Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The FIVE BEST MMORPGs

Comments

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

1. GW2

2. WoW

3. TSW

4. GW1

5. Mabinogi

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Largely agree myself, but I'd personally place Guild Wars 2 above The Secret World. TSW is a good game and I hope to play it through at some point, but I don't feel it has the longevity potential, polish, feeling of being "home", or fun combat that Guild Wars 2 has.

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

1) Planetside

2) Ultima Online

3) WoW

4) SWG

5) EQ

Uhh... what?

• <deleted> why this post ended up in this thread I have no idea.

• My best list is....

1. WOW

It is the most complete game and I spent the most time there.

2. AOC

I wish other companies would have great realistic graphics as opposed to cartoon looking ones.

3. RIFT

Solid game and company pays attention to what players want.

4. LOTRO

I like the player housing and most of all its middle earth.

5. EQ2

The abundance of classes and races make for a diverse game world.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

1. Dark Age of Camelot

Overall atmosphere and feel of the game was just awesome (exempting ToA lol) and realm war was a rush

2. Everquest

Challenge, skill and cooperation....because of risk. Very little will ever match the pride of getting a late night call to rescue friends from Fear or my extended gang of friends helping/forcing me to finish my epic long after I had lost hope with it.

3. EVE

Best PvP ever....PvE side of the game sucked, but lots of great people and the warfare/economics

4. LotRO

Flat out the prettiest and most consistent world ever done in an MMO combined with some of the best people playing it. Shame Turbine completely dropped the ball outside of that ;)

5. SWG

Pre-NGE...a game with a lot of problems and poor choices but the most amazing potential ever squandered by a MMO company. The CU was on the right track...if the game had been incrementally fixed or some better decisions made early it could have been a market monster - growing over time like EVE...instead they took it out back and shot it in the head :)

Honorable mentions to RIft (for just being a very solid game, if a bit bland and boring) and Tabula Rasa (for inside jokes and best in game humor!) btw....

• lakokalakoka Member UncommonPosts: 97

1. Ultima Online

2. TSW

3. Age of Conan

4. N/A

5. N/A

• kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61

1. EQ - some of the best moments in my mmo gaming time, trains/mass KEI/getting keyed for raids/etc still no other game has come close to me for the many great moments I had there.

2. DaoC - Some of the best PvP moments of my gaming has come from here, castles/seiges/towers/8v8/etc, luckly GW2 will have a lot of these mechanics so we will see if the glory days of awesome pvp is relived, awesome housing system.

3. Rift - Near flawless release of the game, constant updates and content being added, souls/trees, really good raids so far, Trion listens to its players and adjusts/adds/deletes to the game as needed. Conquest is a step in the right direction to spice up the pvp in the game but could use improvements.

4. WoW - Graphics aside, reall good pve content/raids, pvp is lacking for me, the rise of Chuck Norris fame.

5. LotRO - Awsome Lore based quests/dungeons/raids, great graphics/sound, crappy housing system, where I met many of my mmo frieds and guild that I am still a part of.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

1. SWGemu

Done by people who love it, best dev team ever since they do it for free and give their best

No profitmongers involved

Mature playerbase dedicated to the project

Everything else is not as good.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

1. TSW

Aside from your character having no voice it's great. The mood is set in every zone and it just feels right when playing. I'm not saying this will be the MMO that lasts me the longest, but it's most definately the most fun I've had in times in one.

2. SWTOR

Not many people on these forums agree with me and that's fine, but I still find it hard to do any other way of questing after the full voice-overs and storytelling. I'm a huge fan of that.

3. RIFT

Out of all the released games I played, RIFT keeps going and I keep returning for the odd month to check out the updates. Without even noticing I am more subbed than unsubbed all the time.

I quit my list here because these are the only ones I've ever seriously played. I tried WoW, Aion and many a f2p game, but never found the one game I wanted. Right now I'm subbed to TSW and SWTOR, so I'll see where I end up.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Cantorage

I was interested in GW2 but next to TSW it's an absolute turd. Really feels like a F2P in comparison.

lol. This thread and some comments in it are pure win.

Anyway back on topic (and in no particular order)

- Vanilla WOW
    - older games (The Realm, UO, Everquest, etc.) - though I can't honestly say they would appeal to me today
    - CoX (still love it after all these years)
    - Lotro (at launch before it started... changing)
    - that's it actually...

Edit: sorry all, wrote from ipad...
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

1.Meridian 59

The Big Bang of MMO's,the rest are all derivates.

I can't think of enough superlatives to toss at this game to really make it justice.

(This is if we're talking the best mmo's of all time, currently i would have to say TSW.)

