Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I play SWTOR and why I will stay to end as I did SWG.

SWG

First  I'm a really big Star Wars fan and I played SWG for six of the eight years. I stopped playing right after the NGE hit and came back after they started fixing it.

My favorite SWG feature or addon was the Hoth operation for both sides I played that one many many times. I also had a real Jedi I unlocked with Bio Eng.  You had to be careful 3 deaths and your Jedi was poof I had 2 deaths before they changed it.

Crafting and Harvesting helped me amass 3.4 Billion credits so yea I had the best stuff I could buy it. It was my first MMO and I never thought I would play that for six years but I did. rest in peace SWG. 

*** Bought a City to run for a measley 100 million credits.

SWTOR

My son asked me to play SWTOR with him and convinced me to create avatars on a pvp server. I  was on Anchorhead now I'm on Prophecy of the Five . I never really like WoW pvp that much. So SWTOR pvp caught me by suprise how fun it was to play those war zones. I have become a big fan of it. World PvP well I do very well at it winning about 65% of my encounters I atribute this to fighting in warzones.

Positives about SWTOR:

1. I love the stories "HINT" don't start more than one at time you will enjoy it more.

2. There is plenty to do in this game. PVP, Class stories, Crafting, Flashpoints, Operations, World PvP, Quests with a story behind it.

3. Since they fixed the graphics they look awesome now so much better.

4. Making super servers was a great move by Bioware I lost about half of the names I created for my Avatars but I'm am happy with the new names I came up with. There are at least a 80 -100 people in each zone and some zones have two instances. I'm always able to group to do those planet H4's and H2's.

5. They have removed a lot of lag from the fleet.

6. They have made the Galatic Trade open to both sides now and there is always stuff to buy and I sell about 90% of the items I put up for sale now.

7. We now have Grouping tool for Flash Points and Operations which works real good.

8. New content is coming in 1.4 going to be good!!!

9. This Game is what 7 months old now I can see it only getting better and better as they add more content.

Lord Ricker Dark Lord of the Sith

Ajax

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by ajax7

I'm a really big Star Wars fan 

Could have left it there ;)

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I enjoyed my time with SWTOR, although PvP was not my favorite, although I can see how playing it with your son would make it enjoyable. Yea I loved the individual story lines, as a casual player it took me awhile to get up to top level, so it was fun to alt.  Swtor has the best story line of all the MMO's and to me that counts!  I would always try to avoid groups in other mmo's but found small groups enjoyable here especially with the social points. I am looking forward to playing GW2 as GW1 was one of my favs,  but I will come back to SWTOR,  and look forward to the improvements

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I'll leave it there and hope others will leave it there too.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

My initial run through of TOR was undoughtedly fun second and third alt the appeal turned to bordom and a strong desire to no longer play the game. The PVP I never saw as a strong suit even though others spoke of it so highly. I felt the PVP didn't flow well and with nearly every class having the ability to cc it got ridiculous at times. In all honesty I'm glad that you enjoy the game OP but unfortunately I'll take my business else where.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    [mod edit]

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    [mod edit]

I think they're just lonely and hoping to get someone ot join after the mergers started.

I'd do the same.

a yo ho ho

[mod edit]

or you could just say "glad you enjoyed the game, here are the reasons I enjoyed or did not enjoy the game" 

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

To me SWTOR is boring to its core. I had very little fun running my first charcter through and when faced with the prospect of runnign an alt it was a very easy decision to quit. The quests are mind numbingly boring. How anyone can play this for more then 2 weeks is beyond me.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• TalonsWingTalonsWing Member Posts: 33

The game is going to slowly fade from popular view like AoC et al.  Bringing a droid into play from the popular single player game KOTOR will not bring back players.  It really is just something to do for those diehards that will basically stick with the game no matter what.

Can you imagine resubscribing for a time sink to get another companion to sit around the space station with you>

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I won't bad mouth it much anymore. I had fun on my inquisitor. he had a awesome story and the ending was the kind that gave you chills like a movie that has the same effect on you. but it was after i hit 50 is when all my years of dealing with these type of games and devs came flooding back.

I sat there in fleet thinking.."i'm going to be doing this same activity on my alts, and in the long run the game has nothing to hold my interest"

So i decided to unsub and never return again.I won't go into the many many reason why. you have to play to 50 and a couple more maybe before you understand why countless people have left and are leaving. it's not really a game developed for true starwars fans. it's a sad attempt at a starwars MMO just like the one before it.

I Have said enough i'm off. good luck OP you will see why you just have to keep playing a few months.

Peace

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

SWG

First  I'm a really big Star Wars fan and I played SWG for six of the eight years. I stopped playing right after the NGE hit and came back after they started fixing it.

My favorite SWG feature or addon was the Hoth operation for both sides I played that one many many times. I also had a real Jedi I unlocked with Bio Eng.  You had to be careful 3 deaths and your Jedi was poof I had 2 deaths before they changed it.

Crafting and Harvesting helped me amass 3.4 Billion credits so yea I had the best stuff I could buy it. It was my first MMO and I never thought I would play that for six years but I did. rest in peace SWG. 

