Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW most innovative mmorpg of the year.

Comments

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by MagikrorriM

My personal opinion of the game, it was designed as a retirement home for old school, hard core, mmo gamers. Those of us who have been craving the challenges and the sense of accomplisment we used to get from the old school mmos. These are the type of people that will get the most out of the game.

New to mmo types, will find it difficult, it may scare some off, others who are a little more curious, will be welcomed by a very friendly, mature community (you know the way old school communities used to be). The WoW type gamers, may not find it to their liking much as, progression is a little slow, easy mode is far and few in between. If it's one thing funcom is known for is hard mode is hard.

You've got to be kidding right ? I'll  pass on the old school communities (but I sure don't see it ) but old school hard core is the last thing I'd call a game with a built in browser ...damn man I can't look anything up without a step by step directions that even a fool could follow .WoW gamers at least had to window out of the game to be hand led and fed ...funcom is known for a lot of things trust me on that but hard mode is hard isn't one of them .TSW has a different feel about it for sure but a non living dead world is far from innovation in 2012 , moving from quest hub to quest hub is just old hat and not a place this old school gamer would call home now or in my retirement.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Bobbie203

The days of spec into pure healing, tanking, or dps is gone. HYbrid i where its at. Freeedom to choose how you play is the new hotness.

Yeah I said the same thing when Asherons Call came out...took 4 years before the next game to come out with it...SWG.

BTW, most innovative MMORPG of the year...how many came out this year? Yeah...GW2 is coming in a month, TSW wont win anything other than award for game that wont reach its potential, its an award that Funcom always wins.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

INNOVATIVE?!?! LOL

A different twist on things or something fresh, sure.  Innovative?  Hardly as the mechanics at the core are the same old crap that has been rehashed over n over again.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by rdrakken

The days of spec into pure healing, tanking, or dps is gone. HYbrid i where its at. Freeedom to choose how you play is the new hotness.

Yeah I said the same thing when Asherons Call came out...took 4 years before the next game to come out with it...SWG.

BTW, most innovative MMORPG of the year...how many came out this year? Yeah...GW2 is coming in a month, TSW wont win anything other than award for game that wont reach its potential, its an award that Funcom always wins.

I remeber reading an article somewhere about open skills and people in the team viewed that as a system where FOTM would rule what the players played.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

TSW most innovative mmorpg of the year, so far.

There, I fixed the title for you.  :)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by evolver1972

please list what is innovative. so far in this thread no one listed a single thing. innovative means something new. TSW borrows everything from what I say after playing through 7 of 8 zones.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Agree and this will probably stay this way. GW2 can compete and win with popularity but nothing else. 

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Er... most innovative? How? By reusing a quest system from older MMOs? By not having the same class system as WoW? Many MMOs have those things.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by tares

please list what is innovative. so far in this thread no one listed a single thing. innovative means something new. TSW borrows everything from what I say after playing through 7 of 8 zones.

Originally posted by Garvon3

Er... most innovative? How? By reusing a quest system from older MMOs? By not having the same class system as WoW? Many MMOs have those things.

Note the title said most innovative of the year, not of all time. The game doesn't even have to be all that innovative, just moreso than the other titles released so far this year, which isn't too hard.

Since you asked for a list, here ya go.

• Classless, levelless progression system
    • Modern setting
    • Investigation missions
    • Dillution of the holy trinity (pretty much everyone is a hybrid)
    • Server-hopping freedom (or dimensions, as they're called in TSW)
    • Equipment is for stats only, not appearance.
    • Said equipment veers away from the coverage model (IE shoulders, chest, legs, etc). Now you only have your weapons and various talismans.
    • No more quest hub roundups - you can only have one (usually rather involved) mission alongside three side missions.
    That's what I can name off the top of my head. Yes, some of those have been done before in other games, but rarely. If you're using that as criteria then innovation would not be possible. But you can't decide that TSW breaks far outside the standard MMO mold. Is it innovative on the same scale as say Eve Online? No, but the OP never said it was.

