Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who watches e-sports? POLL

MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Missing an option of      "huh? what is this?... I don't even..."

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Tried to watch, but didn't hold my interest at all. Not a big sports watcher IRL either tho, since I only watch hockey, rugby and cycling, so that might be a reason also.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

it bores the hell out of me... I like playing games not watching them..

Not a big sports fan really.. well other than Rugby but watching RL sport can at least be exciting LOL

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Quite frequently yes. Good e-sport games and great casters make following it very easy even if you haven't played the game yourself. I watch League of Legends, Starcraft 2, FPS tournaments every now and again and most recently Street Fighter. We gather in mumble to watch streams together with friends.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I'd rather watch golf than 'e-sports'. To me the whole concept is a joke.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"it bores the hell out of me... I like playing games not watching them.."

Agreed.  My enjoyment in games is all about play.  There just seems to be a lot better things to do in life that watch others playing a game.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I never really cared for E-Sports. I wouldn't mind watching them though if it was something I was genuinely interested in. I like to watch my friends play videogames sometimes. I'm just not really that competitive myself.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    [...] There just seems to be a lot better things to do in life that watch others playing a game.

Tell that to the millions of sports fans in the world.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    [...] There just seems to be a lot better things to do in life that watch others playing a game.

Tell that to the millions of sports fans in the world.

Golf is boring to watch, fun to play (in a video game or RL)

Baseball is boring to watch, boring to play (video game or otherwise)

American Footbal is fun to watch, and too dangerous to play outside of a videogame.

~Won't get into boxing or UFC, but I will say that shit's fun as hell to watch.

This only speaks for myself, though... but I like to think that the more painful it is to put to practice, the more fun it is to sit back and watch others hurt themselves with.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

I love watching any competitive sport  .. i dont see much difference between on field sports and electronic sports ... both require elite skill levels, practise and hard work ... being a big sport fan and a long time gamer i took to e sports like fish to water ... Cant wait to see where E sports leads to in the future ... My favs are Dota/Lol/ and everyones fav as well SC :)

Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Golf is boring to watch, fun to play (in a video game or RL)

Baseball is boring to watch, boring to play (video game or otherwise)

American Footbal is fun to watch, and too dangerous to play outside of a videogame.

~Won't get into boxing or UFC, but I will say that shit's fun as hell to watch.

This only speaks for myself, though... but I like to think that the more painful it is to put to practice, the more fun it is to sit back and watch others hurt themselves with.

I rate games in much the same way.

Soccer is boring to watch, fun to play.

Hockey is fun to watch, and fun to play.

But to each their own: Soccer is a lot more popular than hockey is.

I don't play Starcraft 2 because it would take me a year to hone my execution to an acceptable level, but I like to watch it nevertheless.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

The only E-sports I watch is LoL tournaments, I watch it, keep it running in the BG when im working ect ect.

Love it :)

• As someone said, I'd rather play games than watch them. I love to play chess but I'm completely incapable of watching others play it for longer than two seconds.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I like watching fighting game tournaments. Some of those are pretty amazing. I also like to watch pinball tournaments. And I enjoy watching speed run videos of people beating games at crazy fast speeds and perfect timing.

But mobas and mmos? Id rather watch paint dry.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

This is where e-sport thrives. MMOS? no

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I am not a sports fan.  I think they are pretty much overpaid neanderthals.  As far as E-sports go I would rather watch paint dry.

• dominiadominia Member Posts: 191

All the time, only Starcraft 2.

Currently Playing: GW2
    Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Foomerang

This is where e-sport thrives. MMOS? no

I imagined watching whole tournament or even just 10 highest ranked fights.

I would die of boredom.  Don't really get all this excitement. Not interesting for me.

To each their own though.

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

StarCraft 2  can have some epic games -

I like watching the top players, they get big money for winning.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I watch some of the tourny's on twitch. I've been to WCG before when it was in Seattle, but other than that I haven't really had many of them pop up on my screen so I have no idea they are going on. Apparently a lot of people get into them though, seeing as the SC2 tournament was going on on twitch and had 22 thousand people watching it. I mean thats quite a few for a video game match.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

e-sport...

I don't get it actually. But I still cringe when they claim the "World Series of Poker" to be a sport.

Wikipedia has this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport, I tend to agree that "sport" should be some sort of physical activity. Not to say you could not have Pro-gaming circuts, that spectators could ans should watch.

Am I forseeing scolarships to major universities for LoL players? doubtfull. Maybe some gamers with the tourch at the Olymipcs? I hope not.

I am all about being a "pro-gamer", by that I mean one that makes a living at gaming, but it is not a sport. Maybe it is all semantics, but I think it should be.

My wide angle lens on life sees all these "nerds" trying to get  relabled as "jocks" by calling what they do a sport.

Do What Cha Like, and be proud of it. Don't try conform by calling it what it is not.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I love playing sports and watching sports.  I love playing games and watching games.  Watching a shout-casted game of League of Legends has all the same important qualities of watching a basketball/football game on TV.  

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Four0Six

e-sport...

I don't get it actually. But I still cringe when they claim the "World Series of Poker" to be a sport.

Wikipedia has this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport, I tend to agree that "sport" should be some sort of physical activity. Not to say you could not have Pro-gaming circuts, that spectators could ans should watch.

Am I forseeing scolarships to major universities for LoL players? doubtfull. Maybe some gamers with the tourch at the Olymipcs? I hope not.

I am all about being a "pro-gamer", by that I mean one that makes a living at gaming, but it is not a sport. Maybe it is all semantics, but I think it should be.

My wide angle lens on life sees all these "nerds" trying to get  relabled as "jocks" by calling what they do a sport.

Do What Cha Like, and be proud of it. Don't try conform by calling it what it is not.

I think you had it right when you said your complaints are essentially bickering over semantics.  The term "e-sports" simply arose from professional gaming's obvious similarities to professional sports: the competition, teamwork, score keeping, criteria for victory, shoutcasting, fans, etc.   No pretentiousness involved.  In fact, I would argue the very term "electronic sports" would sound downright laughable to non "nerds" as you generalize the group.  It sounds just that way: nerdy.

FYI Revenge of the Nerds was a hyperbolic parody, not meant to represent actual reality :p  There isn't one uniform body of nerds who actualy seek to become another stereotyped body known as the jocks.  

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I watched a couple of starcraft 2 videos commented by TB when they where still on his main channel i think, it was pretty entertaining but it's not something I seek out to watch

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I watched some of the DOTA2 International tournament. It was interesting but I probably wouldn't do it again.