Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An 8.75 really?

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I guess I should've put, it deserves an 8.75, probably even higher if it didn't feel so clunky.  Maybe the release is alot better thant he last beta weekend client, and then by all means it would be a great game.  Probably would deserve a 9.0+.  Just from experience with the game, the coding itself isn't that great.  My laptop that plays AoC on max settings and gets ~15 fps, gets about 3-5 fps in this game, and about 10fps on lowest settings possible in dx11.  My desktop had no problems (except the animations).  Unless they changed how animations are, I don't see how you haven't noticed how the top half of your character flails around akwardly, especially while moving, which in this game you move alot while in combat. 

The combat wheel, and even the premade decks you have to go do some research on wiki's to learn just what the basics of how it works.  The tutorial video doesn't explain a thing really.  I don't mind this so much, I miss the days when you had to run dual monitors (or at least I did) in order to do anything, so you could look up info on one monitor and play the game on the other.

I should also add, I gave the game a 7.3.  Which in my ratings is pretty high up there. My highest rating is only an 8.4 for lotro since it's a "real" mmorpg (you can actually roleplay in it).  I've never ever given a game a 10 and only the games have ever thought of over a 9 imho are The Legend of Zelda on NES, Super Mario 64, and TLZ: Ocarina of time (and 3ds version too).  i just noticed, I'm a freakin nintendo nut lol.  Back on topic, The game would be great if it ran easier on lower spec systems.  i don't know how they expect someone to play it on the minimum required specs.  My computers were both well over the recommended, and my laptop wasn't too great (although it is a laptop).  As with pretty much every other Funcom game however, my rating will probably go up, and it will probably be an 8.75 or higher about 6 months after launch, when I actually buy the game after it's like $10 or something on clearance at the local store (I've given up on buying MMOs at launch).

I guess my biggest peeve I was trying to get across was that every single other game's ratings dropped by at least half a point...did they all release updates that ruined their game or something?  Other than the "Fun" rating, and "graphics" on older games that never updated (which most do), there's not much that should drop thier rating, and not drop them by half a point or more across the thousands of ratings they have.

So you haven't played the game? good to know that you are so bothered with ratings of a game you haven't even played extensively to make your opinion on basis of your own personal experince.

Ever thought that maybe combat is fun for others? i have no qualms about combat.

I am hammer  / shotgun most of the times and i actually enjoy the combat, the aoe abilities and how mobs fly in air when i pound them with elite aoe abilities. It never gets old. yeah it is not to the same leve of Tera but the longest i lasted in Tera was one week. Obviously just good combat wasn't enough but i have no problem if other rate Tera 10/10. Why? because i understand something very simple...

*different strokes for different folks*.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Now I don't get how people rate thier games, I guess they could give everything except gameplay a 10 for this game, and give gameplay a 0, but oh well.  I've noticed there's a sharp drop off in all the other MMOs as well.  Did everyone just give this game a 10 except gameplay, then went and changed thier other ratings on past ratings.  I don't see how you can give an MMO a 8.75 with such a boring combat system.  Combat is one of the primary things you do in an MMO.  Now, I can see giving graphics a 9 or 10, sound a 10, etc. but with combat the way it is (and the animations /puke) there's no way this is an 8.75.   And stop dropping other game's ratings for this one.  Just because you're not playing another game doesn't mean it got any worse...

Some people like Tetris. I don't. The difference between you and I is that I don't go around saying Tetris sucks just because I don't care for it. I find it boring... others find it quite fun. You get me?

I happen to enjoy the combat in the game along with a lot of other folks. Why do you care about the rating in the first place? Does it mean that much to you? If you already know you don't like it, you should just ignore it. 

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

People have different tastes than one another, you can't shot at them just for thinking differently. We have enough of that in the real world already.