My favorite time in SWG was before the NGE. I loved messing around with different builds for my bounty hunter. We had an awesome guild leader who designed our city outside of Bestine on Corbantis and we did weekly role playing events. The game had many flaws, but I looked pass many of them because I was living in the world of the movies I grew up with. 

SWTOR

My son asked me to play SWTOR with him and convinced me to create avatars on a pvp server. I  was on Anchorhead now I'm on Prophecy of the Five . I never really like WoW pvp that much. So SWTOR pvp caught me by suprise how fun it was to play those war zones. I have become a big fan of it. World PvP well I do very well at it winning about 65% of my encounters I atribute this to fighting in warzones.

Positives about SWTOR:

1. I love the stories "HINT" don't start more than one at time you will enjoy it more.

2. There is plenty to do in this game. PVP, Class stories, Crafting, Flashpoints, Operations, World PvP, Quests with a story behind it.

4. Making super servers was a great move by Bioware I lost about half of the names I created for my Avatars but I'm am happy with the new names I came up with. There are at least a 80 -100 people in each zone and some zones have two instances. I'm always able to group to do those planet H4's and H2's.

6. They have made the Galatic Trade open to both sides now and there is always stuff to buy and I sell about 90% of the items I put up for sale now.

7. We now have Grouping tool for Flash Points and Operations which works real good.

9. This Game is what 7 months old now I can see it only getting better and better as they add more content.

I enjoyed TOR a lot myself and look forward to coming back when they add more content to the main storylines. The only problems  I had was that gear grinding just isn't my thing and the best suff can be aquired in game so there really isn't much need for crafted items. I also didn't like the way the classes were shoehorned and so cookie cutter. The game also needs more dynamic events and they need to fix Ilum or make somehting with capture and control points for players that like PVP because warzones get old. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well sounds like you found the right game for you OP, and sticking with it, especially since you're a fan of the IP makes perfect sense.

See, the thing is, many of the gameplay mechanics you enjoy in the game are not something I'm personally looking for, so I moved on after a 3 month run.

Sure, I had some fun, but long term its just not what I'm looking for in a MMORPG (think more realistic,virtual worlds, much like SWG was prior to the NGE and you'll be on the right track.

BTW, you probably would have really enjoyed WOW, there's a lot of similarities between the two titles in terms of their general design, recommend you give it a shot if you haven't already.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

SWG

SWTOR

Positives about SWTOR:

1) I assume you mean the story tidbits you get while doing a massive zone load or while in your quest log.  Yes the story "hints" were nice.

2) Plenty of things to do in the game if you are an altaholic I guess.  I'd rather play just one character, and NO there was not a lot to do in game.  It all revolved around the same principles of questing and/or instanced PVE/PVP on linear maps.  All the stuff on the wall of crazy would have made the game great but those were not implemented because it would be risky (and deviate too far from WoW).

3) Screenshots for comparison? 1.2 was supposed to look awesome and it did not.  I do not belive comments like this any longer.

4) They are not super servers .. they are individual original servers with more people.. There was supposed to be 200 "super" servers, but now there is 26.  Just having a couple thousand players on a server does not qualify as "super".. If you can provide proof that the hardware was upgraded, I'll call them super too .. but we both know they are not.

5) Less lag is good /agree.  It's mainly the inefficient game client that causes lag, and this should have been eliminated before the game released, honestly.

6) GTN has a sub-sub-sub standard interface.  If the game is copying WoW, why couldn't EA/BioWare at least copy the good stuff that Blizzard did?

7) Graatz for grouping.  People have been social in grouping without a group finder for the last 13 years, since EQ.

8) Oh sure 1.4 is going to be "good!!!!" .. and so was 1.3 and 1.2 .. and so will 1.6 .. tell me WHY it will be good, because more PVE / PVP with in-between linear questing isn't my idea of really good.  What about mini-games .. something else besides slaughtering 100 of this race and 100 of this race.  Lordy almighty, something besides a clone MMORPG experience?

9) Subjective, nothing provided has led to believe the game has become more healthy.  Content was added, but really for end gamers, it's a couple flashpoints, and 1 PVP map .. lulzwut?  I played many Star Wars games in the past, on PC and consoles, and I like to talk about those games to friends, because they all had new elements to them, new angles.  I'd love to talk the same about TOR but it doesn't have anything that other games don't already have (except massive voice overs) .... MOVRPG? Multiplayer Online Voice Role Playing Game...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I played TOR for about 6 months and I enjoyed it the entire time.  Currently taking a break from it at the moment to try out other games.

I plan on going back to TOR after I finish my rounds.  Its funny, because after playing the current round of MMOs that just launched (TOR, Tera, TSW, GW2 BWEs), I've come to realize there really isn't much that separates these games any more.  I'm not saying that in a bad way, it's just that all these games are really different flavors of the same dish.  Sure, some have better graphics, some better stories, some better atmosphere, some better guild PVP, but in the end all these differences are relatively  minor.

I liked aspects of all these games, but the one the that I personally liked the best happens to be TOR,  Why?   Maybe because I'm a SW fan, maybe I like the polish of  the game, the story, etc.

