Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The FIVE BEST MMORPGs

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Duplicate post

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Duplicate

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

I thought this was going to be one of those threads where everybody talks about the games they like. Instead, I read the OP and wanted to bang my head against a wall. TSW is doesn't even have an endgame that we know of. Age of Conan is garbage.. if it came out in 2003 it might be OK, but it's clunky. Go buy the expansion off a shelf and then try to install it? Doesn't work, does it? Just one example of failure. Warhammer is way, way overpriced... and GW2 isn't out yet.

I get a very real sense that the OP is a Funcom employee saying "If you think you'll love GW2, you'll really love TSW instead." Give me a break!

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

My five (in no particular order):

WoW (vanilla, BC and WotLK upto Ulduar. Cataclysm really killed the game for me)

Anarchy Online (my first MMO :)

Rift

TSW (I know its new but I'm really really enjoying it right now)

Fallen Earth

I can't comment on EQ, AC, DAoC etc since I didn't play MMOs back then due to lack of credit card (and there was no pre-paid cards back then). 

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

Warhammer AoR is a special case and it's going to be tough to put it in any list.

It has evolved from an all around, a bit for everyone's game, to today's hardcore PvP/RvR game.

If you want a game where you don't have to PVE anymore and start to

PvP (scenarios)

RvR (lakes with the 1.4.0 campaign revamp)

at level 1-5

and enjoy the brutality of what's going on

then

1. Warhammer online AoR

2. don't care

3. don't care

4. don't care

5. don't care

There's no morality, fair fight, equally balanced numbers on both side, in warhammer.

There's only the war left and today you're going to stomp while tomorrow you'll get stomped.

I'll also suggest to anyone that hasn't played warhammer since 1.4.0 (they finaly finished to fix the powergap in T4 since last patch) to avoid commenting on todays warhammer's game/gameplay. You wouldn't recognize it, except the still existing bugs and not working as intended.

Nidwin

I <3 my Magus

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

1) Tabula Rasa. (I had to..I havent had so much fun in fps since that one)

2) World of Warcraft

3) Warhammer Online (The Trial had ruined the game basically.. so I wish they'd just make it f2p so the population would be more balanced once again.. )

4) SWG.

5) Vanguard.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

1. Eve

2. Warhammer Online AOR

3. The Secret World

4.none

5.none

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

people added TSW as 5 of the best mmo

the game is not even one month live , lets see your opinion after  6 months of play

i'm sure if the thread was in 2011 you would put SWTOR

1) The fourth Coming

my very first mmo , had good memories

2) GW1

i know its not a real mmo , i still like it for the pvp

3) Atlantica Online

the game would be awesome without the crap cash shop

4) LOTRO

the lore and community was great

5) Wow

i have to admit  Wow has a lot of contents and changed the history of mmo , hate it or love it , you cant ignore this game

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

1. Everquest thru the first 3 exp packs- take EQ as it was then, harsh death penalty, corpse runs, trains and all, remake it with todays graphics and animations and I would play nothing else.

2. DAoC- RvR before they allowed cross realming and RP servers where names and ooc conversation was actually enforced,what a great game that was, redo the graphics and reverse some of the bad decisions and this one would be popular today IMO

3. Anarchy Online- deepest character progression of all MMos, started bad but turned into a gem, still play the F2P as a back up game

4. Rift- nice well made game, great devs

5. WoW- what can you say, its the best and the worst all wraped into one

Godz of War I call Thee

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

My 5 are as follows..

1. Darkfall

2. Mortal Online

3. SWG

4. Age of Conan

5. TSW

I can see TSW taking over age of conan...

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Tonin109

the game is not even one month live , lets see your opinion after  6 months of play

What does longevity have to do with quality. So, unless a game give sme 500+ hours of fun, it's not good?

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

I have probably just played 5 MMOs in total so im not in a position to make a personal list but I have to say that one of the best is for sure Anarchy Online. Sure, lots of people love to take a dump on this game but the total experience was awesome.

What I think Funcom should have done was Anarchy Online 2 and not AoC or TSW, they had a wonderful concept going with AO and should have made an evolution of that rather than straying away from it.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

What does longevity have to do with quality. So, unless a game give sme 500+ hours of fun, it's not good?