Though I will agree about the rating thing. New game comes out and people start to mess with the ratings of other games for whatever reason. Something doesn't compute well. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I find the combat rather good. Better than in most MMOs. Say, EQ2, LOTRO, SWG, or even AOC... The UI is spare and the immediately usable skills are few but the interconnected skill system really plays well into it. The skill wheel does dictate how the combat plays out, and you can change how you fare in an encounter considerably by changing your loadout. I like that.

As for the "action" side of it, to me it doesn't flow that bad. I can pull of most off the moves I want - on the move. I don't get unexpected surprises from clunkiness (sadly this happens a lot in MMOs), and I go from skill to skill / position to position really naturally.

The thing is, the animations aren't that good. So it looks to be a bit rough here and there, but I find the action itself (that you do) is actually smooth in how it works.

So no, I wouldn't put this MMO down for its combat.... that is, as far as MMO combat goes. :)

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

I like how since posting this the game has risen to a 8.78 lol 

It obviously deserves the rating, and I agree with it.  TSW has given us a completely new MMO experience all around.  While there are 'familiar elements' they are presented in a vastly new and far more interesting way.

The other thread that tries to say TSW brings no innovation is laughable.  There is no other MMO where you can get a similar overall experience to the one this game offers.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , how many times do we need to get over this? Ratings on any gaming site is garbage since a fanboy can create a thousand accounts just to overrate the game.  Now can we PLEASE ,for the love of God, stop talking about ratings? They are useless.

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

I love everything about this game.

Except the combat.  I'm allready at the point where i'm getting kind of tired of it due to how dull and repetitive the combat is. It's just not fun.  Most of the skills later in the trees aren't even really upgrades, in some cases they are distinct downgrades so i don't really even feel like i have a purpose to level or even go into most trees.  I just don't feel alot of incentive to keep putting points in a tree for a sidegrade skill.  I have to say i also REALLY don't like being restricted to 7 abilities.  It feels way too restrictive.  Don't like it in guild wars either.  Have honestly really hated that kind of system since EQ.  It just feels too restrictive.  Even one more slot would be a huge difference.

As much as i'd like to see the rest of the game and play out the story, the combat is making my interest wane bigtime.  I'm glad some people are digging it, kudo's to you, but i'm finding it pretty dull and not seeing enough difference in skills later in the tree's to really motivate me much.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Originally posted by Melieza

It obviously deserves the rating, and I agree with it.  TSW has given us a completely new MMO experience all around.  While there are 'familiar elements' they are presented in a vastly new and far more interesting way.

The other thread that tries to say TSW brings no innovation is laughable.  There is no other MMO where you can get a similar overall experience to the one this game offers.

Not trying to start an arguement here, but once you experience that new way of questing (which is very similar to single player gameplay in respects to puzzles, etc), and you finish the story, what are you going to do?

What is completely new about running instances for purples or doing the same battleground over and over again for tokens to get purple gear?  Yeah I am aware of liar bosses and the supposed monthly content updates, but I am just not seeing how this game has introduced something completely new to the genre.  The missions are great, the story is great, I love it, but at the end of the day it's very similar to a lot of the things we are accustomed to.  Yes you have 500 skills, but it's still tank/healer/dps when it comes to group--the same kind of group dynamic we have had for a while now.

Anyways, as far as the topic at hand, I don't think the combat is as bad as people make it out to be.  Maybe I am weird, but I liked it, even the animations never bothered me.  I have issues elsewhere with the game, but combat wasn't one of them. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

yeah i hit faction rank 9 last night and today i just cant seem to find the interest to log in so i had to cancel as i been struggling for the last week. I love the story part of it but im a pvp player at heart and TSW is severely lacking in any fun pvp at all.  The few builds I enjoy using I unlocked long ago and just spam skill pts into random skills now like filling up pistols or shotgun which i do not enjoy the playstyle. The story is pretty interesting but it even gets kinda repetetive after awhile , but then again everyone has there own tolerence levels for different games. Funcom might change it up later on but right now its just not really for me. I was really hoping to make it last til GW2 release but I just couldnt make it as hard as i tried.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Worstluck
    Originally posted by Melieza

Not trying to start an arguement here, but once you experience that new way of questing (which is very similar to single player gameplay in respects to puzzles, etc), and you finish the story, what are you going to do?

