Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel like I was duped again...

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

Sorry things have not gone well for you. :(

Still, the PVE was good IMO--is there something in particular you're not enjoying? Perhaps you aren't fully understanding the mechanics. 

Either way, best of luck on your next game.

So the OP doesnt like the PvE, or TSW in general, so the OP must not be understanding the game....

Where have I heard that garbage before?

Truth is, you were duped. These days its smart to wait at least 2 months after release to buy a MMO.

Ya, in general I would have to recommend that people don't listen to anyone on these forums when it comes to deciding on whether or not to buy an MMO.

Best way to avoid getting duped in this genre, is to actively go out and read multiple sources of information on a game you're interested in. By all means ask on these forums for potential sites, articles, and videos on a game, but I wouldn't listen to anyone directly.

Find as many other people who share your interests and mindset on games, and weigh their opinions against your own. It won't immunize you from buying crappy games, but it will definitely cut that number down from 100%.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Bootez

If any dev is reading this, here is a tip: STOP MAKING THE GAMES SINGLE-PLAYER. GIVE US MORE XP FOR TEAMING. BETTER LOOT. ACTUALLY, JUST REMOVE ANY SINGLE PLAYER ASPECTS COMPLETELY. 

Ironically, you would then have noone to group with, since you would be the only one playing.

Grouping is fun, but I don't know anyone who can stand being grouped up with obnoxious MMOers all the time. Small doses is fine.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by aesperus

My real point to this thread, I guess, was to warn people to not fall into the same trap.. Let the game spend some time working out the bugs (which there are many) and the balancing, and then you'll find something worth the monthly.

Sad thing is, this was a warning that many people on the forums brought up. However, for every post bringing up legitimate problems with the game, there are at least 10 that contradict it, and pretend the game is flawless.

I've seen every claim on here from, the combat being extremely innovative & dynamic (questionable), to the game not having traditional trinity roles (completely bs), to the game not being primarily a single-player experience, with multi-player fuctionality (again, bs).

However, these forums are notorious for that sort of thing. This is the haven for trolls, fanboys, and the vocal minority. Every horrible game has advocates on these forums. Every game that has flaws has enough people willing to look passed them, to the point where they delude themselves & others into thinking they don't exist.

The OP has legitimate concerns about the game. Even if he is coming across as a bit frustrated. The game isn't garbage, it has some really well done features. The story is also pretty good for the most part. The game (regardless of what people tell you) is still extremely buggy. There are a lot of bugs, and many of them have been there since beta. Most of the dungeons are buggy, and while you can do a good amount of runs w/ out realizing theirs bugs, there are all kinds of fun little glitches that are absolutely infuriating at  times. Bosses spawning / despawning incorrectly. Mechanics bugging out and whiping the group. Bosses attacking people in the respawn area (which is supposed to be a safe zone). There's a long list.

- Another fact to consider, which many people seem to be overlooking, is this game is following the exact same trend as SWTOR.The main draw to this game revolves around the story elements (a lot like SWTOR), and these elements, once you get passed the artificial barriers to progressing, go by fairly quick (again like SWTOR). Then you have endgame, which is basically a long grind from gear - gear, constantly trying to get those perfect randomized stats, as well as the top-end QL you can get. This is compounded by the skillpoint / AP grind, which is less painful, but still there. When you have QL10 gear (the max?) you still aren't done. You get to grind elites, in an effort to unlock nightmare modes. Once you do that, you then grind nightmare modes (on a shutout timer), for 'epic' QL10s, which can also be upgraded 3 times. So now instead of maxed QL10 gear, we have QL10.1, 10.2, and 10.3.  You have to grind signets (or money to try and buy the ones you want), because they no longer use the standard glyph upgrade slots, and instead have an added signet slot, which is another massive timesink. You can PvP for QL10+ gear, but the grind is insanely slow, warzones que at a horrid rate, and the rewards are so skewed that you get waay too much of part of the currency (white tokens), and barely any black tokens. It's basically, yet another gear grind. And what do we have to look forward to? New raids, with better loot.

