Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is still on the fence considering to buy this game?

AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

Before release there were a lot of people saying that they would not buy a game at release and especiallly not from Funcom. I was wondering if there are still anybody out there. Release was smooth and the game has plenty of content. 

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    [mod edit]
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I gotta say- This game does not feel and play like an MMO.

BUT that isnt to say its a "bad game"- In fact, had they made this a single player game with multiplayer questing (no sub or CS) this could have been grand. The story and atmosphere is quite well put together and the puzzles seem very clever and not the dumbed down content we have been force fed for years.

Sadly, an "MMORPG" this is not...And the people I know who have played have pretty well cleared the content and will not be re upping their sub based on the "end game" (lack thereof). I was never on the fence since several people I knew were trying it out and I was able to get a sneak peek at the Beta and finally test drive the released game. That coupled with my friends opinions (which I respect) I have given it a big pass.

From my understanding if you have a very limited and casual playstyle you will probably be okay- A weekend or two of gaming hardcore and you will burn through the story (which seems good) and be left with an endgame which is very....Lackluster. 

They really dropped the ball on this one IMHO- The concept and care they took with this game would have made a mighty fine single player game for PC/Xbox/PS3- But they forgot this was supposed to be aqn MMO.

• EquintinEquintin Member UncommonPosts: 137
    [mod edit]

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

I got more playtime out of TSW than I got out of most single player games out there, so in my opinion it was well worth the purchase.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Krytycal

I got more playtime out of TSW than I got out of most single player games out there, so in my opinion it was well worth the purchase.

I have heard the same thing- And also that the content was quite good (I am not not knocking the game)

But do you see yourself continuing a sub once you are through the story? I guess thaqt was my point.

EDIT: I am not at ALL saying the game was a ripoff or anything-  Its a good game. But what will the longevity factor be?

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Not really. I was actually considering it earlier, but I decided to wait to see what actual players thought about it. After reading some reviews, and factoring my own opinions from playing CBT, I decided against it. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I believe you should try and get a buddy key and see for yourself if you like this game or not.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    [mod edit]
  • MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I am still on the fence. Will probably give it a shot this winter or something if I get really bored. If the beta was less buggy and the combat felt better, I would have definitely bought it on release. It seems to be doing well and people enjoy it, but it didn't feel "ready" to me.

Hopefully will give it a go sometime later this year :) Then again, there are games like GW2, PS2, Firefall, FFXIV 2.0 that look great, so we'll see.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Vutar

Has been two or three patches now.

Chat is still broken, though not as severely as it was.

Quests they say are fixed, still aren't. (the frustrating thing is they will work for some and not others)

Gearmanager still doesn't work. (an essential thing for a game that relies on build switching)

Still no auction house.

PvP is beyond repair at this point.  The faction imbalance is so great it is hopeless. 

Numerous glitches and bugs in instances. 

These are only a few of the issues the game has but what is the most frustating of it all is how many things the patches claim are fixed, but they aren't. Even the diehards on the official forum are getting fed up.

If you are still "on the fence" I would recommend staying there for awhile still or jumping off on the "do no buy." side. I can only assume that people who say "it was a smooth launch" are referring to server stability only. In its current condition this game is not worthy paying a sub for. You would be better off waiting 6 months or so and seeing if anyone is left.

I havent ran into a broken quest yet and been playing for about 2 weeks.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by xDayx

Has been two or three patches now.

Quests they say are fixed, still aren't. (the frustrating thing is they will work for some and not others)

Gearmanager still doesn't work. (an essential thing for a game that relies on build switching)

Still no auction house.

PvP is beyond repair at this point.  The faction imbalance is so great it is hopeless. 

Numerous glitches and bugs in instances. 

These are only a few of the issues the game has but what is the most frustating of it all is how many things the patches claim are fixed, but they aren't. Even the diehards on the official forum are getting fed up.

