Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attack animations and sounds are lacking...

gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

Since i've been praising this game ever since it was announced and even bought the artbook and read both novels I'd like to point out something I didnt like about this game, and thats the attack animations and sounds. For some reason another, whenver you hit a monster it feels lacking somehow. i cant put my finger on it but you do see this in some games. In games like Aion, Diablo 3 or TERA you can really feel the hit of your weapon as it connects and the monster recoils. in games like WAR, and GW2 when you hit something for some reason you dont feel it as much. Maybe it has something to do with how the models are made or game physics. And this i feel is a very important aspect to mmorpgs, the rewarding feeling of hitting your opponent and then finally killing it. Anyone feel the same way or know what the problem is?

edit: whoops typo DX

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Comments

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

i actually thought that was one of the strong points of the game.   aside from a few of the attacks having terrible sfx i think they got it right for the most part.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

For me GW2 has one of the best animations and sounds I've seen in a loong time.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

When I bash opponents with my Warrior, it for sure feels like hitting them - and the sound is nicely appropriate too. The animations are great.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

*Checked user's post history*

Yeah, I know what this is really about.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by GTwander

Care to explain this to us then Mr. writer, musician, game designer?

You really are a renaissance man aren't you.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Before bashing on the annimations, people should understand that a guildwars annimation is not a streamed annimation, it can be changed intoo something else at any 10th of a seccond. 

Now if you compare this technollogy to games like TERA, where every annimation takes 2 secconds to finnish preventing people to do anything else, its understandable that when people do some akward things with their character, it just may look akward too.  GW2 is the only game to have sepperate annimations for lower and upper boddy that have to work in conjunction with eachother. 

So while studying Youtube videos, these annimations sometimes look a little strange, actually playing the character with all the freedom feels incredible much better then the very stylished TERA mechanics. The flow you play feels so natural and free, that those little awkward edges of the annimations (that i personally dont even see in videos) will not even be noticeble. 

The GW2 annimations through this technollogy are probably one of the major strong points of the game.

And the sounds are right on par... very much in sync with the action on the screen. When playing the game the combination of attack annimations, freedom and sound makes the combat feel connected and immersive.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by gessekai332

Since i've been praising this game ever since it was announced and even bought the artbook and read both novels I'd like to point out something I didnt like about this game, and thats the attack animations and sounds. For some reason another, whenver you hit a monster it feels lacking somehow. i cant put my finger on it but you do see this in some games. In games like Aion, Diablo 3 or TERA you can really feel the hit of your weapon as it connects and the monster recoils. in games like WAR, GW2, and TERA when you hit something for some reason you dont feel it as much. Maybe it has something to do with how the models are made or game physics. And this i feel is a very important aspect to mmorpgs, the rewarding feeling of hitting your opponent and then finally killing it. Anyone feel the same way or know what the problem is?

@ about 4:00 there was mention by the sound guys that beta players wanted more sound in atks etc and they are working on that.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by thekid1
    Originally posted by GTwander

Care to explain this to us then Mr. writer, musician, game designer?

You really are a renaissance man aren't you.

I'm a triple threat.

~but yeah, I rescind my comment. It seems the OP sways between the TSW and GW2 forums but doesn't necessarily clown either of them... but I do find it ironic he would point out the animation/sound issues in this one, rather than the other.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I think animations are really working well... Even tho some sound effects are wierd, but I don't even notice them now xD

I know this is like an worn out shoe, but... I think they made really good animations, kinda one of the best I've seen in long time now...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I could've understood this in the first BWE.

They improved on that quite a lot though. Honestly, I can't think of any MMOs that do this better, without rooting your character in place to do it.

As Bachus pointed out, the freedom of movement in this game does have a different feel to it. I wouldn't say it feels less impactful, especially when you hit a monster in the face w/ a hammer, see him get knocked down, and your whole screen shakes from the impact. However it does feel different.

Certaintly some skills feel more of an impact than others. Fireballs don't feel as heavy as they might in other games, but a lightning strike does. A sword may feel like you're just brushing a bit of steel against something, but a hammer feels like you're slamming them to the ground.

Maybe it's a style choice, but personally I like the diversity. The big attacks feel big, and this is helped by the smaller attacks feeling less powerful. I like that I can start out w/ 2 swords and feel like i'm just poking at things while they bleed, and then switch to a greatsword, and feel like i'm swinging a massive heavy sword around. It adds some nice diversity.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I prefer more gore and guts but I know its GW2 not AoC.

However I was slightly blown away with the movement in combat.  So refreshing to have a lot of skills that still fire off when you jump and dive etc.  I had some really nice moments firing off arrows and then jumping off a cart and still going through a special move.

Little things like running and healing at the same time, just brings in a fast action feel to combat.  I hate having to stop mid combat, push special combo/heal, move a tiny bit and it fails. 

I did try another race/class and it didn't feel so good. So I assume some classes feel better than others.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I'm not a fan of GW2 - and I'm kinda "meh" about it, but even I have to acknowledge that the animations are pretty good. The game has a very fluid feel to it - and the combat FELT dynamic, even if I don't like the limited arsenal approach.

That said, I'm not a fan of the semi-asian art style at all.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I'm quite happy with the "feel".