What MMO a person is going to stick with in the end is as dependent on the individual's personality and friends as much as anything else.   I see a lot of MMO players scrambling from game to game (myself included at times) looking for that new game that breaks the genre, but in the end, I don't think there really will be one.  The MMORPG genre has defined itself.  This is it.  If you are looking for something else, chances are you're looking for something that hasn't evolved yet.

I started playing MMOs with Ultima Online.  Nothing will ever hold a candle to that game for me.  Part of it is because it was that first step into a new genre.  Almost like a child seeing his first blockbuster movie.  I've come to peace with that.  I no longer want to trash other games because of chasing the uncatchable.

I think those days of playing MMOs for years on end are over (at least, for us veterans).  There's room enough for all these games.  When I grow sick again of TOR, maybe I'll give DCUO another shot, who knows.

May all those whom enjoy TOR, or any other MMO for that matter, do so without shame.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

The ironic thing about your post is that if you really loved the Star Wars Universe you wouldn't be giving Bioware and LA your money for this train wreck of a game.

The Star Wars IP deserves much more than this bland, lifeless, game will ever aspire to become.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by ktanner3

SWG

My favorite time in SWG was before the NGE. I loved messing around with different builds for my bounty hunter. We had an awesome guild leader who designed our city outside of Bestine on Corbantis and we did weekly role playing events. The game had many flaws, but I looked pass many of them because I was living in the world of the movies I grew up with. 

SWTOR

Positives about SWTOR:

I enjoyed TOR a lot myself and look forward to coming back when they add more content to the main storylines. The only problems  I had was that gear grinding just isn't my thing and the best suff can be aquired in game so there really isn't much need for crafted items. I also didn't like the way the classes were shoehorned and so cookie cutter. The game also needs more dynamic events and they need to fix Ilum or make somehting with capture and control points for players that like PVP because warzones get old. 

I don't understand posts like the last one in red.  People like the game but don't like anything about it.  To me it screams of "well it's Star Wars!"

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well sounds like you found the right game for you OP, and sticking with it, especially since you're a fan of the IP makes perfect sense.

See, the thing is, many of the gameplay mechanics you enjoy in the game are not something I'm personally looking for, so I moved on after a 3 month run.

Sure, I had some fun, but long term its just not what I'm looking for in a MMORPG (think more realistic,virtual worlds, much like SWG was prior to the NGE and you'll be on the right track.

BTW, you probably would have really enjoyed WOW, there's a lot of similarities between the two titles in terms of their general design, recommend you give it a shot if you haven't already.

there are many games with similarities to WOW, I thought SWTOR had much better story lines , better cut scenes, voice overs than wow, SWTOR is a story game , wow is a grinding game

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by darwa

I'm a really big Star Wars fan 

Could have left it there ;)

Yup pretty much this.  SWTOR doesnt have near enough content for an MMO.  IMO Bioware would of been better off and made more $$$ releasing this is a single player RPG.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I don't understand posts like the last one in red.  People like the game but don't like anything about it.  To me it screams of "well it's Star Wars!"

There was things I liked about the game and things I think could use improvement.  What's so hard to understand about that? 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

They fixed the graphics? First I have heard of this...What did they do? Was gonna ask about the population but you kinda hit on that within your OP. Superservers? Please enlighten? Was actually enjoying the game but a friend bought me TERA for building him a new PC and been playing that ever since for some reason. Liked TERA so much I canceled SW-TOR subscription about 2 months into it Hit lvl 26 on my main(Assasin). Really loving TERA and never thought I would actually. Loving it so much I am not even looking forwards to TSW or GW2 anymore... Go figure...

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

EA/Bioware treated Star Wars just like Lucas did with his new trilogy.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

I actually loved the pvp part of the game and I have never been that much of a pvper, I hated it in WoW. What made me leave Tor was that despite all the planets you could visit, I felt so incredibly "boxed in". For example Coruscant alone is supposed to be a huge planet, yet you couldnt explore or anything and the same goes for all the other planets. This was a HUGE issue for me.

I felt that it was a waste to make all these planets available if the zones were so small you couldn't explore. I can only refer to Anarchy Online again (I have done this so many times before). Anarchy Online, 1 huge planet, tons to explore and it felt so much grander than Tor in terms of scale.  

(edit: The sense of scale is just what GW2 provides, needless to say this is one of the most important things for me in an MMO)

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The game is good for the short ride it was but the fundamental design flaws can not be fixed, its that simple and the game will struggle along for the rest of its life.
    If you like that sort of struggle you will be entertained and if not it bores the hell out of you forever.
    Simply find out to what group you belong and dont waste time to convince yourself...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am a big SW fan as well but did not like this game at all. Maybe because I love the original SW trilogy and hate the later one and this game feels much more like that one. Simplistic, almost childish or atleast geared towards the mid teens.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

My son asked me to play SWTOR with him ...

Haha! I'm a dad, too, so I understand. I don't care what game it is, if my son wanted to play it with me, I would do it and enjoy it.

That's good enough for me.