Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WIll I like GW2?

design1314design1314 Member Posts: 13

Hi, I've never played GW1 and I always wanted to play a MMORPG. I love WOW but I want to try something new, similar gameplay but new enivoriment. Kotaku was giving out 200 beta keys but I was not lucky enough to register on time so I am asking for your opinions of this game. I've read reviews of GW2 but here are some questions that I have:

1) Is the game linear like FF13? Or open like WOW?

2) I know GW's endgame is mostly based on PvP, let's say I enjoy PvE more, will there be an endgame for PvE players? ie: group up with friends and do PvE?

3) I read that the layout the world map is huge, are there a lot of secrets? Like the cow, pont lvl in D2, D3?

4) How are the lvling and quests like? I heard it lvls real fast and end game grinding is all about the cosmetic of your outfits? Are the quests like WOW?

5) Will this game be "Pay to Win" like D3? How does the auction house, 3rd party For Sale sites differ from D3?

Please add anything that you find the game interests you~  Thx!

Comments

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME

Pretty much all the information we have about the game. I'm sure others will give you more to the point answers to your questions, but I still suggest you read through the thread. :)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Just by the fact that you are looking for something different from WoW, I would get GW2.  The fact that it has no sub fee makes it a no brainer must buy.  I would get started by watching a bunch of youtube vids on GW2.

I will let the other posters specifically answer your questions.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by design1314

Neither

2) I know GW's endgame is mostly based on PvP, let's say I enjoy PvE more, will there be an endgame for PvE players? ie: group up with friends and do PvE?

GW's endgame is not PvP centric. Unless that is what you like. If you like to go for achievements there is a ton of PvE stuff to do.

3) I read that the layout the world map is huge, are there a lot of secrets? Like the cow, pont lvl in D2, D3?

I don't think there a is a "cow level" but there are some hidden areas and platforming puzzles to do.

4) How are the lvling and quests like? I heard it lvls real fast and end game grinding is all about the cosmetic of your outfits? Are the quests like WOW?

No.

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157

Hi, I've never played GW1 and I always wanted to play a MMORPG. I love WOW but I want to try something new, similar gameplay but new enivoriment. Kotaku was giving out 200 beta keys but I was not lucky enough to register on time so I am asking for your opinions of this game. I've read reviews of GW2 but here are some questions that I have:

It is open like WoW..and I would even say it is more open than WoW..with all the dynamic stuff going on and the WvWvW

Yes there is a lot of endgame for PVE. Please make no mistake: Both PvE and PvP are equally represented in this game!

Pve Endgame: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/324689481

Yes the game has a large portion that is based on exploration and secrets..like jumping puzzles and hidden bosses 

No the quests aren't like Wow. The questing mechanic is dynamic meaning that you can go out in the world and see a village getting attacked by trolls. If you leave them be, the village is destroyed. If you deafeat them, the villagers will thank you. But almost never will there be a quest NPC with an "!" above its head!

for more information go to: wiki.guildwars2.com

and yes this game is gonna be awesome :) Everything intrests me in this game

There you go :)

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Best answer i can give besides the ones that have already been said is, read up on the game with the stickies on these forums and try to get to the next BWE (it will be the final one) and see for yourself.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

1) Is the game linear like FF13? Or open like WOW? Both FF13 and WoW are both linear, btw.

Guild Wars 2 is fairly open. There is a linear lvl progression (you lvl 1-80), but aside from that you are pretty free to do whatever. If you felt like WoW was open, then you'll definitely feel like GW2 is an open world. No doubt.

This is actually a misconception. Basically, the way GW2 works, is content stays relevant. So as you lvl up, you aren't leaving previous parts of the game behind, but rather opening up new areas. So at lvl 80, instead of only have 8 zones to experience, you have the entire game. This means you will still be doing events, exploring, jumping puzzles, dungeons, world bosses, etc. It's just not based around a gear grind.

Instead of a gear grind it's more of a customization based endgame. You will be trying to get the coolest looking stuff in the game, refining your builds, etc.

This isn't to say that PvP isn't an option at endgame, because it absolutely is, and is a ton of fun, but the game isn't based around that as endgame. It's simply yet another feature you can choose to partake in, or not.

Well, there's no cow lvl (that I know of), but yes there is a ton of secrets. Also, keep in mind that the game is based around Dynamic Events (these are not the same as heart quests). So a lot of the time, there are 'secret' Dynamic Events that you would not notice without going out, exploring, and looking for things happening around you. This could be an NPC you never noticed, or a mysterious crack in the wall, or a part of a wall that looks like you might be able to climb up and go somewhere.

