Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel like I was duped again...

BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

I was trying to be very cautious about TSW. I wasn't going to buy it. I wanted to wait for all the bad reviews that are incoming any day now and then make a decision....

But because of how quiet the forums were, I fell into the trap and wasted the 60 bucks.... 

There are good things about the game.. The story, the feel. But that's about where it ends. PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing. 

PvE- meh. Nothing really that new. A couple of decent mechanics... that i've seen elsewhere. But hey, it's the ambiance right?

There is nothing that screams "MMO." It's a single-player RPG, just like SW:TOR. It really isn't worth the sub fee. It will do great as a F2P though..

I came to TSW because I thought it was going to be innovative. But honestly, there really isn't anything "innovative." It's the same recipe disguised in a new skin. There is no reason to team. Dungeon leveling isn't as fast as questing. PvP leveling is horrifically slow. 

I'm tired of MMO's that make the solo aspect the most efficient. Why are we punished for teaming? That seems ass-backwards to me. 

If any dev is reading this, here is a tip: STOP MAKING THE GAMES SINGLE-PLAYER. GIVE US MORE XP FOR TEAMING. BETTER LOOT. ACTUALLY, JUST REMOVE ANY SINGLE PLAYER ASPECTS COMPLETELY. 

MMO stands for MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE. Not "More Monotony, Okay?" 

bah...

Comments

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Ok. Nothing to see here.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Sorry things have not gone well for you. :(

Still, the PVE was good IMO--is there something in particular you're not enjoying? Perhaps you aren't fully understanding the mechanics. 

Either way, best of luck on your next game.

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Harafnir

Ok. Nothing to see here.

Oh look. Someone who disagrees dismissing a post. How original and creative.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

You could always be super cautious and wait 2 months before deciding to enter any new mmorgps

Forums are sometimes accurate, but you will mainly hear the most outspoken.

Stop buying mmos right away, other games like fps or platformers sure Day 1 possibly, but for an mmo with such a huge time investment required a 2 month wait isnt much.

Originally posted by Poison_Adele

Still, the PVE was good IMO--is there something in particular you're not enjoying? Perhaps you aren't fully understanding the mechanics. 

The mechanics aren't really a problem. I just didn't find anything very innovative. It's really the same dungeon experience we have all seen over and over again. For a game that touts innovation, it seemed to fall short here. 

Maybe my expectations are too high, and maybe I'm just completely bored of the genre. But I don't see that being the case. When I go back and play old games that I really enjoyed, they still have a lot of great and fun aspects. Nothing new that has come out lately has been even remotely original..

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Final fantasy 11 removed all single player aspects..

worked out rather well right?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Bootez

PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing. 

Mind posting logs?

Originally posted by GriselBrand

PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing. 

Mind posting logs?

I didn't record any. But go look up Red Mist. And some of the hammer abilities that will hit for over 5-6k at times. I've even seen logs of 8k+ hits before which makes healing completely pointless in PvP.

I like  healing. But there isn't a reason to heal if people are getting one shot. 

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

The mechanics aren't really a problem. I just didn't find anything very innovative. It's really the same dungeon experience we have all seen over and over again. For a game that touts innovation, it seemed to fall short here. 

Maybe my expectations are too high, and maybe I'm just completely bored of the genre. But I don't see that being the case. When I go back and play old games that I really enjoyed, they still have a lot of great and fun aspects. Nothing new that has come out lately has been even remotely original..

Well, you may as well give it a bit longer and get your money's worth. :)

But I agree with what others are saying. For a brand new MMO, one with a subscription fee at least, I'd watch it for a month or two before buying. The critic reviews are pretty spot-on with this one.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by freegames

You could always be super cautious and wait 2 months before deciding to enter any new mmorgps

Stop buying mmos right away, other games like fps or platformers sure Day 1 possibly, but for an mmo with such a huge time investment required a 2 month wait isnt much.

When WoW was king of the hill I went and bought guild wars. Haven't regretted any of  the 4000+ hours.

I tried the night elf starting area and hated it. Dropped it after 2 hours. Years pass.

Second return to WoW was when a friend urged me to play it. Played for 3 years and raided heroic LK-early cata content.

So I didn't pickup WoW for YEARS despite it being THE No. 1 mmo on the market. 

Forgot what my point was. Something like don't buy mmos your friends aren't going to buy.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Fine, you wanted a group-focused mmo and tsw isnt that, at least not more than most mmos out there, i get that. Saying its "not innovative, its the same old with a new skin..." just doesnt cut it imho. TSW its an adult, horror-themed, modern-world, conspiracy based mmo. Four terms, four innovations, at least in my opinion.

You coud possibly argue that absolutely everything has been tried before in one way or another, but if you really wanted absolutely new, never tried before ideas wed probably have to resort to play mmos about dancing contests for transvestite gorillas, social simulators for flying bears with laser eyes or epic tales about kungfu fighting intelligent panda bears, and no sane mmo developer would try ever ideas that crazy.

