Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What is so amazing with this game?

1246789

Comments

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by Requiamer

     

    Well honestly it's a point of view. Some people cannot see the novelty in anything, everyday is the same for them over and over again and nothing ever change. Some people will make a different dish of pasta every day even though it's a dish of pasta every day. I guess it's a question of curiosity and an ability to go inside things and spot the details. And people that are straight out negative will always claim that "it's the same crap" anyway.

     It's also a matter of different expectations and wanting different things.

    I personally think it's a bad idea to say 'I don't see what's different' just because of a difference of opinion on what you WANT to be different.

    I might not want to play Darkfall, but I can at least spot what's different. :)

    GW2 changes some things that some people don't care about, but that doesn't mean they didn't change those things.

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Badaboom

    For me GW2 is awesome because:

    1)  No sub fee

    2)  Dynamic events-never again will I play a quest hub MMO

    3) Scales you down in areas you outlevel to make all content relevant, for yourself or when grouping with lower level friends

    4) WvWvW-large scale pvp option

    5) Small scale, quick pvp

    6) Weapon Skill system

    7) Action combat

    8) PVE explorer's dream come true-lots of hidden goodies

    reason 8 is my favorite part of GW2

  • IndromeIndrome NortheimPosts: 292Member
    Originally posted by Adiaris

    I'd love to know what games you guys have been playing that has allowed you to "see it all before" 10 years playing MMOs (mostly fantasy, in fact) and GW2 [added: still] managed to surprise me at every turn from the macro look at things (no holy trinity, no quest hubs, return to exploration, finally enormous live capital cities, fun dynamic combat) to the micro (world and mechanics details, town clothes, not the usual skills, anyone can revive, and much more.) 

    [ ... ]

    QFT

     

    Also, the ability to look behind what only the eyes can perceive is a rare thing to come by in an "MMO player" these days.

    Most of them seem to be quite young and have made their earliest experiences in WoW or post-WoW games. I don't consider that as any kind of knowledge or awareness. This OP fails to back up his opinion with either of those anyways.

     

    „Schläft ein Lied in allen Dingen,    (A song asleep in every thing)
    Die da träumen fort und fort,            (that keeps on dreaming on and on)
    Und die Welt hebt an zu singen,     (and the world will rise and sing)
    Triffst du nur das Zauberwort.“         (if you know the magic song)

    (Wünschelrute by Eichendorff, loosely translated)

    image

  • AngztAngzt berlinPosts: 230Member

    in the first place, the fact that it's not released, wait till it is, people will start to cry again, as always (they need no reasons, do they....)

    "believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Adiaris
     

    I'd love to know what games you guys have been playing that has allowed you to "see it all before" 10 years playing MMOs (mostly fantasy, in fact) and GW2 managed to surprise me at every turn from the macro look at things (no holy trinity, no quest hubs, return to exploration, finally enormous live capital cities, fun dynamic combat) to the micro (world and mechanics details, town clothes, not the usual skills, anyone can revive, and much more.) 

    Perhaps people mean it's a fantasy setting, so you necessarily have "see it all before?" Bit of a strange concept for me, I love fantasy books for example and although of course they all share some similiarities (there's a hero and most often companions, there's good and evil, there's usually magic of some sort, and it's a fantasy world) I wouldn't say that every time I pick up a new book I think "I've seen it all before." 

     

    Sure it has a few nice twists on the standard features but tis nothnig amazing.. Sure i give you the capital city on its nice to have a massive city with NPCs walking around talking to each other and so on.. how much time are players gonig to spend in those cities ?

    No holy trinity? MMORPGs has done that before..  sure its nice not to have it in this game.

    No Quest hubs? been done before

    Dynamic Combat? I thought it was pretty average tab target system.. worked well tho.

    Anyone can revive? well thats a negative for me.. Me i want my MMORPGs to be a lot harder and everyone being able to revive takes a bit away from not.. sure not quite as bad as the instant revives in SWTOR but still..

