RL friends, familities and guildies isolated from the rest of the community. Really, i get TSW's SP thing, but that's pretty much every mmo

Yeah we agree then haha, that was my point most modern games are like this to find something like I think the OP wants he is going to have to go back and play some older games or wait for that mythical super MMO most vets are waiting on perpetually.

Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by Unkillable

thank you SlickShoes, 

Thing is you didn't get very far and from the sounds of it, neither did slickshoes.

I am at the end game and having went through alot of the content and still going back to the zones I went through I am still finding quests I have never done, and as far as grouping goes? Yeah alot of the quests past savage coast you will need groups for afew of them then alot of them depending on what your build is, instead of bashing the game try to get to transivania first and  go into the shadowy forest and lets see how long you last without a group soloing the Pudurii or whatever they spell it lol.

As far as the rinse and repeat, you have no idea how to even play the game considering that there are hundreds of combos you can do, Simple thing , if you want to group up for these " Harder " missions then talk to people , if not then don't come here saying bs like that, or if you want a hard game go play EverQuest on a progression server I garantee that is the hardest mmo to date ever, and lets see if you have the same problems , my guess is you will.

Well I am never going to catch up with you working full time and having other hobbies, also when I play a zone I like to complete it so I will stick around and hunt for quests I have missed or areas I have missed out, once I have cleared a zone there really won't be much going back to find things I have missed.

I don't think telling someone the game really gets good at transylvania is acceptable, thats like saying play the game for 48 hours + then it gets good, if the OP doesn't like it within 24 hours then stop playing. I knew with in the first 24 hours that I liked the game hence why I am still playing!

Woops double post!

• z4osloz4oslo Member Posts: 27

I dont see the point of this thread?

If others feel the same as you, would you feel better in some way?

You have a hard time getting in to the game. Hey.. thats perfectly ok. Clearly this game (or any game for that matter) isnt for everyone.

This game treats players a little different, and some things are just plain hard in this game. Some mobs will own your ass many times, some quests you will need help for etc.

I like the game simply because they did a damn good job with the story, and the fact that they put so many things in the game that is from our own history.

Like when i got to egypt and saw a huge dinosaur skeleton .. and i was like .. what the .. really? So i googled it, and two of the biggest skeletons ever discovered was in whats now Sahara, but some millions years ago the area was more like Everglades with sumps and whatsnot.

I happened to learn something new, and thats what i love about this game.

Plus, they have promised to make investigation quests even harder, so people really must work together to solve it. Brings me back to the adventure games before internet came along.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It's hugely different from all those games except for SWTOR.

For starters, having GW2 on that list is questionable, as there is soo much evidence showing how that game is designed from the ground-up with grouping in mind (and has also been explained to death by both devs & fans alike). If you don't understand that, then it will be very difficult to talk game design with you.

Secondly, with the exception of SWTOR, none of the games you listed are designed around the single player experience. Yes, they all have issues of player retention, and yes you can play all games by yourself or in a group (outside of dungeons). However, games like Rift have public events, which draw strangers towards the same location and encourage them to play together. WAR did the same thing. WoW, while designed with the idea that the solo player would be able to access it easily, it has less barriers to grouping than SWTOR and TSW do. For starters, the game doesn't have solo instances. It also has multiple tools built into the game to make getting groups easier. TERA is also designed with groups in mind, but it focuses much more heavily on the guild aspect than the casual.

To put it plainly, TSW is basically using an MMO model that was started back with FFXI. FFXI was the first MMO (that I can think of), that heavily emphasized your own personal story above everything else. SWTOR took this to the next lvl, by more heavily integrating story elements into everything, and introducing more solo instances into an MMO environment. TSW takes this a few steps further.

None of the other games you've mentioned place personal story & solo instancing above everything else. Hell, TSW even has a special 'mission slot' for it right at the top of the list. GW2 may have a personal story, but it makes it very easy for you to bring others into the instances with you, as well has numerous mechanics in place to allow for organic grouping if you don't want to deal w/ the hastle of managing the UI menus.

Yeah we agree then haha, that was my point most modern games are like this to find something like I think the OP wants he is going to have to go back and play some older games or wait for that mythical super MMO most vets are waiting on perpetually.

Yeah, it's the thing with mmorpgs nowadays. They somewhat are co-op games. When you think about it, you have a group of RL people and every other person in-game is basically just there for "decoration".

What i find really sad, is that the best "mmo" feature we have today is PQ's an variations like Rifts and DE. Unfortuantly, it's the same as zerging an open world boss in other mmos.

That's why i prefer player driven world where the community sets it's own goals and objectives. For example, in TSW, using a theatre in London, rp'ers doing plays for the community. That kind of stuff. But in themeparks, those activities are like 10% of the whole thing.

Oh, well, i like you say, i guess the OP wants an mmorpg like the old ones. TSW isn't that. In fact, i don't think one should look for those games in mainstream mmos