Originally posted by Magnetia
    Originally posted by freegames

When WoW was king of the hill I went and bought guild wars. Haven't regretted any of  the 4000+ hours.

I tried the night elf starting area and hated it. Dropped it after 2 hours. Years pass.

Second return to WoW was when a friend urged me to play it. Played for 3 years and raided heroic LK-early cata content.

So I didn't pickup WoW for YEARS despite it being THE No. 1 mmo on the market. 

Forgot what my point was. Something like don't buy mmos your friends aren't going to buy.

This is something I'm slowly learning. I was so stern in not buying TSW, but the candy looked so sweet.

My real point to this thread, I guess, was to warn people to not fall into the same trap.. Let the game spend some time working out the bugs (which there are many) and the balancing, and then you'll find something worth the monthly.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

you could have tried the beta, which was extremely easy to get into, before you bought the game. most people who are cautious would have done so. ever since the first gameplay videos came out it the game was just screaming out themepark, so i dont know how you could have expected any different. just because you didnt like it doesnt mean everyone else feels the same way. most people are happy because the storyline and immersion are just simply great and the modern/horror setting is a breath of fresh air compared to elves orcs and jedi. for what it is(horror/sci-fi themepark), the game definitely delivers.

also, its is most definitely worth the the box price due to the sheer amount of content and the fact that is an MMO. console games are worth the same amount of money and offer much less content and complexity. does it deserve the monthly sub? If not, who cares you can just cancel it until they roll out the next batch of content or move onto the next game. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• jwcdisjwcdis Member Posts: 1

I''m starting to agree with the OP on some aspects of the game.

For one thing loot in this game is pretty horrible. I mean how often does your primary weapon drops? The consumables aren't that great either. Just 5 resources? 

I finished north Kingsmouth and now i'm working on the bottom. Doing PVP every 30 mins because i heard if you get ~250 venice points you could get a really awesome weapon.

Feeling like I might be done with this game soon. I bought this game for 35 bucks at Green Man Gaming so i'm not sad about how my money was spent. We'll see how things go.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

if you feel like you were duped,  again,  maybe you need to sit back and think about why you impulsively buy games that you have no interest in.  do some (more)  research.  check into what you are buying.  implying that game company's have been duping you into buying there product is an unfair assesment imo.  gamers need to stop pointing fingers and take some responsibility for their own actions.  no one forces you to buy games you don't like.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Final fantasy 11 removed all single player aspects..

worked out rather well right?

considering square enix named it the game that has brought in the most money for the company id say yes

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• xK3runexK3rune Member Posts: 100

*sigh*, can't take any posts seriously around here anymore. Stop playing Fushang, we all know it's a zerg-fest, and it's working as intended. You're getting one shot, sounds like your character is way underpowered due to not being geared and having a bad skill set. 5-8k does not even one hit ko a lot of ppl with decent characters. You may be right with the PvE, although the experience was still fun for a lot of ppl. 

It's really not that new and it could use a few months of updates, but come on.. find more reasonable excuses.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Sorry OP that you didnt like the game..

but for me and many others this is the best themepark MMORPG to come along for quite some time.

Graphics are awesome.

Story is awesome.

Combat is your average tab target affair but it works well and its fun.

PVE is good fun they have brought in a bit extra with the dodge ability and the need to move around and so on. Still yes its not much more than your average MMORPG but its fun.

PVP is another great aspect and certainly one of the best themepark MMORPGs in recent times.. dont get me wrong im a big fam of open world sandbox full loot pvp so its not perfect in anyway but tis a lot better than your average themepark..

As for grouping up.. you need to do this for dungeons of course.. but if you group to do the normal missions you get better drops from the mobs you kill so yes there is a reason to group up and some of the standard quests later in the game get alot harder so its best to group up as much as possible.

As for being innovative... well of course its a Themepark MMORPG so its hard to be but TSW has some really nice feature including some of the quests... investigation quests, puzzle quests, stealth quests.. TSW is the first MMORPG that I have had to decode morse code to do a quest for instance.. YEs at the end of the day its a themepark MMORPG and does things slightly different.. just like GW2 does things slightly different but that at the end of the day is also just a themepark MMORPG.. Then of coruse you have the modern world setting and story..

It sounds to me thats your just burnt out with these type of games.

For me its the best £30 I have spend on a game for a very long time and ill be happy to sub to this for months to come :) as for bad reviews you where expecting.. I aint really seen anything bad on any of the games sites.. lowest ive seen so far was gamespot at 7.5 and thats not exactly low lol..

• trillgodtrillgod Member Posts: 52

single player game like swtor? man swtor was soo easy..there really was no point in grouping but i feel TSW forces me to group EVERY SINGE TIME...game is pretty tough if your not into the whole deck calculation and optimiztion so having buddy to play with is essential and the atmosphere trumps any other mmo i've played..im probably having the best time have had in an mmo since wurm and im planning to sub next month :D

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

For someone who claims to have read about the game im surprised at this comment. TSW has never claimed to be innovative, it has a few different approaches to things, but it's not innovative in any way.

