Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Sylvari Experience

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Last week, MMORPG.com staff had the opportunity to check out the Sylvari starter zone in an exclusive first look at what the final beta weekend for Guild Wars 2 will entail. We've got some terrific reports and footage so keep reading!

These aren’t your everyday elves, that’s for sure. Like Garrett, I had the special chance to play as the Sylvari during this past week in Guild Wars 2. I didn’t really expect to have but a passing interest in the plant-like creatures of Tyria, but now having had the chance to dabble around Caledor Forest and Grove (their home city) I can’t help but think I’ll be rolling an Elementalist or Ranger as a Sylvari at the end of August. Make no mistake, the Sylvari are ArenaNet’s answer to the elven race in its fantasy setting. But as a player who’s long grown tired of the Legolas mystique nerd culture seems to be caught up in, I’m happy to report that these beings who are quite literally one with nature are gorgeous, haunting, and downright fun when you get down to brass tacks.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: The Sylvari Experience.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157

I can't wait to create one for the upcoming betaweekend :)

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

I am in the same boat as you. While the Sylvari was not a point of interest for me, I can not deny how well done every race is in Guild Wars 2.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107

Hauting?

r.i.p. c!

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

im excited!

• unfetteredunfettered Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Game looks great.  Only reservation is the "personal storylines" thing, because I have been burned by recent MMO after MMO with the devs wanting to play my character for me.  Hopefully, the personal storyline thing is not on-rails.

Otherwise, this looks like a major AAA title and may hold me over until EQ Next or beyond.

it's like a choose your own adventure book. your story and mine will be different based on our beginning choices(and further choices made in game) like branches on a tree. we could both make female charr warriors and have a different story.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Game looks great.  Only reservation is the "personal storylines" thing, because I have been burned by recent MMO after MMO with the devs wanting to play my character for me.  Hopefully, the personal storyline thing is not on-rails.

Otherwise, this looks like a major AAA title and may hold me over until EQ Next or beyond.

In the personal story, the devs will pretty much be playing your character for you. There are some obvious choices you can make, and some not so obvious one that you'll find if you search for them (nothing pointing towards them and saying "Hey, you can do something with this!"). I found a prisoner in a bandit hideout that was not related to the part of the storyline in anyway, and when I went talking to them, I realized I could actually help them escape. I've got no clue how this effects things down the line though, but I'm eager to find out. Most of the time though, you'll get no choice in dialogue, and the writing is not always stellar. I personally don't mind it, but I can see how this could be an issue for some people.

On the positive side, you can completely skip your personal story if you so wish, and not lose out on anything critical in terms of rewards. Dungeons are a separate part from personal storyline, so you won't miss out on them if you chooce not to do any personal story.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Although Sylvari is the one race I really don't want to get to spoiled for I couldn't resist reading this experience (ignoring the vids though). And I'm glad I did because the amount of folks making bad jokes about the race and not taking it seriously like the other races was getting old and starting to annoy me slightly. So it's good to see you got converted and I hope many will follow :)

Personally, ever since the blog post by Ree Soesbee detailing the race's background story I've been psyched for it and decided it would be my main. It's a race I can easily identify with because a pet peeve of mine is that IRL many adults take too many things for granted and stop wondering about why things are like they are as opposed to children that still have a fresh look towards life and question everything (often much to the annoyance of their parents :D ) Sylvari being a young race are in many ways naive / unknowing / curious like these children. Although I'm usually not really an active RP'er I think I'll naturally start to when on my main Sylvari elementalist.

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

I know this is in beta, so I'm sure the characters won't be sinking into the ground up to their ankles for too much longer will they?

Even so, I did just pre-order my copy.

• unfetteredunfettered Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by unfettered

it's like a choose your own adventure book. your story and mine will be different based on our beginning choices(and further choices made in game) like branches on a tree. we could both make female charr warriors and have a different story.

I'm fine with "story" being "what I've done", but generally have a real problem with it being "future pre-written chapters".  Hope it's more of the former; not into this predestination thing.

it''s clearly pre-written as far as recorded lines..as far as what happens in it that's up to you. there is no "charr story" there is no "warrior story". it's all choice based, and you can see the consequences of those choices in your home instance(this is a part of your racial city that reflects your story progression and choices permanently). put it like this, there may be a finite number(high though based on combinations) of ways it'll end, but it's not mass effect or swtor where he choices are cosmetic illusions leading to the same exact ending event. there is multiple endings, multiple possible conclusions. 

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

There are quite a number of things about this game which really give me a DAoC vibe and the Sylvari are no exception.  They are very similar to the sylvans.  Now if I could just make a valewalker that isn't weak as hell in PVP and go seige some castles, I would be stoked.  Either way, I am signed up for the final beta and I can't wait to check it out.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Ya this will be my main chars race =-)

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Yet again ArenaNet delivers and puts other MMOs and developers to shame ( poor Bioware )

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

When I first saw pictures of the Sylvari I though "Cool, now I get to be an Ent!" ( and go to Divinity's Reach-their version of Minas Tirith). What Tolkien would call an Olvar.. Calling them Elves minimizes them. Even in LOTRO you can't be an Ent.

