Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good game, just too short

Comments

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I have repeated more than a few missions already and it's not as bad as you might think, especially if you group with some random people. Enjoy the human ellement, it always brings something random to the table.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wicoa

The OP has a point. Y'all will get there yourselves give or take a month.

only needs to get me another month and a week:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I have about 4 days played total. I've had some time off around the time TSW launched and I was able to play it hardcore-ish.

The game does have a shortage of content but what's there is good, especially the first 3 zones. I'm not a huge fan of Egypt and Transilvania zones but Solomon Island zones are pretty great.

With that said, the game does have some of the same issues that SWTOR had. The biggest being the focus on exhaustive story content. Don't get me wrong, most of it is great but just like SWTOR's stories and voice overs, it eventually ends and then what? Sure you can repeat some of the quests but most are really only fun once. Once you know what to do, the story and the ending it's not really as fun anymore.

I applaud Ragnar's commitment to releasing new content every month and I do hope that they pull it off. However, I see myself playing this game in chunks, rather than maintaining a steady subscription. I'll wait 5-6 months, reactivate the account for a month, do all of the new content and deactivate it for another 5-6 more months.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Every "end game" of every MMO I've ever played has limited options compared to the journey to end game. I have no idea why this would be different.

I don't get people who eat the whole tub of icecream and then pout and say "The icecream is all gone."

I have nothing against eating the whole tub if that's what someone wants to do...to each their own (fatty!)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I have not played TSW but what the OP wrote it sounds like just about every current MMO's endgame.  Maybe that is the problem if you have played one you have played them all you are just doing it in a different enviroment with slightly different mechanics.

I had the same problem with TERA game was fun for about 30 days mostly do to the combat system after that it is run the same thing run dungeons hoping for a specific piece of loot to drop so your gear score gets high enough to run hard modes in order to run the higher level hard modes, do your 10 daily quest and faction grinds.  Sure TSW has puzzels ect but the main theme of the pve end game is similar.

This is the same problem I had with RIFT, SWTOR, WoW(as it is now) I just lose interest in what end game these MMO's have to offer.  Once this happens the desire to log in and play every/most days goes away it is only a matter of time before I do not want to log in at all.  Pick a modern MMO and I end up in this same place and it happens faster and faster with every new game.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

God damn, some of you people are real catasses.  I've been playing fairly steadily since early release (2-3 hours a day, sometimes more, a lot more) and I just got to Egypt.  [mod edit]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

For some reason it's like those that are playing the game have completely missed the 'State of the game - July 2012' from the main site news section. There will be raids in the game, with hints towards it being the big apple. With an MMO I don't normally expect any for of raiding content within the first 3 months.

However this is down to how you wish to play the game, if you're bored, then don't play. Personally, I have over 6 days in game played time, playing over 4+ hours a day apart from at weekends when im with my girlfriend. I am still in Egypt. I have also repeated quests and explored a lot. mainly because the environment is wonderful to behold and I like to uncover everything. If you are of the mentality that 'end game is where it's at' and steam roll past everything, forsaking all the other enjoyments in the game, then you set yourself up for a limited experience.

Personally I can't wait to get to the end to then re-live the content I really enjoyed, invest in other skills, world boss hunt etc. I always seem to have something to do and enjoy.

Having played WoW since its US initial upstart, then moving over to EU servers a year or so later I found that I was only logging in to do raids because I had no love to go back to prior zones, although achievements did later address that for me. MMO's are about immersion, to fully enjoy the game world. If enjoyment for you is to simply get to the end and stop.. then I would suggest you stick to single player games, or quit and come back after a few content updates have taken place.

Despite this, I do understand why people would rush to the end, its how prior MMO's have groomed us previously and I would say that the boring boring world of SWTOR was no exception. I really did have to struggle and fight until the end of that tedium only to repeat the same old 'log in on raid nights' mentality.

I am glad, that TSW with its world, its characters and quests has me wanting to relive it all. In addition playing with friends is wonderful because I can repeat the quests they are behind on and still get benefit to it. Which was something that used to annoy me in other games, the amount of progression down time I would have due to waiting on some of my friends to catch up.

For now,  I would suggest checking out whats coming up in TSW from the state of the game news letter and understand that should TSW deliver on the promises on the monthly content that you will not have to go long without something new to enjoy.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Ginaz

God damn, some of you people are real catasses.  I've been playing fairly steadily since early release (2-3 hours a day, sometimes more, a lot more) and I just got to Egypt.  Serioulsy, to all the people that consume content in a new MMO in the first few weeks then complain theres nothing to do...go away.

