Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An attempt to describe what type of person will like The Secret World

2»

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by GTwander

I thought it was funny.

~and if you got the memo from HQ, you'd know what I'm playing lately.

I didn't get the memo and from the looks of it neither did your sig.

I don't update my facebook either, sue me.

I would, but I don't think I'd win that case :P

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

I dunno, I saw Moonlight Kingdom a few weeks ago and liked it, where does that put me in the rating system here?

I prefer games of territory control and denial of resources to your opponents, (think EVE, DAOC and Lineage 2) but have enjoyed a good theme park or 3.

I do love to read, everything from science fiction, horror and the Bible, but confess a fondess for the pletheora of cheap zombie novels that are available on my Kindle.

In on respect I am starting to see what the OP references, I recently started out TSW (without trying it in the betas) and was haphazardly throwing together builds at first.  I didn't have a clue what I was going, and thought I had put together a decent DPS build (Hammers/Shotguns) that was servicing me pretty well in Kingsmouth.

Wasn't until I considered tanking and did some reading, then put together a Hammers/Chaos 60 pt build that I really started to understand the synergies between skills/builds (this particular set up focuses on setting weakness on your target, and reducing incoming damage to yourself)

I have actually run through almost all the quests on Kingsmouth 3 times now, in order to get my skills/gear up to QL3 in Hammers/Shotguns/Chaos  and I'll probably do them a 4th time tonight just to get some practice in on my new tanking build before tackling Polaris this week.

Of course this is just the tip of the iceburg, and I can see where you can put some thought into how various builds should work.  One nice thing is that you really can' t screw up, well at least at the low level I'm at (what was I thinking putting those points into Blood Magic?)

So far so good, can't say there will be long term appeal for me but so far has been different enough to be worth the money I spent.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I dunno, I saw Moonlight Kingdom a few weeks ago and liked it, where does that put me in the rating system here?

I prefer games of territory control and denial of resources to your opponents, (think EVE, DAOC and Lineage 2) but have enjoyed a good theme park or 3.

I do love to read, everything from science fiction, horror and the Bible, but confess a fondess for the pletheora of cheap zombie novels that are available on my Kindle.

In on respect I am starting to see what the OP references, I recently started out TSW (without trying it in the betas) and was haphazardly throwing together builds at first.  I didn't have a clue what I was going, and thought I had put together a decent DPS build (Hammers/Shotguns) that was servicing me pretty well in Kingsmouth.

Wasn't until I considered tanking and did some reading, then put together a Hammers/Chaos 60 pt build that I really started to understand the synergies between skills/builds (this particular set up focuses on setting weakness on your target, and reducing incoming damage to yourself)

I have actually run through almost all the quests on Kingsmouth 3 times now, in order to get my skills/gear up to QL3 in Hammers/Shotguns/Chaos  and I'll probably do them a 4th time tonight just to get some practice in on my new tanking build before tackling Polaris this week.

Of course this is just the tip of the iceburg, and I can see where you can put some thought into how various builds should work.  One nice thing is that you really can' t screw up, well at least at the low level I'm at (what was I thinking putting those points into Blood Magic?)

So far so good, can't say there will be long term appeal for me but so far has been different enough to be worth the money I spent.

You can do Polaris QL 2 quite easily :-)

And then you will notice Polaris is easy as crap once you learn the simple boss mechanics, assuming of course that you've got no more than half of the team of retards ;)

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I hate these threads. I like TSW alot, but i don't cringe at Die Hard, Terminator, or any action movie for that. So your post is wong from the start.

I'm sorry, but how can you even believe your post is correct in any way. Different people have, well, tons of different tastes. Trying to quantify each preference in a small comment fro thousands of people is just wrong.

What type of person will like TSW? There's so many factors to the asnwer it's no even worth it. Again, sorry but, pointless thread is pointless. Oh, and will only generate flames.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Originally posted by andypandyr

<snip>

And then you will notice Polaris is easy as crap once you learn the simple boss mechanics, assuming of course that you've got no more than half of the team of retards ;)

Well, the thing is, in watching the chat channels more than a few /tells said they were looking for QL3, and I figured that if anyone needed QL3 gear in an instance it would be the tank.  Besides I don't want to look like one of those "retards" Tom was talking about.

