Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: Wayback Wednesday with DAoC Devs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the continuing adventures in Dark Age of Camelot during our weekly Wayback Wednesday, we are joined by Kai Schober, John Thornhill, and Talal Saad from Bioware/Mythic. The group marches on into the New Frontiers. Check it out!

Last week on Wayback Wednesday we reached the epic conclusion of our Hibernian journey through Dark Age of Camelot. After successful adventures in the Thidranki, Molvick, and Cathal Valley battlegrounds we marched forward into the New Frontiers! All of the usual suspects were present as I was joined by Kai Schober, John Thornhill, and Talal Saad from Bioware/Mythic. Kai is the community manager for DAoC and played Staern an Eldritch. Talal and John are developers for DAoC and played Eldarii a Warden, and Kerllean our Bard. We also had a surprise new comer to our ragtag little bunch; Stuart Zissu the producer for DAoC joined us as Silverfox a Warden.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Dark Age of Camelot: Wayback Wednesday with DAoC Devs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

In its time I deeply loved this game but its way to dated to come back to now. The community is now so closed its hard to get into. 

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

In its time I deeply loved this game but its way to dated to come back to now.

Agreed. Was the best PvP system I've ever experienced in any MMO. But yeah, it feels like your character is constantly stuck in mud when I compare to smooth and fluid control of WoW. I'd love to see DAOC 2 someday. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

YEah i tried to get into this again at the started of the year and yeah its needs a refresh thats for sure :)

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I dont think we will ever see daoc 2. Unfortunately it was what it was and we just have to keep those good times as memory.

• NnyanNnyan Member UncommonPosts: 42

I actually never got to play this for very long and I did try to get back one time last year and not knowing any other friends playing this made for a lonely game.  I tried for a full two months but just got no traction and it was hard to overlook the dated graphics and mechanics.

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87

I just played about a year ago.  There's still quite a bit of action on the cluster, but the community is so closed off and unwelcoming (at least in the PvP, found a great PvE guild), and with the ability to have characters on every realm there is no realm pride anymore.

It is still the 2nd best game ever, but sadly it should stay dead unless they refresh it exactly as it was right before ToA. 

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Its usually the vets that still have "Realm pride" and "Realm Prejudice" its not completely gone but it wasnt like it used to be.

NO DAOC 2... PLEASE! Daoc was made before the masses changed the industry, so a "DaoC the 2nd" would just end up crap and it would also have the original DaoC executed. If they wanna do a overhaul with a new engine to smooth the preformance and update the graphics I would be all for it... but NO DAOC 2... NOT BY E.A

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Bioware Mythic, enough to make you vomit isn't it?

First EA/Mythic made them cancel Imperator AND the DAoC classic server.

Now Bioware has invaded and their influence is already apparent. Remember their big marketing push about their new linear quests with "moral choices"? That's not what DAoC needs.

It just amazes me how what was once the bar none best MMORPG on the market continues to get worse and worse.

I guess thats what happens when all the talent leaves the company and singleplayer game devs take over.

Another victim of EA.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I am impressed with how well the graphics have held up over time. I know they did a graphics update a long time ago, but still, it looks pretty damn nice.

Too bad it's got such a small community now and is boringly dead while trying to level. Oh well, it was good times when it was newer. I started playing it originally a few months after it came out and played for a year. It was amazing at the time.

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Well if they gave the game a complete overhaul with updated gfx.. I would love to try again
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The graphic is surprisingly well for a game of this age.
    A big problem is the mmo crowd that started to play mmos with WOW and WOW-Clones as their first mmo-experience and they can not find satisfaction with the combat pace and the individually experienced "unresponsiveness" of the controls.
    Daoc is still a good game but like in real life growing age decreases your atractivity a big way and only the few people that look behind the "old" facade can enjoy the matured content that sits behind it.

Daoc needs to become Daoc 2.0 to attract the significant ammounts of new players that look for the fresh face.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Best mmo pvp ever

And also in its day bloody good pve donated to the competition

Wish modern mmos would realise you can look after both pveers and pvpers in the same game. I guess gw2 kinda comes close and actually betters daoc on the pve side (but not quite with pvp)
  • Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by Gajari

I am impressed with how well the graphics have held up over time. I know they did a graphics update a long time ago, but still, it looks pretty damn nice.

Too bad it's got such a small community now and is boringly dead while trying to level. Oh well, it was good times when it was newer. I started playing it originally a few months after it came out and played for a year. It was amazing at the time.

Graphics aren't what's killing the game, EA is.

All the bad decisions Mythic has made over time... have warped the game from what originally made it popular. They were going to go back to the start to bring it back to the period everyone used to love... make a true classic server, but EA killed it because WAR was doing badly.

The instancing, the Artifacts, the power creep, the moronic linear quest hub system, /level 20, all the "modern" garbage they added destroyed the game from the inside out. And the little things like making almost all classes have magic, making archers just wizards but with a bow and infinite arrows, removing death penalty, adding in the GPS auto tracking map, removing any kind of death penalty, adding glowing giant icons over quest NPCs, removing all the starter cities...

• DalynDalyn Member CommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Bioware Mythic, enough to make you vomit isn't it?

First EA/Mythic made them cancel Imperator AND the DAoC classic server.

Now Bioware has invaded and their influence is already apparent. Remember their big marketing push about their new linear quests with "moral choices"? That's not what DAoC needs.

It just amazes me how what was once the bar none best MMORPG on the market continues to get worse and worse.

I guess thats what happens when all the talent leaves the company and singleplayer game devs take over.

Another victim of EA.

Would of loved to hear what went on in the meeting when the decided DAOC needed quests with "Moral Consequences"....

Bioware needs to stay out of MMO's ..... IMO anyway......