Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is so amazing with this game?

Comments

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

If you guys check the OPs past forum posts, you'll see that he doesn't like the combat system and quests. He doesn't elaborate on why he doesn't like the quests, but from a different post it can be extrapolated that he doesn't like games that require reflex (i.e., quick reaction). I'm not sure if he values quick thinking or not. He seems to value memorization and logic alot though. Guild Wars 2 has these, but it also requires some reflex to be good (which I like).

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by LackeyZero

If you guys check the OPs past forum posts, you'll see that he doesn't like the combat system and quests. He doesn't elaborate on why he doesn't like the quests, but from a different post it can be extrapolated that he doesn't like games that require reflex (i.e., quick reaction). I'm not sure if he values quick thinking or not. He seems to value memorization and logic alot though. Guild Wars 2 has these, but it also requires some reflex to be good (which I like).

I already posted that on page 2 or 3. OP has trolled us.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I don't like the combat system either, the one thing getting me into this game is the hype.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

He seems to value memorization and logic alot though. Guild Wars 2 has these, but it also requires some reflex to be good (which I like).

Then (theoretically) that'd be TSW then?  Puzzle Pirates maybe?

Just trying to help find him a home.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by DKLond
    Originally posted by Meleagar
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Vidir

I bought the game and played some beta,but sofar I see nothing special with this game, ok, it looks good runs good but mostly boring quests and everythin you do is more or less same as you did the quest before. Ok I have only played till level 25 but why do they not make it fun? it is just plain boring.

Why would anyone play to 25 if it is plain boring?  

If you played, you played as a WoW fanboi and used it's mentality ust to level. I have played every BWE and the stress tests and only got to level 19. I'm not saying you didn't play but I'm calling you out on how you played.

Yeah, the farthest I got as far as leveling was about 17, and that was pretty much just through exploring and getting caught up in events and hearts that happened to be nearby. I spent a LOT of time just in character creation. I may not even get out of character creation for BWE3, what with the Syvari and the Asura being available.

Many posters here have a valid point; for many (if not most) of those that really enjoy WoW or EVE-like games, GW2 is probably not going to be their cup of tea, because it doesn't reward those who spend massive amounts of time in-game in any significant way.  When there is no in-game "I WIN" mechanism or capacity that can only be acquired by massive amounts of time at the keyboard, many standard MMO players won't see the point and would find GW2 boring and pointless.

However, it remains to be seen how many game players are out there that do not enjoy WoW or EVE-like games and have been waiting for something just like GW2 to come along, even if they currently spend their time in games like those (because of nothing more suitable to play).  I know I've been waiting for it ever since I quit WoW many years ago.

Tell me something.

Do you honestly believe that every single person who doesn't like GW2 is a person looking for a massive timesink with an "I WIN" mechanism?

Of course not - that's why I said "many (if not most)) of those who really enjoy WoW or Eve-like games" and not "every single person". Many people will "not like" GW2 for a variety of reasons, ranging from art direction to class mechanics to the lack of "evil" character storylines. IMO, for many (if not most) players to "really" enjoy WoW or Eve-like games, they have to be willing to invest massive amounts of time in the game, and they have to enjoy other core design features those games have to offer that are absent in GW2. Those core design features celebrate those who are willing to spend massive amounts of time in those games with significant, superior, exclusive rewards or content, either as a deliberate design choice by developers (WoW end-game) or as a predictable player-generated outcome of the system (EVE).

Those games are constructed or philosophically designed to favor and celebrate time spent at the keyboard; GW2 is not. In fact, GW2 is exactly the opposite; it deliberately refuses to significantly (as with superior gear or content) reward (in-game) massive amounts of time spent at the keyboard,.

So, I think that it is fair to say that for those playing MMOGs that get their enjoyment by gathering the kind of signifiant reward and content reserved by mechanics or philosophy to those who spend the most time ATK, GW2 is probably not going to be their kind of game. For many others, they are only playing WoW or EVE or Tera or Aion because there's no other kind of similar MMOG to play that brings the whole game to their (more casual) playstyle - which GW2 does.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Icewhite

He seems to value memorization and logic alot though. Guild Wars 2 has these, but it also requires some reflex to be good (which I like).