To Tom, yes, if you had seen the build I was originally thinking of tanking in you definitely would have put me in the category of retard, but fact is, I'm just very new to TSW, and truthfully, I haven't tried tanking in a modern MMORPG in many years, so I'm probably going to need some patient group members, at least starting out.  So having Polaris be an easy dungeon is probably a good thing, at least for a person like myself still trying to get an understanding of this game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by andypandyr

Well, the thing is, in watching the chat channels more than a few /tells said they were looking for QL3, and I figured that if anyone needed QL3 gear in an instance it would be the tank.  Besides I don't want to look like one of those "retards" Tom was talking about.

To Tom, yes, if you had seen the build I was originally thinking of tanking in you definitely would have put me in the category of retard, but fact is, I'm just very new to TSW, and truthfully, I haven't tried tanking in a modern MMORPG in many years, so I'm probably going to need some patient group members, at least starting out.  So having Polaris be an easy dungeon is probably a good thing, at least for a person like myself still trying to get an understanding of this game.

Haha lol fair enough , but you do actually get QL3 Drops in Polaris anyway :-)

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

If you're ever watching a movie like "The Da Vinci Code", "Indiana Jones" or even "National Treasure" and at some point you're thinking (at the characters):  "you fucking idiot, the clues are right there!  can't you see what's going on?!"  

Then you will probably enjoy TSW :)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by arieste

If you're ever watching a movie like "The Da Vinci Code", "Indiana Jones" or even "National Treasure" and at some point you're thinking (at the characters):  "you fucking idiot, the clues are right there!  can't you see what's going on?!"  

No, but I find myself doing it all the time when watching "Let's Play" videos.

Nothing is worse than watching someone run circles around a map, trying to figure out what he's missed, and not being able to go "Goddamn it, it's right there you moron!!".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Being new or trying to get an understanding of the game does not make you one of those r-guys. If anything, you show a healthy approach to tanking. I was actually referencing the DPS that you will be teamed with. Those can really ruin your day ;)

Anyway, it's very rarely that I meet a bad tank or a bad healer. The ones picking those roles usually are the ones who try to do their best to keep the whole team alive (and subsequently, finish the dungeon), while many DPSs only care about topping the meters.

In whatever case, mind the "misc" category abilities in the wheel. There is a whole category of abilities useful to tanking, in case you might have missed those :)

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Cantorage
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

There is also nothing "sandbox" about the game, it has a pre determined path you pretty much have to follow all the way through, the only thing you get a choice with is your builds but they are also limited because if you don't synergise then you are gimped massively, requiring synergies limits the amount of builds you can actually make.

The game can be played on auto pilot quite easily.

The dungeon content is big standard, move from the AOE type stuff, if you are not familiar with MMO dungeons maybe it is a challenge for you.

It's not hard to come up with a good build the synergies make it really easy to see what goes with what.

Most of the quests are great but the ones that are fetch and kill whatever are really dull and they stick out like a sore thumb because the other quests are so good.

The game in the end like most themeparks is a gear grind, once you have finished the story you will grind to fill out the skill wheel and get the best gear you can as that is what determines your characters power. Think of it like WoW but you are already max level, the gear you equip is what makes you more powerful.

There are many nice things about the game but its not ground breaking nor is it in any way sandboxy.

Also loading screens between every zone and solo instances on loads of quests.

1: Wrong. I skipped Blue Mountain, went straight to Scorched Desert like a boss, got QL 6 gear, went back and finished Blue Mountain (starting at the "end" of the zone) Then did City of the Sun God, repeated some of Scorched Desert, and went to Shadowy Forest before I even did one mission in Besieged Farmlands. It very much isn't as clean of a theme park as you seem to be disillusioned it is. OK you can do this but the game still funnels you through them in a linear fashion.

2: Yes, the game can be played on auto pilot, but it will punish you for it later. You missed a detail. Here, have a turd sandwich of back tracking because you can't remember the names of locations you've been to. Just an example.You said it can't be played on auto pilot and large parts of it can, very easily.

3: Have you done any Nightmare dungeons? Actually, that was a retorical question. And maybe Polaris and Hell Raised are what you describe, but the better and later dungeons have a lot more interesting mechanics. Two words: Contact Core.I have not done nightmare mode yet because I don't have hundreds of hours a week to play the game. In my opinion the dungeons have nothing ground breaking they are MMO dungeons, theres more movement than other games but thats about it, if you can handle raids in other games you will be fine here.

4: It's not hard once you know what to look for. You just basically said, "Knitting is easy, you just have to learn it".... Man, are you really serious? Really? Knitting analogy is crap. It is not hard to figure out what things go together in this game, its basic cause and effect. If you manage to get anywhere close to far in this game and you haven't worked out how builds work then you need your head looked at, its blatantly obvious, you only need to look at one deck as a new player and you can see it.

5: If you are referring to item missions, they are side quests and there are actually fewer of those in the game than there are scripted story missions. And they're supposed to be easy XP padding that you can do simultaneously with a story mission. Most of the time, the only reason they're there, is to lead you to a new character that has a story missions.I am reffering to red missions, the ones that make up the bulk of the questing, I am aware what the item missions are, its blantantly obvious they are fillers since most of them are 2 steps long. There are plenty red quests that just involve your basic kill and gather mmo quests. Just because it's behind a cutscene doesn't change what type of quest it is.

6: Yep there's a gear progression. Problem? It's an MMO. Gear progression is there for a reason. At least you get them from interesting, fantastically well designed dungeons with no trash pulls to waste your time.I dont think this is problem I only stated it because you seemed to make out that the end game was different from other MMOs.

7: The last bit is to be expected, so....Single player instances and loading screens between zones should be expected? There should be no loading between zones, loading screens just make the game feel like a big disjointed game of zones rather than an interconnected world. I can understand loading screens if you are travelling between soloman island and egypt but between kingsmouth and savage coast it's just crap. Single player instances suck because you can group up for an entire quest and then you are forced to leave your group behind to go in to your instance, they could at least allow other people in to play with you but not effect the outcome like SWTOR did. 

I can only dream of a day when MMOs go back to having worlds and not a series of zones connected by loading screens.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Cantorage

Now, using the in-game chat type /played and hit enter. Post a screenshot of your result. I am so excited about you volunteering to bury your entire point all on your own! Do share!

On to your last point: I am one of those people working on Nightmare, farming signets, filling out the AP wheel and you know what? I love it. I even did the very same things in beta. I am not getting bored of this game.

But I do admit, my fantastic cabal is most of the reason why burnout is non-existant.

I will at least have the common decency to ADMIT that I am a LOCUST. No developer will ever make a game for us mate. You just got to accept that. You either stop being a locust and devour content so fast, you start finding ways to entertain yourself (good guild is an idea, min/maxing is another) when you've devoured most of the game, OR you keep jumping games like you will with Guild Wars 2, like you will with World of Darkness, like you will with ArcheAge like you will ZZZzzzzz......

Seriously?

Not only can you not dispute anything I've just said, you now find it more productive to have an e-peen measuring contest over the forums? No thanks. If that gives you some small sense of victory over a conversation that was never a competition, then I'll gladly send you the worlds smallest piece of cake. Glad you are so easily pleased.

I also find it curious that instead of using rational thought, you choose to justify away other people's points by name calling. Very mature (golf clap for you).

But hey, I'm glad you're enjoying your AP grind! Nothing says a game is full of content like a good ol' grind! Clearly the locusts don't know what they are missing!

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

The game in the end like most

7: The last bit is to be expected, so....Single player instances and loading screens between zones should be expected? There should be no loading between zones, loading screens just make the game feel like a big disjointed game of zones rather than an interconnected world. I can understand loading screens if you are travelling between soloman island and egypt but between kingsmouth and savage coast it's just crap. Single player instances suck because you can group up for an entire quest and then you are forced to leave your group behind to go in to your instance, they could at least allow other people in to play with you but not effect the outcome like SWTOR did. 

I can only dream of a day when MMOs go back to having worlds and not a series of zones connected by loading screens.

The reason why there are loading screens between Kingsmouth and Savage Coast (and,other zones) is because the fact that all servers for a specific zone are connected. This is why a player on one server in kingsmouth can group and hear chat from other players in kingsmouth on all different servers. The downside to having all zones from all servers connected is that you have to load them separately. I hope that makes sense. That is the tradeof of "one server" technology, but I have to give them kudos for at least having a connected server design.

Yep I understand that, just in my personal opinion open worlds are more fun to play in, it's a shame no one is making these any more.

I am not ragging on TSW either just for the record, I am really enjoying the game, just posts like these that gush over it and try to lord it over people for not being intelligent enough to play the game really get on my tits.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I'm not going to comment on most of the OP because most of it is personal opinion and quite frankly it reads like an advertisement--just as exaggerated and lacking any real meaning.

