Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Survival/solo Build Help

BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Could anyone recommend a good survival/solo build?

Sadly I will be doing that for a while until by schedual straigthens itself out ;P

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

It's healing-based rather than survival, but I've found the AR's damaging health leeches to be really effective so far for soloing. It basically heals you as you attack enemies.

<3

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

It's healing-based rather than survival, but I've found the AR's damaging health leeches to be really effective so far for soloing. It basically heals you as you attack enemies.

But unless I haven't gone far enough into it (outer ring completed at least) AR leach heals are not that great. The damage is not so good too. That is the way it looks on my end.

I went Shotgun as my Main attack, awesome so far. But you need a longer ranged attack too (Inferno I'm looking at you) so i went AR. But AR wasn't cutting it as far as solo healing, for me at least. I find Blades has a better solo heal effect. I completed outer ring of it and WOW, much better!

But the beauty of this game is you can pick and choose from what Deck you want to fit your play style. Run Polaris or other easier quest chains a few times and go to town on other disiplines!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Assault Rifle with anima shot and grenade will help you until you reach the outer ring and change for salvo skills whitch do more damage and healing - apply also a bleeding to your leeching powers.
    This is usually good for single and dual targets.
    (a grenade uses ressources and with 5 build up ressources it does up to 5 and even 10 times the damage of your normal attack)

For low health many mob groups a sword is pretty good but you have to take them down b4 they beat you.

I have to say i do like the other weapons not that much, to much depending on specific occasions and to much long cooldown skills.
    The Assault Rifle is pretty straight forward and has often shorter cooldowns and gives you the range that helps big in some fights.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

My Illuninati uses Assault Rifle/ Blood.

My Templar uses Pistols/Fist.

My Dragon uses Ele/Blood.

All 3 can solo most situations without a problem through Kingsmouth, after which you just have to watch your pulls to keep yourself alive.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I should have been more specific.  After Kingsmoth I can at most take on 2 whites and then it is a close fight.  I was thinking maybe I had made the wrong selection of abilities.  Or does everyone have trouble with 2 whites (white with the one dot)?

All my gear is q3 & q4.  Green and blues ;)

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Going to build up my hunter deck for now being a dragon. Meaning Shotgun and Elemental and so far it's actually a good deck and is especially effective against large groups, but still decent against single targets. For now I still have a lot of single target attacks, when the deck is done, not so much so a bit worried how it will be going then.

So far it's good to solo. Had a AR/Blood build before and was good to solo, but rather slow. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

AR/Blades or Ar/Chaos has been the best solo builds ive came up with.  The Blades version kills faster thanks to penetration and Affliction and the Chaos version has higher survivability thanks to weaken and more self heals.

make sure you run with 3 Healing items and 1 tank item and 3 DPS items.  It is the best combination of survivability ive come up with.  Any less healing and your leaches will suck, remove the tank piece and its hard to come back from a big boss hit that knocks off half your health if you cant move out of the white circle in time.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Here is a huge tip for any new player trying to survive solo the first 3 zones: Save up all tokens in kingsmouth until you get 65, also save up your skill points til you have enough to pump up one weapon to skill 5. Then run to blue mountain, buy a ql6 blue weapon and blue DMG glyph - enjoy mowing through mobs with ease. The link posted above has some excellent builds, but keep in mind for ease of soloing good gear is also important.

yea 3/4th the way through savage coast I had enough tokens for 2 blue weapons and one blue glyph from the vender in blue mountain. It does help a whole lot but you still need a decent build even with good gear.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984
    Originally posted by Beyorn

Could anyone recommend a good survival/solo build?

Sadly I will be doing that for a while until by schedual straigthens itself out ;P

So far Blade/Blood seems to be one of the most solid solo builds to start with. Its basically a tank/heal build that is able to deal with adds. It has AoE melee and  AoE  DoT's to survive while dealing damage. It depends on the abilities and on how much SP you have ofc.  Within the build ist possible to go for more dps or higher survivability. Thats a good thing to adopt to your itemisation.

Definetely a good build for the first two zones without much frustration. Past that you should have learned the skill wheel.

The 2nd best solo build is a duo partner and definetely the most fun build ;)
    http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Numar

The items displayed are wrong. Chronicles is still beta.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

The easiest way for us to help is if you link your character http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Blackbeard like that. Btw the build above does very good damage, and does for the most part blast through mobs in about 15 seconds, which is nice. Could probably use some surviveability though, but that would take up one of the passive slots.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I've been very happy with an AR/Blades survival build.

Here is the Chronicle link, though at the time of this post the page seems to be lagging the character by at least 12 hours:

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Shadow-Spirit

The build leverages Penetration, buffing Penetration and exploiting it via passives. It's a bit faster againsts gangs than it is killing tough solo targets, but it has solid survivability. I recently added the Shotgun Passive 12 Gouge and the Weakness debuff that exploits every Penetration has added even more to the survivability. I'm ending most battles with between 90& and 100% health left at the time of the killing blow.

For those occassional mobs that are best handled from range, Anima Burst works surprisingly well as a ranged attack.

I always trigger Shot of Anima as needed, with between 3-5 AR resources, tabbing to the next mob when fighting a gang and triggering it as soon as it's off cooldown during those multi-enemy fights.

(I wish the page was up tio date, the passives showing atm were sub-optimal, slotted during some experimentation. Hopefully it will be updated soon).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

A lot of good ideas and links to build in this thread.

Three basic points:

1. A tank weapon (Blade, Hammer, Chaos) plus a healing weapon (Rifle, Fists, Blood) is what most "survival" builds are built around. I use 4 builds routinely: Rifle/Blade for solo play, Blade/Chaos for Tanking, Ele/Blood for DPS (Ele/anything really) and Rifle/Blood for healing.

2. If you have to make a choice between single target and AOE builds for soloing, always go with the AOE build. Your single target DPS may be a bit on the low side this way, but you'll be "add-proof." In some areas, like the asylum in Blue Mountain for example, a 2nd or 3rd add is innevitable. A good way to test your spec is taking on 2 or 3 mobs that are not part of packs.

3. There are some abilities or passives from other weapons you don't equip that are so good that you should get them asap. Here are three that have served me well:

• Bloodsport from fists: afflicts everything you hit. There are many reactives that depend on afflicted targets for increased damage, self heal, defense buff etc. It's probably the best debuff...until you run into those pesky mobs that you should never afflict later on. But those are rare and mostly (only?) in Transylvania.
    • 12 Gouge from Shotgun: Weakens every afflicted target you Penetrate - I have other abilities to increase penetration chance (Dark Potency and Iron Maiden from Blood) to the extent that in my solo build I afflict, penetrate and weaken everything I touch nearly 100% of the time. I also use that for my DPS build but also emphasize crit chance there... crit + penetrate = DPS heaven :)
    • Turn the Tables: the 642 HP self-heal active ability with a 35s cooldown from the Survivalism portion of the wheel. You won't need this all the time but it's nice to throw it in for some tough areas specially when you're still low enough that 642 HP is 1/4 of your total. This is also usefull as your "oh shit!" button in a DPS or even tank build if you have the room.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED