Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prepare yourself, QQstorm is comming!

Comments

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by lilHeala
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by Freedom4u2

To be fair WvWvW is NOT real open world PvP. Just thought I'd correct a falacy there :).

Depends what definition of the term you personally prefer, and "real" is at best already subjective.

Its not open world pvp as we know of it. It is however open world pvp in a very big instanced area.

So, Illum in SWTOR and Fusang in TSW are open world pvp too? Cool.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I think people STILL complaining about P2Win in WvW really just don't understand that 1 vs 1 will be so rare...

Make friends, stop worrying about P2W - done!

AND that your server will be matched against similar servers, so the ones that would/will "dominate" you you might play.. once? ever?

Fairness in PvP is something so few can understand, of course they can't understand how there is no P2W in WvW.

The main problem of those people is that they dont want to understand it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LurianarLurianar Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

To be fair WvWvW is NOT real open world PvP. Just thought I'd correct a falacy there :).

Depends what definition of the term you personally prefer, and "real" is at best already subjective.

Its not open world pvp as we know of it. It is however open world pvp in a very big instanced area.

Unless you can level solely from these zones, they are not. You cannot compare GW2 WvWvW with SW:ToR PvP -- it's two complete different world, both litteral and gameplay-wise. You can level in the same huge world from A to Z in guild wars, while you can't in SW:ToR. SW:ToR isn't open world PvP. GW2 is.

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I think people STILL complaining about P2Win in WvW really just don't understand that 1 vs 1 will be so rare...

Make friends, stop worrying about P2W - done!

AND that your server will be matched against similar servers, so the ones that would/will "dominate" you you might play.. once? ever?

Fairness in PvP is something so few can understand, of course they can't understand how there is no P2W in WvW.

The main problem of those people is that they dont want to understand it.

Exactly- They choose not to. 

Plus with that point of view most the time, they act like brick walls. All the information in the world will just hit them and bounce right off.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

Who knows, maybe once some people actually check out the gem shop, they will see for them self that there isn't anything in there to give you an advantage over everyone else. (Other than xp boosts and being able to level faster which in my opinion isn't an advantage)

It will be pretty chaotic with more people per server and the character wipe happening. Should be quite a lot of fun!

See you guys in game :)

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I believe we'll see a lot of these:

• GW2 is pay to win with the gem store

More like pay to hold more junk and pay to look cooler.  No real "win" there.

• Gameplay isn't real action gameplay

Anything with activated dodge and can let you escape projectiles is action enough for me.

• No endgame

"... that is like a typical MMO".  Even though there are also "typical" endgame elements.

• WvWvW isn't real open world PvP 

Is there a dedicated map for PvP? Is it big? Can you PvP anywhere on that map? Oh, people have a choice of being there or not, that's what doesn't make it "real" open world.

TIP: Turn off the zone chat and get in a guild with friends and relax. It greatly help to enjoy the game to the maximum.

This is a requirement in almost any case in almost any game unfortunately.

People are always going to compare what they want in an MMO to any game coming out.  Then there are those that will complain just to complain because it seems to them like a sign of intelligence.  Either way it's a good idea to always come to your own conclusions even if it's just watching the large amount of videos out there.

In my opinion 60.00 is not a whole lot if your on the fence.  If you play consoles you've probably paid just as much for a game that gave you >30 hours of gameplay.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Well Im happy enough to be in.  I'm going in with the attitude that there WILL BE things I dont like.  Period.  If I dont find any then I must have missed something.  All I care about is if the good out weighs the negative.  That's what Im expecting at least. 

However also keep in mind that at least some complaints will be constructive and there's no need to label them QQ'ers or whiners or anything like that.  Although I do kind of think its funny there's a thread complaining about the complainers before they even start complaining.  Hmmm.....

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Unless you can level solely from these zones, they are not. You cannot compare GW2 WvWvW with SW:ToR PvP -- it's two complete different world, both litteral and gameplay-wise. You can level in the same huge world from A to Z in guild wars, while you can't in SW:ToR. SW:ToR isn't open world PvP. GW2 is.

This.