<3

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Note the title said most innovative of the year, not of all time. The game doesn't even have to be all that innovative, just moreso than the other titles released so far this year, which isn't too hard.

• Modern setting
    • Investigation missions
    • Said equipment veers away from the coverage model (IE shoulders, chest, legs, etc). Now you only have your weapons and various talismans.
    • No more quest hub roundups - you can only have one (usually rather involved) mission alongside three side missions.
    That's what I can name off the top of my head. Yes, some of those have been done before in other games, but rarely. If you're using that as criteria then innovation would not be possible. But you can't decide that TSW breaks far outside the standard MMO mold. Is it innovative on the same scale as say Eve Online? No, but the OP never said it was.

Innovation requires something NEW.

There have been classless, levelless MMOs before.

There have been modern MMOs before.

There have been investigation missions in MMOs before.

There have been games without the holy trinity before.

There have been games where you can wear any armor and not change your appearence before.

There have been games that veered away from the coverage model before.

There have been games with no quest hubs before.

So...the only single thing you listed as being "Innovative" is...server hopping, which...oh wait...isnt new, you can change servers in a bunch of games including Guild Wars because these are INSTANCED based games, not really server based. lol...love the excuse that real innovation is not possible...players like you are the reason why most game makers dont really try anymore.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

cmon....all news in mmo are add before 2005. after  are  only clones  or diferent variants of same things

TSW is not innovative, but it is awesome MMORPG for sure ,best  new mmorpg   of this year

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

Tsw is good but not worthy of a 10/10.

It is not the best mmorpg of the year, but it is the most innovative daredevil game of the 2012, which will pave way for future mmorpg. IMO. In fact archeage has similiar skill system that tsw has.

you can't really say that untill the year is over :).

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Aaaaaah, kids ... and their lack of knowledge leading to being amazed by every single new discovery :)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by JosephJR

cmon....all news in mmo are add before 2005. after  are  only clones  or diferent variants of same things

TSW is not innovative, but it is awesome MMORPG for sure ,best  new mmorpg   of this year

This. I'm enjoying myself but "innovative"? I wouldn't go that far.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by rdrakken
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

• Modern setting
    • Investigation missions

Innovation requires something NEW.

There have been classless, levelless MMOs before.

There have been modern MMOs before.

There have been investigation missions in MMOs before.

There have been games without the holy trinity before.

There have been games where you can wear any armor and not change your appearence before.

There have been games that veered away from the coverage model before.

There have been games with no quest hubs before.

So...the only single thing you listed as being "Innovative" is...server hopping, which...oh wait...isnt new, you can change servers in a bunch of games including Guild Wars because these are INSTANCED based games, not really server based. lol...love the excuse that real innovation is not possible...players like you are the reason why most game makers dont really try anymore.

Please note he said of this year.. so his points stick..

also

Have investigation missions like this been done in MMORPGs before? i cant think of any other MMORPG where i have had to translate morse code..

Also what modern AAA mmorpgs have there been ?

at the end of the day its a Themepark MMORPG so yeah its gonna be similar to other games..

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Innovative for 2012 I would have to say absolutely.. so far anway. You have to remember this is only for games that have released or will release this year. They pick a winner every year even if we as gamers dont see anything "new and innovative".

For myself.. Its just such a nice change a pace. A breathe of fresh air if you will. I have been playing fantasy mmos for the past decade and I cant describe how great it feels to be enjoying a game this much again.

I wasnt interested in TSW at all, let me repeat that.. at all. I bought it to hopefully pass some time until GW2 released. Funny, I canceled my GW2 pre-order. I need some time away from fantasy mmos, they are a dime a dozen. I am sure GW2 will be a great game but its the same type game I have been playing all these years.

Whether its just the setting or the presentation... TSW gave me the new car smell I havent experienced in a game in a very very long time.