I think the Asura are the Elves in this game-although  they are Noldor Elves rather than the usual Sindar/Grey Elves that you always see.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

I was quite interested in the Sylvari as I am think of playing a Ranger as one of my main classes, but after seeing that video, I am not so sure now. I do not like the starting area very much, I am not sure what it reminds me of but I just do not like it.

I wish I could choose Sylvari and start some where else.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Kilsin

I was quite interested in the Sylvari as I am think of playing a Ranger as one of my main classes, but after seeing that video, I am not so sure now. I do not like the starting area very much, I am not sure what it reminds me of but I just do not like it.

I wish I could choose Sylvari and start some where else.

You can, except for the very first tutorial part which only takes like 15 mins. Straight after you can hit the Be In The Mists button on the hero pvp panel, take the portal to LA and from there take the portal to any other starter area. Just the personal story will be a problem then. Just curious what makes you connect ranger to Sylvari? A ranger of other races is cool too... Is it that Legolas image in your head?

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Liltawen

When I first saw pictures of the Sylvari I though "Cool, now I get to be an Ent!" ( and go to Divinity's Reach-their version of Minas Tirith). What Tolkien would call an Olvar.. Calling them Elves minimizes them. Even in LOTRO you can't be an Ent.

I agree with your elves comment. Sylvari aren't your typical "elf" type humanoid from fantasy. Often times elves are the eldest race and far more often some of the wisest of all creatures as well. The Sylvari are the absolute youngest race of pretty much anything in the GW universe. Only been around for 25 years, aren't really haughty and elf like at all. They are wickedly curious about the world around them, and seem to want to experience everything. What was especially interesting for me in the books (minor spoiler) was the fascination with death, since no Sylvari has died of natural causes. There's no telling what the ultimate natual lifespan is for a Sylvari.

Out of all of the races, the Sylvari do interest me the most, simply because they are an open book. There's no deep history to delve into, the actions of those in the world will begin to write a history of the Sylvari, and we get to witness it.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

If only they would have given me a key...

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I love the Sylvari, it's my favorite race.

I have a guild if anyone want to join my Sylvari guild, here is the website: http://goldenleaves.shivtr.com/

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by saker

If only they would have given me a key...

There has been a ridiculous amount of beta keys being thrown around lately that if you haven't acquired one yet, then it's your own fault.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

Wonderful! I fell in love with the Sylvari after the redesign. I can't wait for BWE3!

• SoldarithSoldarith Member Posts: 184

Up until this point both myself and my spouse are thoroughly disappointed with Guild Wars 2. While the combat combo mechanics are interesting, the story lines, story telling, and voice-overs are some of the worst we have seen or heard in an MMO; ever!

Story is a major turn off in this title and we're not sure we will be able to stumble through the game with it in its current form.

All the characters you encounter, through the multiple classes and races we've played, have been completely uninteresting, bland, and just plain boring -- And the voice-overs equally! We have not come across a single interesting NPC yet. And as far as personal stories are concerned, the cut scenes (with large in progress stickers on each of them) included, are just uninspiring and often just too convoluted to follow -- Its far easier to just give up and hit "skip" than listen to another terrible voice acting scene.

With recent previously released MMOs which are heavy on story and excellent voice acting, along with great cut scenes, I wonder if this will damn GW2.

I believe the only single saving grace for this game is that it does not require a monthly subscription. I truly believe this is the only reason the game will do well. Sure the environments are nice, the adhoc quest system is cool, and the convoluted combos you can come up with in combat are interesting. But the story being told is just down-right awful and the voice acting along with it.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

from experience i can tell you it was very not on rails but still kinda linear your pretty well kept in a small area while your story goes on and it is considered a instance as its your personal story and to leave you must click the leave instance button.

though i didnt have to do it in fact i didnt start my story quests if you can call them that til i hit lvl 14 i never did pick up a "quest"

just stuff sorta happens and you help or you dont

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Soldarith

Up until this point both myself and my spouse are thoroughly disappointed with Guild Wars 2. While the combat combo mechanics are interesting, the story lines, story telling, and voice-overs are some of the worst we have seen or heard in an MMO; ever!

Story is a major turn off in this title and we're not sure we will be able to stumble through the game with it in its current form.

All the characters you encounter, through the multiple classes and races we've played, have been completely uninteresting, bland, and just plain boring -- And the voice-overs equally! We have not come across a single interesting NPC yet. And as far as personal stories are concerned, the cut scenes (with large in progress stickers on each of them) included, are just uninspiring and often just too convoluted to follow -- Its far easier to just give up and hit "skip" than listen to another terrible voice acting scene.

With recent previously released MMOs which are heavy on story and excellent voice acting, along with great cut scenes, I wonder if this will damn GW2.

I believe the only single saving grace for this game is that it does not require a monthly subscription. I truly believe this is the only reason the game will do well. Sure the environments are nice, the adhoc quest system is cool, and the convoluted combos you can come up with in combat are interesting. But the story being told is just down-right awful and the voice acting along with it.

um what game was you playing ? and you know the game isnt out yet right?

• SoldarithSoldarith Member Posts: 184

I was playing Guild Wars 2. And I've been playing MMO Alphas and Betas for well over a decade to know that at this point, what you see is what you get one month from now in retail. So please don't fire the "its beta" shot.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Holy crap, that mushroom cap looks like a ronin-gasa D:

Tooootally making my Thief a dual-wielding sylvari, now.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."