In summary, the game is definitely nice for people who still enjoy the standard WoW gear treadmill, but are sick of the standard fantasy setting. You will have to put up w/ bugs, but the atmosphere and setting of this game is definitely refreshing. However, don't be fooled into thinking this game is mechanically different from the standard single-player heavy MMO with a gear treadmill. The game does do certain things differently, but so does every MMO gear treadmill clone. Even TOR had it's own unique features, and it was one of the closest games to directly copying WoW on a fundamental lvl.

excellent post

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Funny that the OP wants more xp from teaming when fights go maybe 2-3x faster if you team up and you get 3/4's of the xp and full quest xp. In other words you get xp faster if you team up. Yet again I wonder if the OP actually played the game.

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

Sorry things have not gone well for you. :(

Still, the PVE was good IMO--is there something in particular you're not enjoying? Perhaps you aren't fully understanding the mechanics. 

Either way, best of luck on your next game.

So the OP doesnt like the PvE, or TSW in general, so the OP must not be understanding the game....

Where have I heard that garbage before?

Truth is, you were duped. These days its smart to wait at least 2 months after release to buy a MMO.

Ya, in general I would have to recommend that people don't listen to anyone on these forums when it comes to deciding on whether or not to buy an MMO.

Best way to avoid getting duped in this genre, is to actively go out and read multiple sources of information on a game you're interested in. By all means ask on these forums for potential sites, articles, and videos on a game, but I wouldn't listen to anyone directly.

Find as many other people who share your interests and mindset on games, and weigh their opinions against your own. It won't immunize you from buying crappy games, but it will definitely cut that number down from 100%.

Having felt let down by AoC I never seriously considered buying and playing TSW.

After it's release I kept an eye on the forums and it was actually the generally positive response to the game that encouraged me to have a real look so I checked out the TSW site and read more posts.

The forums did cause me to try the game and I'm glad they did. TSW is a great game and the first in years in which I've actually took some real interest in the quests and the story, it's amazing how much more fun that actually makes the game.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

I was trying to be very cautious about TSW. I wasn't going to buy it. I wanted to wait for all the bad reviews that are incoming any day now and then make a decision....

But because of how quiet the forums were, I fell into the trap and wasted the 60 bucks.... 

There are good things about the game.. The story, the feel. But that's about where it ends. PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing. 

PvE- meh. Nothing really that new. A couple of decent mechanics... that i've seen elsewhere. But hey, it's the ambiance right?

There is nothing that screams "MMO." It's a single-player RPG, just like SW:TOR. It really isn't worth the sub fee. It will do great as a F2P though..

I came to TSW because I thought it was going to be innovative. But honestly, there really isn't anything "innovative." It's the same recipe disguised in a new skin. There is no reason to team. Dungeon leveling isn't as fast as questing. PvP leveling is horrifically slow. 

I'm tired of MMO's that make the solo aspect the most efficient. Why are we punished for teaming? That seems ass-backwards to me. 

If any dev is reading this, here is a tip: STOP MAKING THE GAMES SINGLE-PLAYER. GIVE US MORE XP FOR TEAMING. BETTER LOOT. ACTUALLY, JUST REMOVE ANY SINGLE PLAYER ASPECTS COMPLETELY. 

MMO stands for MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE. Not "More Monotony, Okay?" 

bah...

seriously, bitching tsw because you cant team? fail.

you DO get more exp when teaming, it IS more fun to team, you just dont NEED to team to complete most of the content (some of it will be seriously problematic without a team, and i do not talk about instances here)

@pvp: random grps vs premades, yea really shocking you die fast you surely get NOT one shotted tho, or you should lay of some of you WoW behaviour :)

being in team is way more fun to play TSW alone. no idea where you come from with this troll post.

ps: duping: in mmo the process of cloning items. not the best choice of word to flame a mmo :P just saying

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100

OP, give me your account... I'll play it for you >_>

:P

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think the tor comparisons are justified. Tor is a sub standard wow clone with lots of corridors and cutscenes.

Sure tsw is voiced and has story, but that's where the similarity ends. You have way mire freedom in where to go and where to play, you have a massive amount of customisation in your character progression only battered by sandbox games.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh also you are rewarded for grouping, drop rates are higher when grouped.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Take responsibility for "duping" yourself, please.