Let me know when Illum and Fusang has all the activities and size you have in WvW.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Well Im happy enough to be in.  I'm going in with the attitude that there WILL BE things I dont like.  Period.  If I dont find any then I must have missed something.  All I care about is if the good out weighs the negative.  That's what Im expecting at least. 

However also keep in mind that at least some complaints will be constructive and there's no need to label them QQ'ers or whiners or anything like that.  Although I do kind of think its funny there's a thread complaining about the complainers before they even start complaining.  Hmmm.....

Well Malcom ... I mean Core... sorry....

Expecting the trolls/haters to not pounce on any GW2 thread is "a long wait for a train don't come."

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

They should probably just make a generic, non-game specific version of this thread and sticky it on the front of the page.

People will start complaining about a game before it even exists, will complain about it when it's announced, and won't stop even years after the game is discontinued (Notice you can still find complaints about Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa, just offhand).

Complaining about things is just one more way to occupy yourself. :)  People will complain about things they know nothing about, they'll complain about legitimate things, they'll complain about things that are opinion and accuse anybody holding a contrary opinion of being deluded.

That's just... that's just people.

It's not even restricted to MMORPGs, or this forum.  People are whiny.  Hey, it worked when we were babies, no reason to stop now, right? :)

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

This.

Let me know when Illum and Fusang has all the activities and size you have in WvW.

What has size got anything to do with open world PVP? it is more about game mechanics than size of the map.

Originally posted by lifeordinary

This.

What has size got anything to do with open world PVP? it is more about game mechanics than size of the map.

You guys are right, its not open world pvp. Its a big instanced arena, lets leave it at that cause this might blow up for no good reason.

On with the topic at hand....

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

Get ready to see a lot of QQ next weekend. With all those beta key being given away for the last BWE, you'll be seeing a lot of fanboy from all games trying to bash GW2 to the ground and who didn't pay to get in the game. As if it wasn't enough, their implementation of the online store might even make things worse.

I believe we'll see a lot of these:

• GW2 is pay to win with the gem store

• Gameplay isn't real action gameplay

• No endgame

• WvWvW isn't real open world PvP

I probably missed a lot, but you see my point. While those of us who've been reading a lot about the game know those points are all false, it can deteriorate the experience some people might have in the next beta. May you be a veteran from the beta (BWE 1, 2 & 3) or a newcommer in the world of guild wars, I just want to tell you guys to not listen to this and enjoy the next BWE3 as much as you can.

TIP: Turn off the zone chat and get in a guild with friends and relax. It greatly help to enjoy the game to the maximum.

1.) The Gemstorye isn't too p2w-ish now, i think what people are afraid of is the potential for p2w. If you don't really NEED anything, as most players are claiming from the casshop then many players, most of whom are younger people and probably don't have much cash(why the want everything to be f2p imho) won't spend any money.  This would leave arena net in a position of haivng to make things in their item shop compelling. This way lay p2w. Before i get flamed by militant fanboys, know that I am saying this could happen, it is a realistic scenario, but it is by no means for sure what's going to happen.

2.)  I myself would like the combat to be less "action" oriented as whack-a-mole console style game play doesn't appeal to me, you'll probably see complaints from the "we want everythign to be an fps game" crowd  and from people that think like me.

3.) I don't know that the lack of end game bothers me. Due to level scaling as you level you not only open new areas you can access, but the ones you left remain viable. I also read that even after you max leve you can get additional skill points, this will keep people playing while not turning it into a second job. Some of us have careers, wives/girlfriends, and like to see outside once in awhile. This is actually a huge selling point for the game with me and I am still not convinced its going to be any good, in other words a critic.

4.) I played open world ffa pvp on mordred back in the day.  So long as you're in the early wave of 50s its great, after that your server dies on the vine due to twinks and grey ganking douche lords that discourage new players from sticking around. Half arsed world pvp ala wow may as well not exist either. Its better this way, you do your quest and your dungeon crawls in safety and comfort, aside from the environment with your friends and guidlies, when its time for mayhem you hit the mists and go get thos shiney relics for your realm.

This game has many concerns for me. The fan reactions of radical negativity to any mention of possible failings turns me off and makes me hope none of those people are on my server, but its ke Ben Kenobi right now, the empire of bad mmorpgs has dominated the mmoverse and GW2 is our only hope........................................well, until someone else comes along with a reasonable concept.