If you are still "on the fence" I would recommend staying there for awhile still or jumping off on the "do no buy." side. I can only assume that people who say "it was a smooth launch" are referring to server stability only. In its current condition this game is not worthy paying a sub for. You would be better off waiting 6 months or so and seeing if anyone is left.

I havent ran into a broken quest yet and been playing for about 2 weeks.

then you got lucky as ive run into about 4 now that were bugged . But to speak up on funcoms behalf the CSR's will allow you a limited number of free passes where they will push you past the stage thats bugged and they usually answer your ticket within the hour , ive had some answer within about 5 mins of posting it . Good customer service in game IMO But yeah a buggy launch for sure is a lot of stuff thats pretty messed up right now with the game. Its def playable but if your easily frustrated with bugs and such wait til the big patch in less then two weeks.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by tares
    Originally posted by Aceundor

Before release there were a lot of people saying that they would not buy a game at release and especiallly not from Funcom. I was wondering if there are still anybody out there. Release was smooth and the game has plenty of content. 

[mod edit]

Funny. If if i was supposed to raid or pvp at the end of TSW id have probably stayed away from it. 

My long term plans are completing the wheel, finishing decks and doing new missions. The length of time ill stay subbed will depend on how often funcom is capable of releasing new missions. If they can hold the rythm they are promising (seven new missions on 1 august) theyll have me for a while. The ball is entirely in their field.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    [mod edit]

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

[mod edit]

whoever claims that game doesnt have alot of content is plain and simple wrong.

you can rush through every content, skyrim was completed in 4 hours, you wanna tell me skyrim had no content?

hell, mario even was completed in 10 mins i think.

there are always people who play games the wrong way, if you throw the chessboard over on turn 2, chess sucks too for example, doesnt mean that game ends after 10 mins tho because a few single persons always tend to play it like this

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by angzt

you can rush through every content, skyrim was completed in 4 hours, you wanna tell me skyrim had no content?

That was my point, it is a single player RPG, sell it that way. People have finished every quest and filled out the entire skill wheel. That is FULL completion and it has only been two weeks.  Is strange though when this game gets props in the OP for having "plenty" content.  Quantity of content is objective, so 60 to 80 hours may be plenty. Maybe I expect to much from MASSIVE MO games. 

Yes it has as much content as a single player RPG. It is a pretty average RPG though.

This game has plenty of issues I don't mention, so I'm not out for blood. It just happens to be my most recent MMO, when I pick up another one will go over there.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

[mod edit]

Don't know who these million of people are.

Myself, i don't care about endgame. There's no themeparkw ith intersting ideas for it anyway. But TSW's journey to it is sounding like the most interesting IMO. I haven't bought yet, but the amount of content out of the box is more than enough to justify a purchuse.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

That was my point, it is a single player RPG, sell it that way. People have finished every quest and filled out the entire skill wheel. That is FULL completion and it has only been two weeks.  Is strange though when this game gets props in the OP for having "plenty" content.  Quantity of content is objective, so 60 to 80 hours may be plenty. Maybe I expect to much from MASSIVE MO games. 

Yes it has as much content as a single player RPG. It is a pretty average RPG though.

This game has plenty of issues I don't mention, so I'm not out for blood. It just happens to be my most recent MMO, when I pick up another one will go over there.

Ah, so you're saying that the "massive" in MMO should mean "massive amounts of content" ? ;)

It seems to me that the average MMO'er these days expects to "finish" the content in under 2 months of casual play. If they cannot reach endgame in that time, the game is written-off as being too "grindy". A significant number of players will reach endgame in the first month of play.

No matter how much content there is in a zone while levelling-up, the average player will move to the next zone as soon as they can, regardless of how much of the current zone's content they have completed. Usually the XP rate is better in a higher level zone.

Once at level-cap, there is no incentive to "go back" to a lower zone to do unfinished quests. The content and rewards will be trivial. So unless the player likes rolling alts, or gets on the endgame "daily grind" treadmill, they're done with the game.

If players treat MMO's like single-player games, is it any wonder that developers are making them that way ?