The biggest issue is not the people who consume content too quick, everyone plays at their own pace. You can play 2-3 hours a day, reach end game in a month but a person who played 2-3 hours a week will tell you the same thing you just said.

The biggest issue is the lack of tools for players to create their own content. Newer games rely too much on exhaustive content, which will end for everyone eventually. Older MMOs were virtual worlds. Newer MMOs are nothing more than lobby games with an illusion of a world.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Iselin

Every "end game" of every MMO I've ever played has limited options compared to the journey to end game. I have no idea why this would be different.

I don't get people who eat the whole tub of icecream and then pout and say "The icecream is all gone."

I have nothing against eating the whole tub if that's what someone wants to do...to each their own (fatty!)

If you are going to compare mmos to tubs of icecream then you have to admit icecream can be purchased in different sized tubs. So do content sizes in different games.

I was one of the slower out of my friends playing TSW, I consumed the content at a around 2-4 hours a day while friends played almost all day and most of the night (students on vacation).  My issue isn't that I feel I completed the game, its that I feel its a bait and switch gear grind, I can do that with my annual pass... I wasn't seeking it again though I thoroughly enjoyed the journey.  I was hoping the RvR lake would have been much larger in scope, its pretty much a national aquarium mimicking the ocean for all the fish that swim around in circles.

Other games like dark age of camelot, I played for around two years straight which had massive zones to wander around in and cause havoc,  planetside was similar one year straight subscription including core combat, I only quit when BFRs were introduced which were effectively; one man army I win button.

It is up to devs to create worlds for us to wander around in and compete with or against other guilds, we can only consume what is put in front of us.  I no longer wish to eat icecream on my own solo, I want a banquet in a hall with all my guild friends and to pillage as part of the nights games!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by heartless

God damn, some of you people are real catasses.  I've been playing fairly steadily since early release (2-3 hours a day, sometimes more, a lot more) and I just got to Egypt.  Serioulsy, to all the people that consume content in a new MMO in the first few weeks then complain theres nothing to do...go away.

The biggest issue is not the people who consume content too quick, everyone plays at their own pace. You can play 2-3 hours a day, reach end game in a month but a person who played 2-3 hours a week will tell you the same thing you just said.

The biggest issue is the lack of tools for players to create their own content. Newer games rely too much on exhaustive content, which will end for everyone eventually. Older MMOs were virtual worlds. Newer MMOs are nothing more than lobby games with an illusion of a world.

I agree with that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Hey Godpuppet what's you character's name I want to look ya up in the tsw database so I can envy your accomplishments.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by godpuppet

Ive been playing since 18th of june early access, so thats what 30 days?

Early access didn't begin until the 29th, you've played for eighteen days.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If they do what they say they're going to do, the additional content is going to be more along the lines of the story content, not the end game raiding content. I don't know how that will tie into the 'end game', but I would honestly rather do something like that than do the whole end game raid thing. Even the end game PvP thing has gotten old.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• XuljesterXuljester Member Posts: 53

And therein lies the ever-present issue of story-driven content...

All of this silly questing and story-telling practically forces the player to continue moving forward through the world, giving little reason to stop and stay, exploring the world of the player's own accord. I remember spending a month in and around the island city of Jhelom in Ultima Online. The story was mine to tell, the quests were mine to give.

Further twisting the knife is a forced progression of the character's abilities. Perhaps not quite so pronounced in The Secret World, but required by the content set before the players. Again, the room to breath and enjoy the moment is lost to the bated tides of new skills and points urgently demanded to be placed here or there, rather than simply being satisfyingly adequate for as long as the player desires.

I'm sure the intentions behind The Secret World were grandiose, but I often wonder why they bother with the MMO genre if the story is designed for the single-player experience, the combat designed for the co-operative multiplayer, the content designed for a terribly finite trial, and gameplay structured for a tentative ending--whose extension is pending your further financial contribution. It seems a failing endeavor to be the sort of experience every person can enjoy, but manages--more often than not--to be a collection of fantastic ideas that don't quite suit the social experience that inherently is the Massively Multiplayer Online Game.

*deep breath*

I need to stop randomly ranting like this. You guys have a good day.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

If you are going to compare mmos to tubs of icecream then you have to admit icecream can be purchased in different sized tubs. So do content sizes in different games.

I was one of the slower out of my friends playing TSW, I consumed the content at a around 2-4 hours a day while friends played almost all day and most of the night (students on vacation).  My issue isn't that I feel I completed the game, its that I feel its a bait and switch gear grind, I can do that with my annual pass... I wasn't seeking it again though I thoroughly enjoyed the journey.  I was hoping the RvR lake would have been much larger in scope, its pretty much a national aquarium mimicking the ocean for all the fish that swim around in circles.

