Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An 8.75 really?

GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Now I don't get how people rate thier games, I guess they could give everything except gameplay a 10 for this game, and give gameplay a 0, but oh well.  I've noticed there's a sharp drop off in all the other MMOs as well.  Did everyone just give this game a 10 except gameplay, then went and changed thier other ratings on past ratings.  I don't see how you can give an MMO a 8.75 with such a boring combat system.  Combat is one of the primary things you do in an MMO.  Now, I can see giving graphics a 9 or 10, sound a 10, etc. but with combat the way it is (and the animations /puke) there's no way this is an 8.75.   And stop dropping other game's ratings for this one.  Just because you're not playing another game doesn't mean it got any worse...

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Look at SWTOR's reviews... nough said

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

I have been playing this game for months. Early closed beta tester. And have never had any issues or problems with "combat" or "animations". For a mmo, they both look/work just fine with the game play. Not a detour at all. I have other gripes, but these are certainly not them.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80

What, you have a beef with the game and you're upset people aren't agreeing with you?

TSW has the best questing of any MMO currently on the market, and it's easily equal to GW2. I should know, I have 40 hours played in TSW and have played in all GW2 BWEs and stress tests. GW2 is great in some areas, and TSW is great in some areas.

Combat? Really? Other than TERA, which has excellent combat and crap everything else, what game does combat better? Please, for the sake of your own credibility, don't say WoW...

I'm sorry you disagree, but to me this game is fun. Isn't that why we play games in the first place, to have fun? Why shouldn't people give TSW high ratings if they like it and are having fun?

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Gravarg
    Now I don't get how people rate thier games, I guess they could give everything except gameplay a 10 for this game, and give gameplay a 0, but oh well.  I've noticed there's a sharp drop off in all the other MMOs as well.  Did everyone just give this game a 10 except gameplay, then went and changed thier other ratings on past ratings.  I don't see how you can give an MMO a 8.75 with such a boring combat system.  Combat is one of the primary things you do in an MMO.  Now, I can see giving graphics a 9 or 10, sound a 10, etc. but with combat the way it is (and the animations /puke) there's no way this is an 8.75.   And stop dropping other game's ratings for this one.  Just because you're not playing another game doesn't mean it got any worse...

While you often spend much time in combat it is not the sole purpose, not even the main purpose to play mmorpgs.
    The combat is functional and the game a huge fun so i give it a high rating.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

This is something I don't understand either. There are a lot of MMO's out there and all have good this and bad that. I will have to say it's been a very long time sense I've been excited in combat, up until TSW. AOC was different and ok, WOW was smooth and polished but I'm done with "Candy Land" MMO's so thats out. Which MMO out there has better combat than TSW? Tera did good too in changing it up some but the distance limitations is what killed it for me. I've been in beta or played them all and would really like some example of "better" combat.

Peace

Lascer

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

posting incredulity over people's opinions that differ from yours shows a lack of openmindedness. Continuing to do so will cause people to speculate that you are either insane or posess a sub-norm intellect.

A better post would have been; "Wow, a lot of people seem to rate this game higher than I would! In my opinion it is not that good and here are the reasons why.....".

I hope I was helpful as I am sure you want to express your opinion in a prolific way here and don't want to be misconstrued as trolling. Good luck to you!

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

@ Gravark

You're showing burnout syndromes. Maybe  time out from gaming could help you refresh your inner peace. 

I mean 30yrs gaming according to your sig ...thats a shit ton and its unavoidable that you get bored  with pc gaming in general

just my 2 cents

dont take it personal

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I easily give this game a 9. If not for the bugs I would give it a 10. The quests are amazing, I also really enjoy the combat and the freedom I have to switch between builds. I have 5 builds I switch between. I really love this game and it has been a long time since I said that about a new game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, I find the combat decent enough in TSW and the skill wheel still facinates me as I try to figure out the correct synergies.

I think one issue is that from a pure DPS standpoint, one doesn't have to be particularly careful in how they create their builds, but when you decide to specialize in tanking, support or healing, that's when it becomes more necessary to run with the right build at the right time.

Since many players stick with a DPS bent, especially in their early play time they might be missing some of the subtlety that the combat system actually has.

Sometimes it's important to bring the "right" support skills or the encounter will go much harder for everyone.

But back to the OP, despite liking the game so far, I'd place it firmly in the 7.0 - 7.5 range for a variety of reasons.

But realize, in my grading system there's never been a 9.0 yet, so TSW is doing just fine for a recently launched title.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

As much as I like the game, have been playing it pretty heavily, it does have a lot of issues with combat and mechanics that aren't really mentioned. I have never been stuck so many times in a game and I don't mean can't figure it out I mean my character stuck from trying to jump up rock faces etc. Enemies hit you from so far away sometimes, two stories below, even though they are just standing there with three little red tear drop thingy's above there head. Many enemies having no contact still hit you. I dodge golems rocks only for them to curve and still hit me, these guys should be pitching in the majors. I shoot enemies that have not taken a step and they get evade while my actual dodges don't get me out of damage. Using the shotty every animations is used for like three different attacks making them feel a bit redundant. There are a lot of issues that I feel bring the game down. All that said whats good is really good. I have gotten used to the issues I've stated and just enjoy the game for what it is. I hope funcom are succesful with this game as to open the doors for more variety in the genre in terms of theme and surroundings. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I don't see how you can give an MMO a 8.75 with such a boring combat system.  