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131

Still no auction house.

AH is coming in the first content update. The problems you listed, are annoying, though. If anyone is on the fence, I'd actually recommend waiting at least a few weeks, until these issues are fixed - personally I'm on the fence about getting a lifetime sub, since I really like the game, but I'm not getting it until core features (chat, gear manager) work properly. 

I still think it was a fairly smooth launch since there were no server issues, very little downtime, and way less bugs than most MMOs that have been released since 2004. Funcom do need to get off their butts and fix the few glaring issues the game does have, if it is to have any longevity (i.e. if they don't want people ragequitting at the end of the free month). :)

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

[mod edit] According to http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/ nobody has finished the skill wheel and the guy at #100 has just finished 47% of it. Most people are probably between 10% and 30% complete now. The guy with the most xp has probably been busting his ass 16 hours a day since June 29th taking the missions and killing the mobs that give most xp.  Thats 20 days of insane power gaming or 320 hours which is more than I work in two months. And he still hasn't been able to get all the abilities.

The best part of it? The game still doesn't feel like a grind to people who just play the game, do missions, dungeons, lairs or PvP. There is a lot of horizontal progression that makes it cool to get new abilities, but not really necessary.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I was one of those people. However, after participating in the beta testing I was so impressed with the game I went ahead and purchased it. Very glad I did. Having a great time with the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482
    Originally posted

Sorry, this is simply wrong. The proof in is the chronicles.

The very top player in xp gathering has completed 95% of the skill wheel. Number 10 has completed 75%. So there is plenty to do for the avvid grinder. 

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/leaderboard#global/1/52/overall/xp

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• LostcogLostcog Member Posts: 21

No one has completed the entire skill wheel. The person with the most XP earned in the game (which is viewable from the Chronicle app on Funcom's site) does not have a full wheel. That person earned 354,000,000 xp. I have 50 hours played and I only have 35 million and have not left the Solomon Island. There are always those people that play 20+ hours a day and power through everything as fast as possible. That is there right but that does not mean the game lacks content.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I'll see where the game is at in 6 months or so if i'm not playing anything else by then. I haven't been terribly impressed with what i've seen on livestreams/read on forums so far. The largely solo-oriented/story based design has never been my cup of tea.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd

[mod edit] According to http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/ nobody has finished the skill wheel and the guy at #100 has just finished 47% of it. Most people are probably between 10% and 30% complete now. The guy with the most xp has probably been busting his ass 16 hours a day since June 29th taking the missions and killing the mobs that give most xp.  Thats 20 days of insane power gaming or 320 hours which is more than I work in two months. And he still hasn't been able to get all the abilities.

The best part of it? The game still doesn't feel like a grind to people who just play the game, do missions, dungeons, lairs or PvP. There is a lot of horizontal progression that makes it cool to get new abilities, but not really necessary.

Want to know why he has not finished it.  You have to repeat every freaking mission or constantly grind SH to get xp.  You think he is doing new missions everyday or something.   I guarantee he has to repeat every Egypt/Transylvania mission or do SH back to back just to get a good chunk of xp.  Only way I'm actually gaining any decent amount of xp.  http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Oci  Go to agartha, if people are not spamming for NM runs, they are spamming for SH speed runs.

BOOYAKA!

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

To anyone on the fence:

This is different than your standard MMO.  This is not a clone.  This is (IMHO) quite a masterpiece.

It is so different that I can happily play this while continuing to play Rift. 

I just got finished with another investigation mission.  I have to say, even when I have to look up part of one, those missions are incredibly addictive and fun. 

Anyone who says that missions in general in TSW are "standard" is just plain wrong in my opinion.

Being that I am not a "locust" type of gamer that gobbles content, skipping the best parts, I will enjoy this for a very long time to come.

If you are truly on the fence, I say hop off and give this a shot.  It's been worth the entrance fee by far already.

My opinion.  Which I throw around as fact.  Since i'm awesome.