Then (theoretically) that'd be TSW then?  Puzzle Pirates maybe?

Just trying to help find him a home.

How can you not meantion EVE?

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    Originally posted by Meowhead

snip

Well said. But you are wasting your posting time it's still NOT a sandbox so "it can't be amazing" for many people. For some obscure reason only Sandboxes can be amazing

By definition, it actually is a sandbox game, because you can do whatever you want to do, when you want to do it. Nothing else is hidden behind the term sandbox.

Yeah I know but lots of people think of a sandbox as something different and just because GW2 is not like their definition of sandbox it can't be amazing.... they see as something it isn't, not as something it is

I truthfully would NOT want a sandbox MMORPG....sandbox is a great thing for games like Skyrim, where they are dealing with one player (or a couple of players, because skyrim has a coop mod). The mobs in an MMORPG sandbox would be SUPER easy, because even if they tried to scale the mobs by number of players attacking it or player level, it would be virtually impossible (the mob would be dead before the scaling took place). So UNLESS the sandbox MMORPG would be no leveling, no progression, no massive gear, it really would not work well at all.
    (Remember, I'm talking true sandbox here, because GW2 DOES meet some of the definition of sandbox game. "a paradigm where, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to do as they wish creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game."  You can do whatever you want in GW2 as long as you are within 5 levels-ish of the content (skilled player will be able to easily kill enemies this close). You can do 0 dynamic events and level to 80 for goodness sake! And im pretty sure you may be able to craft your way to level 80, or do a majority of your leveling through craft, because you can (almost freely) change your proffessions.

The only thing that keeps GW2 from being a Skyrim sandbox is the leveling and zoning. AND leveling 80 players, other than zoning, ARE in a true sandbox. A sandbox that rewards XP for even the lowest level fights.

EDIT: Having "higher level" or "harder" mobs that gear lowbies can't fight against because they'd die in a sandbox isn't true sandbox either, because SKILL should be the only thing effecting whether you can kill an enemy in a sandbox (So Morrowind is closer to a true sandbox than Skyrim in this way. because you can really go out and kill anything in Morrowind right when you start, if you are skilled enough. While Skyrim has a few enemies that are impossible for the very low levels to kill :)

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

How can you not meantion EVE?

Because I've played it.  Just teasing, that's a little unfair.  Didn't consider EVE a logic-puzzle-type game :shrug:

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by dellirious13
    Originally posted by IPolygon

snip

Well said. But you are wasting your posting time it's still NOT a sandbox so "it can't be amazing" for many people. For some obscure reason only Sandboxes can be amazing

By definition, it actually is a sandbox game, because you can do whatever you want to do, when you want to do it. Nothing else is hidden behind the term sandbox.

Yeah I know but lots of people think of a sandbox as something different and just because GW2 is not like their definition of sandbox it can't be amazing.... they see as something it isn't, not as something it is

I truthfully would NOT want a sandbox MMORPG....sandbox is a great thing for games like Skyrim, where they are dealing with one player (or a couple of players, because skyrim has a coop mod). The mobs in an MMORPG sandbox would be SUPER easy, because even if they tried to scale the mobs by number of players attacking it or player level, it would be virtually impossible (the mob would be dead before the scaling took place). So UNLESS the sandbox MMORPG would be no leveling, no progression, no massive gear, it really would not work well at all.
    (Remember, I'm talking true sandbox here, because GW2 DOES meet some of the definition of sandbox game. "a paradigm where, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to do as they wish creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game."  You can do whatever you want in GW2 as long as you are within 5 levels-ish of the content (skilled player will be able to easily kill enemies this close). You can do 0 dynamic events and level to 80 for goodness sake! And im pretty sure you may be able to craft your way to level 80, or do a majority of your leveling through craft, because you can (almost freely) change your proffessions.

