Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there ever be an MMO

sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

That is well recieved (after its actual release) by the community ?

I mean this is an MMO FAN-site and all, but it just seems like nobody (well majority) of people have literally Nothing good to say about any games anymore, and literally nit-pick every aspect (even wording of reviews) about said games.

Funny thing is, it always seems that Not-yet-released games, have the Hype of the Centure and will KILL EVERY OTHER MMO out there ..  but then once it's released, most people seem to want to burn them to the ground.

Is it really that no publishers are making MMOs worth a damn these days, or have our expectations just been jaded ?

I would say some of the posters here talk like  they hate MMOs

ersonally I have seen good and bad in these games, but there have been a lot of really good ones, and I know my free time has been spent playing them, just wonder if there will ever be a game mostly universally praised after release these days.

Comments

• ArkanikArkanik Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by sycofiend

I mean this is an MMO FAN-site and all, but it just seems like nobody (well majority) of people have literally Nothing good to say about any games anymore, and literally nit-pick every aspect (even wording of reviews) about said games.

Funny thing is, it always seems that Not-yet-released games, have the Hype of the Centure and will KILL EVERY OTHER MMO out there ..  but then once it's released, most people seem to want to burn them to the ground.

Is it really that no publishers are making MMOs worth a damn these days, or have our expectations just been jaded ?

ersonally I have seen good and bad in these games, but there have been a lot of really good ones, and I know my free time has been spent playing them, just wonder if there will ever be a game mostly universally praised after release these days.

Not on this website !

Everyone wants there mmo to be the best or wants everything in the mmo they tried to be there own mmo so no matter what the haters will hate .

Honestly play what YOU like because you cant go by the reviews or expressions of anyone on here..

My opinion..

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

I highly doubt it, there is too wide a spread between genres and personal preference these days, so many mixed opinions of either Sandbox or Themepark, Subscription vs F2P, PvE vs PvP, no one will ever be truly happy because the companies these days make the games appeal to as wide a audience as possible to bring in as much money as possible.

If some quality game Developers got together and put up a really nice couple of niche games, targeted at specific audiences, it would keep that audience happy but who in their right mind would do that when there is so much money to be made from people who throw money at shit games!

We have only ourselves to blame.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Sure, it'll just take an MMO that does't promise the world and deliver a WoW clone.

It'll take an MMO that doesn't generate an insane amount of hype, which then attracts the really annoying blind fans that raise the ire of most posters here.

It'll take an MMO that returns to the roots of the genre AND appeals to modern "MMO" gamers.

Most people here don't hate MMOs. They love MMOs. They hate whatever weird genre that games like WoW SWTOR and other various clones fall into.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Garvon3
    Originally posted by sycofiend That is well recieved (after its actual release) by the community ?  I would say some of the posters here talk like  they hate MMOs  
    Sure, it'll just take an MMO that does't promise the world and deliver a WoW clone.

It'll take an MMO that doesn't generate an insane amount of hype, which then attracts the really annoying blind fans that raise the ire of most posters here.

It'll take an MMO that returns to the roots of the genre AND appeals to modern "MMO" gamers.

Most people here don't hate MMOs. They love MMOs. They hate whatever weird genre that games like WoW SWTOR and other various clones fall into.

Well said

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Games I've seen that had moderate to good community acceptance:

Rift

LOTRO

Aion

DDO (sort of niche)

Fallen Earth (for a while, but the buzz sort of faded)

GW1 (niche)

Sure, each of these had its share of players that didn't like the game, but most of that was more of a matter of personal preference in things like gameplay and graphics.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Disgruntled vet or themepark-burnout syndrome.  There's plenty of both here.  Personally I fall into the second group.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

When somebody releases an MMO that's half as good as Skyrim.

Originally posted by XAPGames

Games I've seen that had moderate to good community acceptance:

Rift

LOTRO

Aion

DDO (sort of niche)

Fallen Earth (for a while, but the buzz sort of faded)

GW1 (niche)

Sure, each of these had its share of players that didn't like the game, but most of that was more of a matter of personal preference in things like gameplay and graphics.

Hoooh man, LotRO, Rift, and DDO were NOT well received.

Rift because it's almost indistinguishable from WoW, probably the most shameless of all the WoW clones.

DDO because its launch was a disaster and it didn't "feel" like DDO. People forgot it existed until it went FTP.

