Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Bootcamp Exclusive Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

PlanetSide 2 has quickly become one of those "must watch" games around here at MMORPG.com. Our own Ripper X recently had the opportunity to check out PS2 during Bootcamp. We've got an exclusive first look at PlanetSide 2 that you will NOT want to miss! Keep reading!

A morphed voicemail told me to come to San Diego for an exclusive playtest of Planetside 2. I was in shock, could this be a joke? After all, this is the one game I’ve been dying to get my hands on and what are the chances it could actually be coming to fruition? I considered for a moment if I was getting trolled by one of the many masterminds on my gamer list, but lucky for you I decided to take the risk. And so began my journey to San Diego.

Read more of Ripper X's PlanetSide 2: Bootcamp Exclusive Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Can't wait til beta, ty for the article.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

VS the best , ugh. TR is the best.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

cant wait

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

I just hope SOE don't mess up with their free to play model and make this awesome looking game really free to play with a cash shop for cosmetics and xp boosts etc.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I am less worried about cash shop than I am with hacker defense as this is the number one thing that destroys FPS(especially F2P) games.

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

looking great :)

Beta tester maniac

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

We need to get together and hunt down Higby so that we can scalp him!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Ye make a MMORPG guild called The Higby Hunters.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

This looks amazing, thank you for the videos! Also excited that this is the engine they are using for EQNext (according to early SOE interviews). Looking forward to playing both of these :)

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Ripper said "I am awsome at this game, well, ummm Im ok " lol

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

That looks pretty damn cool I've gotta say!

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

ahhhhh yeahhhh

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Sleeper hit of 2012! (prediction)

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Enjoyable as always Rip. Thanks.

• CrashsplashCrashsplash Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Agricola1

the scalping happened last week :p

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Vanu is Teal and Purple not green. Just saying.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

This is going to leave Tribes Acend in the dust as a F2P FPS.

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71

Guys, Higby already shaved his head (it was a streamed event and people were invited to come down and get their hair cut/head shaved along with the devs) and the tech beta has already started. Next comes the closed beta. =)

I'm surprised MMORPG.com didn't have info about their other event, which happened last Friday (day after Higby got his head shaved). They invited everyone to SOE headquarters to play the game, have some pizza, win some prizes, and meet the team. If I lived out there I would have been in the line to play.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Interesting. I thought it was going to be b2p. Might not be a good thing.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Not too happy to see specific class known as engineer and medic, i liked it when you had just 5 types of armors but could equip specific weapons to them and yet still take the role of the medic or engineer if you had to..

This feels more like Battlefield 3 than it does the true Planetside, but not having played beta yet i have to hold my condeming speech until i have played the game.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by Deathwing980

Not too happy to see specific class known as engineer and medic, i liked it when you had just 5 types of armors but could equip specific weapons to them and yet still take the role of the medic or engineer if you had to..

This feels more like Battlefield 3 than it does the true Planetside, but not having played beta yet i have to hold my condeming speech until i have played the game.

I am very much looking forward to playing, but you bring up the one point that makes me a bit miffed.  Can't stand that they put classes into the mix.  It was damn near perfect the way they had it in the first Planetside where you could desin your character the way you wanted to.  All they needed to do was take the exact structure of the original game and update it with the engine that they now have (which looks incredible by the way).  If they would have redone it exactly as they originally had it (minus a few very minor corrections) it would have been perfect.

I hope I'm very wrong and the classes work out OK, but I think that was their one big mistake.  It simply makes it look like all the other FPS's on the market, and not what made PS unique.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

When I played Planetside the highest Battle Rank was 25, I made it to 22.  My prefered certification load out was Standard Exo-Suit, Standard Assault, Medical, Advanced Medical, Engineering, Combat Engineering, Hacking, Advanced Hacking, Ground Support.  Sometimes I would give up the hacking for a Rocklet Rifle that I would snipe with it in single fire mode.  A Max always expected it to be used at close range and rapid fire.

Basically I am not a fan of the hard classes in PS2, like I am of them in other MMOs.  I really feel that the Cert system of PS1 made it more of an MMORPG rather than a MMOFPS.  The original Cert system allows you to develop and play your role as you see fit.  My role was underpowered, but I felt honored to risk my life to support those who chose a more active combat role.

My role was to man turrets, repair Armour and Health, to raise the dead, and hack doors and lobby equipment terminals.

I hope they go back to the classless system.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It actually looks pretty cool.  Not sure if I'm twitchy enough to play it these days but if it's free to play I'd give it a shot.

The graphics looks great too.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by Centhan
    Originally posted by Deathwing980

I am very much looking forward to playing, but you bring up the one point that makes me a bit miffed.  Can't stand that they put classes into the mix.  It was damn near perfect the way they had it in the first Planetside where you could desin your character the way you wanted to.  All they needed to do was take the exact structure of the original game and update it with the engine that they now have (which looks incredible by the way).  If they would have redone it exactly as they originally had it (minus a few very minor corrections) it would have been perfect.

I hope I'm very wrong and the classes work out OK, but I think that was their one big mistake.  It simply makes it look like all the other FPS's on the market, and not what made PS unique.

There were players in Reinforced Exo-Suit with a Medical cert as well.  They are making this to play more like Team Fortress and not PS1.  But I say F Team Fortress.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.