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Animations and sounds lacking? No, not really. Maybe a skill here and ther but overall its verry well done. Now if you want to talk about the way to over the top particle effects? The ones they said they would tone down and havent yet? Yea THOES are anoying. I know some people like them. But I'm going to guess thoes people didnt try a melee character. When I cant see whats going on as a melee because of all the particle effects THAT is way to much.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

For a non action game, i'm quite impressed actually. I don't find them the best ever in any way, but they're good.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by xenogias

Animations and sounds lacking? No, not really. Maybe a skill here and ther but overall its verry well done. Now if you want to talk about the way to over the top particle effects? The ones they said they would tone down and havent yet? Yea THOES are anoying. I know some people like them. But I'm going to guess thoes people didnt try a melee character. When I cant see whats going on as a melee because of all the particle effects THAT is way to much.

You know, I've had that with SO many games that I just got used to it :). Heck, I even play melee just to be enveloped by it all!

But I know what you mean. I guess we'll see this weekend.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I was surprised by how good combat feels in the game, both animations and sound were excellent.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by xenogias

You know, I've had that with SO many games that I just got used to it :). Heck, I even play melee just to be enveloped by it all!

But I know what you mean. I guess we'll see this weekend.

By itself it was just mildly anoying. My biggest issue (at this point, it could change) is that they said they WOULD change it. I believe they said they would add a slider so thoes that like the over the top fx could keep them and thoes that didnt could tone them down. So far it hasnt happened. Thats what bothers me. It was a HUGE deal after the first BWE and everyone has taken Anet at thier word, myself included. But now, with only one weekend left before launch I'm beginning to wonder.

Like you said though, we have to see what this weekend brings. It could be that I cant bring this up as a bad point agains the game anymore :)

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

Here you go for the attack sounds : here

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

forum failed with quote tags, post removed

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Before bashing on the annimations, people should understand that a guildwars annimation is not a streamed annimation, it can be changed intoo something else at any 10th of a seccond. 

Now if you compare this technollogy to games like TERA, where every annimation takes 2 secconds to finnish preventing people to do anything else, its understandable that when people do some akward things with their character, it just may look akward too.  GW2 is the only game to have sepperate annimations for lower and upper boddy that have to work in conjunction with eachother. 

The GW2 annimations through this technollogy are proba

Wait... when i played WoW, it actually felt like i was having different animations for top and bottom part of my body, and even both my hands! When my character would hit with his right hand, and block an incoming hit, he would simultaneously, without cancelling his attack animation, rise his left hand with a shield to block. Same for my rogue who parried, he would continue stab animation with right hand while rising his left hand to show a "parry" like move. Actually, a transition of aminations in WoW was so great for a long time, i dont know when it started, but it started looking very natural and i loved it (it was most fun when rogue's posion appication was considered a magic effect, thus rogue character would stab with one hand, then stab with other hand, then suddenly put his daggers back and put his hands together for a spell cast animation, then get daggers back to continue stabbing)... Not to mention when my character would strafe while hitting at the same time, his legs would do the correct angled run animation, while his arms would do the correct attack animation.

Am i wrong, didnt WoW had this? I dunno since i'm not playing it anymore (waiting for GW2, actually, to finally give me something better than WoW).

In games like Aion, Diablo 3 or TERA you can really feel the hit of your weapon as it connects and the monster recoils. in games like WAR, GW2, and TERA when you hit something for some reason you dont feel it as much.

Btw, noone noticed this yet in the OP? :)

Also, i can confirm in Diablo 3 they did MARVELOUS job on making your hits count - every single attack in the game feels powerful and looks and sounds great. You could just run around hitting single mobs with different attacks and admire how they are ripped to shreds, electrocuted, melted, dissolved, bashed, how they fly upwards and land 20 seconds after when barbarian bashes them, etc. Didnt save the game for me though. D3 sucks hard and i'm not buying Blizzard games anymore... not until a LOT of people confirm that the game is worth it.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

i just wonder why if  you see a master pice you need to still add somthing??. if ea people keep adding somthing  how would it looks like? value the thing you have for what it is  and stop add more and more cause  we all have diferent point of view ..if they will want to add every simgle thing we all diferent people want it it would be a mess.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by QSatu

For me GW2 has one of the best animations and sounds I've seen in a loong time.

QFT

Agree 100%, I used to think WoW's animations and weighty feeling was the best but GW2 I think supasses it.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124

Since i've been praising this game ever since it was announced and even bought the artbook and read both novels I'd like to point out something I didnt like about this game, and thats the attack animations and sounds. For some reason another, whenver you hit a monster it feels lacking somehow. i cant put my finger on it but you do see this in some games. In games like Aion, Diablo 3 or TERA you can really feel the hit of your weapon as it connects and the monster recoils. in games like WAR, GW2, and TERA when you hit something for some reason you dont feel it as much. Maybe it has something to do with how the models are made or game physics. And this i feel is a very important aspect to mmorpgs, the rewarding feeling of hitting your opponent and then finally killing it. Anyone feel the same way or know what the problem is?

I am confused, you can feel the combat in Tera or you cant or you have never played and are guessing?? (sorry couldnt resist a quick Troll but I know what you mean)

I liked the combat in GWs2 and found it very engaging and gives the feel you are in the combat. This is in stark contrast to Rift and TSW where I really dont like the combat you just feel totally removed from the action on screen.