Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Hanging with the Sylvari

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Last week, MMORPG.com staff had the opportunity to check out the Sylvari starter zone in an exclusive first look at what the final beta weekend for Guild Wars 2 will entail. We've got even more terrific reports and footage so keep reading!

These aren’t your everyday elves, that’s for sure. Like Garrett, I had the special chance to play as the Sylvari during this past week in Guild Wars 2. I didn’t really expect to have but a passing interest in the plant-like creatures of Tyria, but now having had the chance to dabble around Caledor Forest and Grove (their home city) I can’t help but think I’ll be rolling an Elementalist or Ranger as a Sylvari at the end of August. Make no mistake, the Sylvari are ArenaNet’s answer to the elven race in its fantasy setting. But as a player who’s long grown tired of the Legolas mystique nerd culture seems to be caught up in, I’m happy to report that these beings who are quite literally one with nature are gorgeous, hauting, and downright fun when you get down to brass tacks.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Guild Wars 2: Hanging with the Sylvari.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158

Just cant decide what race to play on this BWE. Norn starting area seemed a bit boring to me, asura is to tech-savy for me, dont really remember the charr area and human starting area looked really cool in the videos. But I am afraid the human starting area wont be populated very well because everyone will be playing sylvari or asura :P

Sylvari starting area looks really cool but at the moment I feel more like playing in more urban areas and Sylvari Necro will probably be my main on release (if the game runs smooth on my system)

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

this is insane!!!!!!- Anet has nailed fantasy mmo-to its finest!!!!

cant wait!!

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Sylvari have been my #1 race choice since their introduction and over the years of reading GW2 articles they keep growing bigger and better than ever!  

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

I'd actually have to disagree about the idea of necromancers not fitting in with the Sylvari motiff. As a relatively new race (we are talking probably 25yrs old at the start of GW2) everything is still a rather new experience for them.

Death being one of the biggest. Because of how young they are in the world, there has only been a couple of deaths for them. So it would be no surprise for a Sylvari to become a necromancer in order to study and learn about the idea of it, and how it possibly can be used. Besides, its not like Sylvari Necromancers haven't been done before.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Killeen

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Looking good. Can't wait to check them out this weekend

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

I'd actually have to disagree about the idea of necromancers not fitting in with the Sylvari motiff. As a relatively new race (we are talking probably 25yrs old at the start of GW2) everything is still a rather new experience for them.

Death being one of the biggest. Because of how young they are in the world, there has only been a couple of deaths for them. So it would be no surprise for a Sylvari to become a necromancer in order to study and learn about the idea of it, and how it possibly can be used. Besides, its not like Sylvari Necromancers haven't been done before.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Killeen

If you read the Guild Wars 2 book "The Ghosts of Ascalon" the Sylvari character in there : Killeen, was a Necro. A lot of funny stuff and very usful in a place like old Ascalon.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

I'm thinking about skipping this weekend as I know what to expect from this game.  I don't want to ruin any surprises and have to start over again to see all the same content for the first time.

Not sure about anyone else, but playing this weekend seems moot.  I kind of hoped they wouldn't allow Sylvari or Asura until launch, but I guess sitting it out gives me the same impression.

See you guys Aug 28th.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Wow.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by jessie360

I'm thinking about skipping this weekend as I know what to expect from this game.  I don't want to ruin any surprises and have to start over again to see all the same content for the first time.

Not sure about anyone else, but playing this weekend seems moot.  I kind of hoped they wouldn't allow Sylvari or Asura until launch, but I guess sitting it out gives me the same impression.

See you guys Aug 28th.

I´m in the same boat in the sense that i won´t be playing neither Asuras or Sylvaris this weekend,

I will just play a bit with the character creation with them since i don´t want to spoil anything because they will be my main & first alter races.

I will expend this beta trying out some more professions like the Thief , Warrior & Ranger....

I haven´t made up my mind yet on which prof i´ll be playing   lol

• ZoyitaZoyita Member Posts: 119

Why the press cant just play in beta along with the players? am i supposed to feel happy about it? it just pisses me off. I dont understand the strategy there doesnt give hype at all just dissapoint me.

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

Sylvari has been my #1 choice for race, although in the beginning I was thinking Syl Ranger.  After playing the last 2 BWEs I can honestly say I am not sure which class I will start with.  Typically I play warrior or ranger types and rarely playing mage types, but after playing the engineer and the elementalist it is going to be a hard choice. 

Charr was my second race. but not so sure about that.  I did like the Norn and Norn starting area.

I love that GW2 has these great non-human non-basic fantasy races.  So tired of the typical elves, dwarfs, gnomes...

See you all in game and man am I counting down the days!

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Thought they might be my #1 pick and looking more and more like they will be.