Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Sylvari Experience

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by Foomerang Yeesh. Sylvari city looks straight out of Perfect World.
    Not really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTLqBWRrHmU#t=5m30

Yeah kinda. It reminds me of Perfect World or Jade Dynasty or some other Korean fantasy f2p games. Graphics are more detailed and crisp for sure. But the overall aesthetic resembles these games a lot imo.

The aesthetic reminds me of the EQ2 zones greater and lesser Faydark. 

• shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74

dude looks lost

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161
    Sylvari look fantastic!

Re : personal story

I liked them quite a bit, but its not like I intend to make them the focus of my gameplay. The prewritten stories provided by the game will always be secondary to the one I create myself while playing.
  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Soldarith

However, the fact remains for us that the story lines are absolute trash for the classes and races we played. And while the game will still hold sway with the player crowds who want an online game without paying a monthly fee, those gamers who just want pure PVP-centered experiences, and those who want an open world to explore, the game's core (i.e. its story) is shallow, uninspiring, and given little thought in effectiveness and meaning -- Once again: IMO.

We live in an age when people believe that the core of MMORPGs should be story. I hope this fades after games like TOR are seen as less successful than promised. It is a bit strange to see someone that's played the game actually think that story is the "game's core."

Is it ironic that Dynamic Events are all about telling a pre-determined loop story?

RPG's ahve always been about story. MMORPGs on the other hand are all about community and group elements and goals and player driven and affect worlds, which GW2 isn't.

On topic, love the Sylvari. Never been a big Elf fan myself, but like these guys alot.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

However, the fact remains for us that the story lines are absolute trash for the classes and races we played. And while the game will still hold sway with the player crowds who want an online game without paying a monthly fee, those gamers who just want pure PVP-centered experiences, and those who want an open world to explore, the game's core (i.e. its story) is shallow, uninspiring, and given little thought in effectiveness and meaning -- Once again: IMO.

We live in an age when people believe that the core of MMORPGs should be story. I hope this fades after games like TOR are seen as less successful than promised. It is a bit strange to see someone that's played the game actually think that story is the "game's core."

Is it ironic that Dynamic Events are all about telling a pre-determined loop story?

RPG's ahve always been about story. MMORPGs on the other hand are all about community and group elements and goals and player driven and affect worlds, which GW2 isn't.

On topic, love the Sylvari. Never been a big Elf fan myself, but like these guys alot.

If GW2 isn't "that" which current MMO is??

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

looks like the same old crap we been playing for 8 years i all ready bored and falling assleep watching this 

• beowulf2014beowulf2014 Member UncommonPosts: 72

Bill, you sound like Bob Ross from The Joy of Painting.. gotta get more upbeat and excited sounding man lol.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by MattVid
    It is fairly apparent you don't know what you are talking about. "Most MMO's" don't have voice overs for the questing. "Most MMO's" don't have cut scenes that are any good.

The story is more dynamic and changing than SWTOR (SWTOR was a horrible game, IMO). I don't think the story is the selling point of GW2, but it is definitely not worse than "Most MMO's".

I could honestly care less about the story, and more about the gameplay (what you are doing 95% of the time when playing). Also, the "in progress" stuff is because the game is in beta. This will not be there for release. At least, I hope not ;)

To each their own, but it sounds like you are being overly critical with zero fact to back up your arguments.

Never once in my post did I claim "most MMOs". Its fairly apparent that you did not read my post, but instead skimmed it. I am not so new to the genre that I believe MMOs have been doing voice-over questing for decades now...Just because our opinions disagree doesn't mean you need to take my words out-of-context or create your own in attacks against me.

I don't believe that Guild Wars 2 does everything wrong. I just think that the story itself, for Engineer, Elementalist, and Necromancer are so uninteresting and the NPCs and voice-acting is so uninspiring that it makes SWTOR and TSW's voice-acting and cut-scenes look like they came out of a blockbuster summer movie. Do those two MMOs have their faults? Absolutely, but story and voice acting is not one of them.

Its not the "in progress" stuff that worries me. Yes, where voice-overs are missing, they will be placed in; I get this. What will not be fixed is the story arch, the NPCs involved, and voice actors and their lines already spoken and placed into the game. All of that is done and will not change come release. And, for us at least, all of that is absolutely the worst we have seen in an MMO to date.

One comment made a lot of sense here: They probably didn't spend a great deal on the voice acting and spent the money elsewhere. That certainly makes sense and I can applaud them for making that choice.

You're an odd duck thats for sure.  No offense intended, just an observation.  Another observation, you are playing TSW to tide you over unto GW2 is released, thus you must like something about it; yet your posts lead me to believe you don't.