Other games like dark age of camelot, I played for around two years straight which had massive zones to wander around in and cause havoc,  planetside was similar one year straight subscription including core combat, I only quit when BFRs were introduced which were effectively; one man army I win button.

It is up to devs to create worlds for us to wander around in and compete with or against other guilds, we can only consume what is put in front of us.  I no longer wish to eat icecream on my own solo, I want a banquet in a hall with all my guild friends and to pillage as part of the nights games!

I have to admit that I've never played a game for longer than a few months since DAoC either. I loved RvR too and it's what I'm looking forward to the most in GW2.

But I'm not sure if lack of longevity is a game's fault or if it's just the times. When DAoC was new, MMOs were a sub-fringe of the fringe hobby of computer gaming. I think we all knew that and it was one of the main reasons we also tended to get along better and built strong communities.

That was long before gaming had passed movies for revenue (happened in 2008.)  When I played DAoC you could count all active MMOs with your fingers--probably just one hand although I'm sure someone remembers a 6th one. Now just take a look at the forums here. Games, and even MMOs after WOW, are mainstream entertainment and we have tons of opportunity to be pulled away from whatever we're playing and try something new and shiny.

And as much as I liked DAoC I still think it had its faults. Yes 3-sided RvR worked but a jaded way to describe it would be Zerg vs. Zerg vs. Zerg. It had moments but even the crappiestr PVP MMOs I've played (SWTOR, I'm looking at you) had a handful of open world PvP moments I remebre fondly.

Don't know about you but I played DAoC mostly with the same group of people for 18+ months. People just move too fast for that today and the only guilds that seem to stay together are the ones that game-hop or have multiple "chapters."

TSW is my summer pre-GW2 MMO. I'll be happy with 2 months but I like it enough that I'm sure I'll resub at some point....probably after GW2 has lost its shine.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Exactly. Developers will never, ever be able to create content at a rate faster or as fast as player's in general consume it. Developers need to put far more resources into player-driven and player-created content. If you're not at the point OP is now - you will be soon in a month or 2. Unless you play the game an incredibly small amount like 1 hour a week you will always catch up and complete the developere-created content.

• TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37

I have about 4 days played total. I've had some time off around the time TSW launched and I was able to play it hardcore-ish.

The game does have a shortage of content but what's there is good, especially the first 3 zones. I'm not a huge fan of Egypt and Transilvania zones but Solomon Island zones are pretty great.

With that said, the game does have some of the same issues that SWTOR had. The biggest being the focus on exhaustive story content. Don't get me wrong, most of it is great but just like SWTOR's stories and voice overs, it eventually ends and then what? Sure you can repeat some of the quests but most are really only fun once. Once you know what to do, the story and the ending it's not really as fun anymore.

I applaud Ragnar's commitment to releasing new content every month and I do hope that they pull it off. However, I see myself playing this game in chunks, rather than maintaining a steady subscription. I'll wait 5-6 months, reactivate the account for a month, do all of the new content and deactivate it for another 5-6 more months.

This is one of the main reasons for me not buying TSW at release (besides obvious stuff like bugs, etc).

I will probably start playing in early October so that is after:

- 3 montly updates

- 2 new zones (or close to release)

- Raid (or close to release)

- Instances fully fleshed out

That will probably last at least two months if liking the game.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Im mid way through the first egypt map.

Ive skipped some content, either too many people doing a mission and dont want "help" specifically in the more complex puzzle missions "The big terrible picture" being the most recent...also a few that were suppose to be bugged.  Nothing big ill go back if i need to later on.  Ive also grouped quite a bit making some content go a bit too fast imo. If i see someone mulling about where il questing ill toss an invite ect, and i accept random invites.

Ive run each instance at least twice with inferno i mabey ran that about 10 times, not because i needed to but because it was actually fun, and seemed more difficult than the dungeon before and after it.

I have a full time job and i dont play "hardcore" meaning i stop and smell the roses, often im treated to my curiosity with some place that seems there for no reason with either a lore item or at least a grey quest sitting somewhere.

I have spent almost no time in pvp either...just enough to see...ill save pvp for "endgame"

I see myself clearing the content mabey in 15-30 days, which means at least one new content pack will be added.

Playing a game where i dont feel rushed to keep up, or behind because im not running the most XP efficiant tasks ect as with most mmorpgs is priceless and i can see from the very limited amount of people complaining over the lack of content that there is absolutely no benefit to rushing.