The only thing that keeps GW2 from being a Skyrim sandbox is the leveling and zoning. AND leveling 80 players, other than zoning, ARE in a true sandbox. A sandbox that rewards XP for even the lowest level fights.

EDIT: Having "higher level" or "harder" mobs that gear lowbies can't fight against because they'd die in a sandbox isn't true sandbox either, because SKILL should be the only thing effecting whether you can kill an enemy in a sandbox (So Morrowind is closer to a true sandbox than Skyrim in this way. because you can really go out and kill anything in Morrowind right when you start, if you are skilled enough. While Skyrim has a few enemies that are impossible for the very low levels to kill :)

Queue all the posters who will tell you that Skyrim is not a sandbox ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by crazygeek

i like this game so much coz it s easy to play, it is the real casual game for players like me

I agree with this guy here... it's easy enough even my kids can get in there and pretty well have a blast playing. However it's also complicated and deep enough that Dad can dig his brain into it and relish the road to mastery.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Creslin321

lol, yep :P Those players that think that a game can be as seemless as RL. Because even minecraft isn't a true sandbox if they want to argue that way :D

Originally posted by Creslin321

For just this once, can we not do that?

• Nomis278Nomis278 Member UncommonPosts: 126

They don't like GW2?

She's a witch!! Burn her!!!

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

I cancelled my preorder after a couple of the BWE's.  Anet's customer service was excellent btw.

I don't know what it was about this game, but I definitely wasn't feeling it.  By the third BWE I only played for about an hour and logged out.

My three complaints that come to mind are,

1. It felt too much like a console game...more like a playstation action game than a real mmo.

2. It felt like another solo quest to max level game, the events and hearts just subbing in for quest hubs. 

3.  The little part I did of the character story quest just felt so generic and cheesy.

To each their own, I know a lot of people are digging this game and everyone has different tastes.  But OP you are not alone in not seeing what all the hype is about.

You played 3 BWE? I'm waiting for that third one to begin in 2 days. I want your time machine

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    By the third BWE I only played for about an hour and logged out.

You're lucky. I didn't play a single minute in the third BWE yet, since it's supposed to start next Friday.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

I cancelled my preorder after a couple of the BWE's.  Anet's customer service was excellent btw.

I don't know what it was about this game, but I definitely wasn't feeling it.  By the third BWE I only played for about an hour and logged out.

My three complaints that come to mind are,

1. It felt too much like a console game...more like a playstation action game than a real mmo.

2. It felt like another solo quest to max level game, the events and hearts just subbing in for quest hubs. 

3.  The little part I did of the character story quest just felt so generic and cheesy.

To each their own, I know a lot of people are digging this game and everyone has different tastes.  But OP you are not alone in not seeing what all the hype is about.

You played 3 BWE? I'm waiting for that third one to begin in 2 days. I want your time machine

Ahh you are right, I looked it up and I did 2 BWE's and 1 stress test.

Firstly, I'm not trying to say your opinion is wrong with this post--if you don't like the game, you don't have to, there are good games that i absolutely cant stand, and terrible games that i absolutely love, etc.

But, just in case you came to any of your opinion through misconceptions:

2) Its not really about questing, yes you can do all of your leveling through questing if you want, but i would recommend exploring, crafting, WwW, dungeons, dailys ( just to name a few) as better (and more interesting) ways to level than just sticking to hearts and dynamic events (also sticking a dynamic event out to see the chain progress further is also enjoyable). Handcuffing yourself into only leveling one way really detracts from any game, especially an MMO like GW2 that has more ways to get XP than any MMO before. Again, not trying to persuade you, just offering clarification :)

1 and 3 are really just your complete opinion, so no argument on them, i, personally, really enjoy the cheesiness of the early storyline, kind of like i loved Bard's Tale. But it does get more involved (darker) as you progress out of noobiness. And I do like that the combat doesn't feel generic or clunky or much like any recent MMO. But to each his own on your 1 and 3 :D

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I expect people will be shocked to discover that the "grind" also known as vertical power progression, isn't actually what they hate about current MMOs. They just hate the same game being made over and over again - and they hate the constant stretching of limited content.