To help qualify your statement, can you please let us know the degree of your experience with the TSW combat system?  For example, what is the most difficult dungeon encounter that you have defeated in TSW?  

The reason i ask is just to ensure that you've actually played the game and experienced some of the better combat mechanics it offers - which you haven't unless you've played through at least the 2nd dungeon.    

I'm not a huge fan of TSW's combat (or any game with f***ing GCD), but I have to admit that many of the dungeon encounters are some of the best combat I've ever been part of in ANY mmo.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I saw a post by the OP in another thread and it shows that he has not played this game nor has any understanding of it. See below where he refers to level 18(as far as he made it) and consider the fact that the game has no levels and even the equipment tiers could not explain this outright lie. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he is clearly just a lying troll.

POSTED BY GRAVARG

"This is the only reason I didn't even buy this game.  MMOs are centered around combat and fighting your way through the levels.  So combat has be to good for an MMO to be good.  This game has some of the worst combat I've ever seen.  The Decks and skill wheel is just plain complicated, and could've been the same but so much better organized and simpler (layout wise).  I played the beta, and I just found myself mashing 111111111111211111111111121111111112 the entire time.  The animations for such a great looking game are also horrible.  They're more scary than the zombies and draugr lol, (which are the same monster you fight from level 1 to who knows whatever level (at least 18, that I know of), they all have the same moves and act almost the same).  This game, like AoC, has potential, but the combat is just plain horrible and holding it back."

post located here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356266/page/11

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I won't comment on the actual numbers, but as far as the other games falling, there is a simple explanation.  The system they use is weighted, so if one game gets a very high score the rest decrease even if they haven't actually changed.  Meaning that when a newly released game gets good initial reviews from the fans, the rest of the games will drop even if no scores were cast for them.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I never get threads like this, if that's what a person feels the game deserves that's what they feel it deserves; end of story.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Distopia

I never get threads like this, if that's what a person feels the game deserves that's what they feel it deserves; end of story.

But you can't feel that it deserves it if I don't feel it is deserving.

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I agree 8.75 is way too high for this game.....The combat is a major issue....It never felt right or looked right......THe quests are OK but not the greatest thing ever like some are trying to make it out to be......ITs an OK game for a niche audience...... I was bored of it in less than week and that was in closed beta where it was free....No way I'd pay for this.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

If they wouldn't shell out such high ratings in the first place, the other games wouldn't have to be adjusted so much.

Ironically, giving such high ratings somewhat reflects current games. If you give a game 10/10, whether in total or in some category, it means there can be nothing that is better in this. Not today, not tomorrow, not in a thousand years. Which perfectly reflects the stale state the gaming industry, especially the MMO part (with small exceptions, like TSW, even if only a little, and Guild Wars 2 way more, but while i like it, i also recognize it's an evolution, not a revolution).

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• DreddeDredde Member Posts: 28

Only 8,75? Redicilous. This is an 9,75 game atleast.

• nGumbeinGumbei Member Posts: 33

I don´t really agree with ur statements, however TSW hasn´t really been a game that was reviewed as a 8.75 by the big reviewing sites. The game is great and I really love it however, 7-8 is just great for it. TSW-fans may shout at me right now but in just few days, the biggest gaming sites like IGN will provide us with their reviews and u will see that TSW is somewhere there.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

TSW is not really my kind of game mostly due to the setting, not that fond of zombies and that kind of stuff in our world but 8.75 is an accurate rate, liked the combat, liked the challenge of the game, liked the puzzles ect ( I was in beta didn't bough the game)

If this game was in a fantasy setting I would rate it 9.5.

I might try it again if some friends of mine wanna join me then i might bypass the world setting issues I have.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

@ OP...If you don't like it (or didn't try it) stop trolling here...

The game is refreshing and for me it's a 9 for sure.....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

I took a look at the games you play.

Rift : 8.7

Guild wars 8.6

guild wars factions 7.6

guild wars nightfall : 7.3

daoc : 7.5

Games you want to play :

Guild wars 2 : 8.79 Granted the game isnt out but still.

SwToR : 8.7

Might want to think about that first.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

WoW has better combat.  Better effects and animations...

Yes, sad I know.  And feel free to flame, but there were 20 million other people who agree with me, and multiple million who still do.  Feel free to be on your WoW hate wagon with your 10 friends, cause a huge majority of the MMO community thinks wow is still the best thing out there.

I barely made it to the 2nd area in TSW, the combat is boring, the skills you unlock are bad and thats what 90% of the game seems to be about, unlocking more skills.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Painlezz

WoW has better combat.  Better effects and animations...

Yes, sad I know.  And feel free to flame, but there were 20 million other people who agree with me, and multiple million who still do.  Feel free to be on your WoW hate wagon with your 10 friends, cause a huge majority of the MMO community thinks wow is still the best thing out there.

I barely made it to the 2nd area in TSW, the combat is boring, the skills you unlock are bad and thats what 90% of the game seems to be about, unlocking more skills.

Wow is nice for kiddos who like cartoony graphs and have computers like a toaster....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe