Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Whats wrong with swtor.

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/john-riccitello-discusses-the-impact-of-the-free-to-play-market/

This makes comlete sense. Its all the amazing new ftp games that killed swtor, not the fact that the game is a pile of hot garbage.

Reality check, if this game was ok, not even great or good, just ok it would have been fine. But it was shallow copy paste single player garbage that was made for wow players, showing complete disrespect for the fans that got it funded in the first place. Best of all tes is doing the exact same thing.

Comments

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by TJixlee
    [mod edit]

I wouldnt say he was crying, i would say he was making bad excuses about why swtor failed and is on life support. [mod edit]

• BardusBardus Cornet, ALPosts: 460Member

EA just keeps making it worse on themselves. Sure all the PR reps are insisting that the truth hurts but if EA will just own up to the real issue and stop trying to deflect it on everyone else but themselves then they might gain a little respect and understanding from the fans. All things like this do is make them more and more the ass because we all know what is really wrong.

EA is acting like a 12 year old caught in a gay act by his redneck father. Anything and I mean anything but the truth.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

First is was because of summer, then it was because of weekends, then it was the NBA playoffs, then it was TSW, now it's FTP. Pathetic.

• SindorinSindorin Dayton, OHPosts: 17Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/john-riccitello-discusses-the-impact-of-the-free-to-play-market/

This makes comlete sense. Its all the amazing new ftp games that killed swtor, not the fact that the game is a pile of hot garbage.

Reality check, if this game was ok, not even great or good, just ok it would have been fine. But it was shallow copy paste single player garbage that was made for wow players, showing complete disrespect for the fans that got it funded in the first place. Best of all tes is doing the exact same thing.

Judging by your quote, I am guessing you expected SWG v2.0? SWGEmu is thataway --->

SWTOR is great for those who knew what to expect. It's horrible for the folks who thought it was the next greatest Sandbox MMO, and people looking to roleplay a wookie jedi, artisan brawler Sith Emperor.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye jarrowPosts: 1,016Member

The real question is "whats right with swtor?"

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye jarrowPosts: 1,016Member
    Originally posted by Sindorin

Judging by your quote, I am guessing you expected SWG v2.0? SWGEmu is thataway --->

SWTOR is great for those who knew what to expect. It's horrible for the folks who thought it was the next greatest Sandbox MMO, and people looking to roleplay a wookie jedi, artisan brawler Sith Emperor.

If anyone thought it was going to be a sandbox mmo, then they didnt do any research beforehand.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Amory, MSPosts: 2,544Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

If anyone thought it was going to be a sandbox mmo, then they didnt do any research beforehand.

And yet to this day people still criticize SW:TOR more for what it isn't than what it is.

SW:TOR has problems, but you rarely hear people talking about them.  I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the whiners didn't even play long enough to comment on issues within the game itself.  Rather all you hear is the game doesn't have this or the game should have had that.  Nevertheless, SW:TOR is exactly what the developers promised it would be.  

It's not perfect, and it needs work if it wants to survive for the long haul, but the base game is as it should be.

• yodablazeyodablaze fortwashington, NVPosts: 234Member
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

And yet to this day people still criticize SW:TOR more for what it isn't than what it is.

SW:TOR has problems, but you rarely hear people talking about them.  I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the whiners didn't even play long enough to comment on issues within the game itself.  Rather all you hear is the game doesn't have this or the game should have had that.  Nevertheless, SW:TOR is exactly what the developers promised it would be.  

It's not perfect, and it needs work if it wants to survive for the long haul, but the base game is as it should be.

I agree. It is what it should be and it isn't much more than what I would expect. It just isn't what I had "hoped" for. The game plays fine and is quite fun up to level 27-30 before it starts to fade a bit.

The game isn't bad at all, the bashing is not waranted at all. For a subscribtion based game it just lacks enough fun factor to keep players paying a monthly fee to play. Making it F2P would kill it for me so I hope they find a better way to maintain their player base.

• william0532william0532 portland, ORPosts: 251Member

I just wrote up about 30 reasons as to why tor is an uninspired, and its problems, than I realized I'm becoming one of those people that get way bent out of shape about a game that pissed them off. So, long story short, tor doesn't have anything other than lightsabers that made any other starwars game fun. Nothing, crap I would have thought they could have at least ripped kotor off for some inspiration, but instead they pumped out a snoozer of a game.

I want to go back in time and kick my own own arse for buying the DDE! What can I say, for some reason every time George lucas squeezes out a steamer, I have to give it a whiff. Than you throw bioware in the mix, and they clench out something, well hell, I was sold.

I played the game as long as I could before I realized, this is the model, this is what it will always be and that there probably won't been any major shifts in development for anything other than what it is. I've moved on, and it has nothing to do with any free to play games out there, in fact, hell this is the first time in my life where I have no active sub to anything(at least until I give GW2 a try-and no, I'm not saying that its the next coming, just that I'm going to try it like I tried tsw)

• DakeruDakeru Posts: 1,657Member Uncommon

The real question is "whats right with swtor?"

Nolan North as Jedi Consular 

I have an entitlement delusion - because I have this strange idea that my 50$ should have the same value as anyone else's 50$
    "Your account is not entitled to the same value as a new account. Just saying you are entitled to the same as someone else because you said so is exactly what expresses your entitlement issues."

• SindorinSindorin Dayton, OHPosts: 17Member
    Originally posted by william0532

I just wrote up about 30 reasons as to why tor is an uninspired, and its problems, than I realized I'm becoming one of those people that get way bent out of shape about a game that pissed them off. So, long story short, tor doesn't have anything other than lightsabers that made any other starwars game fun. Nothing, crap I would have thought they could have at least ripped kotor off for some inspiration, but instead they pumped out a snoozer of a game.

I want to go back in time and kick my own own arse for buying the DDE! What can I say, for some reason every time George lucas squeezes out a steamer, I have to give it a whiff. Than you throw bioware in the mix, and they clench out something, well hell, I was sold.

I played the game as long as I could before I realized, this is the model, this is what it will always be and that there probably won't been any major shifts in development for anything other than what it is. I've moved on, and it has nothing to do with any free to play games out there, in fact, hell this is the first time in my life where I have no active sub to anything(at least until I give GW2 a try-and no, I'm not saying that its the next coming, just that I'm going to try it like I tried tsw)

Are you even a star wars fan? Did you even play KOTOR, or are you just pulling phantom rabbits out of a moldy hat? Seriously? I really want to know, because it seems to me that you either have not played the game, or didn't play it past the first level. It has everything KOTOR did and many see it as a fault in fact. You obviously have been spoiled to horrible games if you think this is a shoddy MMO in terms of lore.

AS for mechanics, and content, they are a mixed bag. For some it's not enoguh, and other's it's plenty. The developers stated from the get go that they were not bothering to cater to hardcore players and that's why a lot of people like this game. It's also why a lot of people don't like it. They made a deliberate choice to not cater to people who beat a game, and then move on. in the end, the future will vindicate this choice because as we will see with GW2: that crowd is not a loyal fan base. They are a "flavor of the month" gamer's club.

• ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member

^^ This seems to be a post about stopping the bleeding due to slanderous accusations by haters.

Only problem is that to many people (and I understand that is subjective) the game that was launched failed to support the consumers. It is an accurate depiction of this game to describe it as not having depth of features or content as compared to other choices (other games out now). That may not be your experience, but a lot have people have voted with their feet.

You like the game, and you don't feel it will die any time soon.

Great for you (as you are in the group who will continue to sub), but the lost subs are not due to haters, SWTOR lost those subs because of its design.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• william0532william0532 portland, ORPosts: 251Member
    Originally posted by william0532

Are you even a star wars fan? Did you even play KOTOR, or are you just pulling phantom rabbits out of a moldy hat? Seriously? I really want to know, because it seems to me that you either have not played the game, or didn't play it past the first level. It has everything KOTOR did and many see it as a fault in fact. You obviously have been spoiled to horrible games if you think this is a shoddy MMO in terms of lore.