The quests are not like WoW. Leveling is fairly quick, but it really all depends on what you are doing. The game isn't really based around grinding, though that is one way to play it. The best thing I can say is that this game is really for explorers, and PvPers. If you like either of those, you will have a lot of fun. On the PvE side it's all about going out into the world and discovering new things. This is how you get most of the rewards. A lot of players are still in that mindset of rushing through lvls to get the best gear / max lvl. Playing this way causes you to miss a LOT of stuff (both gear, content, achievements, and hidden treasures).

It may seem counter-intuitive, but you are actually rewarded more for going around and doing random things. You get exp for all kinds of things, and are rewarded for doing a variety of different things more than you would be repeating the same thing over and over. That's actually one of the slowest ways to lvl.

Also, I would highly recommend getting this concept of 'endgame' out of your head for this game. It's not just about cosmetic rewards, but yes, that's part of it. Think of it kind of like arkham city, or zelda, or darksiders. 'Endgame' means you have the entire game world opened up to you, and can go wherever you want. You can do whatever you want. If you want to grind for comsetic items, great, but that's not the only thing you can do. There's crafting recipes to explore, secrets to find, events to help out in, rare items / merchants to discover, dungeons, you can try and get the right gear to min/max your build, do WvW, etc. etc. etc. This is not a game that funnels you into a very narrow set of tasks. Instead it does the exact opposite. The further into the game you get, the more of it you get to experience. (Even going back to lvl 1 areas is viable, and can yield some interesting rewards)

Answered in quote.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Open ended. After the first few minutes of instanced play, you can pretty much go anywhere. There are 5 racial starting zones to level in until you get "big enough" to travel more. You can explore all you like (though you may risk mob agro, just like WoW), and there are lots of places with quests not based on killing so you can even be getting XP while in areas too high for you to kill in.

I hate the whole "end game" idea, since it detracts from the "now game". Enjoy what you are doing now and don't worry about end game. Besides, with the down-level feature, all zones will stay relevant to you.

In the beta weekends I managed to find some interesting things, I won't call them secrets or easter eggs or anything like that, but very interesting.

It levelled fast in the beta weekends, but that doesn't mean it will in live (I'm hoping they turn the XP down a little).

The quests are interesting. There ARE a few fetch quests, but they are done by area. If you are all alone it may take a while, but usually there are many people working on them and you get credit for what you've done. Most quests fall under more of a "this area needs help" heading and any of the things you do will help the area, some may be listed in the description, some are not (and it's fun to find these). And again, many of these are being done by multiple people and you get credit for your part. More often than not, when a quest is done you get the credit right there without having to speak to anyone. Although there are people you can speak to to find out what an area needs done, you don't have to speak to them first before just jumping in.

No one can say what endgame will be, no one's done it. Because of down-levelling, all zones and dungeons will still be viable to a level 80 player, and I imagine content will be added throughout.

I played WoW for years, I played EQ for years before that. I loved both games in their time, but for me that time is past. I never played Guild Wars, other than about 25 minutes in a demo, not playing it will have no effect on playing GW2. Like not playing Warcraft had no effect on playing World of Warcraft.

I love GW2 (I probably have about 70 hours played). I love the graphics, I love the mechanics, I love a couple of the classes (and like many of the others enough to play alts).

I do think a gaming mouse with multiple thumb buttons makes the game go much smoother (because you are moving pretty much all the time). I won't say it's required, but it certainly helps me.

• design1314design1314 Member Posts: 13

Wow , thanks for the replies :)

Also please answer this:

Will the game fell like Pay to Win like D3? How will it differ since GW2 will also have a built in Auctin House, and trade forums...etc.

Are the in game gold, loot shared between toons?

What server will be players from Taiwan using? Can they play on the US server? Thanks.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Kotaku was giving out 200 beta keys but I was not lucky enough to register on time so I am asking for your opinions of this game.

someone get the op a beta key heh

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

FF13 isn't an MMO, so I don't know what that's doing in there. GW2 is potentially more open than WoW because you aren't directed by quests. If you focus exclusively on your main storyline, however, it could seem about as linear as WoW.

There is a lot of PvE content. You'll want to read about dungeons for small groups of friends.

Yes. We don't know if there is specifically a "cow level", but they've hidden tons of stuff around the world. There are a lot of hidden areas.

You do level pretty quickly compared to other games, and yes, the end game is primarily about getting that specific look.

GW2 doesn't have quests outside your personal story, in which you will only ever have one mission at a time. In place of quests they have dynamic events and renown hearts.