Alien's aren't broadcasting mind-control rays.  Forum peer pressure can be resisted.  You were raised in a modern society, and you should be somewhat resistant to advertising and marketing.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I was trying to be very cautious about TSW. I wasn't going to buy it. I wanted to wait for all the bad reviews that are incoming any day now and then make a decision....

But because of how quiet the forums were, I fell into the trap and wasted the 60 bucks.... 

There are good things about the game.. The story, the feel. But that's about where it ends. PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing. 

PvE- meh. Nothing really that new. A couple of decent mechanics... that i've seen elsewhere. But hey, it's the ambiance right?

There is nothing that screams "MMO." It's a single-player RPG, just like SW:TOR. It really isn't worth the sub fee. It will do great as a F2P though..

I came to TSW because I thought it was going to be innovative. But honestly, there really isn't anything "innovative." It's the same recipe disguised in a new skin. There is no reason to team. Dungeon leveling isn't as fast as questing. PvP leveling is horrifically slow. 

I'm tired of MMO's that make the solo aspect the most efficient. Why are we punished for teaming? That seems ass-backwards to me. 

bah...

I actually agree with this.  The more I've played TSW these past 2 weeks, the more I felt like I was playing a Single Player RPG and kept wondering why they had the nerve to charge us a monthly sub.   Granted, it would make a pretty decent single player RPG but I keep looking for the MMO and not finding it.  Same problem with SWTOR.  Great for one time playthrough, not worth a monthly fee.  Which is funny, because then we have GW2 which won't have a monthly fee, and it could probably get away with having one, rofl.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Thane

bah...

you DO get more exp when teaming, it IS more fun to team, you just dont NEED to team to complete most of the content (some of it will be seriously problematic without a team, and i do not talk about instances here)

@pvp: random grps vs premades, yea really shocking you die fast you surely get NOT one shotted tho, or you should lay of some of you WoW behaviour :)

being in team is way more fun to play TSW alone. no idea where you come from with this troll post.

ps: duping: in mmo the process of cloning items. not the best choice of word to flame a mmo :P just saying

probably is just a troll post, given the things said in the OP's opening statement, theres nothing there beyond a few 'cliches' that even indicates they have played the game, its all generic this and generic that, you could pretty much post that exact same statement in any forum about any game, simply because the content of the statement is actually null, it implies knowledge but lacks details that would actually confirm this. And at this early stage of release its hard to take the opening statement seriously either, did he wait like 2 minutes or something.. its only been out a week or two. All in all my advice for anyone thinking of buying is wait for some real reviews from people who really have played the game, i certainly intend to.image

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by elocke

I was trying to be very cautious about TSW. I wasn't going to buy it. I wanted to wait for all the bad reviews that are incoming any day now and then make a decision....   But because of how quiet the forums were, I fell into the trap and wasted the 60 bucks....    There are good things about the game.. The story, the feel. But that's about where it ends. PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing.  PvE- meh. Nothing really that new. A couple of decent mechanics... that i've seen elsewhere. But hey, it's the ambiance right? There is nothing that screams "MMO." It's a single-player RPG, just like SW:TOR. It really isn't worth the sub fee. It will do great as a F2P though.. I came to TSW because I thought it was going to be innovative. But honestly, there really isn't anything "innovative." It's the same recipe disguised in a new skin. There is no reason to team. Dungeon leveling isn't as fast as questing. PvP leveling is horrifically slow.  I'm tired of MMO's that make the solo aspect the most efficient. Why are we punished for teaming? That seems ass-backwards to me.    If any dev is reading this, here is a tip: STOP MAKING THE GAMES SINGLE-PLAYER. GIVE US MORE XP FOR TEAMING. BETTER LOOT. ACTUALLY, JUST REMOVE ANY SINGLE PLAYER ASPECTS COMPLETELY.    MMO stands for MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE. Not "More Monotony, Okay?"      bah...

I actually agree with this.  The more I've played TSW these past 2 weeks, the more I felt like I was playing a Single Player RPG and kept wondering why they had the nerve to charge us a monthly sub.   Granted, it would make a pretty decent single player RPG but I keep looking for the MMO and not finding it.  Same problem with SWTOR.  Great for one time playthrough, not worth a monthly fee.  Which is funny, because then we have GW2 which won't have a monthly fee, and it could probably get away with having one, rofl.