Initially my concern was that 3 areas with 3 maps each wasnt going to be enough, that was before the content schedule was released, i do realize that some players will be unemployed of off for the summer, however if hardmode dungeons and  battle grounds + huge persistant pvp map isnt enough for endgamers, theres really no game out there that will suffice then.  I mean no raids yet but i find it hard to believe that a once a week dungeon will suffice people whove burned throught he content already.

They REALLY need a cabal vs cabal functon in the game, mabey with territory control and seiges.  Thats really the only endgame item that ive heard no talk about.  Make guild seiges non mutual, but make wars mutual and have FFA pvp between the warring guilds.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

fine dinning doesn't fare well with the fast food and junk food fans. I recommend going back to enjoying fast food or junk food ^^

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Hey Godpuppet what's you character's name I want to look ya up in the tsw database so I can envy your accomplishments.

Lol sure, my char is WildCards, Fist/Blood/AR Healer.

---

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

I have to admit that I've never played a game for longer than a few months since DAoC either. I loved RvR too and it's what I'm looking forward to the most in GW2.

But I'm not sure if lack of longevity is a game's fault or if it's just the times. When DAoC was new, MMOs were a sub-fringe of the fringe hobby of computer gaming. I think we all knew that and it was one of the main reasons we also tended to get along better and built strong communities.

That was long before gaming had passed movies for revenue (happened in 2008.)  When I played DAoC you could count all active MMOs with your fingers--probably just one hand although I'm sure someone remembers a 6th one. Now just take a look at the forums here. Games, and even MMOs after WOW, are mainstream entertainment and we have tons of opportunity to be pulled away from whatever we're playing and try something new and shiny.

And as much as I liked DAoC I still think it had its faults. Yes 3-sided RvR worked but a jaded way to describe it would be Zerg vs. Zerg vs. Zerg. It had moments but even the crappiestr PVP MMOs I've played (SWTOR, I'm looking at you) had a handful of open world PvP moments I remebre fondly.

Don't know about you but I played DAoC mostly with the same group of people for 18+ months. People just move too fast for that today and the only guilds that seem to stay together are the ones that game-hop or have multiple "chapters."

TSW is my summer pre-GW2 MMO. I'll be happy with 2 months but I like it enough that I'm sure I'll resub at some point....probably after GW2 has lost its shine.

I played DAoC at launch too, you couldnt get to level 50 in 18 days. It took me months! And even then, the persistent world RVR had substantial game changing content which felt worthwhile (esp when your guild took castles/forts/whatever for itself). TSW PVP is like some guy explained earlier, Watching fish go around a goldfish bowl, a zergathon, and thats all there is to do besides raiding a world boss when all your mates are online, and waiting 16 hours to do a nightmare.

---

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you guys blow through this stuff way to fast.. i been playing since CB and even still I'm just only about to hit blue mountain

Actually the OP is about right. During all phases of beta, working 40hrs a week, I was able to complete all the content prior to the wipe for open beta in a week. The game IS simply that short.

You seem to be going at a snails pace, or taking everything in, than everyone else. Not a bad thing mind you, but claiming others are going through stuff way too quickly isn't correct at all.

if you guys are expecting the content to last while playing 8 hours a day everyday you have unrealistic expectations from a themepark MMO.

oh also most themeparks are released with no raids and raids were added in time...

True, but then food for thought. Most people play what, 4 hours a day.  By my pace, which id say is pretty normal, just alot of time spent. Thats 2 months. Ive checked the upcoming update announcements. There isnt going to be anything massive to provide greater endgame content in the next patch.

So while im saying it now, in a month, month and a half, people are going to be saying the same thing.

If its taken Funcom 3-4 years to get to this point. I really dont see any massive changes coming in the next 30 days.

Source? I don't have facts myself either, but i believe most people play 1-2 hours a day.

Seriously OP, you played 8 hours everyday and expect the game tio las how long? Ok, it lasted 2 weeks. How much more do you honestly expect. 2, maybe 3 extra weeks. Still only leads to 1 month of play time. You yourself said you didn't watch every cutscens, didn't even try to figure out puzzles, etc, etc.

Honeslt, you can't the blame the game at all for that. Myself, if i powerlevel, i can complelte any game in less than 1 month too.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

To the intial MMOers glance, TSW really appears to be yet another generic MMO copy, but when you take a closer look and give it a bit of time, you find a real Diamond. I was one of those people, I saw it, I wasnt interested. I got invited to the Beta weekend, It was ok, I had nothing better to do as I was on leave for a month so I decided to pre order and play. 2 days later im hooked, 5 days later im addicted.