And the worst of all was LotRO. In all advertisements and interviews and previews for a good 5 years it was called Middle Earth Online. It was described as a sandbox game with the tag line "Live in Middle Earth". The game entered alpha and people started playing... then Turbine pulled the rug out. They made sweeping changes to the game, rebranded it as Lord of the Rings Online "Adventure in Middle Earth". Added instancing, fired the old devs and hired guys fresh out of college,  made linear solo oriented quests the focus, split the large and passionate MEO community between NA and EU servers, and then brushed on more WoW features as alpha progressed, axing all the interesting and lore appropriate mechanics.

Turbine went from a unique interesting game with a stable, happy, excited player base, to forums that were nearly burning down, mass exodus, and well... a rather lack luster product that has limped along in the "It's alright I guess" category, despite having the biggest fantasy IP in the WORLD.

Yeah no, LotRO and Turbine pissed a lot of people off.

Originally posted by Ujirik

Skyrim isn't an MMO.... it's about as far from an MMO as you can get. And it's not even the best Elderscrolls game.

Disgruntled vet or themepark-burnout syndrome.  There's plenty of both here.  Personally I fall into the second group.

Themepark fans wouldn't be burned out if the themeparks actually had any unique or interesting innovations, but they're all almost exactly the same, in every way. Easy to get burned out when you just move from the same game to the same game.

And the worst of all was LotRO. In all advertisements and interviews and previews for a good 5 years it was called Middle Earth Online. It was described as a sandbox game with the tag line "Live in Middle Earth". The game entered alpha and people started playing... then Turbine pulled the rug out. They made sweeping changes to the game, rebranded it as Lord of the Rings Online "Adventure in Middle Earth". Added instancing, fired the old devs and hired guys fresh out of college,  made linear solo oriented quests the focus, split the large and passionate MEO community between NA and EU servers, and then brushed on more WoW features as alpha progressed, axing all the interesting and lore appropriate mechanics.

Turbine went from a unique interesting game with a stable, happy, excited player base, to forums that were nearly burning down, mass exodus, and well... a rather lack luster product that has limped along in the "It's alright I guess" category, despite having the biggest fantasy IP in the WORLD.

I didn't know that.  This was before I started lurking the forums.  Yeah, major genre shift after building a fanbase would generate a bunch of heated response.

I didn't know that.  This was before I started lurking the forums.  Yeah, major genre shift after building a fanbase would generate a bunch of heated response.

It was essentially the SWG NGE all over again, and it really bugs me that so few people remember it. Not that I blame the people, more what bugs me is that SoE will forever be branded for the NGE,  but no one hates Turbine.

Skyrim isn't an MMO.... it's about as far from an MMO as you can get. And it's not even the best Elderscrolls game.

Nobody said Skyrim was an MMO.  The point was that Skyrim is an incredibly well received game that only got complaints by the most disgruntled gamers in general.  MMOs get a lot of complaints because they build up a ton of hype and then players realize what they're playing.  No matter what kind of features they throw in or how they try to reinvent the genre, they still have to add those invisible barriers.  You know, regardless of the reason, their goal is to keep players for as long as possible.  The only exceptions are games that use a one time purchase model like Guild Wars 2, because then they no longer need the carrot on the stick.

Nobody said Skyrim was an MMO.  The point was that Skyrim is an incredibly well received game that only got complaints by the most disgruntled gamers in general. 

Did you ever think that the GAME disgruntled people, and not that people were predestined to dislike the game?

Skyrim had a TON of problems. Not as many as Oblivion, but it was not a game that deserved the praise it got, by and large. It was mostly the newbies it attracted, the ones that buy two CoD games a year.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

@ OP

Maybe when publishers and developers stop giving us the same old crap rehashed over and over again and actually start creating virtual worlds again instead of lobby based gear grinds.

You cant have fans if you don't respect your fans. At this point in time no developer aside from Indie studios and CCP respect there fans. Most Indie studios and CCP are not trying to pass rehashed clones as something new, exciting and innovative. They aren't giving in to the children that plague this genre now, and are staying true to there companies standards. If we had more AAA studios that held to these, then this genre would be in amazing form. 