There's nothing wrong with a power progression, it's all about how you balance content delivery and power division.

If people really think a flat structure can entertain them more than when they played their first MMO - they're in for a shock. But that's just me.

There's a lot of things I hate about current MMOs, and endless vertical power progression tied to extremely long time sinks is only one of them.

Please give people other than yourself credit for critical thinking.  :)

Also 'there's nothing wrong with a power progression'... well, I can tell you a problem with the standard tiered raiding... it requires incredibly large periods of time repeating something you've already mastered and seen all of, just to reach further content.  It imbalances the heck out of PvP and means that if you're interested in serious PvPing, you often have to do large amounts of PvE content.  It seperates friends in MMOs where higher characters trivialize lower content, and have to reason to hang out with lower level characters.

All of these problems can be answered, and have been answered with the GW2 model.  Other games have also answered them, it's true, but usually only piecemeal.

GW2 solved a LOT of problems I have with modern MMOs, not always in the way I would have come up with myself, but there are specific reasons I've been unhappy with MMOs (I can give huge laundry lists worth of reasons), and it deals with almost all of those problems, something no other MMO I've seen has done.  Otherwise, I'd be playing that MMO.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I expect people will be shocked to discover that the "grind" also known as vertical power progression, isn't actually what they hate about current MMOs. They just hate the same game being made over and over again - and they hate the constant stretching of limited content.

There's nothing wrong with a power progression, it's all about how you balance content delivery and power division.

If people really think a flat structure can entertain them more than when they played their first MMO - they're in for a shock. But that's just me.

There's a lot of things I hate about current MMOs, and endless vertical power progression tied to extremely long time sinks is only one of them.

Also 'there's nothing wrong with a power progression'... well, I can tell you a problem with the standard tiered raiding... it requires incredibly large periods of time repeating something you've already mastered and seen all of, just to reach further content.  It imbalances the heck out of PvP and means that if you're interested in serious PvPing, you often have to do large amounts of PvE content.  It seperates friends in MMOs where higher characters trivialize lower content, and have to reason to hang out with lower level characters.

All of these problems can be answered, and have been answered with the GW2 model.  Other games have also answered them, it's true, but usually only piecemeal.

GW2 solved a LOT of problems I have with modern MMOs, not always in the way I would have come up with myself, but there are specific reasons I've been unhappy with MMOs (I can give huge laundry lists worth of reasons), and it deals with almost all of those problems, something no other MMO I've seen has done.  Otherwise, I'd be playing that MMO.

I'm sorry, but people who talk about how GW2 has solved a lot of problems without even being out yet are not someone I would trust with critical thinking.

The game might be great in the short term, but until people play it long-term - I think they need to be careful expecting the dream-like vision of no grind and the amazing fun of having an extremely limited power progression to be an actual "solution" to problems. I mean, people might be really sick of WoW and games like it - and yet so many millions enjoyed it for several years BEFORE getting tired of it.

Let's see how long GW2 lasts, shall we?

I'm sorry, but people who talk about how GW2 has solved a lot of problems without even being out yet are not someone I would trust with critical thinking.

The game might be great in the short term, but until people play it long-term - I think they need to be careful expecting the dream-like vision of no grind and the amazing fun of having an extremely limited power progression to be an actual "solution" to problems. I mean, people might be really sick of WoW and games like it - and yet so many millions enjoyed it for several years BEFORE getting tired of it.

I don't think Meowhead was arguing that GW2 wil be more successful and have greater longevity than WoW...which seems to be what you are implying.

