Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 best MMORPGs

nikos0000nikos0000 Member Posts: 11

Dragon Nest

Aion

DC universe

Guild wars 2

Wow

I think these mmorpgs is some of the best

Comments

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

If you're looking for pure, personal opinion -

Dungeons & Dragons Online

Everquest 1

Lord of the Rings Online

City of Heros/Villains

Ultima Online

If we are to look towards less subjective criteria for the "Top 5," then i'm fairly certain my list may have one or two ( EQ and UO) and your own list only one (WoW, seeing as GW2 is yet to hit the market officially) that would actually make the cut.

• nikos0000nikos0000 Member Posts: 11

everquest and uo was some of the best. Now they are not.What  is your about now.

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

Asheron's Call

World of Warcraft

EQ2

LOTRO

GW2   ((yes even though unreleased at the present moment it's going to be that dang good))

Compiling this list I realized that each are fantasy based MMO's

Sorry I missed the early days of Sony's SW Galaxies, it sounded like a great title in the early going.

Sorrowful that I tried SWTOR ((was gone within 30 days))

Two others of note

Rift  -  Did many things right

Vanguard  -  Oh what it could of been if everyone had been paying attention to the details.

• CrowkillCrowkill Member Posts: 8

DAoC

UO

Everquest 1

Lotro

GW2

if it's a list of all time i'm pretty sure DAoC and UO would be in the top 5.

• Zguy114Zguy114 Member Posts: 3

1st off. No way does WoW make it. sorry but just becuz it made a lot of money & young kids popped there cherry on it DOES NOT make it a great game.

1. EQ

2. EQ2

3. D&DO

4. lotro

5. Rift

AoC, Terra Nova & vanguard if there was a community is still a great game.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    1: Ultima Online
    2: EverQuest / EverQuest 2
    2.5: Dark Age of Camelot
    3: EVE Online
    4: World of Warcraft
    5: Guild Wars / Guild Wars 2

Though UO is not technically the first mmorpg (as we know them today), I believe it's fair to say that UO shaped the mmo format early in its infancy and popularized the genre, thus ushering in a new age of gaming known as the mmorpg.

I guess you could say the EverQuest franchise (which is why I included EQ & EQ2) was the first "wow" of the mmo genre. If UO popularized mmorpgs, EQ (and later EQ2) dominated the scene as the most popular of all mmos, until WOW entered the scene.

I couldn't just leave DAOC out of the list. DAOC, though no longer with us today (though in spirit through GW2), I believe was way ahead of its time. I believe DAOC was the only 3 faction based mmorpg in the market in a time when all other games had only 2 factions. DAOC had some of the most creative and innovative game play in the industry.

EVE Online is still to this day the only truly successful sci-fi mmorpg. As far as I'm aware, I believe it is the oldest running mmorpg in the market, well deserving a spot in the top 5 mmorpgs of all time.

WOW is... well, WOW is WOW and anyone who knows mmorpgs knows WOW. Since early on after release, WOW has dominated the mmorpg genre, crushing any and all competitors (in regards to sub numbers). Though I believe WOW's reign is slowly waning, and whether or not you agreed and/or liked/hated the game play, WOW has certainly earned itself a spot in any list considering the best and greatest mmorpgs of all time.

Arenanet's Guild Wars franchise (to include GW2) I believe fits a similar role to that of DAOC. Neither DAOC or GW1 enjoyed the sub numbers that WOW has enjoyed for so many years; however, both games did enjoy a very strong and dedicated fan base. GW1, much like DAOC was very much its own game and it's still up for debate as to whether GW1 should even be included in the mmorpg genre. From day one GW1 had a unique game play and demonstrated that quality mmorpgs did not always require monthly subs. GW2, though not yet released, embodies the same spirit that made GW1 such a great game. Many people have compared GW2 to DAOC and some have even called it its worthy successor. Though I was hesitant to include a game that has yet to be released (GW2), in today's mmorpg market, it's almost impossible to ignore the mammoth that is at our doorstep and that if predictions are true, will transform the mmo genre much like WOW did when it arrived.

Obviously all of this is my opinion, I was trying to be fair and unbiased.
  • DreddeDredde Member Posts: 28

Heres my list:

TSW

DCuo (on PS3 not PC)

WoW

lotro

Rift

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Best of All-Time:

Anarchy Online

EVE

SWG

EQ2

LoTRO

~~~~~~~~~~

Best of the last 5 years:

Tabula Rasa

Age of Conan

The Secret World

Rift 

Fallen Earth

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• nikos0000nikos0000 Member Posts: 11

Which Free to play mmos you think is the best i believe is:

DCUO

Aion

Dragon nest

EQ2

This discussion has been closed.