Events are like the anti-quest. They are things that just happen in the world that anyone can participate in. Unlike quests, the objectives are tied to the event itself rather than individual players. If there is a quest to kill 10 rats, each player must kill 10 rats. If there is an event to kill 10 rats, the event is completed when 10 rats are killed, regardless of who killed them.

Renown hearts are very similar to quests, but you don't have to talk to the NPC beforehand, the objectives are very flexible, and the rewards are mailed to you.

5) Will this game be "Pay to Win" like D3? How does the auction house, 3rd party For Sale sites differ from D3?

There are some similarities, but there are two extremely important differences. GW2 has "gems" that can be purchased with real money. Gems can be spent on special items (such as 1-hour XP boosters or hats) or sold to other players for gold. This means that gems can also be purchased with gold, which means you get buy anything in the cash shop without actually spending any real money. With all this in mind, you could theoretically indirectly buy any item on the Trading Post with real money.

The first major difference is the end game. In D3, there is a heavy emphasis on getting better and better gear, and the difference in power between a good max level piece of gear and an amazing max level piece of gear is tremendous. In GW2, every piece of max level gear is even in power. There's no "best" item to buy on the Trading Post, so spending real money to get what you want doesn't make you any more powerful.

The other major difference is that there is no way to "cash out". You can by absolutely no means exchange anything for real money in GW2. You can buy gems for real money, but you cannot sell them for real money.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

loaded question if i ever saw one

thats like asking whether you will like gatorade over water they both work just one tastes better

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

All this week on their Twitter channel at https://twitter.com/guildwars2 you'll find that they're giving away Beta Keys.  Just watch it (with the wiki open in another page) and try to win one.  Besides that, it'll give direction to any other sites giving away keys too.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Will the game fell like Pay to Win like D3? How will it differ since GW2 will also have a built in Auctin House, and trade forums...etc.

short answer no -- but can read a big discussion on it

Is it me or GW2 PAY 2 WIN game?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356130

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Wow , thanks for the replies :) Also please answer this:Will the game fell like Pay to Win like D3? How will it differ since GW2 will also have a built in Auctin House, and trade forums...etc.Are the in game gold, loot shared between toons?What server will be players from Taiwan using? Can they play on the US server? Thanks.

There is an in-game item shop. So far the only items there are cosmetic and XP boosters. I don't believe there are any plans to allow for stat gear to be sold there (and it goes against all their promises). That would mean it's not P2W, since the best you can do is speed your levelling.

You have an in game bank, all bank slots are shared between all toons, and you can deposit money into your bank with one toon and take it out with another. In beta events you could not mail to another of your own toons (my one gripe since when I get a good drop for an alt I would rather mail it than run back to the bank).

There is no auction house, in that there are no auctions. Trade is done more like commodities. You put items up for sale with a buy price (but no auction price). Other players may either buy OR place a buy order with the price they are willing to pay. Another player selling may either accept someone's buy order (selling the item to them at the price they were willing to pay for it), or list their items for sale just at the price they want to get.

I don't know yet about over seas players playing on US servers, but I think it will be allowed. And frankly with the way WvWvW works, will probably be encouraged to help hold or take ground during our night.

• rich9995rich9995 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by aesperus

Also, I would highly recommend getting this concept of 'endgame' out of your head for this game. It's not just about cosmetic rewards, but yes, that's part of it. Think of it kind of like arkham city, or zelda, or darksiders. 'Endgame' means you have the entire game world opened up to you, and can go wherever you want. You can do whatever you want. If you want to grind for comsetic items, great, but that's not the only thing you can do. There's crafting recipes to explore, secrets to find, events to help out in, rare items / merchants to discover, dungeons, you can try and get the right gear to min/max your build, do WvW, etc. etc. etc. This is not a game that funnels you into a very narrow set of tasks. Instead it does the exact opposite. The further into the game you get, the more of it you get to experience. (Even going back to lvl 1 areas is viable, and can yield some interesting rewards)

This was well put, .. something to add  

In GW2 you just wander around the world, while goals and quests just starting popping up, sometimes multiple quests or achievement oriented quests of different kinds.   I could see how some people that are accustomed to WoW or D2/D3 may find themselves wondering "what do I do now?"  or 'where do I go now".. So you must embrace the freedom and enjoy the variety and randomness of the adventure, and not be concerned with standard exclamation point hunting progression or that you may not be on the 'correct' path.. it's your path, probably different than everyone elses

I'm sure there'll be plenty of end game pve to keep you going, plenty of expansions to come I'm sure as well.