Looks like a simple 'to each their own' to me. Sucks if you're not enjoying the game, if it doesn't give what you specifically need to enjoy an MMO. Better luck in whatever next MMO you intend to try out next in hopes of enjoyment.
  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

So, let me see if i got this rigth.

- You bought i for 60$, which is wrong since it costs 50$, which means you're either lieing or not paying attention

- There where 4 BWE you could have gotten into to try it before. There where also tons of info on the game even before launch. Hell, you could have made a thread askign CB testers. But you did nothing and dived haed first into a new game.

- You said you wait for reviews before buying. I'm like that myself. I don't buy any video game at launch to save money and see what it's fully like. And yet, you had no self controll over yourself.

- Finally, after all these self made mistakes, you claim to have been "duped".

My reaction to your whole thread is: Are you even serious?

You're trying to warn people about TSW? Dude, do yourself a favor and before coming to the forums and the internet to QQ about your own errors, try to be more carefull in the future. That's the only warning this thread requires.

Unlike you, many others already know what TSW is about and like it.

/Thread end

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

bah...

I am pretty sure you knew there were several Open Beta events and it's pretty simple to get a buddy key if you know the right players.

Next time have more patience before jumping into any mmo, however I like the way you make yourself sound like the victim here, pretty good.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Miner-2049er

Having felt let down by AoC I never seriously considered buying and playing TSW.

After it's release I kept an eye on the forums and it was actually the generally positive response to the game that encouraged me to have a real look so I checked out the TSW site and read more posts.

The forums did cause me to try the game and I'm glad they did. TSW is a great game and the first in years in which I've actually took some real interest in the quests and the story, it's amazing how much more fun that actually makes the game.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think TSW is a bad game. However, if one was to go off the posters on this forum, they would be inclined to believe that:

1) TSW is the best, most innovative MMORPG ever made

2) TSW has no bugs, problems, or flaws whatsoever

3) TSW has the most content out of any MMORPG released since WoW.

4) TSW has deep, tactical, meaningful PvP

and on, and on, and on..

I'm splitting an account with a friend atm, and we enjoyed the game a lot in the first week. 2nd week, we enjoyed it a bit less. And now we are playing less and less between the two of us. We've each already beaten the game on separate characters, and the personal story was somewhat short (fun, but short).

I think if this game was a single player game I would absolutely give it 2 thumbs up (even with the bugs). It's a pretty well made game, with some really nice backstory & voice acting. The atmosphere is not something you really see much either, which is refreshing.

My big gripe with the game, tbh, is when you start looking at it as an MMO. Being an MMO carries it's own baggage, and set of problems. I thought, that most people wanted games that dealt with these issues, and tried to progress the genre forward. Sadly to say, TSW doesn't do this. Once you look passed the 'coolness' factor this game has, and start to look at it objectively, more and more issues start to appear. After a certain point it clicks, and you realize that this game is basically another SWTOR. Now, I also enjoyed SWTOR for what it was, but it was a single player game w/ MMO features tacked on.

TSW basically ends up as another gear / dungeon grinder, with a very broken PvP system slapped on. Warzones take forever to Que, and Fusang is perhaps the worste implementation of base-trading I think I've ever seen. It's getting to the point where people will literally take a facility, with enemies still inside it, and then run off to the next (leaving the enemy faction to retake it once they're gone). The sense of exploration that I loved when I first picked up this game fades after you get through the main storyline. It basically guides you through the majority of the game anyway. I really like the dungeons as well, but they are pretty short. Each dungeon only has about ~6 bosses, and once you learn the mechanics you can finish most dungeons in about 5-10mins.

In short, the game is definitely interesting, and not a type of game you really see much of in the MMO genre. It's a neat little tittle to pick up. However, for people looking for the next big MMO, I just don't see it here. The game's lack of longevity is already showing. Some people see this, others choose not to. The earlier zones aren't quite ghosts towns, but the population is very low compared to what it was just a week ago. The game is out, and there's not many new players anymore. Most people are already to 'endgame', or not far off. I think the subscription fee is probably not helping the game either. It's a lot to ask for.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

You really need to try open betas or trials before you buy game. 