For many older gamers TSW is a throwback to earlier mmo's and rpg's, more about figuring out what to do instead of the game spoon-feeding you everything in large quantities with huge yellow arrows pointing the way. Yes, TSW does help with directions and areas in some missions, but not all. This is why it's hard to classify this themepark mmo as a "wow-clone", because it does set itself apart from the generic cookie cutter games and that in itself is quite an achievement.

As for originality, name me one mmo apart from EvE in the last 10 years thats original? There isn't another one and EvE isn't really original either, it's basically the bastard child of Elite, Homeworld plus a few others.

Originality in gaming is extremely rare, it's ALL been done before.

I'm a huge critic of this game, for me it does as much bad as it does good, but what it does well, it really does well.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Why didnt you play one of many open beta events ?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

like many other b4 me already posted.....you should have tried the beta.....i did and i knew it wasn't for me (because of the horrid animations, the rest was pretty enjoyable but not a keeper).

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

So the OP doesnt like the PvE, or TSW in general, so the OP must not be understanding the game....

Where have I heard that garbage before?

Truth is, you were duped. These days its smart to wait at least 2 months after release to buy a MMO.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

My real point to this thread, I guess, was to warn people to not fall into the same trap.. Let the game spend some time working out the bugs (which there are many) and the balancing, and then you'll find something worth the monthly.

Sad thing is, this was a warning that many people on the forums brought up. However, for every post bringing up legitimate problems with the game, there are at least 10 that contradict it, and pretend the game is flawless.

I've seen every claim on here from, the combat being extremely innovative & dynamic (questionable), to the game not having traditional trinity roles (completely bs), to the game not being primarily a single-player experience, with multi-player fuctionality (again, bs).

However, these forums are notorious for that sort of thing. This is the haven for trolls, fanboys, and the vocal minority. Every horrible game has advocates on these forums. Every game that has flaws has enough people willing to look passed them, to the point where they delude themselves & others into thinking they don't exist.

The OP has legitimate concerns about the game. Even if he is coming across as a bit frustrated. The game isn't garbage, it has some really well done features. The story is also pretty good for the most part. The game (regardless of what people tell you) is still extremely buggy. There are a lot of bugs, and many of them have been there since beta. Most of the dungeons are buggy, and while you can do a good amount of runs w/ out realizing theirs bugs, there are all kinds of fun little glitches that are absolutely infuriating at  times. Bosses spawning / despawning incorrectly. Mechanics bugging out and whiping the group. Bosses attacking people in the respawn area (which is supposed to be a safe zone). There's a long list.

- Another fact to consider, which many people seem to be overlooking, is this game is following the exact same trend as SWTOR.The main draw to this game revolves around the story elements (a lot like SWTOR), and these elements, once you get passed the artificial barriers to progressing, go by fairly quick (again like SWTOR). Then you have endgame, which is basically a long grind from gear - gear, constantly trying to get those perfect randomized stats, as well as the top-end QL you can get. This is compounded by the skillpoint / AP grind, which is less painful, but still there. When you have QL10 gear (the max?) you still aren't done. You get to grind elites, in an effort to unlock nightmare modes. Once you do that, you then grind nightmare modes (on a shutout timer), for 'epic' QL10s, which can also be upgraded 3 times. So now instead of maxed QL10 gear, we have QL10.1, 10.2, and 10.3.  You have to grind signets (or money to try and buy the ones you want), because they no longer use the standard glyph upgrade slots, and instead have an added signet slot, which is another massive timesink. You can PvP for QL10+ gear, but the grind is insanely slow, warzones que at a horrid rate, and the rewards are so skewed that you get waay too much of part of the currency (white tokens), and barely any black tokens. It's basically, yet another gear grind. And what do we have to look forward to? New raids, with better loot.

In summary, the game is definitely nice for people who still enjoy the standard WoW gear treadmill, but are sick of the standard fantasy setting. You will have to put up w/ bugs, but the atmosphere and setting of this game is definitely refreshing. However, don't be fooled into thinking this game is mechanically different from the standard single-player heavy MMO with a gear treadmill. The game does do certain things differently, but so does every MMO gear treadmill clone. Even TOR had it's own unique features, and it was one of the closest games to directly copying WoW on a fundamental lvl.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I'm in the second zone of Egypt currently (so I guess around halfway through the questing content) and still having a blast. Dunno what you were looking for, but for me the story, atmosphere and quests are amazing. I tried the beta and decided to buy TSW for a nice single-player experience for one "playthrough". For that, it has definitely been worth every cent.

Doesn't seem I'm subbing, though, since the endgame grinding dungeons and PvP doesn't really appeal to me. Probably will resub later when there is a bunch of new questing content to see.