However, how can you honestly say that there is no handholding when 90% of the time the game places a marker on the map and on the UI, showing you exactly where to go?

Also, there is no such thing as a "sandpark." It's either a themepark or a sandbox and TSW is a themepark game through and through. EVE, UO and old SWG are sandbox games. TSW does not share any features with them.

Originally posted by heartless

However, how can you honestly say that there is no handholding when 90% of the time the game places a marker on the map and on the UI, showing you exactly where to go?

Also, there is no such thing as a "sandpark." It's either a themepark or a sandbox and TSW is a themepark game through and through. EVE, UO and old SWG are sandbox games. TSW does not share any features with them.

I agree with your first point about the OP.  It's quite overenthusiastic (among other things that are wrong with it).

On the other hand, i disagree with pretty much everything else you said.  

Handholding can be defined in different ways.  EVE also places a marker on map and UI for just about everything, but it's probably the MMO with the LEAST "handholding" out of any i've played.  Map markers don't really mean much on their own.

I also completely disagree with your point about "sandpark".  I believe it's quite vice versa - that there is no such thing as "sandbox" (second life comes close i guess) and "themepark" (DDO comes pretty close) - but rather that all games are somewhere in the middle of that continuum, with some obviously being closer to one side than another.

Finally,  I also disagree with you last point about TSW not sharing any features with EVE and SWG.   It shares some very key things with EVE - the main being the character development system that is completely unrestricted, based around horizontal (as well as vertical) progression and allows for one character to fill any role based on deck and gear loadout.  EVE is one of the only games out there that works the same way.   Another key feature it shares with EVE is that your exploration direction is also horizontal - you can go anywhere to do anything.  (Yes, there are QL restrictions in TSW and similar gear Tier restrictions and mission levels in EVE, so really it's pretty similar.)    SWG's character development  model was much more "themepark" than TSW's, but it still felt similar since even though you were limited in your classes, you could combine different things in a variety of ways.      

For the record: i'm no way arguing that TSW is a sandbox game - it's not.  But to say that it doesn't share any key features with EVE and/or SWG is just plain ignorance as one of the key features of the game (character progression) is more akin to those games than anything else on the market. 

P.S.  Does anyone know when the term "themepark" originated in regards to MMOs?  The first time i ever heard it used was in relation to the "Jabba's Palace Themepark" area of SWG.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

For me it feels like a cross between X-files and a Stephen King novel. Very engaging.

And I agree that it may take some time to grow on you. I didn't enjoy it at all during the first beta weekend, but it got better further in.

All die, so die well.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I like most of the movies on the "favorite movie" list in the original post, and I LOVED The Longest Journey, and yet TSW did nothing for me at all. I didn't enjoy my 40 hours of beta, and I still bought it (against my better judgement but because I found it on the cheap and my friends bought it for some reason...) and I have not liked my 25+ hours of live. I simply can not carry on beyond Blue Mountain with the way I feel about the game.

Not knocking those who like it, but the criteria set by the first few posts of this thread are not always the case...

Edit - I also have loved HP Lovecraft for most of my life since I started reading, as well as Poe and King. So that really didn't have much effect on my enjoyment of the game either.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

*snip*

Sandboxes are games that promote emergent gameplay aka player created content. Themeparks are not. The skill systems themselves have very little to do with whether the game is a sandbox or a themepark.

UO and EVE thrive on player created content. TSW does very little to support it.

Edit: cut out the quote.

Originally posted by heartless

*snip*

Sandboxes are games that promote emergent gameplay aka player created content. Themeparks are not. The skill systems themselves have very little to do with whether the game is a sandbox or a themepark.

UO and EVE thrive on player created content. TSW does very little to support it.

Edit: cut out the quote.

According to your definition of sandbox, you are correct.  No further argument from me.

- Raph Koster

• Originally posted by arieste

But the clues don't highlight themselves with a yellow outline in those movies like they do in TSW ...

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by gestalt11

But the clues don't highlight themselves with a yellow outline in those movies like they do in TSW ...

Nicholas Cage has a genetic mutation where he sees all of lifes clues with a yellow outline.

Its why hes able to solve certuries old mysteries by saying a few words that will lead him to the not so obvious answer.

Heres nicolas cage using his powers to solve the alphabet, the yellow outlines no doubt aided him in this discovery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68BjP5f0ccE