He means you need to let the honeymoon phase settle a bit before you claim something is in your "best 5 ever".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

you dont get the point, fan boys from SWTOR claimed it was the best mmo they had blast bla bla bla

and so far i dont see this game in any list, people keep playing this game but its dying

so its funny people claim TSW one of the best mmo just after some days of play, the game is pretty new and buggy

combat system very bad if you compare to TERA or GW2 , i still want to play this game but to claim its one of the best i dont think so

that's why make a real opinion after some months of play 

• Xin1Xin1 Member Posts: 34

Not easy to make a top 5 list in a specific order.  I'll just post the 5 mmo's i have enjoyed the most so far.

Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Dark Age of Camelot, Lord of the Rings Online, Guild Wars 2

All have their pro's and con's, but they all have given me a fantastic experience so far and differ themselves from all the rest i find.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by GTwander

He means you need to let the honeymoon phase settle a bit before you claim something is in your "best 5 ever".

Sorry, my bad. I was simply counting on the quality of the game itself. I don't believe i have to have months upon months of fun to like  a game, including mmorpgs.

But yes, i forgot the "best ever" part. Fair enough.

it's not good?

you dont get the point, fan boys from SWTOR claimed it was the best mmo they had blast bla bla bla

and so far i dont see this game in any list, people keep playing this game but its dying

so its funny people claim TSW one of the best mmo just after some days of play, the game is pretty new and buggy

combat system very bad if you compare to TERA or GW2 , i still want to play this game but to claim its one of the best i dont think so

that's why make a real opinion after some months of play 

Well I would not call the combat system bad, its jsut as good as GW2 or any other tab based system.. Tera is different as its more more of an action combat system.. but compare that to the combat system of Darkfall and Mortal online nad tera is lacking quite a bit..

I can quite happily put TSW in my top 5 as I have been playing it through beta and now since launch and its some of the best fun i have had in a themepark game for a very long time and its not gonna stop anytime soon.... been playing MMORPGs since EQ..

I am only a casual player and trying to play through every bit of content and not rushing to end game as i see now point in that as all..

Originally posted by Caldrin

Well I would not call the combat system bad, its jsut as good as GW2 or any other tab based system.. Tera is different as its more more of an action combat system.. but compare that to the combat system of Darkfall and Mortal online nad tera is lacking quite a bit..

I'm gonna get it for saying this, but IMO, Tera is better than Darkfall, but not as good as Mortal.

At least in terms of melee.

Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I'm gonna get it for saying this, but IMO, Tera is better than Darkfall, but not as good as Mortal.

At least in terms of melee.

Its a hard one i dont like the way tera makes you stand still when you attack it seems odd, Darkfalls just flows better.. I think that MOs melee combat system is a lot better than Darkfalls tho :)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by cesmode8

Eve is the only legit contender for greatest of all time.  Its been around longer than any mmo, including WoW, and has the most loyal playerbase. 

This is actually wrong. The longest around MMORPG (with uninterrupted service) is Ultima Online, and it beats EVE by a good 7 years.

Exactly, ty.

I don't think The Realm had interrupted service. . I left it for UO when it launched although it may have still been in beta?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

@Caldrin

Yeah, but it's more visible depending on class type. Warriors can skirt around a target while swinging and slayers can cancel out to dodge quickly enough, while lancer only has a forward pushing motion and zerker sits still the entire time.

@GTwander

Yeah it just seemed very limited to me.. but i guess it is a class based themepark game in the end.. :) Teras combat system was a step in the right direction for themepark games..

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    In no particular order:

1. DaoC
    2. LotrO
    3. AoC
    4. CoH
    5. AC
  • PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

1 - Lineage 1 - the last true sandbox MMO live in the world, 100% player driven economy-politics, with almost 1 million subscribers in Asia currently, and it's still P2P in east. But unfortunatelly, dead in west.

2 - Lineage Eternal - not released yet, but NC wants to bring the old L1 style back, and I hope to experience the old L1 drama when Eternal comes here.

3 - Blade & SOul due to its mechanics and gameplay, but putting it aside, it semms to be a WoW clone.

4 - Lineage 2, it is not great as L1, but it still had a good drama and great sieges, I hope with the Glory Days update NC can bring all the drama of the old L2 days back, lost after GoD update.

5 -  I won't say anything, all MMOS I've played lately were WoW clones, focused in a game campaing where you reach level cap in 1 week via quests, and after that, you play in instanced rooms for multipayer content, doing the same arenas over and over.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

UO
    SWG
    FFXI
    AC
    EQ