Answered in quote.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

During beta events players were allowed to play on servers outside of their region with no trouble.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

During beta events players were allowed to play on servers outside of their region with no trouble.

Indeed, it is only the log-in procces that is region locked

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Wow , thanks for the replies :)

Also please answer this:

Are the in game gold, loot shared between toons?

What server will be players from Taiwan using? Can they play on the US server? Thanks.

It is very easy to get the most powerful gear in game. The grind is in getting unique appearances, not more powerful gear. So no, it will not be Pay to Win because of the auction house. It will also not be Pay to Win from the cash shop, as this will only sell cosmetic and convenience stuff, nothing that provides any advantage in dungeons or PvP.

Loot is given on an individual basis. Other people in the group do not see what you get, and you do not see what they get.

Everyone in the world aside from Europe will be on the US servers.

You guys have answered all my questions in details :)

I really think I am going to preorder this game today to gain beta access... Will the character transfer over from beta when the game is out?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

You guys have answered all my questions in details :)

I really think I am going to preorder this game today to gain beta access... Will the character transfer over from beta when the game is out?

My educated guess is No.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

A) Before I answer, let me say that you don't need to have played GW1 to enjoy GE2, and in some cases it might help. They are wildly different animals.

1)  Much closer to wow. There are loading screens for the zones (unlike WoW's "hidden" zone loading"), but the zones themselves are very large. They also are not linear...the personal story quests are, but all other contact can be experienced at any level equivalent to it or lower. If I wanted to come back to the Charr starting area as a level 80 human and get their DEs done, I could, and would get relevant xp and loot.

2) There are dungeons and such, and you can continue doing DEs and heart quests and explore. But there is no raiding in the traditional sense.

3) There are quite a few secrets and things to explore.

4) Quests are both similar and dissimilar to WoW. The general tasks are the same: Kill, locate, retrieve, transport, escort, defend. The mechanics however are more open ended, with there often being multiple ways to complete a quest. In many cases, how you complete it (and IF you succeed) will spawn new quests. Unlike WoW, you are encouraged to help others, as you both get credit for each others kills, full xp and quite often both get loot. Cooperation is a lovely thing.

5) I would say no. You will find varying answers here. The cash shop provides two different boosts that increase the xp gained from monster kills (which are easily the smallest percentage of where your xp comes from, you can get more faster crafting). There are also increases to karma (like WoW's justice points) gain, auto-repairs, and a lot of cosmetic things. None of them in my eyes can effect the balance of the game.

The auction house is mostly like WoW's, for a reference point. Not sure what you mean by third party.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage
    In GW2, every piece of max level gear is even in power. There's no "best" item to buy on the Trading Post, so spending real money to get what you want doesn't make you any more powerful.

I really think this is a common misconception with how gear is going to work in GW2. When you hit level 80 and you are wearing all white items, you are not in the "best gear" even if it is level 80. You are going to have to work to get exotic/unique stuff by doing dungeons and what not. But the mythic/epic/whatever gear is not going to be better than the exotic.

But a white/blue piece of gear isn't going to be as good as a green piece at 80 ... I am not sure when the stat increases will stop, but they are not going to be all equal even at max level. You are going to have to work for it ... just like you have to work on your gear as you are leveling up. It isn't just handed out for free each level.

If it isn't handed to you at level 10, it is most definitely not going to be handed to you at level 80.

Does anyone have a spare beta key to give me? I would be appreciated ^_-

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Does anyone have a spare beta key to give me? I would be appreciated ^_-

Just today alone I've seen a ton of people giving away keys. It is up to you to grab them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygfslGlolHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tN4-MvznY

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

1) It's much more open then both, From level 1 you have tons of options of things you can do, sPvP, WvW, Dynamic Events, Story, Mini Games, Hearts, Challenges, Tons of exploring, the list goes on.

2) Abso-freakin-lutely,  Orr is going to be a big PvE endgame, think of storming the beaches of normandy but in a fantasy setting with dragons and other crazy shit

3) Tons, it's a big part of the world

4) Not even a little bit, my biggest gripe of mmos is how lame the questing is, in GW2 there are no quests, at least not what you're used to, there's certain guide lines to keep you on track if you want it that way, but mostly just go out in the world and shit happens all around you

5) No it won't, And if it is then Arena Net will have directly lied to every one of their fans,  The Cash shop should include absolutely nothing besides cosmetic and convenience items.

As for adding anything else that interests me about it I would be writing for (no joke) about 4 hours, just look into it man.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?