Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50 year old women are to blame for current state of MMOs

tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70

I think one of the reasons MMO's today are so terrible is because of women in their late 40's/early 50's. 

These are the women who thought it was cool to be a soccer mom in the late 80's and throughout the 90's.  They enrolled their kids in soccer leagues where everyone is a winner and everyone got a trophy and a grand prize just for showing up.

Those kids are the majority audience that MMO developers are targetting now.  And they have to suit their demands of making sure everyone wins trophies just for showing up.

:(

Comments

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

That's a little.....

...could be a point in there somewhere though.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• lakokalakoka Member UncommonPosts: 97

lol

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Amazing!! And people thought I was crazy when I said the exact thing a few weeks ago.

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114

Ummm.....no.  It's 40 year old trust fund babies who saw that wow made alot of money and figured they could do the same so they go and buy up dev studios and run them in to the ground.  Gazillion is a perfect example.  Work in the industry for just a week and you will see where the real problems lay.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Obviously hippies are to blame here.

The neverending deluge of samey-shooters is to overcompensate for that era of 'free love' that took so long to grow out of.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Tape it to your stomach and get back to us.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Believe me, I'm all for stacking the burdens and blame upon women for destroying whatever it is we're talking about, but I think you're pullin' a little:

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

We need devs that are younger and are motivated to bring us better games.  The old regime of devs are still milking the old ways of doing things.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570
    [mod edit]

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• PagodayPagoday Member UncommonPosts: 4

While I won't argue w/ your reasoning, I would posit the trend you see these days is based more on not playing to a certain audience, but trying to play to as much of the audience as possible; ergo more watered down experience for the more seasoned gamer.  I can see the resentment in your post is perhaps not towards soccer moms, but rather the "everybody wins" nature of MMOs these days.   

If they create an MMO where a majority of the player-base doesn't get the rewards they feel they have earned, you won't have much of a player-base for long.  The results of appealing or creating your MMO to a wider player base frequently results in resentment not only from elite players, but also from niche players who like things that most MMOs have decided not to do.  

OP, what do you think are some other reasons for the decline of MMOs?  

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

but I think you're pullin' a little:

+1 for using stretch armstrong in *anything*.

and a hearty +2 for using anything from Black Books.

as for 50 year old women being to blame ... the OP should stop talking about their mother that way. she might get pissed and pull the broadband out from under them.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Pagoday

While I won't argue w/ your reasoning, I would posit the trend you see these days is based more on not playing to a certain audience, but trying to play to as much of the audience as possible; ergo more watered down experience for the more seasoned gamer.  I can see the resentment in your post is perhaps not towards soccer moms, but rather the "everybody wins" nature of MMOs these days.   

If they create an MMO where a majority of the player-base doesn't get the rewards they feel they have earned, you won't have much of a player-base for long.  The results of appealing or creating your MMO to a wider player base frequently results in resentment not only from elite players, but also from niche players who like things that most MMOs have decided not to do.  

OP, what do you think are some other reasons for the decline of MMOs?  

a polite way of saying, IMO:

life sucks. we all lose a bit of our souls every day. if i wanted to feel more like a loser i would simply go to work or take a walk down the street. i would most certainly *not* pay someone 15 bucks a month to do it for me.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Never thought I would see this as a reason. Good that you tried to use logic to make the conclusion though lol.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by SkullyWoods

That's a little.....

...could be a point in there somewhere though.

hahaha this made me laugh...

I miss my pokémon now :(

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

Hahaha! OP has a point ;)

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

so basically we need to send the soccer mom's to political re-edjucation camp to get MMO's back on track ?

Originally posted by Dampyre

so basically we need to send the soccer mom's to political re-edjucation camp to get MMO's back on track ?

Nope, we need a Fight Club style fall of civilization.

~but any soccer moms you find, you can send to me, personally. Heh. image

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    I blame people that always blame others.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Dampyre

idk, but I watched this youtube video this girl made, titled "what female gamers really think" or something along those lines.  I said something like, "Women have changed this world enough, that they should not be changing a man's last esapce for fantasy"...meaning video games.  I got flamed for being sexist but that isn't what I meant.  I meant it as the OP here did.  So I agree, everyone's got to be a winner now a days or god forgbid because Jimmy Two Socks stole Billy Boobs lunch he's going to go cry in the bathroom and hang himself when he's 23.

W.e, that wasn't my point, I have enough "participation ribbons" from elementary school kickin around that I don't need them from my escape in from reality.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

The REAL problem with games these days is they try so hard to be realistic.   Why?  If I want to see realism I will go outside, imagination is dead, developers with balls are dead, technology is at a stalemate, the inductry and corperations stun the real growth and transformations of what games could and should be.

Originally posted by FelixMajor

Why?  If I want to see realism I will go outside, imagination is dead...

Agreed. We need games where you eat poop and poop food...

...wait a minute.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I think console modern shooter FPS are to blame. Instead of harboring a lasting, friendly and fun gaming environment FPS games tend to have a pickup good=stay bad=rage then put down. With small waiting times between each round gratification becomes something that must happen in seconds. Not hours.

Now I'm not saying PC FPS is any better. LoL is a good example of how NOT to make a community. Fully competitive PVP will breed griefing/hatred and hardcoreness.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by GTwander

...wait a minute.

That's what adult rated games are for ;)

Originally posted by GTwander

...wait a minute.

That's what adult rated games are for ;)

If that's how things worked in RL, or if it was a cultural thing, it'd be rated E.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

I think it's byciclists who are to blame. I mean, the logic is undeniable, if you just really think about it for a minute.

This discussion has been closed.