Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Legendary Endgame

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The folks at ArenaNet recently revealed some details on Guild Wars 2's endgame and we've got all the details as well as some of our own thoughts for you this week.

In a post-World of Warcraft world, where MMOs often quickly usher their players to the level cap in order to kick off the ‘real game’, the aforementioned endgame question has become paramount. This, combined with the fever pitch level of excitement many gamers are expressing for Guild Wars 2, has left many MMO veterans a bit perplexed. “Wait a minute. There are no raids in Guild Wars 2? No real power to chase? So what do you do at level cap?” they often ask. It’s an understandable question. ArenaNet is shouting (proudly) from the mountaintops their intention to cast off many archaic MMO tropes with Guild Wars 2 and it turns out a traditional endgame is on the chopping block as well.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Guild Wars 2: The Legendary Endgame.

Comments

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    It seems to me that GW2 is putting all its hope into its combat system. All of the events and RvR are there to encourage you to get into battle. You don't really build your character, or collect gear to make yourself stronger. So fighting is the endgame.

My only concer is that so far the combat system to me seems only to be of par level. Its nothing legendary. I've found myself already getting a little bored in beta fighting
    unintelligent mobs with a limited skillset, and I don't think I'm alone in this regard.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Great article :)

I'm looking forward to doing something different at endgame other than raiding which for me has become stale in other games. GW2 is starting to re-invigorate my interest in mmos again because its different like TSW but in a different way.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if I'll even bother to buy MOP as its just going to be the same crap again once you get to cap, nothing new. 

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Im not very interested in endgame progression grind. Gear, forges, whatever, are just tools to help you live in the world. RvR and this Orr world sound much more interesting, and so long as there is something new and interesting to do each time that I go there, then it sounds like GW2 has again improved upon the MMO. We'll just have to see how much there actually is and whether its filler or actually substance.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

So:

- Medium scale pvp: Nothing new, every mmorpg coming nowadays seems to have it.

- Gear grind: Not new either, expect it's cosmetic. But hell,e ven high tier gear as some cosmetic properties

- Orr: Instead of a 10 man dungeon, it's just more quests than before that you get to rinse and repeat forever.

Seriously, i'm not hating on the game, but never understood endgame. To me, no matter how you spin it, dev driven , rinse and repeat content is always the same. That's why i don't care for it. player driven activities is what i consider "true endgame". The closest is WVW, and, well, any kind of pvp activity in today's themeparks, but, since i find VVW not very large and big, and far too meaningless, i don't see myself playing it long.

Again, not trolling. As i've said many times, i plan on buying GW2 because i think it's a good game and the journey will be great, but the end is just like every other mmorpg. Which is fine, because i don't plan on staying. Still worth it.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Yes, yes, yes please, this is definately my cup of tea. I can't stand a gear grind, usually by the time I bis everything, the new bis comes out a week later, just kills it for me, bis cosmetics I can live with.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Seriously, i'm not hating on the game, but never understood endgame. To me, no matter how you spin it, dev driven , rinse and repeat content is always the same. That's why i don't care for it. player driven activities is what i cosnider "true endgame". The closest is WVW, and, well, any kind of pvp activity in today's themeparks, but, since i find VVW not very large and bug, and far too meaningless, i don't see myself playign long.

I understand your perspective.

PvE end-game in GW2 is like "WvW vs. AI" is the best way I've seen/heard it described.

So if you like WvW, you'll like Orr.

But since you don't find WvW very large and big, know that Orr is comprised of three zones so you probably wouldn't consider it large enough either.

For end-game there is also sPvP, which begins on day 1 (level 2) and will feature monthly/weekly/daily tournaments, both dev operated and player run.

Kind of like a MOBA or FPS in that regard, as you are not playing for more gear but playing to rise in the rankings and work towards being "the best" and from what I can recall Anet also gives out lots of prizes for tournament winners.

And as with all things end-game in GW2, it's all about getting the bad-ass looks and image for your toon, not the best stats.