All he was saying was that GW2 solves several problems that he specifically perceived with other MMORPGs.  And I actually agree with him.  You don't need to play a game for 2 years to realize that it's nice to not have to kill the same 20 kobolds you just killed because you did not get "told" to do it first.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by xalvi

A different combat system and no trinity, the end.

I find the combatsystem the biggest weekness of this game,it is no strategy,just run around and hit few buttoms.

Guess one can get used to it but not sure if it is fun in the long run.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Don't you know a lot of these mechanics including lateral progression are well established in gw1 and 2. Agree may or may not have a long shelf life, however gw1 is still alive and well after almost the same time as wow, so it is reasonable to expect positivity rather than negativity if all evidence points to a game that is achieving its aims.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm perfectly capable of critical thinking and analysis, thank you. :)

GW2 has solved a lot of MY PERSONAL problems with MMOs, and I'll toss a couple out there that you can't actually argue with, and that anybody, even with limited experience  with the beta... or even merely Youtube... can verify are true.

1.  I'm sort of a slow PvE player.  (Well, okay, you could argue I'm actually a really FAST player, though I would think it'd be strange of you to do so.  Let's just assume for a moment that there is such a thing as slow PvE players, and I'm one of them, okay?)  This means that content takes me a little longer than usual.  This means that playing sub games costs me more than normal people to reach the same point.  So I have to spend more money to say... reach the end of SWTOR story, as an example.

2.  I get decreasing amounts of enjoyment from MMOs as time goes along.  Eventually, I'm going to reach a point where I'm unable to justify paying a quarter the price of a game per month for the amount of entertainment I'm getting that month.

3.  I like being able to go back and check in on older games.  (I do this with my game catalogue a lot)  I dont' like having to pay 15 dollars just to do so.

4.  I like being able to do PvP on equal footing where skill (And maybe some luck) is the deciding factor.  Some examples of kinds I enjoy are Starcraft (and other RTSs), chess (and other board games), various card games, and FPS games.  I even enjoy it in a game with MMORPG like combat, as evidenced that I put over 1000 hours into GW before I ever even beat one of the campaigns (I told you I was slow at PvE)  The earlier I can start that in a game, the better to me (GW2 lets you start this at level 2)

5.  I like being able to play with my friends.  Most MMORPGs separate me from my friends, in a variety of methods.  They use servers, take time sinks to reach where people are, are divided into factions, make high level people incapable of meaningfully doing low level content or helping friends, or they have a subscription so it's harder to convince a friend to 'just drop in and see me' if they've quit.

I'm not expecting an MMO to magically occupy me forever, and people who say things like 'GW2 won't last many people past 3 months' are conveniently ignoring the fact that there isn't a single MMORPG EVER that lasts the majority of people past 3 months.

In fact, my expectations are far more sane than I've seen expressed so many times here.  'I want a game that amuses me for as long as it amuses me, and that is convenient to pick back up when I want it to amuse me again'.  Huh.  How delightfully unspecific.

You can't accuse people of a lack of critical thinking because they're not expecting what you're expecting.  I just have different tastes and desires than you. :)

Originally posted by Vidir
    Originally posted by xalvi

A different combat system and no trinity, the end.

I find the combatsystem the biggest weekness of this game,it is no strategy,just run around and hit few buttoms.

Guess one can get used to it but not sure if it is fun in the long run.

I'm gonna just have to be frank here....you're wrong.

If you think that the combat system in GW2 boils down to "just running around and hitting a few buttons."  Then you're wrong.

What I would reccommend is that you endeavor to learn what those buttons you are hitting actually do.  You may be surprised to discover that they do very different things that are useful in very different situations.  Then you can start to try to hit those buttons in a...you know, strategic way. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Re combat strategy, that takes time to evolve and not in a beta where you have lots of people trying things out in random groups.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

To hte OP and his brethern..

its good to see you realised this game is utter trash, now move on and never return..

People talking about quests in GW2 have obviously not played the game, the open world system is so much different from the normal questing hubs that just calling them boring quests proves you have had absolutely no hands on experience.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)