Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat is terrible, worse beyond Kingsmouth

Comments

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by 9reesracer9

Krytycal's raison d'être is to bash TSW combat. he's been doing it for weeks (going back into beta). he spends the time to make and post craftily edited videos on youtube, and then spends hours in these forums explaining to everyone how much it sucks, both in PvP and PvE. my god, man...why do you continue on with this? if you clearly hate it so much, go play something else until your beloved GW2 releases. 

some people like the idea of experimenting with builds to find the most effective combinations, not merely the most efficient in terms of button-mashing. 

does it matter so much to you that one person might be convinced not to play the game after you continue to bang this drum so loudly?  go troll somewhere else please. you've made your point, such as it is.

"raison d'être"

Ok i know you took that from the lighthouse author...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Its the mechanics and how it feels/looks. The skill wheel itself is pretty cool.

how it feels/looks is subjective I personally think it looks fine. People need to learn to quick swap sets between fights if not I could see myself not enjoying the system very much but with deck swapping which I have macroed to several keys I can swap sets at the touch of a button outside combat between fights and it's a lot of fun actually.  Now if they would just fix the damn gear managment.. the fact many have not even noticed gear manager is broken shows how few people are actually really doing the deck swapping stuff.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356
    Originally posted by ste2000

I respect people who like TSW combat.

But what I don't get is how difficult it is to understand that the reason why most people don't like TSW combat has nothing to do with the wrong choice of skill sets, but more about the whole mechanic of the system.

The combat system in TSW is very basic, I would say striped to the bone.

There is nothing exciting about.

You choose you skill set, you start spamming the same rotation all over and that's all.

Wanna see a grood combat system?............Just look at AoC, it might not be everyone cup of tea, but it was different, and personally I liked it.

And guess who made AoC?

Exactly, Funcom.

How they could get TSW combat so wrong when combat in AoC was probably the best part of the game is beyond my comprehension.

I guess this rappresent a metaphor for the whole MMO industry which is going backward rather than going forward.

I like AoC's combat, but it also got flamed specially about being too clicky and like playing Simon Says.  they went for a more traditional MMO combat for TSW, that however, it's mor dynamic (if you chose to be dynamic with it) than most MMOs.

TSW is not a particularily awesome one, but it is not bad, which is something that some people seem to be intent on demonstrating.

You'll never get an absolute consensus of what form of combat is "best" in an MMO.  FPS like? lot's of MMO players hate it.  AoC like? Lots of people hate it.  Tab Target static?  Cast while moving?  auto attacks, click for all single attack or effect?   lots' of people will hate... every single one of combat system.

Your very example demonstrates this, what some people consider good other consider horrible.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Krytycal's raison d'être is to bash TSW combat. he's been doing it for weeks (going back into beta). he spends the time to make and post craftily edited videos on youtube, and then spends hours in these forums explaining to everyone how much it sucks, both in PvP and PvE. my god, man...why do you continue on with this? if you clearly hate it so much, go play something else until your beloved GW2 releases. 

some people like the idea of experimenting with builds to find the most effective combinations, not merely the most efficient in terms of button-mashing. 

does it matter so much to you that one person might be convinced not to play the game after you continue to bang this drum so loudly?  go troll somewhere else please. you've made your point, such as it is.

Besides the fact that I don't believe he used outer tier abilities for mid range content because he wouldn't have them unlocked yet.  His refusal to acknowledge that tanks need to use hate/threat generation and interrupts astounds me.  Which in of itself would acknowledge that you need to hit more than 2 or 3 buttons. 

Right there is more than a two button spam fest.  But if you want to talk about spam fest - GW2 has an auto-attack, so the game does the spamming for you to begin with.

That's the point I think is the most laughable when those that are craddling the GW2 combat so much accuse TSW of being all about spam.  srsly.

Originally posted by BigRock411

"raison d'être"

Ok i know you took that from the lighthouse author...

I think Sam Krieg will give a pass on this one.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Its the mechanics and how it feels/looks. The skill wheel itself is pretty cool.

how it feels/looks is subjective I personally think it looks fine. People need to learn to quick swap sets between fights if not I could see myself not enjoying the system very much but with deck swapping which I have macroed to several keys I can swap sets at the touch of a button outside combat between fights and it's a lot of fun actually.  Now if they would just fix the damn gear managment.. the fact many have not even noticed gear manager is broken shows how few people are actually really doing the deck swapping stuff.

