Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I guess its obvious by now : players want complexity

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Games. Not all games , but multiplayer online games , must be complex in order to survive.

If I had penny for each : "Players want streamlined , acessible content" game theory ... that always results in poor content ridden boredom fest like SWTOR.

Yes. Its that easy. Players run out of things to do when they are not challenged enough.

Unfortunately only "complex" MMO games today are either rhutless PVP oriented (like EVE) or below todays standards (either too old or made by low budget indy developers)

When will developers understand this? Make a game that challenges player. That you have to research online. Ask people for help. Figure out things.

Not just grind on autopilot with straight line road ahead of you...

So far , no game is taking this challenge... Shame

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

complex as in proper RPG mechanics and harsh penalties for doing things wrong.. lots of depth as well..

but then again a lot of people want easy access with everything given to themm.

We all like different things.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I hereby want to express that the OP's statement is fully endorsed, undersigned and welcomed by the Anti Hoofed Animal Defamation League.

Dark Pony,

AHADL spokesperson.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Games. Not all games , but multiplayer online games , must be complex in order to survive.

Ok, prove it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

"Players want streamlined , acessible content" game theory ... that always results in poor content ridden boredom fest like SWTOR.

This poor ridden boredom fest still have major market share with WoW in lead.

When will minority of forum posters understand the blatantly obvious truth provided by undeniable facts?

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

when will devs understand / see this....never! they see $$ signs could care less about anything else ..its why you see more n more mmorpgs soo sadly done and easy..some / most of the mmo's that had been released could easyly been put on a console with the "not so beefy grafix" and the easy mode they plop into their crap pile of a game ....+ alot of companys are still trying to bank on the WoW factor trying to strike it rich...they wont change their ways untill the sheep stop buying pretty boxes filled with the "new flavor of the month" and "dissapointment"

Originally posted by Sovrath

Ok, prove it.

The lack of truly big success stories of easy mode, hand holding mmorpgs with cookie cutter themepark formula's should be plenty of evidence I reckon. (WOW arguably falls in that category and kills my statement but then again ... it's also kind of complex. As to really do well in WOW it requires a lot of organization and / or mastery).

But personally I'd go a step further and say that any game that aims to hold a player's attention for a really long time, should be complex. Whether it is single or multiplayer, rts or rpg, etc.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

My name is xDayx. And I support this message.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Maybe. A good indication would be TSW's Investigation Missions. The rest of the game is debatable, but these quests in particular have already sparked alot of hate and frustration threads.

Also, i have a feeling many in-game are using spoliers just after 5 minutes of not figuring it out. Does that count as an example?

• TezcatTezcat Member UncommonPosts: 82

We just need a graphics update for UO. The game is still going but just needs modern polish to capture the new eneration.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

It does not matter if a game is complex or simple, people will still play it, and it will still be a success, as long as the game is FUN TO PLAY.

The problem's start when Devs try to define what players as a whole will actually find to be fun to play.

Ask 100 different players what they find fun, get just as many different answers.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I wouldn't say CoD and WoW are shining examples of complexity but they are shining examples of survivability.

I don't think your theory is very solid.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DarkPony
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Ok, prove it.

The lack of truly big success stories of easy mode, hand holding mmorpgs with cookie cutter themepark formula's should be plenty of evidence I reckon. (WOW arguably falls in that category and kills my statement but then again ... it's also kind of complex. As to really do well in WOW it requires a lot of organization and / or mastery).

But personally I'd go a step further and say that any game that aims to hold a player's attention for a really long time, should be complex. Whether it is single or multiplayer, rts or rpg, etc.

But I'm really starting to think that long term player retention of a large number of subscribers isn't the real goal of most MMO's developed today, they the being designed to be "consumed" in a short period of time and discarded, much like the single player titles they are all starting to resemble.

I will say that complexity in design is something "I" desire in my MMORPG's, but I'm thinking from the popularirty of LOL and other Dota type titles, (and current MMORPG's for that matter) that the greater market place doesn't share in my taste.

So yes, complex design filled with the proper amount of timesinks is what is needed for long term subscription retention, but I just am not sure that's the goal anymore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98

I personally agree with you, but I honestly think you're wrong.

Most players I've encountered want a challenge that will take them 2-3 goes to complete and they want that repeated as they progress. Modern gamers don't think along the same lines of old school gamers. Imagine a modern gamer getting stuck on that friggin platform above the dog Spellbound Dizzy for hours and days as they reset back to the start each time that piece of garbage dog gets them? (Yes I may have smashed my C64 off a wall at that point). Or on any number of puzzles and platforms in older games? They'd quit within the first 10 goes.

Gaming has changed and evolved, it's now so mainstream that it has to cater to the mainstream audience, and they don't like challenges that make them feel useless and frustrated.