More like a thread to tell people to prepare to the qqstorm comming so it doesn't make their experience bad on what is supposed to be the best beta event of Guild Wars 2 ;)

I also want to add that I labeled nothing and took a particular attention to this point. I want this experience to be as positive as possible.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Corehaven However also keep in mind that at least some complaints will be constructive and there's no need to label them QQ'ers or whiners or anything like that.  Although I do kind of think its funny there's a thread complaining about the complainers before they even start complaining.  Hmmm.....
     They should probably just make a generic, non-game specific version of this thread and sticky it on the front of the page.

People will start complaining about a game before it even exists, will complain about it when it's announced, and won't stop even years after the game is discontinued (Notice you can still find complaints about Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa, just offhand).

Complaining about things is just one more way to occupy yourself. :)  People will complain about things they know nothing about, they'll complain about legitimate things, they'll complain about things that are opinion and accuse anybody holding a contrary opinion of being deluded.

That's just... that's just people.

It's not even restricted to MMORPGs, or this forum.  People are whiny.  Hey, it worked when we were babies, no reason to stop now, right? :)

You betcha! :)

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

You can solely level from PvP. You can join the PvP world as soon as level 1. You can buy gear, kill enemies, players, gather skills, gather crafting elements and golds from this place. You could play from 1 to 80 without never leaving this place -- and yes, you can get ganked. However, pretty much everyone is on the same level, so unless you're 80 and gank a level 30 and less, you'll have to fight to get the kill.

This is funny to me. You say it was owpvp because you can level up in it. One blogger said it was because it wasn't instanced. Really, LOL

So, if i make an area with a small keep with a "mini siege", non instanced but with a cap (like WVW), some mobs, quests and you can level there, and it's teh size of a Battleground, i can call it open world pvp? Ok, whatever.

Look, you fell WVW is owpvp. To me, no matter how you sugar it and twist it, it isn't, but that's my opinion. WVW, Illum, Fusang, etc are areas that are seperate in the same style, like Wintergrasp. it's not owpvp IMO.

But then again, nowadays, co-op lobby games like Diablo 3 and GW1 are considered mmos by some, so, meh. Not going to get into this argument. You have your defenition, i have mine. This topic as already been discussed to death

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The "QQstorms" after the previous two BETA weekends has been relatively weak in my opinion. Especially when you consider the sheer amount of players playing the BWEs.

This time there will be even more people playing and checking it out. So yeah, expect negative opinions as always (for all games at any time, really). 

Lets just hope that the posters that have a negative opinion post like adults with well thought out reasoning behind why they dislike certain things. It definitely makes things more interesting when people actually bring forward good points.

You can solely level from PvP. You can join the PvP world as soon as level 1. You can buy gear, kill enemies, players, gather skills, gather crafting elements and golds from this place. You could play from 1 to 80 without never leaving this place -- and yes, you can get ganked. However, pretty much everyone is on the same level, so unless you're 80 and gank a level 30 and less, you'll have to fight to get the kill.

This is funny to me. You say it was owpvp because you can level up in it. One blogger said it was because it wasn't instanced. Really, LOL

So, if i make an area with a small keep with a "mini siege", non instanced but with a cap (like WVW), some mobs, quests and you can level there, and it's teh size of a Battleground, i can call it open world pvp? Ok, whatever.

Look, you fell WVW is owpvp. To me, no matter how you sugar it and twist it, it isn't, but that's my opinion. WVW, Illum, Fusang, etc are areas that are seperate in the same style, like Wintergrasp. it's not owpvp IMO.

But then again, nowadays, co-op lobby games like Diablo 3 and GW1 are considered mmos by some, so, meh. Not going to get into this argument. You have your defenition, i have mine. This topic as already been discussed to death

Fair enough, but I'd like to reiterate my point.  First of all, the size of the whole WvWvW map is much, much bigger than any battleground you might think of. The size of one bloc of WvWvW is roughly the size of two or three regular zones, not to speak of the main WvWvW zone.

