Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To buy or not to buy.........

JhustynJhustyn Member UncommonPosts: 109

I really can't decide if I want to get this game or not.....It seems pretty cool from what I have read...just don't want to get burned on yet another $50 crap game......so...whats up community......is this game cool?...will I be overcome with buyers regret?......Almost broke down and bought it earlier....decided to see if there were any here that is having fun with the game still..or just full of regret for blowing $50 on a sub par game.

So....is it worth buying?

Comments

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Get a buddy key, it only works for 24 hours, try it out for yourself. If you like it buy it.

• previnprevin Member UncommonPosts: 47

I like it, and I am very glad I bought it.  But, I can't say how you will like it or not - as I don't know you :)

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Why not wait a few weeks.

- More bugs will be fixed.

- Price will be lower

- Hype will be lowered. If you are still interested in a few weeks when the hype has died, then buy it.

• JhustynJhustyn Member UncommonPosts: 109

Awesome...anyone have a buddy key?

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

The game is definitely worth $50 for the game and month of playtime. Even if you never touch it again after the 1st month, you'll have gotten your money's worth. 

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Does it have a sub? I would get it if It didnT have sub lol.
  • hoangdnhoangdn Member Posts: 1

I have awesome time with the game and strongly recommend it. Just love the fact that this game really challenges you and kicks your sorry head if you get sloppy. Anyone interested I have two 24h-buddykeys to give away. PM me with your mail-adress if interested. You will not regret. See you in the secret world!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I just picked it up myself. Took me a awhile to adjust after six months of TOR, but I'm enjoying myself so far. Course I've always been a fan of horror so killing zombies never gets old for me ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Im typically a sandboxer and hate facerolling themeparks. I like TSW for its no classes or levels, quests that arent boring, and fighting mobs past the newbie zone is somewhat difficult.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

The game is pretty damn sweet. I'm enjoying it a lot. The quests aren't your average fair, I had issues solving one of the puzzles. Which leads me to the only bad thing I have to say about it. When you cannot solve a puzzle but really want to, someone else can just run up and solve it while you are trying to and you get credit. Which blows if you really wanted to figure it out.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Give it a month or two at a minimum.  Look at SWTOR, people praised it as the greatest thing since slice bread and would dethrome WoW, look how that ended.  If you are stoked for or intrested in GW2 then TSW is not worth it right now imo as it is close to being released.  People get bored and end up buying and wasting money on the latest flashy MMO due to lack of options and droppign it within a month without waiting to see how the ebb goes after a month or so.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

One of the big problems I am having with this game is when they do throw a few generic MMORPG quests at you it feels really tedious, more so than it would in any other game just because the other quests here are awesome.

I am on one just now where I had to enter a cave then kill 7 enemies, collect 7 things, kill a bigger monster, then go find an item, kill mobs around it, go find an item kill mobs around it................and so on.

When you hit ones like those after doing stuff thats actually fun and awesome it really takes the wind out your sails.

Still it's a good game I just can't play it for any longer than a couple of hours at a time.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

One of the big problems I am having with this game is when they do throw a few generic MMORPG quests at you it feels really tedious, more so than it would in any other game just because the other quests here are awesome.

I am on one just now where I had to enter a cave then kill 7 enemies, collect 7 things, kill a bigger monster, then go find an item, kill mobs around it, go find an item kill mobs around it................and so on.

When you hit ones like those after doing stuff thats actually fun and awesome it really takes the wind out your sails.

Still it's a good game I just can't play it for any longer than a couple of hours at a time.

Those are just fillers to gain xp. Some are better, others are dull. Sometimes the fillers are just to lead you to the next camp/quest giver.

The solution is to pick a real mission and 3 fillers and then do the fillers while concentrating on the real mission.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by LethalBurst

The game is definitely worth $50 for the game and month of playtime. Even if you never touch it again after the 1st month, you'll have gotten your money's worth. 

My thoughts exactly, but I can't know the OPs taste for games.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Is that necessarily a bad thing? :D

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by LethalBurst

Exactly how i feel.

EDIT: Also, since the game costs less 10$ than other mmos, it comes if almost 2 free months, kind off.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well worth the money and the sub, but as someone else said try and get hold of a buddy key first :)

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I'm playing it and enjoying it.    But I like MMOs in general so I hardly ever regret buying them even if they don't last past the initial free month.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TzykiraTzykira Member Posts: 13

It's one of few MMo's left that i actually enjoy playing.

Althought im not sure about the durability thought, the full skill circle makes other chr's abit... well useless, nevertheless u should buy it, great game, awesome skill set, quest and story line.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

The kill x mobs do kind of feel out of place in the game, they are a lot more enjoyable if you group up though and you share the collect 7 things part so you can collect 3 and the other one in your group collect 4 and you will be done with that.

Gives you more time to do the investigation stuff. ;)

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

I'm having a hard time seeing past the dorky combat mechanics, but the world design and the mission goals are pretty interesting so far. It's not in my "gotta play" catagory, but for the price, I don't regret being curious enough to buy it.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by thekid1

Why not wait a few weeks.

- More bugs will be fixed.

- Price will be lower

- Hype will be lowered. If you are still interested in a few weeks when the hype has died, then buy it.

While there are some bugs, this is one of the best launches I have played since the dawn of MMO time.  The bugs are very tolerable, and Funcom is working through them.  I wouldn't let that bother anyone unless you are OCD about it.  If that's the case, I don't know how you game at all.

Any Hype this game is receiving is coming from the players themselves who are loving the game.  In fact, I would say that Funcom should be doing a lot more advertising than they are based on how successful the game has been from a fun and playability standpoint.

My 2 cents on this game is that I am really, really enjoying it.  The game world puts other themeparks to shame because the whole experience from visuals and atmosphere to the quests themselves is hand crafted.  Ths game is gorgeous, and there really isn't a reason to re-roll a character unless you really want one that looks different.

This game needs some inspiration in the PvP department, but I think Funcom is getting enough feedback in that regard that they will end up addressing it.  It's not "horrible", but it's also not anywhere near as fun as GW2.  Since I am bringing GW2 up, I'll add that I think the PvE in TSW is far more interesting and engaging than GW2.  PvE GW2 is going to feel like an evolutionary, not revolutionary, step in MMO design, but it's still going to be way too familiar for anyone who has been playing recent themeparks.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ZtinZtin Member Posts: 1
    I haven't had so much fun in a game since EQ. I have enjoyed my new life in TSW. i even bought the lifetime. The experience has been worth the price of admission.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

If you have to ask should I or shouldn't I, then the answer is shouldn't. Do some more reading, watch videos, try to get a buddy key. I like the game but I would never try to convince someone to buy something based on my likes.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Any Hype this game is receiving is coming from the players themselves who are loving the game.  In fact, I would say that Funcom should be doing a lot more advertising than they are based on how successful the game has been from a fun and playability standpoint.

Maybe they're satisfied with how the game is selling and feel relying on viral efforts by players is better? Not really sure but frankly they don't seem to be doing a very good job marketing the game far as I'm concerned. Then again if they're making enough to make them happy and keep up regular updates it works for me.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.