Go have fun with your Eleves and Orcs... make sure to give those boars some hell.. but for me.. I have a shotgun and a field full of zombies.. what more could you ask for?

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

A GW2 dev said this and I think it can be applied to many a MMORPG.

"Are events an entirely brand-new system people have never seen before? No, they are not. They are our attempt to innovate on traditional concepts and elevate them to something different than what people have experienced before, while keeping alive enough of the old so that people feel comfortable with the system."

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Innovative for 2012 I would have to say absolutely.. so far anway. You have to remember this is only for games that have released or will release this year. They pick a winner every year even if we as gamers dont see anything "new and innovative".

That makes absolutely no sense. Following that logic, "innovative for 2012" can be applied to any game that is released this year, as long as the game is the first of it's kind, this year. If I release a WoW clone right now, by all rights, it should be considered the most innovative game of the year because it's the first WoW clone this year.

If other games have been doing it for years, it's not innovative.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

OP, might be true for just 2012 but there haven't been many MMO releases in 2012....

And once GW2 comes out, TSW is not going to be considering the best of anything.... except maybe

"Best MMO set in the modern world that is made by Funcom"

They'll surely win that award...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by BadSpock

OP, might be true for just 2012 but there haven't been many MMO releases in 2012....

And once GW2 comes out, TSW is not going to be considering the best of anything.... except maybe

"Best MMO set in the modern world that is made by Funcom"

They'll surely win that award...

I think that was a zing.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by heartless

That makes absolutely no sense. Following that logic, "innovative for 2012" can be applied to any game that is released this year, as long as the game is the first of it's kind, this year. If I release a WoW clone right now, by all rights, it should be considered the most innovative game of the year because it's the first WoW clone this year.

This is how a GW2 dev used the word when talking about DEs.

"Are events an entirely brand-new system people have never seen before? No, they are not. They are our attempt to innovate on traditional concepts and elevate them to something different than what people have experienced before, while keeping alive enough of the old so that people feel comfortable with the system."

• nGumbeinGumbei Member Posts: 33

TSW maybe the most innovative this year so far, but it has much to do to compete against Guild Wars 2 ..

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

This is how a GW2 dev used the word when talking about DEs.

A GW2 dev has nothing to do with TSW.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Atlan99

It's a decent game but "most innovative?" Let's not get too carried away here. It's WoW with a handful of quests you have to use your brain for. And yes, I do mean handful. Kingsmouth has 5, Savage Coast has 1 and Blue Mountain has 1.

Saying TSW is like WoW  with x, is like saying Home Alone is Beverly Hills Cops with Christmas.

Like I said, let's not get too carried away here. It's a themepark MMO through and through. There are a handful of quest that require you to use your brain to solve, sadly, the hardest so far was "Kingsmouth Code," the rest were easy. There is also so little of them that they are all but insignificant. There are 7 total during the first 3 zones, 5 of them are in the first zone. Most of the other quests place a marker on your map and you know exactly where to go and what to do. The game also has zone progression, typical of themepark MMOs. You move from Kingsmouth, to Savage Coast to Blue Mountain to the Egypt zones and then Romania.

It has a really cool setting and stories but it's a themepark game like WoW.

And checkers is a board game .. just like chess, or Monopoly, or Parcheese ... what was your point again ?

oh yeah TSW is JUST like wow, except for the skill wheel, setting, investgation quests, sabotage quests, grahpics .. but other than that 100% identical .. gotcha

come to think of it, WoW is really just a clone of Pac Man ... they are both video games, just in Wow your "Lives" are "Health" your quest is to eat all the dots on the board, and instead of potions to power you up, you have Large dots .. pretty sure there were ghosts in Wow as well ... yup  wow is a Pac-man clone

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Arguing with you is pointless. You praise GW2 and hate on TSW.

should I even ask which game you think deserves the reward?