Unfortunately it won't happen because the suits are involved and are too blind to see they are only shooting themselves in the foot.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Nobody said Skyrim was an MMO.  The point was that Skyrim is an incredibly well received game that only got complaints by the most disgruntled gamers in general. 

Did you ever think that the GAME disgruntled people, and not that people were predestined to dislike the game?

Yeah, if you're the type to complain that Skyrim isn't good enough for your refined gaming tastes, then you were predestined to dislike it.  As a matter of fact, somebody like that should just give up gaming entirely.  There were some valid complaints about Skyrim to be sure, but it's the best Elder Scrolls game and if you say otherwise then I suggest you replay those better games.  I'd bet half of those accusations are due to hazy memories at best.

Yeah, if you're the type to complain that Skyrim isn't good enough for your refined gaming tastes, then you were predestined to dislike it.  As a matter of fact, somebody like that should just give up gaming entirely.  There were some valid complaints about Skyrim to be sure, but it's the best Elder Scrolls game and if you say otherwise then I suggest you replay those better games.  I'd bet half of those accusations are due to hazy memories at best.

Wow. I'm not sure how to break down this wall.

First, the game was outright broken on the PS3. That's a pretty big complaint. It wasn't fixed for 6 months. There goes 1/3 of the entire user base.

Also, no I'm not the "type to complain". I love the ES series. Skyrim didn't live up to the quality.

And best ES game? Hardly. A game with such poor combat, faction quests, level scaling, and main quest cannot hold up to something like Morrowind. Which managed to create a unique world and atmosphere as well as telling an amazing story with lots of subtle arcs and more than one path to the end.

It's the prettiest ES game, but until they can make the game playable without the stupid compass, and until the level scaling is gone, and until they have a big enough budget to do enough voice acting to make the world not seem moronic, then it'll be forever the second best ES game.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

People will complain about everything.  What I have wondered is if complaining is an American only pass time or if other countries recieve games with a better attitude?

I think that ArcheAge and Elder Scrolls Online will get good reviews.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

No. If you have two factions "Thempark v Sandbox" type players, any game released aimed at pleasing one group will find opposition from the other.

And making a game that pleases both groups isn't realistic IMO. Tho if it did happen, it'd be the #1 MMO in the world.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Gamers are the most opinionated people in the world, there is a heck of a lot of us.  Of course we're going to use sites to critise.  It's just how it is... sorry.  If anything it's a good thing.  We don't tolerate rubbish, we could be like popular music listeners, where there is no appropriate decent medium where people can express there views on new releases, and people end up buying the same old rubbish.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Arkanik

Not on this website !

Everyone wants there mmo to be the best or wants everything in the mmo they tried to be there own mmo so no matter what the haters will hate .

Honestly play what YOU like because you cant go by the reviews or expressions of anyone on here..

My opinion..

My opinion, as well. There are plenty of games where that are well-received by the majority of its players. The posters here are not at all indicative of the average gamer sentiment.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    People will always find something to cry about, it human nature for them to think they are intelligent by finding "flAws" in something that was praised by others.
  • UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

I grew up on UO so maybe that did it for me. You experience something open world/free form and then start playing dumbed down 3d versions of it and it just doesn't do it for me. I've yet to be able to be in an MMO longer than a month since I think DaoC which I played for about 6 months. Played UO for years.

A lot of the MMOs today are pretty bad though. They focus on the wrong things like voice acting and hype instead of actually trying to flesh out a game. Why not though? They can always patch it, right?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Arkanik

Not on this website !

My opinion..

My opinion, as well. There are plenty of games where that are well-received by the majority of its players. The posters here are not at all indicative of the average gamer sentiment.

Me too. I am having MUCH MORE FUN in today's MMOs than UO and EQ. There is no more boring camping. There is no more dead time trying to form a group.

Some will always hold on to old, tried and failed ideas ... it is their perogative to be bitter but i highly doubt the world will reverse the trend just because a minority is not happy.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Assuming by "community" you mean something of a manageable size (this web site or similar ones).

No, I don't think this site will ever accept a game positively.  Too many just cynical, negative, bitter people...and all they want is more than anyone's ever made (sandbox or themepark, doesn't matter), and at a lower price point.

But it might be a result of my reading this board too much making me so cynical and negative :P

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Everyone

I keep seeing this word.  I don't think it means what you think it means.

(disclaimer: I've probably used it a few times too)