AS for mechanics, and content, they are a mixed bag. For some it's not enoguh, and other's it's plenty. The developers stated from the get go that they were not bothering to cater to hardcore players and that's why a lot of people like this game. It's also why a lot of people don't like it. They made a deliberate choice to not cater to people who beat a game, and then move on. in the end, the future will vindicate this choice because as we will see with GW2: that crowd is not a loyal fan base. They are a "flavor of the month" gamer's club.

You got me, I was pretending to be a starwars fan to get the chicks. No, my point was, taris was three dimensional, I felt like the underworld was deep under the city. Manaan, didn't feel like another human planet with a different color, it had it's own vibe, laws and look that made it unique. And kashykk? C'mon man, that planet again felt unique, I was genuinely excited to see what was around the corner. Tor didn't ever hit that spot for me, it was easy for me to log off for the night. Coruscant was flat...the planets felt the same, basically split between humans on one side, and humans on another side, or humans in a dessert, or humans in the snow. Voss was alright, had the best story in my opinion as far as being unique culturally, kind of veers off at that end though.

And as far as lore, yeah I get it, Tor delivered lots of it, believe it or not I read every entry to my codex(see the problem there), and they made up alot of new stuff for starwars, unfortunately it just doesn't resonate with alot of people. Its like if someone made a lord of the rings spin off about a species that lived in an island that you never saw in anything else movie or book. Sure its part of that "universe" but it doesn't resonate that connection.

Also when I say it didn't pull from other starwars games, it really didn't. What starwars tunnel shooter was successful? I mean, theres several pretty good examples of what space could have been. Theres plenty of examples of how planets in starwars could have been, but to me they where not designed that way. Thay are very simply designed. Its just not for me.

The mechanics? Hmm, not sure what your referencing too, but I thought the mechanics where decent, and pretty well balanced pre 1.2. Unfortunately it just wasn't enough. 5 warzones still feels repetitive. I get it, I know my job, I know where to stand, and what to do. I get a couple of mvp votes and usually get a top spot(in dps, and I know, and agree dps doesn't make you good lol, before anyone tells me) my point it, its like a dance recital. After my guild got the strategies down, it got boring for me(as far as pvp).

Raids where ok, of course when I got full rakata off hardmodes, and I realized that nightmare gave nothing different, I did them once or twice and chapped my guilds arse when I came up with a different excuse every thursday night raid call.

Plus, I didn't get the same thrill from the story in tor as I did from Kotor, bounty hunter,marauder, smuggler(thats the only three I got to 50) and none of them came close to the story from kotor, hell I like kotor 2 more(once I got the update and could understand what the hell was happening lol)

You don't need to question my starwars fandom, I'm a nerd, I like it. I'll continue to like it. I just honestly feel like I beat swtor, and the only thing left to do is get ready to grind conqueror gear, or whatever the next tier of raid gear will be called.(after blackhole). I just wasn't having fun with it, and I don't have a problem with those that do have fun with it.  

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,931Member Uncommon

I thought the single player aspect was VERY good.  Better than either KOTOR game by far.  I just wouldn't pay a sub for it.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada BerlinPosts: 1,277Member Uncommon

What i like in SWTOR:
    The Companions - i like pet classes and now everyone becomes a pet class by chance.
    The Story - at least in parts as to me i do like a good story in any rpg.

What i dislike:
    The Story - bcs its often so shallow, throws superlatives around like others candies in fasching and inflates the story so much with it that it feels ridiculous and totally degraded and worthless.
    The Worlds - i have never encountered such a static world, fundamentallly most mmos be static but at least the stage you play on is filled with live and SWTOR is simply a dead static stage.
    The Graphics - no high resolution textures, slightly leaning towards WOWs unproportional and mean bad boy wannabes style, bad colourization, artificial appearance.
    The Crafting - another could have been great implementation that ends up as useless timesink.
    The Replayability - its simply not there as the story is so bad and the worlds so static.
    The Raids and Dungeons - released quite buggy and were boring after the initial run.
    The PvP - its only a sidekick to me in mmorpgs but it stil was very bad and only a tool to exploit the mechanic and it was forseeable.