What is completely new about running instances for purples or doing the same battleground over and over again for tokens to get purple gear?  Yeah I am aware of liar bosses and the supposed monthly content updates, but I am just not seeing how this game has introduced something completely new to the genre.  The missions are great, the story is great, I love it, but at the end of the day it's very similar to a lot of the things we are accustomed to.  Yes you have 500 skills, but it's still tank/healer/dps when it comes to group--the same kind of group dynamic we have had for a while now.

Anyways, as far as the topic at hand, I don't think the combat is as bad as people make it out to be.  Maybe I am weird, but I liked it, even the animations never bothered me.  I have issues elsewhere with the game, but combat wasn't one of them. 

We are talking in terms os MMOS, what other MMOS have investigation missions? sabotage misions? stealth and puzzle missions all in one? if i use your logic then no MMO can ever be unique or different because everything has been done before. TSW has lot of different or non standard features which set it apart from other themepark MMOS.

When we talk about unque factor we have to look at the standard and non standard MMO formula. And TSW falls in non standard category. What TSW has brought to the table is a focus on challenge, puzzles and investigation which helps to immerse players in the world completely.

• RhowinRhowin Member Posts: 36

Imho opnion the combat is good enough and thanks to the endless possiblities in the ability wheel it doesn't get boring for me. Still the point is and I guess that is among the reasons for the good rating -  TSW isn't a 90% combat game unless you want to play it that way. This is something you cannot really put into 'features' - the game has a different pacing and feel to it and that's the most refreshing part.

And besides the developers seem to listen to their players, are open enough and not too proud to except critique, join discussions outside of their official forums without the aid of a PR guy and that gets bonus points I guess too.

• moreblahblahmoreblahblah Member Posts: 58

It's actually a 8.79, about to pass GW2. Op is scared.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

*Looks at OP*

*Face_Palm*

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I gave TSW an average of 8.6 because simply put, it's the best MMO on the market currently. I doubt it will have much longevity, because its strenghts are in the single player(ish) quest content, which Funcom simply cannot churn out fast enough to keep people subbed all the time.

Still, the best MMO on the market today. Period.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

I have never understood how Rift has had such a high rating.  But after thinking about it Rift basically doesn't piss people off and that is half the battle.  People don't rage quit rift, they just get bored and leave.  I suspect TSW is in the same boat but haven't played it yet.  Take a game like SWToR and you have a lot of pissed off disappointed gamers and that would explain the rating disparity.

• NoficNofic Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Garvon3
    Originally posted by Admin
    Originally posted by Garvon3
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Look at SWTOR's reviews... nough said

Right, this is the website that fired one of their star members because he refused to give SWTOR a 9 or 10 like everyone else on the site.

What?  How do we fire a member of our website? image  Did you mean an employee?  If so that cannot be true because we have the same exact team we have had for the past 18 months.

I did indeed mean employee/writing. Dan 'Tenebrion' Wojciki was removed for giving SWTOR a 6/10. A writer that was "unable to be objective". And was too "derogatory".

Why is it so common that people insist the truth is really just a big conspiracy? It's clear that you know that he was fired for not being objective, but you insist it must be because he gave a game a low score.

Currently Playing: PoE/TSW

Played Chronologically: EQ, EQ2, WoW, GW, Vanguard, Hellgate, AoC, WAR, DF, UO, Tera, PoE, TSW

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I don't understand this gripe with combat, how far did all you complainers get? If you present some valid reasoning, then maybe I'll understand.