    Exploration? been done before and yes tis nice to have :)

    I am not saying its a bad game at all, it actually plays pretty well and when released will probally be the best fantasty themepark MMORPG on the market as like i was saying even in closed beta it was a solid game with very little bugs.. but it does not make it ground braknig or anything and it does not bring anything really new to the table... thats it why i say i have seen it all before because I have.. people are going around making it out to be the second coming of juesus.. I am just being honest... this game is NOT the second coming of jesus yes its good but its not revolutionary at all..

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by Caldrin

    I am not saying its a bad game at all, it actually plays pretty well and when released will probally be the best fantasty themepark MMORPG on the market as like i was saying even in closed beta it was a solid game with very little bugs.. but it does not make it ground braknig or anything and it does not bring anything really new to the table... thats it why i say i have seen it all before because I have.. people are going around making it out to be the second coming of juesus.. I am just being honest... this game is NOT the second coming of jesus yes its good but its not revolutionary at all..

     Okay, starting from the top... B2P payment model from the start for an AAA MMORPG.

    Dynamic events being the majority of content and the focus of the game, with cascading results for many of them, depending upon winning or losing.

    Dynamic events chain in ways that actually involve NPCs walking around and doing things because of what happened, allowing you to logically follow from one part to another without an NPC explicitly explaining to you in quest text what your next step is and why.

    No node or kill stealing, everybody gets full, rather than shared xp and drops from any kills.  No competition over things in the PvE world, everybody you see is actually an ally, no worrying they will steal a drop, kill or resource node from you.

    Automatic leveling down in all zones.

    Instant access to full power PvP with access to all skills and powers.

    Hot joinable lobby style structured PvP matches that allow custom rule sets.

    Rotating 2 week inter-server 3 way large scale PvP.

    A different style of combat system (Whether or not you like it, it's built differently.  There are many MMORPGs that are literal copies of other MMORPG's combat system, with basically nothing to distinguish the two.)  Downed state, projectiles being interrupted by other characters or objects in the way, ability to use all skills outside of combat or without a target.  Emphasis on everybody reviving.  A restructuring from heal/tank/dps to support/control/dps with all the changes that entails (Like no taunting ability, more enemies that can kill you in 2-3 shots no matter how durable you are, more active rather than reactive support needed).  Swapping weapons, the streamlining of the skill bar and skills that double in function (Like things that are passives until activated, or skills that do one thing when activated, and a second thing when activated another time).  Combination attacks with other players that are visible in the world and can be chained by people who aren't even in your party.

    A relatively low power ceiling that changes over to horizontal and cosmetic improvement.

    A high emphasis on unique underwater combat.

    A lot of opportunities to change your action bar, whether it be with items you pick up, turrets you man, skills that change your bar, or contextual things like downed state, drowned state and being underwater.

    Overflow servers that dump multiple servers into a special server you can play in until your place in queue arrives.

    The ability to move inbetween servers to visit, except for WvW PvP.

    An emphasis on being able to play with friends in general... not just moving between servers, but quick convenient movement between locations in the game, single faction (So no friends on opposite faction you can't play with), leveling down in lower areas (So you can participate in things with friend without trivializing combat), scaling up of events (So if there's more people, events become more of a challenge and give more people things to do), rewards commensurate with your actual level even while leveled down (So it's not completely pointless to hang out with friends).

    A server-wide auction house that allows people to post bids AND requests for items.

    The ability to change music playlists in a contextual fashion (So there's specific town music and battle music and so on).

    Lots and lots of interesting little flourishes and touches like messenger pigeons for mail, randomized combinations of sounds to create more realistic objects like windmills, a ridiculous amount of Foley attention to sounds, like different types of armor on different surfaces.  NPCs holding conversations... and a LOT of them, the beauty and architecture of all the capital cities, the way the dye system works differently depending upon the type of material you're applying it to, the way grass sways around you as you move, or the way it's drawn towards you with some attacks...