Ya, it kind of sucks that build swapping is so damn gear dependant. Its also a shame there seems to be no built in way of doing it which funcom should have tought about. I guess build swapping on the fly might add to the overall combat exp. Unfortunately I didn't try it in the beta as it doesn't seem to be something that funcom intedted to be done in the middle of combat.

Either way, the combat itself just doesnt feel right for me. And you are right that is very subjective.

Originally posted by jdnyc

Besides the fact that I don't believe he used outer tier abilities for mid range content because he wouldn't have them unlocked yet.  His refusal to acknowledge that tanks need to use hate/threat generation and interrupts astounds me.  Which in of itself would acknowledge that you need to hit more than 2 or 3 buttons. 

Right there is more than a two button spam fest.  But if you want to talk about spam fest - GW2 has an auto-attack, so the game does the spamming for you to begin with.

That's the point I think is the most laughable when those that are craddling the GW2 combat so much accuse TSW of being all about spam.  srsly.

That would indicate that he got away with boring himself by only using those skills by putting the load of work on whatever people grouped with him, as they needed to make sure not to steal aggro, debuff, interrupt and synergise trhu all of the encounters so he could have his 2 button spam fest to later comming here to complaint.

Ya, it kind of sucks that build swapping is so damn gear dependant. Its also a shame there seems to be no built in way of doing it which funcom should have tought about. I guess build swapping on the fly might add to the overall combat exp. Unfortunately I didn't try it in the beta as it doesn't seem to be something that funcom intedted to be done in the middle of combat.

Either way, the combat itself just doesnt feel right for me. And you are right that is very subjective.

You can't do it in the middle of combat, at all, you have to be out of combat to swap builds, gear or skills at all.

What he means is a fast way to change builds between combat, not while in it.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

And I don't believe you have actually read my posts. If you had you'd know that I don't use the same build (the one posted) for tanking, and that I use one very similar to the one video I linked. Obviously tanks need to use interrupts and taunts, along with defensive abilities, but guess what? These are all in 30 secs plus cooldowns so you'll not be using them very often. I also never said I only used 2-3 button. I use all 7 abilities, but 90% of combat of the time the same 2-3 keys. Just look at the video and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Here's the link again as it appears missed it:

the thing is how the system is setup and how enemies are spread throughout the zones it seems the gam WAS intended to play the deck dance game and swap decks constantly between fights... but for whatever reason they didn't finish the gear manager and it brings down the whole system. When it works it works well for instance I'm walking around questing I see a group of mobs in a pack I hit a button on my mouse it brings up my AOE deck and I take them out. Right after the fight i see a lone hard mob wandering around I swap to my high single target deck and take him out. While fighting him I took some damage so I push another button to my healing deck cast a heal and head on my way to the next group. I run into an elite type mob and swap to my tankish single target damage build to finish him off. You can do this sort of stuff constantly and have a lot of options to play around with which makes it a lot of fun.. most people don't even try setting up multiple decks and playing the deck dance game and just stick with one deck then complain the combat is dull and boring

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

the thing is how the system is setup and how enemies are spread throughout the zones it seems the gam WAS intended to play the deck dance game and swap decks constantly between fights... but for whatever reason they didn't finish the gear manager and it brings down the whole system. When it works it works well for instance I'm walking around questing I see a group of mobs in a pack I hit a button on my mouse it brings up my AOE deck and I take them out. Right after the fight i see a lone hard mob wandering around I swap to my high single target deck and take him out. While fighting him I took some damage so I push another button to my healing deck cast a heal and head on my way to the next group. I run into an elite type mob and swap to my tankish single target damage build to finish him off. You can do this sort of stuff constantly and have a lot of options to play around with which makes it a lot of fun.. most people don't even try setting up multiple decks and playing the deck dance game and just stick with one deck then complain the combat is dull and boring

Out of curiosity, can you change decks in PvP areas in between combat?

Originally posted by Gargola

You can't do it in the middle of combat, at all, you have to be out of combat to swap builds, gear or skills at all.

ohh I thought it was in combat...that makes build switching "on the fly" even less attractive.