Once you start getting the skills, you create multiple builds, save the builds, and load them for the situation present. I use the /alias command and can switch out between my 3 major builds really fast. I have a complete aoe one, a normal one, and a single target one. Even when enemies target and come rushing to you, you can switch your build as long as you didn't attack them yet.

You're really not stuck to 7 and 7 at all. You can kill a few mobs, aggro a crowd of 3-5, switch to your aoe build, and waste them.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Odysses

I have never understood how Rift has had such a high rating.  But after thinking about it Rift basically doesn't piss people off and that is half the battle.  People don't rage quit rift, they just get bored and leave.  I suspect TSW is in the same boat but haven't played it yet.  Take a game like SWToR and you have a lot of pissed off disappointed gamers and that would explain the rating disparity.

The irony of this statement, is if you take an objective look at TSW, it's more like SWTOR than not. That, and people have already raged out of this game. Not the majority, but the majority of people didn't rage out of SWTOR either.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

SWOTR: 7

TSW: 7.5

imo

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Odysses

The irony of this statement, is if you take an objective look at TSW, it's more like SWTOR than not. That, and people have already raged out of this game. Not the majority, but the majority of people didn't rage out of SWTOR either.

I cannot imagine an MMO that everyone is satisfied with. There are plenty complaining even about difficulty of TSW and wanting it WoW easy which is plain silly. Of course there are thouse who don't like TSW, also there will be those who'll start bashing GW2 in 2 months.

What comes to SWTOR then I've played both SWTOR and TSW and while I quite enjoyed my 2-3 months in SWTOR unlike many others because I was never hyped about it at first place I think that SWTOR is way inferior to TSW in story/atmosphere, quests and combat too. I actually read and enjoy almost every quest in TSW for the first time in over 10 years playing MMOs. Before that I just clicked "accept" and killed those 10 boars, rats or whatever, saving Middle Earth, Telara or whatever once more. Questing has been total meh until now for me.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Value 8.75? Really?

The score highlights what is wrong with the scoring system rather than how good the game is. From the comments on the thread several people have obviously stuffed the vote as they are enjoying he game. The number of votes (under 400) are hardly a large sample, the haters clearly haven't bothered with this one so grats FC (I guess).
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Rofl the mods on this site really irritate me.  Threads like this make it through, but even if you just hint at  criticism of GW2 when making a thread, it's insta locked.

Oh well..

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

It shows money was handed over for favourable reviews just lke TOR  then used as part of the marketing hype to get more people to buy the box or digi download before the game hype dies a death for this dull game and money invested to make it is clawed back off fools who are easily parted with their money by false hype media.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Value 8.75? Really? The score highlights what is wrong with the scoring system rather than how good the game is. From the comments on the thread several people have obviously stuffed the vote as they are enjoying he game. The number of votes (under 400) are hardly a large sample, the haters clearly haven't bothered with this one so grats FC (I guess).

I've been playing multiple hours almost every day since early access and had the most fun time in MMOs since Ultima Online back in the golden days of Europa RP. I still have access to the game until the 8th of August. All this with the box price.

How's that not excellent value?

• PagodayPagoday Member UncommonPosts: 4

I think in this day and age, everyone should take reviews (like everything else) with a grain of salt.  Fact is, you'll run into a review or two that you will disagree with.  If you want to challenge a review in a public forum, by all means please do, but just because you don't agree with a rating doesn't make it any more or less valid to other folks, as the many different posts would suggest.  

Heck, I think Gamespot's giving the game Battleship 3.5 out of 10 was quite frankly a travesty--it should've gotten a 1.  But I didn't go onto the forums and actually challenge it.  What would that accomplish? 

Even if I think MMORPG has overrated an MMO or two, at least their reviews are entertaining, and in some cases downright educational!  I think their review of TSW was fairly comprehensive, but I still plan to give TSW a month or two and see what the opinion is then.  

PS:  IMO, I think the next big MMO will be one that finds a way to make combat truly innovative but stays within a strong plot element.  It's only a matter of time.