Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Wednesday, August 31. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

Who watches e-sports? POLL

MexorillaMexorilla Las Vegas, NVPosts: 313Member

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member Uncommon

Missing an option of      "huh? what is this?... I don't even..."

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade BucurestiPosts: 757Member Uncommon

Tried to watch, but didn't hold my interest at all. Not a big sports watcher IRL either tho, since I only watch hockey, rugby and cycling, so that might be a reason also.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,505Member Uncommon

it bores the hell out of me... I like playing games not watching them..

Not a big sports fan really.. well other than Rugby but watching RL sport can at least be exciting LOL

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 6,212Member Uncommon

Quite frequently yes. Good e-sport games and great casters make following it very easy even if you haven't played the game yourself. I watch League of Legends, Starcraft 2, FPS tournaments every now and again and most recently Street Fighter. We gather in mumble to watch streams together with friends.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• RednecksithRednecksith Madison heights, MIPosts: 1,238Member

I'd rather watch golf than 'e-sports'. To me the whole concept is a joke.

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,772Member Rare

"it bores the hell out of me... I like playing games not watching them.."

Agreed.  My enjoyment in games is all about play.  There just seems to be a lot better things to do in life that watch others playing a game.

• PalebanePalebane Tucson, AZPosts: 3,225Member

I never really cared for E-Sports. I wouldn't mind watching them though if it was something I was genuinely interested in. I like to watch my friends play videogames sometimes. I'm just not really that competitive myself.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    [...] There just seems to be a lot better things to do in life that watch others playing a game.

Tell that to the millions of sports fans in the world.

• GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    [...] There just seems to be a lot better things to do in life that watch others playing a game.

Tell that to the millions of sports fans in the world.

Golf is boring to watch, fun to play (in a video game or RL)

Baseball is boring to watch, boring to play (video game or otherwise)

American Footbal is fun to watch, and too dangerous to play outside of a videogame.

~Won't get into boxing or UFC, but I will say that shit's fun as hell to watch.

This only speaks for myself, though... but I like to think that the more painful it is to put to practice, the more fun it is to sit back and watch others hurt themselves with.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Abu DhabiPosts: 79Member

I love watching any competitive sport  .. i dont see much difference between on field sports and electronic sports ... both require elite skill levels, practise and hard work ... being a big sport fan and a long time gamer i took to e sports like fish to water ... Cant wait to see where E sports leads to in the future ... My favs are Dota/Lol/ and everyones fav as well SC :)

Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Golf is boring to watch, fun to play (in a video game or RL)

Baseball is boring to watch, boring to play (video game or otherwise)

American Footbal is fun to watch, and too dangerous to play outside of a videogame.

~Won't get into boxing or UFC, but I will say that shit's fun as hell to watch.

This only speaks for myself, though... but I like to think that the more painful it is to put to practice, the more fun it is to sit back and watch others hurt themselves with.

I rate games in much the same way.

Soccer is boring to watch, fun to play.

Hockey is fun to watch, and fun to play.

But to each their own: Soccer is a lot more popular than hockey is.

I don't play Starcraft 2 because it would take me a year to hone my execution to an acceptable level, but I like to watch it nevertheless.

• DragonantisDragonantis DublinPosts: 974Member

The only E-sports I watch is LoL tournaments, I watch it, keep it running in the BG when im working ect ect.

Love it :)

• As someone said, I'd rather play games than watch them. I love to play chess but I'm completely incapable of watching others play it for longer than two seconds.

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,605Member Uncommon

I like watching fighting game tournaments. Some of those are pretty amazing. I also like to watch pinball tournaments. And I enjoy watching speed run videos of people beating games at crazy fast speeds and perfect timing.

But mobas and mmos? Id rather watch paint dry.

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,605Member Uncommon

This is where e-sport thrives. MMOS? no

• kb4blukb4blu Fuquay Varina, NCPosts: 708Member Uncommon

I am not a sports fan.  I think they are pretty much overpaid neanderthals.  As far as E-sports go I would rather watch paint dry.

• dominiadominia round rock, TXPosts: 191Member

All the time, only Starcraft 2.

Currently Playing: GW2
    Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

• fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member
    Originally posted by Foomerang
    This is where e-sport thrives. MMOS? no

I imagined watching whole tournament or even just 10 highest ranked fights.

I would die of boredom.  Don't really get all this excitement. Not interesting for me.

To each their own though.

• AqueAque Hemet, CAPosts: 118Member

StarCraft 2  can have some epic games -

I like watching the top players, they get big money for winning.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,855Member Uncommon

I watch some of the tourny's on twitch. I've been to WCG before when it was in Seattle, but other than that I haven't really had many of them pop up on my screen so I have no idea they are going on. Apparently a lot of people get into them though, seeing as the SC2 tournament was going on on twitch and had 22 thousand people watching it. I mean thats quite a few for a video game match.

• Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTPosts: 1,170Member Uncommon

e-sport...

I don't get it actually. But I still cringe when they claim the "World Series of Poker" to be a sport.

Wikipedia has this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport, I tend to agree that "sport" should be some sort of physical activity. Not to say you could not have Pro-gaming circuts, that spectators could ans should watch.

Am I forseeing scolarships to major universities for LoL players? doubtfull. Maybe some gamers with the tourch at the Olymipcs? I hope not.

I am all about being a "pro-gamer", by that I mean one that makes a living at gaming, but it is not a sport. Maybe it is all semantics, but I think it should be.

My wide angle lens on life sees all these "nerds" trying to get  relabled as "jocks" by calling what they do a sport.

Do What Cha Like, and be proud of it. Don't try conform by calling it what it is not.

• HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member Uncommon

I love playing sports and watching sports.  I love playing games and watching games.  Watching a shout-casted game of League of Legends has all the same important qualities of watching a basketball/football game on TV.  

• HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    e-sport... I don't get it actually. But I still cringe when they claim the "World Series of Poker" to be a sport. Wikipedia has this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport, I tend to agree that "sport" should be some sort of physical activity. Not to say you could not have Pro-gaming circuts, that spectators could ans should watch. Am I forseeing scolarships to major universities for LoL players? doubtfull. Maybe some gamers with the tourch at the Olymipcs? I hope not. I am all about being a "pro-gamer", by that I mean one that makes a living at gaming, but it is not a sport. Maybe it is all semantics, but I think it should be. My wide angle lens on life sees all these "nerds" trying to get  relabled as "jocks" by calling what they do a sport. Do What Cha Like, and be proud of it. Don't try conform by calling it what it is not.

I think you had it right when you said your complaints are essentially bickering over semantics.  The term "e-sports" simply arose from professional gaming's obvious similarities to professional sports: the competition, teamwork, score keeping, criteria for victory, shoutcasting, fans, etc.   No pretentiousness involved.  In fact, I would argue the very term "electronic sports" would sound downright laughable to non "nerds" as you generalize the group.  It sounds just that way: nerdy.

FYI Revenge of the Nerds was a hyperbolic parody, not meant to represent actual reality :p  There isn't one uniform body of nerds who actualy seek to become another stereotyped body known as the jocks.  

• dllddlld GöteborgPosts: 565Member Uncommon

I watched a couple of starcraft 2 videos commented by TB when they where still on his main channel i think, it was pretty entertaining but it's not something I seek out to watch

• PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member

I watched some of the DOTA2 International tournament. It was interesting but I probably wouldn't do it again.