Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good game, just too short

godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

To the intial MMOers glance, TSW really appears to be yet another generic MMO copy, but when you take a closer look and give it a bit of time, you find a real Diamond. I was one of those people, I saw it, I wasnt interested. I got invited to the Beta weekend, It was ok, I had nothing better to do as I was on leave for a month so I decided to pre order and play. 2 days later im hooked, 5 days later im addicted.

This game offers storyline immersion that goes back to games of the older generation. Where you were glued to your screen wanting to know what happens next. The quests are a puzzle and take actual thought process to work out (though you can cheat with google if you get stuck, i did) making the game less of a droll grind. The leveling system is pretty quality, it allowed me to look through all the skills and find combinations that work best and work towards them. By the end i had 3 different healer builds, a DPS build and an AoE DPS build. All which id designed myself.

The idea is by the end of the game you can get all skills, though having done all the missions and only having 30% of them, I can see its going to be abit of a grind.

Ive been playing since 18th of june early access, so thats what 30 days? I dont regret it, loved it. Only thing is, Ive played alot and ive smashed all the content. Im not one for sitting back and watching every single cutscene, sorry it bores me. Im not one for spending an hour working out a quest, sorry, 30 mins and ill google it. I play for fun, i dont find the alternative fun. Lest to say ive had alot of time off and ive wanted to play it as much as I can. 

Questing? Fun. Groups? Fun. Instance require tactics and group coordination to overcome. Great! Cabals? Lacking abit of content, they're basically glorified chat rooms. Graphics? Absolute quality. 

The endgame doesnt seem to offer much tho, which is why ive decided to shelve this game and come back to it in a few months. Once you've done the main storyline and all the quests. You've got two options Nightmare Dungeons, and PVP. Nightmare dungeons are like the name suggests, a nightmare to do. Most bosses are bugged, so you cant complete them. And you cant raid the same dungeon for another 16 hours if you dont finish it, which you cant becuase its bugged. And doing a higher Nightmare? you must be joking, you need the gear from the lower ones.

So im left with only two alternatives, gather all exploration & lore achievements for bits of clothing. PVP until my eyes bleed, all so I can raid a dungeon in hope the boss mobs dont bug. And lets say I do that for the next two weeks and manage to get 3-4 purples? What then?

Lest to say, great game, thoroughly enjoyed it and I am returning when they create some sort of sustainable endgame content, ie cabal citys/bases, a better pvp reward system & maps, a way to get more AP other then grinding mobs/instances. In its current state it will easily provide a month joyful content. But in true Funcom fashion they forgot to add endgame.

If you disagree/agree, crack on, just thought I'd share my experience in the gaming having done pretty much everything. Cheers!

---

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

you guys blow through this stuff way to fast.. i been playing since CB and even still I'm just only about to hit blue mountain

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

It really upsets me all these "theres no endgame" posts.  YOU GUYS DONT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE GAME YOURE PLAYING!

Have you heard of puzzles pieces?  Rare spawn monsters?

Did you know this game has region bosses and even a world boss?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/interview-with-funcom/

Please read this, specifically the end game question, [mod edit]

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Sigh, I've done 49 in-game hours now and am only at the beginning of Savage Coast. I've watched every cut scene and have tried to do every quest. I play 1-2 hours a day and am NO WHERE NEAR end game. I've missed a few days here and there. At this rate I'll hit end game in half a year? Dang!

You didn't say how many hours a day you spent, but seems to me you rushed it. In either way, to each his own. Seems you did enjoy the game when playing it so you did get your money's worth.

Originally posted by marz.at.play

Sigh, I've done 49 in-game hours now and am only at the beginning of Savage Coast. I've watched every cut scene and have tried to do every quest. I play 1-2 hours a day and am NO WHERE NEAR end game. I've missed a few days here and there. At this rate I'll hit end game in half a year? Dang!

You didn't say how many hours a day you spent, but seems to me you rushed it. In either way, to each his own. Seems you did enjoy the game when playing it so you did get your money's worth.

yea i'm just about 2 days /played right now and finishing up the last quest i think i savage coast then moving on to blue mountain. I also have done almost zero pvp and only polaris a handfull of times

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Originally posted by Melieza It really upsets me all these "theres no endgame" posts.  YOU GUYS DONT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE GAME YOURE PLAYING! Have you heard of puzzles pieces?  Rare spawn monsters? Did you know this game has region bosses and even a world boss? http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/interview-with-funcom/ Please read this, specifically the end game question, and stop with these naive posts.

ok, heres what he said:

End game is a different monster to tackle. I think one of the biggest faults of MMOs today is that they create content for the players to consume, and when it's consumed, players never visit it again. Reusing the content in a clever way can make development cost lower, and player enjoyment bigger. Our game is slightly different from other MMOs since we don't have any level, and end game is a bit harder to define, but players will have plenty to do. All our dungeons are available in different difficulties, and some of them are insanely hard. This will only be for the best of the best. Also, in every zone the player has played through will have certain camps with monsters that were too hard for them to fight when they visited the zone for the first time. However, when they are strong enough, they can go back and whoop the monsters' asses. By doing this they will gather different puzzle pieces, which they can combine, and then summon forth a demon to fight. If they are successful they will get some nice gear, but a also another puzzle piece. If a player gathers enough of these puzzle pieces, they can summon the region boss, which is a huge baddie! Fighting these guys will require lots of players and very nice coordination. These guys will drop even better gear, but also a puzzle piece. These pieces are for the world boss, which is... Well... Let's just say you need to be a pretty frikking awesome player to tackle him...

In addition to all of this we have lots of PvP the players can have fun with. Everything from some quick action minigames, to persistent world domination PvP. We will also have social features like dance floors, a theater and bars to hang out in. We will also release our first raid, very shortly after release.

Key Points:

All our dungeons are available in different difficulties, and some of them are insanely hard.

Yeah, which ive done, and unfortunately the harder ones require me to wait 16 hours a try and they're bugged.

By doing this they will gather different puzzle pieces, which they can combine, and then summon forth a demon to fight. If they are successful they will get some nice gear, but a also another puzzle piece. If a player gathers enough of these puzzle pieces, they can summon the region boss, which is a huge baddie!

So what your saying is this should be my endgame? Going around chasing world mobs?

In addition to all of this we have lots of PvP the players can have fun with. Everything from some quick action minigames, to persistent world domination PvP.

So like I said in my OP, endgame has PVP.

Look im sorry im bashing your favorite game. But you cant really say im naive when the thread you linked me too says the same things i said in my OP. I enjoyed the game too but theres no endgame, or its too short.

---

Originally posted by marz.at.play

To be honest about 6-8 hours a day. What can I say, im on leave from the Army, I enjoy games. I enjoy spending my leave doing what I enjoy. :p

---

• PaleridersPaleriders Member UncommonPosts: 37

Sorry OP, you're a victim of your own hardcoresnessishness, or whatever.  I'm curious what your /played time is.  Hopefully you can bounce in and out and enjoy the future content.  For me, and I guess some others who posted ahead of, I am loving the game and not getting through content that fast.  I also think I am at about 48 hours and I am just finishing savage coast, PvP about 30-60 minutes a day and did polaris once.  I also have 10% of the wheel full, so I am also surprised you only have 30% done.

not my favorite game by any means but I already got over 40 hours in and just starting the 3rd zone without even touching pvp for the most part.. seems like plently of content to me unless you are skipping a lot of quests and dungeons.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

What 'endgame' does other games have that TSW doesn't?  IMO it has everything other games has PLUS MORE.  Other games do not have secret bosses you can spawn, 500 skills you can unlock, different dungeon difficulties, achievements with costume pieces you can unlock, and over 500 quests each with cutscenes and their own story.

It seems like you're saying "there is an endgame, but I don't want to do it".

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you guys blow through this stuff way to fast.. i been playing since CB and even still I'm just only about to hit blue mountain

Me too.

By the time I finish Transylvania, there'll most likely have been 2 monthly updates already, lol

A game is what you make of it. OP, if you skip most of the cutscenes and google quest solutions after 30 mins (in a game that has story and puzzle quests as a main feature), then it stands to reason that you will burn through the content quite quickly.

At least, it sounds like you enjoyed the ride...

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

How the hell are you "done" already? I'm not even out of Savage Coast yet.

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by Paleriders

Sorry OP, you're a victim of your own hardcoresnessishness, or whatever.  I'm curious what your /played time is.  Hopefully you can bounce in and out and enjoy the future content.  For me, and I guess some others who posted ahead of, I am loving the game and not getting through content that fast.  I also think I am at about 48 hours and I am just finishing savage coast, PvP about 30-60 minutes a day and did polaris once.  I also have 10% of the wheel full, so I am also surprised you only have 30% done.

Probably true mate. I worked out my played in hours, which is 134, averages about 7 hours a day. lol yea probably pretty hardcore. But still that would have taken me two months at 4 hours a day. Ive read the coming content, there isnt a huge amount coming end of this month.

---

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Actually the OP is about right. During all phases of beta, working 40hrs a week, I was able to complete all the content prior to the wipe for open beta in a week. The game IS simply that short.

You seem to be going at a snails pace, or taking everything in, than everyone else. Not a bad thing mind you, but claiming others are going through stuff way too quickly isn't correct at all.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Melieza

What 'endgame' does other games have that TSW doesn't?  IMO it has everything other games has PLUS MORE.  Other games do not have secret bosses you can spawn, 500 skills you can unlock, different dungeon difficulties, achievements with costume pieces you can unlock, and over 500 quests each with cutscenes and their own story.

It seems like you're saying "there is an endgame, but I don't want to do it".

Well in most other MMO's you can raid dungeons at will and not have timers and ime take longer then 2-3 weeks to get through the content before you get to the raiding.

But ive done some secret bosses, the loot isnt that great and they arent worth my subscription for. LIke I said ive done every normal and elite. I have 90% of achievements, but again not worth my cash just to run about exploring and picking up golden squares, if I wanted that id play mario. ive done all the quests, maybe excepting a few of the minor ones.

Oh maybe im not saying theres not endgame, im saying theres not enough, all it is, is wait 16 hours for each nightmare raid, and pvp whilst your waiting. Not my idea of fun.

---

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Actually the OP is about right. During all phases of beta, working 40hrs a week, I was able to complete all the content prior to the wipe for open beta in a week. The game IS simply that short.

You seem to be going at a snails pace, or taking everything in, than everyone else. Not a bad thing mind you, but claiming others are going through stuff way too quickly isn't correct at all.

if you guys are expecting the content to last while playing 8 hours a day everyday you have unrealistic expectations from a themepark MMO.

oh also most themeparks are released with no raids and raids were added in time...

if you guys are expecting the content to last while playing 8 hours a day everyday you have unrealistic expectations from a themepark MMO.

oh also most themeparks are released with no raids and raids were added in time...

True, but then food for thought. Most people play what, 4 hours a day.  By my pace, which id say is pretty normal, just alot of time spent. Thats 2 months. Ive checked the upcoming update announcements. There isnt going to be anything massive to provide greater endgame content in the next patch.

So while im saying it now, in a month, month and a half, people are going to be saying the same thing.

If its taken Funcom 3-4 years to get to this point. I really dont see any massive changes coming in the next 30 days.

---

Originally posted by godpuppet

True, but then food for thought. Most people play what, 4 hours a day. Thats only 2 months. Ive checked the upcoming update announcements. There isnt going to be anything massive to provide greater endgame content in the next patch.

So while im saying it now, in a month, month and a half, people are going to be saying the same thing.

If its taken then 3-4 years to get to this point. I really dont see any massive changes coming in the next 30 days.

well in a month GW2 wil be out and will give people something else to play if they are tired of TSW:)  but look at games like Rift they added a ton of content in a very short time.. it honestly doesn't take long if the developers do it right.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I also burned through most of the game already, been taking it slow since hitting transylvania. It is a great game though and I've found I like it more and more as I play and get a better understandig of the systems in place. Wish I could find a list of total missions per area to compare with so I can revisist the places I missed stuff, though I do have a few missions in my paused log that I skipped or grabbed something else. I will def sub at some point but might give them a few months to add a bunch of missions frst so theres plenty when I come back. A good thing about this game is the way the hollow earth agatha portals work out they can easily add new zones and with the lore of the zones a lot of side story to compliment new missions. 

Originally posted by godpuppet

True, but then food for thought. Most people play what, 4 hours a day. Thats only 2 months. Ive checked the upcoming update announcements. There isnt going to be anything massive to provide greater endgame content in the next patch.

If its taken then 3-4 years to get to this point. I really dont see any massive changes coming in the next 30 days.

well in a month GW2 wil be out and will give people something else to play if they are tired of TSW:)  but look at games like Rift they added a ton of content in a very short time.. it honestly doesn't take long if the developers do it right.

To be honest I really hope they do. This game is absolute quality.

---

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Meh...

Bad game for me.  Combat was a bit clunky and boring.  You would just spam a select few abilities over and over.  No real reason to watch for reactive abilities or what your target is doing.  Yeah boss fights you have to move out of some areas but thats standard MMO practice.

The skill system that people seem to get so wrapped up in is meh as well.  I filled out several T1's to test them out and a good number of T2 skills and they were just all really boring.  Everything does direct damage or damage over time pretty much.  Some things require targets to be debuffed a special way but that just limits how easily you can get the T2 abilities to actually do something.

I went after some of the limited duration pet abilities and they were horrible.  One I think claims to spawn a demon that attacks your target.  Tons of skills invested to get it and the skill was terrible.

Tera was a lot more enjoyable for me and I still couldn't finish that game either.  SWTOR was at least good enough to get to max level and do each of the instances once.  TSW I feel no motivation or reason to bother grinding skills out and gear slots so I can... what?

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Same Ive been playing since early access, every day pretty much and still going through Savage Coast.

Originally posted by Painlezz

Meh...

Bad game for me.  Combat was a bit clunky and boring.  You would just spam a select few abilities over and over.  No real reason to watch for reactive abilities or what your target is doing.  Yeah boss fights you have to move out of some areas but thats standard MMO practice.

The skill system that people seem to get so wrapped up in is meh as well.  I filled out several T1's to test them out and a good number of T2 skills and they were just all really boring.  Everything does direct damage or damage over time pretty much.  Some things require targets to be debuffed a special way but that just limits how easily you can get the T2 abilities to actually do something.

I went after some of the limited duration pet abilities and they were horrible.  One I think claims to spawn a demon that attacks your target.  Tons of skills invested to get it and the skill was terrible.

Tera was a lot more enjoyable for me and I still couldn't finish that game either.  SWTOR was at least good enough to get to max level and do each of the instances once.  TSW I feel no motivation or reason to bother grinding skills out and gear slots so I can... what?

swtor i wanted to rip my hair out by level 30 by how boring it was.. never made it past 35 and I'm a long time hard core star wars geek.. swtor is just a horrible game... but just shows how differen't peoples taste in games are

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Are you repeating missions in those areas?  If you are, that is the reason why you are progressing so slowly.   Stop repeating, make a good build and watch how quick you move through the game.  The moment I stopped doing that and geared up in dungeons.  I was flying through the content.  They want you to constantly repeat missions to pad the low amount of missions in each area.  Think the most is probably less than 50 missions in each area that includes the side missions after solomon island.  I might need to  double check to make sure though. 

Even though the story is really good, hell, great on several missions.  The game has a low amount of content.

BOOYAKA!

Originally posted by cyress8

Are you repeating missions in those areas?  If you are, that is the reason why you are progressing so slowly.   Stop repeating, make a good build and watch how quick you move through the game.  The moment I stopped doing that and geared up in dungeons.  I was flying through the content.  They want you to constantly repeat missions to pad the low amount of missions in each area.  Think the most is probably less than 50 missions in each area that includes the side missions after solomon island.  I might need to  double check to make sure though. 

Even though the story is really good, hell, great on several missions.  The game has a low amount of content.

I have not repeated a single mission yet on this character

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The OP has a point. Y'all will get there yourselves give or take a month.