Not for everyone, but if you enjoy 1-80 you'll probably enjoy sticking around at 80.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

I'm looking forward to collecting legendary gear that won't be obselete once the next tier comes in. In fact, I almost wish they made it so somewhere down the line some of the original Legendary gear is no longer acquirable...

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85

FredomSekerz im not sure what u would consider very large and big. But without any form of movement speed to travel the entire WvW map without dying it takes almost a hour ^_^ without hitting a zone wall or a load in screen. that is a hefty map size for sure of course its not Emain or new school frontiers of DAOC but its almost there. As far as end game content its really just there for the consule players of the world who need to have that "I beat this game" quality which is why games always try to have some form of end game. If your looking for a refreshing end game content IE just something that has not been done before it wil be very hard to find because at the end of the day its type of game will always have very similiar concepts to there story like arching and end game. MMo's are no different

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

I don't understand the hype for GW2. Nothing new. So now when  you "grind" for gear, it's just a cosmetic change instead of a stat increase.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Big majority of people will be bored of this game 60-90 days after launch. Its a good game, but it just doesnt have "it". The good thing is you can come back every now and then and play a little here and there.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Nice spin on no end-game so we'll call it legendary to get it some attention. We knew end-game started at level a long time ago. It has been stated a billion times now.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by toddze

Big majority of people will be bored of this game 60-90 days after launch. Its a good game, but it just doesnt have "it". The good thing is you can come back every now and then and play a little here and there.

I'm inclined to agree, only because all the new "genre breaking" ideas will not be new anymore, and you'll have people in Now What mode.  Post-game management is the major roadblock of MMOs, and we won't know how ArenaNet does it until after release.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Seriously, i'm not hating on the game, but never understood endgame. To me, no matter how you spin it, dev driven , rinse and repeat content is always the same. That's why i don't care for it. player driven activities is what i cosnider "true endgame". The closest is WVW, and, well, any kind of pvp activity in today's themeparks, but, since i find VVW not very large and bug, and far too meaningless, i don't see myself playign long.

I understand your perspective.

PvE end-game in GW2 is like "WvW vs. AI" is the best way I've seen/heard it described.

So if you like WvW, you'll like Orr.

But since you don't find WvW very large and big, know that Orr is comprised of three zones so you probably wouldn't consider it large enough either.

For end-game there is also sPvP, which begins on day 1 (level 2) and will feature monthly/weekly/daily tournaments, both dev operated and player run.

Kind of like a MOBA or FPS in that regard, as you are not playing for more gear but playing to rise in the rankings and work towards being "the best" and from what I can recall Anet also gives out lots of prizes for tournament winners.

And as with all things end-game in GW2, it's all about getting the bad-ass looks and image for your toon, not the best stats.

Not for everyone, but if you enjoy 1-80 you'll probably enjoy sticking around at 80.

i never really cared for gear myself. I hate stat game breaking gear grind, so i'm happy GW2 doesn't do that, but, i can't rinse and repeat content for cosmetic gear either. if i'm done and had fun, that's good enough for me.

Regarding WVW and Orr, i don't find them small. But, to make a better comparision, i think Planetside 2 does large scale RVR the right way. it's all about map design. And the idea of "RVR with AI" is cool, don't get me wrong. But like i said, if the world was player driven, with ecnomy, politics, created cities and villagies, etc, etc (no need for owpvp even), and losing controll of Orr ment a cascade of invasion that destroyed all the community built, now THAT would be simpyl awesome. But unfortunaly, if i lose Orr, nothing bad happens, expect the same events repeat.

Again, all of this is pretty cool and fun, just not what my personall definition of endgame is about, just like spvp. I already play FPS'ers and other games for that stuff.

Simply put, i don't think GW2 as "endgame" aka content that keeps ME around after the story" or "leveling" is over, but the journey is great enough.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by Rommie10-284
    Originally posted by toddze

I'm inclined to agree, only because all the new "genre breaking" ideas will not be new anymore, and you'll have people in Now What mode.  Post-game management is the major roadblock of MMOs, and we won't know how ArenaNet does it until after release.