    ... all this with a high level of polish and with the developers actually delivering on what they've mentioned.

    Whether or not you can name a game or two that do some of the things, there's some thing no other MMORPG does, and you definitely can't find a game that puts even a third of these together in a single package.

    Just because say... Castlevania Symphony of the Night is a combination of Castlevania, Metroid and an RPG, you can't say it's 'basically the exact same as what came before', because it doesn't really work that way, when you create a synthesis.

  • crazygeekcrazygeek new york, NYPosts: 7Member

    i like this game so much coz it s easy to play, it is the real casual game for players like me

    Like father, like son. buy vial of the sands

  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Long Beach, CAPosts: 1,156Member
    Originally posted by Printscreen

    because some cheap mofos don't like paying monthly for games.

    Yeah, i've noticed that. To many gamers, the cheaper a game, the quality increases somehow. I've seen tons of players who hate TOR and despise it, but say they'd "buy it in a heart beat" if it was B2P. Meh.

    OP, why do i like GW2? Because i think it's a good game. I like the art style, combat, quests, pvp, etc, etc. Do i think it's "amazing"? Nope, but still a good game. Sometime players just like different things. What can you do.

  • seridanseridan ThessalonikiPosts: 1,202Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Meowhead

     Okay, starting from the top... B2P payment model from the start for an AAA MMORPG.

    Dynamic events being the majority of content and the focus of the game, with cascading results for many of them, depending upon winning or losing.

    Dynamic events chain in ways that actually involve NPCs walking around and doing things because of what happened, allowing you to logically follow from one part to another without an NPC explicitly explaining to you in quest text what your next step is and why.

    No node or kill stealing, everybody gets full, rather than shared xp and drops from any kills.  No competition over things in the PvE world, everybody you see is actually an ally, no worrying they will steal a drop, kill or resource node from you.

    Automatic leveling down in all zones.

    Instant access to full power PvP with access to all skills and powers.

    Hot joinable lobby style structured PvP matches that allow custom rule sets.

    Rotating 2 week inter-server 3 way large scale PvP.

    A different style of combat system (Whether or not you like it, it's built differently.  There are many MMORPGs that are literal copies of other MMORPG's combat system, with basically nothing to distinguish the two.)  Downed state, projectiles being interrupted by other characters or objects in the way, ability to use all skills outside of combat or without a target.  Emphasis on everybody reviving.  A restructuring from heal/tank/dps to support/control/dps with all the changes that entails (Like no taunting ability, more enemies that can kill you in 2-3 shots no matter how durable you are, more active rather than reactive support needed).  Swapping weapons, the streamlining of the skill bar and skills that double in function (Like things that are passives until activated, or skills that do one thing when activated, and a second thing when activated another time).  Combination attacks with other players that are visible in the world and can be chained by people who aren't even in your party.

    A relatively low power ceiling that changes over to horizontal and cosmetic improvement.

    A high emphasis on unique underwater combat.

    A lot of opportunities to change your action bar, whether it be with items you pick up, turrets you man, skills that change your bar, or contextual things like downed state, drowned state and being underwater.

    Overflow servers that dump multiple servers into a special server you can play in until your place in queue arrives.

    The ability to move inbetween servers to visit, except for WvW PvP.

    An emphasis on being able to play with friends in general... not just moving between servers, but quick convenient movement between locations in the game, single faction (So no friends on opposite faction you can't play with), leveling down in lower areas (So you can participate in things with friend without trivializing combat), scaling up of events (So if there's more people, events become more of a challenge and give more people things to do), rewards commensurate with your actual level even while leveled down (So it's not completely pointless to hang out with friends).

    A server-wide auction house that allows people to post bids AND requests for items.

    The ability to change music playlists in a contextual fashion (So there's specific town music and battle music and so on).