This game offers storyline immersion that goes back to games of the older generation. Where you were glued to your screen wanting to know what happens next. The quests are a puzzle and take actual thought process to work out (though you can cheat with google if you get stuck, i did) making the game less of a droll grind. The leveling system is pretty quality, it allowed me to look through all the skills and find combinations that work best and work towards them. By the end i had 3 different healer builds, a DPS build and an AoE DPS build. All which id designed myself.

The idea is by the end of the game you can get all skills, though having done all the missions and only having 30% of them, I can see its going to be abit of a grind.

Ive been playing since 18th of june early access, so thats what 30 days? I dont regret it, loved it. Only thing is, Ive played alot and ive smashed all the content. Im not one for sitting back and watching every single cutscene, sorry it bores me. Im not one for spending an hour working out a quest, sorry, 30 mins and ill google it. I play for fun, i dont find the alternative fun. Lest to say ive had alot of time off and ive wanted to play it as much as I can. 

Questing? Fun. Groups? Fun. Instance require tactics and group coordination to overcome. Great! Cabals? Lacking abit of content, they're basically glorified chat rooms. Graphics? Absolute quality. 

The endgame doesnt seem to offer much tho, which is why ive decided to shelve this game and come back to it in a few months. Once you've done the main storyline and all the quests. You've got two options Nightmare Dungeons, and PVP. Nightmare dungeons are like the name suggests, a nightmare to do. Most bosses are bugged, so you cant complete them. And you cant raid the same dungeon for another 16 hours if you dont finish it, which you cant becuase its bugged. And doing a higher Nightmare? you must be joking, you need the gear from the lower ones.

So im left with only two alternatives, gather all exploration & lore achievements for bits of clothing. PVP until my eyes bleed, all so I can raid a dungeon in hope the boss mobs dont bug. And lets say I do that for the next two weeks and manage to get 3-4 purples? What then?

Lest to say, great game, thoroughly enjoyed it and I am returning when they create some sort of sustainable endgame content, ie cabal citys/bases, a better pvp reward system & maps, a way to get more AP other then grinding mobs/instances. In its current state it will easily provide a month joyful content. But in true Funcom fashion they forgot to add endgame.

If you disagree/agree, crack on, just thought I'd share my experience in the gaming having done pretty much everything. Cheers!

I've been playing on Cerebus server, my character is at 1000sp points, and the skill wheel is at 45% complete and i'm still enjoying what it has to offer, every day I log in I find different ways to combine skills and passives in ways that just blow my mind and others.   These builds I use for pvp, pve, and bosses.  For myself the end game is finding fun builds and trying new weapons and other methods of play in pvp, and pve.   I guess for myself I love Pvp and am there all the time figuring out new ways to take on turrets and guardians with team of just 3-4.  

My most recent build is very fun as I am able to charge in and take the offensive against 20 players and be able to kill 3-5 players depending on the situation.  Another thing that keeps me coming back to pvp is the odd person who can survive a 1v1 battle against me.  I end up studying the fight and figure out how to counter it by making smaller but important tweaks to the passives but again thats pvp and may not for everyone.  

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

I agree completely. I think that the game has far more "leveling" (can't really think of a better word for it) content then pretty much every launch MMO to date, but once you finish all the content you are essentially done. Completionists will certainly get a good amount of play time with this game though. I think the average player can get 2-3 months out of this game. Most people won't just rip through the content. I can foresee alot of people finishing the actual progression through the game in slightly less time. (Maybe 2 months max there)

If you want to max out all your ap/sp though that would take longer. There is someone who is almost max now, but the game has been out two weeks. That person obviously wants to be the "first" so I can tell you right now they probably are playing atleast 12-15 hours a day if not more. All that considered, it can take a long time to cap out your abilities. I think most people will just max out what they want to do though and be pretty much done with it from there.

We will see if they can hold up to the "monthly" updates. I won't hold my breathe, but this is totally worth picking up for the first month if you are just looking for something to kill time until GW2.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

What i don't get is, what are people expecting eternal content from games that don't have them?

There where tons of players who where expcting TOR to last forever, and when they started to run out of stuff to do, they QQ. Seriously, there's no mmorpg with dev driven worlds coming out that lasts more than 3 months. Hell, most didn't even finish TOR's whole content.

Really, if one wants a game that actually lasts, play agame made for it. Themeparks aren't it. Don't know what they where like years ago in the time of EQ, but that's not the mmos of today. The only solution, and this seems to be what devs in the old days did, is create massive amounts of grind to advance to each new area, but then players complain about that instead.

Dev driven mmo = limited and finite amounts of stuff = it ends sooner or later.

if you want a game that keeps on going, play a sandbox like EVE, or, way for more content updates in the case pf TP's