I checked, because of the red areas I highlighted.  I honestly thought you were trolling and had never played the game, yet you pre purchased a while ago... so you have.

I've played a lot of this game in beta, and I made the intentional choice to not play much of the personal story at all.  I did a little of the Norn and a little of the Human.  The reason I highlighted those sections of your post, is based off all indications I have so far, the very first few scenes of your personal story have nothing to do with your Class, only your Race and starting place (for humans, street, common, noble).  After maybe 4 or 5 segments of story, the thing you regreted the most played a part...

Anyhow, story does not appear to be class based at all.  Now, I agree that I had a huge disconnect from the Norn story, and the Charr story area was not to my liking.  The Human Noble story however I found interesting and fluid, with good voice acting.

My wife played the commoner story, and it also seemed to be done decently.  In beta, I think most people can talk about 9 story arcs (3 for each of the 3 races) and some of us could have had an additional 3 arcs thrown in (for the 3 things you picked at the end).  Anyhow, was to little of the story to judge, and being most my characters were doing well in their teens and getting into the 20's, and I ignored the story on all but 2 of them, you don't need it to play.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

As an edit to the above post, my wife and I wish you could change the voice of YOUR character, as it was often that it did not match the voice in our head.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

The starter zone looks nothing short of AMAZING, its so beautiful and the character creation looked like lots of fun, can't wait for BWE3. First I had thought about sticking with a human main but after seeing the Sylvari CC and their starter area im gonna have one for sure, possibly just so I can enjoy the beauty of the starter zone.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

My excitement about GW2 gone after I started playing TSW

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

I don't want to get spoiled, I'm going to try asura/elementalist on the last beta weekend. I'm going to be Sylvari at launch/early access for sure.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• YsterathYsterath Member Posts: 2

Was leaning towards Norn hunter but might have to reconsider now

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Finally, some GW2 coverage! Awesome article.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

To OP: Have you noticed a better game performance?

I mean.... is it better optimized yet? Thnx ;)

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

What a massive, massive waste of lore.  So they are completely different...plant, not animal.  Born from a tree.  A completely different kind of organism.  Yeah!

Then you see them walking around, and they are just people with leaves on.  They are born from a tree but for some reason they have sexes, and male and females have the kind of organs that mammals have...what a complete waste of lore only to make humans running around in plant costumes.

I will exterminate these stupid abominations without prejudice.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by bansan

What a massive, massive waste of lore.  So they are completely different...plant, not animal.  Born from a tree.  A completely different kind of organism.  Yeah!

Then you see them walking around, and they are just people with leaves on.  They are born from a tree but for some reason they have sexes, and male and females have the kind of organs that mammals have...what a complete waste of lore only to make humans running around in plant costumes.

Actually they mimic humans...that´s why they look so alike.

• mandark91mandark91 Member UncommonPosts: 58

Bansan you made my day =)))

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by bansan

lol

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

the mesmer robe is amazing :O

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by lilHeala
    Originally posted by Kilsin

I was quite interested in the Sylvari as I am think of playing a Ranger as one of my main classes, but after seeing that video, I am not so sure now. I do not like the starting area very much, I am not sure what it reminds me of but I just do not like it.

I wish I could choose Sylvari and start some where else.

You can, except for the very first tutorial part which only takes like 15 mins. Straight after you can hit the Be In The Mists button on the hero pvp panel, take the portal to LA and from there take the portal to any other starter area. Just the personal story will be a problem then. Just curious what makes you connect ranger to Sylvari? A ranger of other races is cool too... Is it that Legolas image in your head?

Yeah nice, I didn't even think of doing that, thanks.

I have played a Human Ranger for every beta so far and just associate rangers with nature, the whole forest theme, it's just my personal take on them, so I thought a Sylvari would be a good choice but I am also happy with a human ranger.

The Sylvari starting area looks a bit over done for a nature theme, I know others will love it and hate me for saying that but I just can't make it work in my head for some reason.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

I'm honestly not trying to be childish  in this post (feel free to check my post history) but was it really necessary to offer the mushroom hairstyle option?  How many ways can we expect to see a variation of the name "mushroom tip" or "Toad" as a result of that one aesthetic?  It's like the new dawn of Legolas.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I got a key to play GW2 this weekend, where do I go to register and download the beta client?

nvm, just found it lol

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

All looks interesting, I just wish you had made a preview video of the female characters too, ah well.  Get to see it soon anyways :p

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Sylvari Engineer anyone?

who say Sylvari are only proper with Elementalist and Ranger?

Engineer Sylvari looks bad ass!

So What Now?