I only have issues with gear manager after logging in, so i normally take  a couple minutes verifying my builds when starting my gaming session and then swap them with no issues for the rest of the sesion.  They need to fix that, tho.

One of the custom UI mods have a working gear manager, too.

On the pvP areas question: you can change gear/builds/skills as long as you are not in combat, there.

ohh I thought it was in combat...that makes build switching "on the fly" even less attractive.

TSW is more about planning out the fight before you engage.

Its still not the same. Mobs are really placed the same way in most MMOs. You could also argue you could do the same thing in other mmos, swapping stuff outside of combat. In TSW though its kind of a necessity because your selection is limited, still it would have probably been a lot more attractive if it was easily doable and inside of combat.

as soon as you kill an enemy you can swap decks so i do it in between fights works great.. similar to Rift but in TSW yuo can set /alias commands to anything you want and you can set gear swaps using /gearmanager so by doing this I can macro keys on my g700 mouse to swap decks for me anytime not in combat. Works really well actually and is a lot of fun

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by pierth

OP, I really wanted to take your post seriously, but then you had to say that your big complaint is with boring combat and you've gone back to LoTRO as if that's an improvement.

TL;DR- OP complains about combat in a MMO, then returns to another MMO with (arguably) worse combat.

Different tastes for different gamers, huh.  There are quite a few of us out there who aren't interested in action oriented combat.  I happen to be one of the ones who actually likes LOTRO combat specifically because it's slower and less harsh about making mistakes.  Just like EQ and EQ II combat.  WoW was the beginning of the MMO genre downfall in my opinion as it made gameplay much more arcadish with harsh penalties if you didn't use skills in the perfect order and in with perfect timing, leaving little to no room for errors or even thought.  For some reason developers seem to equate casual gameplay with console paradigms and it just plain sucks for a casual gamer such as myself.

Its still not the same. Mobs are really placed the same way in most MMOs. You could also argue you could do the same thing in other mmos, swapping stuff outside of combat. In TSW though its kind of a necessity because your selection is limited, still it would have probably been a lot more attractive if it was easily doable and inside of combat.

its a ton better than most MMOs where you are locked into the same role forever.. in this one I can see a group in trouble pop in my heal build and help them out then after we defeat those enemies i  join up with them and pop up my dps build and wreck some havok.. as I said a lot better than most MMOs

TSW is more about planning out the fight before you engage.

I agree, it seems like they built it around that idea.

I now do as Aerowyn states, changing builds from encounter to encounter depending on the enemies i'm about to face.  I usually had my main solo build (basically my main DPS one) but having builds for different purpose makes it all much fun and dynamic.

it is possible to go around just using the same build, yes, but it's like going to a restaurant, seing 20 different meals, all good, all enjoyable, all with their own "flavor" and spice, then always selecting the same, no matter what, over and over again.  If on top of that you then complaint about lack of variety, well... it's completely on you.

its a ton better than most MMOs where you are locked into the same role forever.. in this one I can see a group in trouble pop in my heal build and help them out then after we defeat those enemies i  join up with them and pop up my dps build and wreck some havok.. as I said a lot better than most MMOs

Is it not the same as Rift?

• DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100

Does anyone have a buddy pass that can share with me please? :)

Originally posted by Dragviper

Does anyone have a buddy pass that can share with me please? :)

lol image

Is it not the same as Rift?

its similar but Rift still had classes.. I loved Rift just for the fact you weren't locked into a role but still limited to the class. Either way I feel any game that allows freedom to choose roles and pick what you want to be at any given time instead of locking you into a single role like other games is leaps better in my book.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

The taunt, you use once in a fight and if the fight lasts 30 hours you can do well with a two button rotation after. If one weapon is swords, even better.

The second part doesn't hold, GW2 spent much more effort polishing the game and even more so on combat.  Even with limited skills. The skills present play differently within a single class then two opposite builds in TSW.  I can't think of a single MMO with such underwhelming skills, even the (Elite) abilities are just basic CC. Read any review, the combat was put on blast in TSW and I would think the two button spam combat would be one of the reasons, another would be weak abilities all around. 

Here is why GW2 combat is better, better defined skills and more strategy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO6tyJ8oG6E