    Lots and lots of interesting little flourishes and touches like messenger pigeons for mail, randomized combinations of sounds to create more realistic objects like windmills, a ridiculous amount of Foley attention to sounds, like different types of armor on different surfaces.  NPCs holding conversations... and a LOT of them, the beauty and architecture of all the capital cities, the way the dye system works differently depending upon the type of material you're applying it to, the way grass sways around you as you move, or the way it's drawn towards you with some attacks...

    ... all this with a high level of polish and with the developers actually delivering on what they've mentioned.

    Whether or not you can name a game or two that do some of the things, there's some thing no other MMORPG does, and you definitely can't find a game that puts even a third of these together in a single package.

    Just because say... Castlevania Symphony of the Night is a combination of Castlevania, Metroid and an RPG, you can't say it's 'basically the exact same as what came before', because it doesn't really work that way, when you create a synthesis.

    Well said. But you are wasting your posting time it's still NOT a sandbox so "it can't be amazing" for many people. For some obscure reason only Sandboxes can be amazing

    Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

  • IPolygonIPolygon ViennaPosts: 707Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Meowhead

     snip

    Well said. But you are wasting your posting time it's still NOT a sandbox so "it can't be amazing" for many people. For some obscure reason only Sandboxes can be amazing

    By definition, it actually is a sandbox game, because you can do whatever you want to do, when you want to do it. Nothing else is hidden behind the term sandbox.

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

    Yeah, i've noticed that. To many gamers, the cheaper a game, the quality increases somehow. I've seen tons of players who hate TOR and despise it, but say they'd "buy it in a heart beat" if it was B2P. Meh.

    OP, why do i like GW2? Because i think it's a good game. I like the art style, combat, quests, pvp, etc, etc. Do i think it's "amazing"? Nope, but still a good game. Sometime players just like different things. What can you do.

     Quality doesn't increase the cheaper a game gets, but the game DOES get cheaper.  I mean, that's the whole point.

    It's like how Steam Sales work (Hey, let's be topical with up to date things! :D ).  You might not think a game is worth say..... 60 dollars, but how about 5 dollars?

    You might pay 99 cents for some iPad game like Angry Birds, but would you spend 60 dollars?  Of course not.

    If everything cost the exact same, of course quality would be more likely to win out.... but do you eat 80 dollar gourmet meals every day?  Probably not.  Price is an important factor, and people who downplay it are ignoring the existence of sales, budget games, used games, and decreasing price points as a game ages.

    Also, the argument for many (I originally said most, but thought it over, and realized I can't speak for MOST) GW2 fans is 'The game is as good or better than the best MMORPGs out there for me, BUT even if your tastes dont' align perfectly with it, it's still a relatively safe bet, because it's much less expensive'.

    Speaking of TOR, it's on sale for 2.50.  I STILL didn't buy it, because every single friend of mine who played it has quit, and won't go back to it (Because of the subscription), so I thought it'd kind of suck to own when I couldn't play with any friends.  That's a depressing way to play an MMORPG.

    Would I buy it for 60 bucks if it was B2P?  Actually, yes.  Because I would have a lot easier time convincing my friends to play with me, since they wouldn't have to put down another 15 dollars just to hang out with me in that game.

    So even though 2.50 + 5 months of play (One free) is the same price as B2P, and I'm not even sure I'd play the game for 5 whole months... not being B2P has stopped me from buying it.  It's not a cheapness issue... or in a way it is, because none of my friends wanted to go back to paying the subscription :P

  • seridanseridan ThessalonikiPosts: 1,202Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Meowhead

     snip

    Well said. But you are wasting your posting time it's still NOT a sandbox so "it can't be amazing" for many people. For some obscure reason only Sandboxes can be amazing

    By definition, it actually is a sandbox game, because you can do whatever you want to do, when you want to do it. Nothing else is hidden behind the term sandbox.

    Yeah I know but lots of people think of a sandbox as something different and just because GW2 is not like their definition of sandbox it can't be amazing.... they see as something it isn't, not as something it is

    Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

  • AdiarisAdiaris RomePosts: 381Member
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by Adiaris
     

    I'd love to know what games you guys have been playing that has allowed you to "see it all before" 10 years playing MMOs (mostly fantasy, in fact) and GW2 managed to surprise me at every turn from the macro look at things (no holy trinity, no quest hubs, return to exploration, finally enormous live capital cities, fun dynamic combat) to the micro (world and mechanics details, town clothes, not the usual skills, anyone can revive, and much more.) 

    Perhaps people mean it's a fantasy setting, so you necessarily have "see it all before?" Bit of a strange concept for me, I love fantasy books for example and although of course they all share some similiarities (there's a hero and most often companions, there's good and evil, there's usually magic of some sort, and it's a fantasy world) I wouldn't say that every time I pick up a new book I think "I've seen it all before." 

     

    Sure it has a few nice twists on the standard features but tis nothnig amazing.. Sure i give you the capital city on its nice to have a massive city with NPCs walking around talking to each other and so on.. how much time are players gonig to spend in those cities ?

    No holy trinity? MMORPGs has done that before..  sure its nice not to have it in this game.

    No Quest hubs? been done before

    Dynamic Combat? I thought it was pretty average tab target system.. worked well tho.

    Anyone can revive? well thats a negative for me.. Me i want my MMORPGs to be a lot harder and everyone being able to revive takes a bit away from not.. sure not quite as bad as the instant revives in SWTOR but still..

    Exploration? been done before and yes tis nice to have :)

    I am not saying its a bad game at all, it actually plays pretty well and when released will probally be the best fantasty themepark MMORPG on the market as like i was saying even in closed beta it was a solid game with very little bugs.. but it does not make it ground braknig or anything and it does not bring anything really new to the table... thats it why i say i have seen it all before because I have.. people are going around making it out to be the second coming of juesus.. I am just being honest... this game is NOT the second coming of jesus yes its good but its not revolutionary at all..

    Other posters have covered it but just wanted to point out one thing. Hardly anything - in any industry not just gaming - is a revolution or whatever, and yes most of these things have been done before by one or other games. But that's not the point. A single "different" feature is generally not enough for me to make something interesting if the context of the game is pretty much the same formulaic crap in its entirety. What's brilliant about Gw2 in my experience is that the Devs have succeeded in bringing a number of what I consider improvements and in some case innovations across the spectrum, and not just say to "combat" or "voiceovers" etc..

    The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and results in a fun and refreshing playing experience - and one that I finally look forward to.

  • emotaemota PLYMOUTHPosts: 377Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IPolygon

    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Meowhead

     snip

    Well said. But you are wasting your posting time it's still NOT a sandbox so "it can't be amazing" for many people. For some obscure reason only Sandboxes can be amazing

    By definition, it actually is a sandbox game, because you can do whatever you want to do, when you want to do it. Nothing else is hidden behind the term sandbox.

     

    Have to pick you up on this, .GW2 is not a sandbox game lol
  • ReskaillevReskaillev mechelenPosts: 157Member
    Originally posted by emota
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Meowhead

     snip

    Well said. But you are wasting your posting time it's still NOT a sandbox so "it can't be amazing" for many people. For some obscure reason only Sandboxes can be amazing

    By definition, it actually is a sandbox game, because you can do whatever you want to do, when you want to do it. Nothing else is hidden behind the term sandbox.

     

    Have to pick you up on this, .GW2 is not a sandbox game lol

    There we go again....jeez

     

    Definition - What does Sandbox mean?

    Sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.

    A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game.

    from: http://www.techopedia.com/definition/3952/sandbox

    Guild Wars 2 IS a sandbox according to that definition -_- 

    And you do have full access from start to finish, you just die if you go to a zone that is too dangerous for you

    "Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

  • emotaemota PLYMOUTHPosts: 377Member Uncommon
    By definition, come on. You know as well as I GW2 is no sandbox. Go and play EvE, MO, DFO etc you will quickly realise GW2 is no sandbox! It's a themepark.
  • DKLondDKLond AlbertslundPosts: 579Member Uncommon

    I've seen nothing amazing about the game, but it seems like a pretty high-quality themepark directed mostly at casual/mainstream gamers.