I share the same opinion as well, it is pretty fun so far (I have played all beta to date s far) but I can see it wearing off real quick, I have posted before that this will most likely be my side game that I play when my main MMo is down for patching or something to mix it up for something a bit different or a bit of fun on an off raiding night.

This game will keep the casuals happy for a while longer than the hardcroe crowd but after a few months (maybe 6-12 tops) even they will have pretty much experienced everything there is to see and start asking for more, if ArenaNet doesn't provide, it will start to bleed subs fast.

It is not the kind of game that makes me want to roll another character or an alt, I played around to pick the class I liked the most and that is what I will stick with, where as other games, i usually have a mix of a few classes.

While I will be playing it for a bit of fun on the side and appreciate what ArenaNet are trying to do, this game won't be keeping my attention for very long.

I wish it good luck though, at least it's better than most of the other games we have to choose from these days.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Toddze, main reason i am going to give it a try. I dont have to remember to cancel a sub if i get bored. Lol.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

No more raiding, I'll be playing this game for years, just because of that.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by Talmien
    It seems to me that GW2 is putting all its hope into its combat system. All of the events and RvR are there to encourage you to get into battle. You don't really build your character, or collect gear to make yourself stronger. So fighting is the endgame.

Well it seems more they're putting all their hope on getting people to socialize, and try to win in RvR. It worked for DAoC. They were the second biggest MMO around for many years, until they made PvE progression a requirement for RvR...

RvR is, to date, probably the best end game there is.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by newbinator

I don't understand the hype for GW2. Nothing new. So now when  you "grind" for gear, it's just a cosmetic change instead of a stat increase.

There is no endless gear stat increase. All end game equipment is balanced, they differ in skin, stats (some are more defensive, offensive, etc), and modifications (runes, sigils...).

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Reading some of the comments here is so depressing.

People always pick on something. It will never be good enough for those people.

Can't you just be happy with what you get?

I'm thinking at least 50% of the people on this forum should leave now and explore other game genres, because it seems some people will never be pleased.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Nice article. Describes very well what you have to expect from GW2.

Unfortunately the nit-pickers wll never be satisfied as you can already see in the responses. They look for their perfect MMO. Which of course doesn't exist. Poor people, with every new MMO they will be disappointed again because there is a least one feature they don't like. The problem is not the MMOs, it's them. ;)

There's only two types of people: Those who like Guild Wars, and those who don't know about Guild Wars.

Nah, just kiddin'

It is normal to dislike a game, not every game is for everybody. Some people get hooked, some don't.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by newbinator

You mean the contant grind for Karma points for gear. :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by joeri123

I'm thinking at least 50% of the people on this forum should leave now and explore other game genres, because it seems some people will never be pleased.

This is actually my exact problem with GW2. Everyone that is hyping the game just seems to be happy and pleased with anything ArenaNet throws at them.  IMO GW2 gear grind is for worse than any MMO that uses this system as at the very least gear in other MMO's have an impact on your character beyond the visual and  therefore more rewarding.  I do not understand how playing for skins is more rewarding than playing for skins + character progression.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Oh how I wish there was another genre that offered what the real MMORPG genre use to offer. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by Clocksimus

This is actually my exact problem with GW2. Everyone that is hyping the game just seems to be happy and pleased with anything ArenaNet throws at them.  IMO GW2 gear grind is for worse than any MMO that uses this system as at the very least gear in other MMO's have an impact on your character beyond the visual and  therefore more rewarding.  I do not understand how playing for skins is more rewarding than playing for skins + character progression.

You see, that is why you should avoid Guild Wars. We want balanced end game with no gear thread mill and with optional cosmetic grind. That's what we love about GW. You are more old school and like endless gear progression. In GW you will hit some general power level limit and from there you will make more specific gear that suits your build. Are you building glass cannon thief that requires gear with a lot power/precision, or you want to make switch to more defensive/condition-damage gear.

In GW end-game you will not have only one set of max armor, you will have several with different stats suited for different play styles.