Not just reviews and opinions.

That's what I do.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I am confused with OP,

what about He talking?... TSW is MMOrpg ,just need ask for group no mater for what

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

The mechanics aren't really a problem. I just didn't find anything very innovative. It's really the same dungeon experience we have all seen over and over again. For a game that touts innovation, it seemed to fall short here. 

Maybe my expectations are too high, and maybe I'm just completely bored of the genre. But I don't see that being the case. When I go back and play old games that I really enjoyed, they still have a lot of great and fun aspects. Nothing new that has come out lately has been even remotely original..

There are innovations. the largest benig that many of the quests are more than kill x and y. Oh sure, there is some of that to be sure, but A good many quests seem to be steeped in lore and require players to do a bit of sleuthing at times.

The skill wheel and allowinig players to make their own desk is an innovation. I don't know many games that allow players to create a charater that does exactly what they want. With of course upsides and downsides to those choices.

And in the end the game playes exactly as they said it would. Same thing happened with SWToR.

My thougth is that people aren't really doing their due dilligence and are not really finding out all the details. There were open beta weekends and their was a whole host of articles on this site alone.

I don't think your expectations are high. I think you forged an opinion based on what you wanted this game to be and then just went ahead and bought it.

In any case there is a reason that there is the term "let the buyer beware".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by Harafnir

Ok. Nothing to see here.

Oh look. Someone who disagrees dismissing a post. How original and creative.

The irony is overwhelming.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

bah...

Red: It is $50, I know it seems like Im splitting hairs, but if you want a rant to be taken seriously, get the facts correct.

Green: there IS a reason to group. If you had grouped you would see that most of the content is more fun, and waaaay easier in a group. Why PvP level in a PvE game? You should have known better and stayed in PvP centric games.

I think you are mostly mad at yourself. I understand I have been there myself. I also generely am filled with disdain for the MMO genera these days. I also need an activity to fill gaps in my days so I game. Currently TSW is the best option for me, hope you can find yours.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

While I dont share all your viewpoints about TSW, I do agree that the rabid fanboism you find more and more on game forums is just as bad for the industry as the crazy haters.  Some of the topics on the forum for this game alone are prime examples.  I actually wonder if gaming companies are starting to pay people to post or are having company employees do it.  I know the developer behind the last Jurassic Park game was caught having employees post and drive up the score on metacritic. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Bootezass-backwards to me. 

bah...

Massively Multiplayer Online means lots of people online at the same time, it has nothing to do with grouping. Any MMO that forces grouping will be unpopular simply because most people have limited play time and if they need to spend 30 mins at the start of each session to find a group that are in the same point of the quest chain as they are they will rage quit and cancel. Any company that produces a game that forces grouping will be shooting themselves in the head, financially speaking.

Having said that, TSW would be better as F2P. I've played quite a few MMOs and this one has a few different aspects, I like the modern setting but the combat is pretty much the same as others - I would have preferred a Third Person Shooter style, it would have been more engaging. As I don't play as much as other MMOs it will last me a while then I will cancel... like most other people I would think

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Thane

Agree, here.  Teaming also helps deal with the combat systems most excruciating elements; standard mobs that take too long to kill, constant adds, mobs that chase you across the entire map even when they're 300+ meters in your wake.  With a group, you just take them out and be done with the stupidity(combat) and bring on the goodness(story, quest delivery, etc),

My guess is they never really tried it.  It's understandable to an extent, as Funcom sends a mixed message.  They give you mostly solo missions which are pretty heavily unbalanced; some are pretty easy, some are a PITA(even knowing the "secret") but still register the same difficulty.  The best way to deal with them all is grouped, and I think that's how Funcom intended it.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

If its a single player rpg then why do i counstantly find myself in a group, and not just for pvp and dungeons.

If grouping is so important to you, what exactly is prefenting you fron eaither inviting people near you or looking for groups in chat...hell even find a cabal...what do developers have to hold your hands in making friends too now?

Some people just dont like mmorpgs and will look for any reason to dislike them.