    I'd say the best thing about it is the pricing model, and unless you really don't like the core design - it's probably great value for money.

    Personally, I don't think I can get much long-term enjoyment out of it - but it's hard to imagine not getting 20-30 hours of fun from a game this hyped and this long in development, somehow. So I plan on getting this and I'll be pleasantly surprised if I discover the greatness that so many people are talking about.

  • IPolygonIPolygon ViennaPosts: 707Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by emota
    By definition, come on. You know as well as I GW2 is no sandbox. Go and play EvE, MO, DFO etc you will quickly realise GW2 is no sandbox! It's a themepark.

    Sandbox does not mean you can build stuff. It may be a feature, but that's not a core element of it. Rockstar is pretty good at making single player sandbox games.

  • DKLondDKLond AlbertslundPosts: 579Member Uncommon

    GW2 isn't a literal sandbox and it CERTAINLY isn't a sandbox in traditional MMO terms, because that's about player-driven content and a player-driven economy.

    GW2 is a themepark MMO created for the casual/mainstream gamer - but it does seem to have a relatively freeform levelling experience.

  • c-motc-mot FrankfurtPosts: 49Member Uncommon

    For me (as mainly PvE'er) the major difference between GW2 and all the other MMO's i played out there is thats its the first game i played with a "massive" crowd of people.

    in most others MMO's you play alongside others or even against others in PvE.

    it was really a change to run through the world and join the action whenever i see them, without the issue of kill stealing or ninja looting. every aspect of the game is aimed at cooperation and reward for helping other players. when i see fallen players on the map nearby i will head over to revive and help in the fight. noone is stealing your questitems or tag mobs for loot rights.

    when i returned after my first gw2 bwe to swtor the first thing that happened was that while i was fighting the mobs at a quest item a player run through and took the item, leaving me with the mobs and the respawn timer for the quest item. i am currently playing tsw and the quests are fun, but its the same again if lots of players or several groups competing for limited quest objects.

    of course you can group up for those quests. but in the end its just your group against the others if there are many doing the same stuff at a time. it should not be an advantage to do stuff noone else is doing in a MMO.

  • DKLondDKLond AlbertslundPosts: 579Member Uncommon

    Well, we had dynamic group content in WAR - and even more in Rift. It was nice - but didn't really change the genre all that much.

    GW2 and their dynamic events are also nice and there are more of them, but based on my time with the beta, it's just variation on a handful of themes repeated over and over. I don't see the big deal.

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member
    Originally posted by emota
    By definition, come on. You know as well as I GW2 is no sandbox. Go and play EvE, MO, DFO etc you will quickly realise GW2 is no sandbox! It's a themepark.

    Oh for sure... if you played MO or DFO, you quickly realize GW2 is not the same... and you are very happy about that ;-)

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • DKLondDKLond AlbertslundPosts: 579Member Uncommon

    EvE Online is an example of a successful sandbox. A sandbox doesn't have to fail - but it's pretty unrealistic to appeal to millions with it. That's because most people don't really want to invest in a game - they just want to get home from work, kick back, and consume. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not for everyone.

    ArcheAge looks like it has potential - if it's ever released in the US/EU.

    GW2 is NOT a game for the typical sandbox player.

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member

    One could argue it's not the game for the typical WoW clone theme park player either. Just see how they are confused by having to explore to find events and by the lack of tiered gear grind.

    It's something inbetween.

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • MahavishnuMahavishnu BerlinPosts: 336Member

    Its overall amzaing amazingness makes this game amazingly amazing in a very amazing way!

    Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

Sign In or Register to comment.