The game was only worth the the 3 months and that only bcs the curiosity drove the motivation to play it quite a bit higher.
    I did not play it bcs its Star Wars but bcs Bioware usually has good storys in their games and to play a bioware game coop sounded intriguing.
    It helped that i like Science Fiction but there is no good Science Fiction mmorpg out there (EvE misses to much what i call "mysteries of space" - its simply a space based crime and economy warfare game and good for that but not intriguing to me).

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• AhnogAhnog Keller, TXPosts: 231Member Uncommon

Outside of a few bugs that are common to MMOs there is nothing wrong with SWTOR.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• MosesZDMosesZD Kirkwood, MOPosts: 1,383Member

I read a similar article at GameSpot.     I had an lol moment.

They've lost over $3 billion in the past six years (without a nickel's worth of annual profit to staunch the bleeding anywhere in there) and they still think they make good games.    The truth is they make bad/second-rate games and have made a lot of bad decisions about the franchises that carried them to the top as they turn them into bad games.

If they made straight-up good games, they'd make money.   If they made good games they wouldn't be spending 2/3rds as much on marketing as they do in software development.   

• KrasnijKrasnij ViennaPosts: 40Member

nah Swtor is where it belongs , cause every game has the subscribers it deserves, its ok but nothing groundbraking, if you want more, you have to deliver more... thats it simply!

• grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,874Member Uncommon

Another GW2 fan to come bashing SWTOR.  Move along, nothing to see here.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI SpbPosts: 266Member

I think SWTOR fans are just butthurt they dont get a chance (and wont, probably) to come bash GW2 back

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member

I don't think the game is "garbage".

Just doesn't have anything going on to keep many long term in the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary AgadirPosts: 646Member

There is always somethign wrong with a MMO, nothign is perfect but people love to over react on these forums when it comes to SWTOR. I played it for a month enjoyed my time and move on to something else.

I don't think game is garbage either. it is a fun game which appeals to lots of players who are obviously busy playing the game while those who hate it spend time ripping it apart on forums.

• grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,874Member Uncommon

Exactly,  This incessant bashing of games needs to really stop on these forums.  It's one thing to critique a game, but when you create threads to simply attack the game and fanbase, it really serves no purpose.

I played the game for six months and enjoyed thoroughly (longer than I play most MMOs).  In contrast, I played Eve Online for three weeks and couldn't bear to log in again.  You dont see me going to their forums posting what is "wrong" with their game.  Just do the grownup thing and move on.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Gotham, FLPosts: 426Member

I agree with everything but the highlighted.

FTP games did not kill SWTOR, its an average game and that is not worth $15 a month.

As for the WoW comment, NO. SWTOR is KOTOR, a single player game that had online content thrown in. Just because SWTOR has single player content, that doesnt make it for WoW players...almost every single MMORPG ever made had single player content...and WoW was for RAIDERS and Hardcore people, not for carebare soloers who would have missed out on the majority of dungeons and group content.

• AdiarisAdiaris RomePosts: 381Member
    Originally posted by ignore_me

^^ This seems to be a post about stopping the bleeding due to slanderous accusations by haters.

Only problem is that to many people (and I understand that is subjective) the game that was launched failed to support the consumers. It is an accurate depiction of this game to describe it as not having depth of features or content as compared to other choices (other games out now). That may not be your experience, but a lot have people have voted with their feet.

You like the game, and you don't feel it will die any time soon.

Great for you (as you are in the group who will continue to sub), but the lost subs are not due to haters, SWTOR lost those subs because of its design.

This. 

My not liking SWTOR had zero to do with expectations of it being sandbox(?) and everything to do with how shallow, flat and uninspired the core design of the game is. If the content of the game had been exactly the same but with more depth and thought to each aspect (from planet design to talent trees & class mechanics, from space combat to character and ship customization) I probably would have found it possible to enjoy it a bit more. 

Back on topic (kinna). I'll say it again, someone needs to gag EAware's spokespeople (or fire their PR team) the coverage they put out does more harm than good and is unfailingly consistent in further damaging the game's reputation.