Secondly, it's a real time PvP for a simple reason: You do not have to queue, you have objectives and dynamic events, just like any regular leveling zones. The world is huge and you can pretty much attack anyone not in your "faction", which is dictated by your server. There's absolutely no "lobby" to wait in -- and D3 wasn't a MMO. GW 1 is still debated on, but you cannot compare GW2 with GW1, as they're absolutely different games.

Then, you have the amount of people in it. I doubt any regular BG could have over 500 people at the same time. However, real world PvP would. Don't forget everything necessary for world PvP is also present in this world, like attacking someone gathering stuff or working on a dynamic event. If GW 2 isn't real world PvP, then Aion wouldn't be World PvP either. But everyone agree Aion is world PvP and I don't see how the system is any different. Objectives, quests, huge amount of players. But GW 2 have the advantage of quality :)

I agree about this topic has been discussed to death. My definition of world PvP fit WvWvW and not yours.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I hope a banstorm will come along the "QQstorm" comes release so people who have nothing to do here won't be allowed to ruin it...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I hope a banstorm will come along the "QQstorm" comes release so people who have nothing to do here won't be allowed to ruin it...

I know, right:  I mean obviously all dissenting opinions must be squashed.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Anireth          Once you are level 80 and have max stat equipment, which you can easily acquire by playing the story, there is nothing someone can buy to "get a step ahead". They are ahead for some time if they want, but the players who will hit max fastest are not those that buy their way anyways, but those that play 24/7. And a month later you won't know who bought what, as many people are max level, have the best equipment, all skills unlocked etc.

Please help me understand (being completely honest and sincere here).

A month later, a vast amount of the population will be capped with the "best" gear, as per your own statement.  Okay.

Now what is the point in continuing to play?  Honest question.  Or is it a matter of waiting for the first of many paid expansions, at which point gameplay will flourish again..? 

This is all besides the PvP (Wv3) of course, which I'm assuming a decent amount of players won't take part in.. considering the general trend in other games.

So is it cosmetic outfits at this point that you are going after?  Not items to make your character more powerful?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by KingGator
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I know right? I mean obviously all dissenting opinions must be squashed.

People who don't even play the game but who constantly whine about it have nothing to do on a fan forum. And people who play the game but have problems with it should be posting on the game's customer support forums, not here.

I rest my case. I hope utterly negative "trolls" are erradicated once this game is released (August 25.), so that the players can actually share information about the game without every other thread being disrupted by people who are only here to spread negativity and not to participate positively in the community.

And I don't mean "remove all negative opinions" - I mean "remove all those whose every single post is negative and whose obvious agenda is to troll and spread negativity". Which are two very different things.

/out of here.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Acidon
    Originally posted by Anireth          Once you are level 80 and have max stat equipment, which you can easily acquire by playing the story, there is nothing someone can buy to "get a step ahead". They are ahead for some time if they want, but the players who will hit max fastest are not those that buy their way anyways, but those that play 24/7. And a month later you won't know who bought what, as many people are max level, have the best equipment, all skills unlocked etc.

A month later, a vast amount of the population will be capped with the "best" gear, as per your own statement.  Okay.

Now what is the point in continuing to play?  Honest question.  Or is it a matter of waiting for the first of many paid expansions, at which point gameplay will flourish again..? 

This is all besides the PvP (Wv3) of course, which I'm assuming a decent amount of players won't take part in.. considering the general trend in other games.

So is it cosmetic outfits at this point that you are going after?  Not items to make your character more powerful?

The biggest part of your argument I disagree with is pvp. I think its a big mistake to think Gw2s pvp is just like the rest of the MMOs, they designed the game with pvp from the get go and it shows. Its not a tacked on feature and will attract many competitive pvp players. That doesn't even touch the folks who have DAOC nostalgia and WvW is the closest modern replica of that.

Originally posted by Acidon

It's sadly a misconception created by world of warcraft. I'll redirect you here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6574

You'll also have WvWvW if you want real competition PvP wise, but as I can read it sounds like you're not interested in it. But a lot will ;)

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

And that's how gaming should be viewed in it's entirety.

So something has a few bad points, if there are a lot more good points in it then give it a shot. Bugs me that people see one bad thing then go off "I don't like this one thing so whole game sucks and will fail! ROAR!"

And what's this? A contructive complaint can't be called QQ? What blasphemy is this you speak of? image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

This discussion has been closed.