I actually miss the obscene rage gaming used to give me :(

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Longevity is tough to achieve.  It's even tougher to achieve when longevity isn't a priority for the dev / publisher.

Some games are just quick cash grabs.  If it's dieing off in six months doesn't matter if you've already stuffed millions in the bank account, which was the plan from the very beginning.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

It does not matter if a game is complex or simple, people will still play it, and it will still be a success, as long as the game is FUN TO PLAY.The problem's start when Devs try to define what players as a whole will actually find to be fun to play.Ask 100 different players what they find fun, get just as many different answers.

This x 1000
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I hereby want to express that the OP's statement is fully endorsed, undersigned and welcomed by the Anti Hoofed Animal Defamation League.

Dark Pony,

AHADL spokesperson.

Yet when I, and others, said the same thing almost a year ago in protect of SWTOR you were sharply against said notion.

What changed DarkPony :I?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

This could just as well say people want "deep" gameplay. Someone else made this analogy in another thread (which I could give proper credit, but can't recall who/when it was posted), but chess has pretty simple rules, but deep gameplay. A game does not neccessarily have to be complicated, but instead, make the systems that are there more meaingful.

For example (purely anecdotal) If I am playing EvE, I don't think to myself "man, I love how overly complicated some of these interfaces are. The way parts of the game manages to get in the way of itself at times really makes this a five star title in my book". No, instead, I admire how the conflict in one region affects the market in another. I like how the ships/weapons/etc that I made are used by other players to achieve their goals. I enjoy how the systems, be they simple or complicated, work together within the game to provide that "deep gameplay". I felt the same in SWG. It wasn't that the systems were overly complicated, but how the interdependance was there and encouraged deeper gameplay, or maybe the oft-used term heard by CCP staff "emergent gameplay" is really what I'm getting at.

Now, I'm sure my overly generic comments on EvE can be disputed, but hopefully the overall point came across. At any rate, it seems like some of the current titles have confused accessible with disposable.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by RoyalPhunk
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

It does not matter if a game is complex or simple, people will still play it, and it will still be a success, as long as the game is FUN TO PLAY.

The problem's start when Devs try to define what players as a whole will actually find to be fun to play.

Ask 100 different players what they find fun, get just as many different answers.

This x 1000

SWG was fun pre-cu, and even in the CU it was decent, but above all else it was fun BECAUSE it was complex. Yet, SWG's developers (and ip holder, LucasArts) got greedy when they saw WoW's success, and started catering to the vocal minority while the vast majority were too busy actually playing the wonderful product they had (albeit riddled with bugs that they continued to ignore all the way through the CU, and NGE).

I don't think it's as simple as saying "Complex MMO = Success" as I think it also requires a developer willing to not fork customers over with piss poor business decisions.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

I completely agree with the op, I don't know how many times I've been puking all over the dumbed down MMOs of today here on the forum. The shining example is WoW, look at the learning curve... granted its for kids but the learning curve is more flat than anything. I say bring back the complexity we had in Anarchy Online etc!

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Longevity is tough to achieve.  It's even tougher to achieve when longevity isn't a priority for the dev / publisher.

Some games are just quick cash grabs.  If it's dieing off in six months doesn't matter if you've already stuffed millions in the bank account, which was the plan from the very beginning.

Eve & UWO achieved longevity

No current theme park copycats can compare to these 2 diamonds

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Tezcat

We just need a graphics update for UO. The game is still going but just needs modern polish to capture the new eneration.

Nah .. we don't need an update to old ideas. I thought people want innovation instead of cloning the past.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Dark Pony,

AHADL spokesperson.

Yet when I, and others, said the same thing almost a year ago in protect of SWTOR you were sharply against said notion.

What changed DarkPony :I?

For the love of everything that is sacred to you, myself or anyone else, I don't think that I ever opposed a similar statement or said that games are better off dumbed down with shallow learning curves or whatever. You are welcome to dig it up but I'm pretty sure that's an effort in futility.

I might have defended SWTOR by trying to point out things in which I thought it could end up being complex (or complex enough) back in the theorycrafting, post launch days, but the notion that games are more fun in the long run if they challenge you with complexity is something I never have and never will oppose, Faded.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Nah .. we don't need an update to old ideas. I thought people want innovation instead of cloning the past.

I knew the poster child for "anti-complexity" would show up here soon, welcome to the discussion.  image

<En Garde>

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

A large number of players, and of people on this site, do not want complexity, they want fast fun and feeling good.

Another large number claims that they want complexity and that game XYZ has this - although the game is easy mode, casual and convenient and can be solo-ed while watching TV.

Another large number claims that they want this but they buy every AAA MMORPG anyway.

Thus why should studios/publishers change anything? The current games sell by the millions because all these large numbers of players mentioned above buy them.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I knew the poster child for "anti-complexity" would show up here soon, welcome to the discussion.  image

lol :)