All hail Qor=)

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

1.  SWG (pre-NGE) - immersive and creative with non-combat professions I still keep waiting to see show up in another game.  Player cities and player-driven economy.  Despite the bugs and annoying rubberbanding they never could seem to fix, they had something special here that lost its way.

2.  DAOC - Three very unique leveling experiences, very unique classes rather than the standard seen elsewhere, with a crafting economy somewhat similar to SWG but to a much smaller degree.  Loved the housing zone more than other mmo's.

3.  EverQuest II - Lots of things to do.  Could keep fully occupied with crafting alone.  Great dungeons early on.  Loved the game up until The Shadowed Odyssey expansion.  The game declined for me after that with each expansion and eventually I left after many years.

4.  LotRO - Very immersive and beautiful with a lot of attention given to zone details, more than I've seen anywhere.  Music, system, great community add to the overall experience.

5.  EverQuest - Loved the game until Gates of Discord.  Could be played casually up until then.  Classes had defining abilities with levels you anticipated to open up those abilities instead of just fireball 1, 2, and 3 each level.  Miss drive-by buffing.  Dungeons were huge and great fun for even small parties.

Unfortunately, of my five top mmo's, only LotRO is a top five in it's current form.  The other four either no longer exist (SWG) or don't exist  with the same type of game play, community, and structure that made it my favorite.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

1--WOW

2--EVE

3--RIFT

4--TSW

5--SWTOR

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Since we all have different games we like, I expect to see some different games on everyone list.  Whether you agree or not with anyone elses list, lets be respectful and if you must disagree please do so in a respectful way.  I know if I put my top 5 here many people probably wouldn't agree and that's ok with me.  Our different tastes is what fuels more diverse games and creativity.  Maybe one day that leads to a game what becomes one of your top five.

• asydbyrnasydbyrn Member UncommonPosts: 1

1-Swg(Pre NGE)

2-Tabula Rasa

3-Anarchy Online

4-TSW

5-E.V.E

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

I am shocked at the lack of planetside love, guess it required too much skill

Uhh... what?

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

To see Warhammer on a "Best of MMO" list, rather than something like Ultima Online, the original Everquest, or Asheron's Call, disturbs me. Naturally, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and obviously the individual who wrote this list enjoys most the modernization of the genre. There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but I think it's a narrow scope to view massively games, especially considering that some of the oldest titles are still more detailed systematically and mechanically. I also don't disagree with everything on this list. EVE certainly deserves a spot somewhere in the top five, as do EQ, UO, AC, or Meridian 59. I always enjoyed AoC as well, but for a list of the very best MMO's? It was certainly pretty, but you know what they say about substance versus style, right?

All in all, this seems like an account that reflects recent happenings within the genre, rather than having range or appreciation for a greater comprehensiveness.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Auzy

I am shocked at the lack of planetside love, guess it required too much skill

If you mean PS1, i think it's because maybe not to many played it, like myself.

But i am indeed waiting for PS2. The only great pvp mmo in the forseable future (expect maybe AA and The Repop). I really hope SOE doesn't screw up.

On the topic, i don't have a top anything list. image

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

TOTAL VOTES SO FAR

Bored at work SooooOooooOooo... top 5 MMo's (released) according to this thread is...

1.Tied for first is Dark age of Camelot and World of Warcraft with 24 votes each

2.E.V.E came in second with 17 votes

3.Everquest came in third with 16 votes

4.Star Wars: Galaxies came in forth with 13 votes

5.The most shocking of them all ... coming in at number 5.. making the top 5 iiiiisssssssss ... The Secret World with 12 votes?!?!

So this means all the best "MMo experiences" were with games that came out between(1999 -2004) with the exception of TSW (2012)

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

1 - EVE

2 - EVE

3 - SWTOR

4 - EQ2

5 - VG

yes i wrote eve twice...though i dont really play anymore its hands and feet above all others.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

1. EVE Online

Unbeatable now, will stay unbeatable many years to come. True dynamic world build and ruled by players, like any future MMOs should be.

2. Secret World

Amazing achivement from Funcom. Best theme-park MMORPG with characters and story that rivals many top RPGs.

3. World of Warcraft

Great combat and classes. Challenging and creative raids. Competitive PvP. Fun to play. There is a reason it became so popular.

4. Age of Conan

Funcom managed to turn this into great MMORPG with time. Graphics still top notch and quests are among the best. Also dont forget intense combat.

5. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Fresh ideas, great Diplomacy system, huge open world. Im not a big fan of dungeons here, but the game is explorer's heaven. The biggest drawback - non existant PvP.

I didnt count Guild Wars 2 since its not out yet. But I hope it will overcome WoW in my list and compete with TSW for second place.

Honorable mentions - Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2, Blade & Soul, TERA

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

That would be;

1) Dylan

2) Dylan

3) Dylan

4) Dylan

5) and Dylan

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

My personal top 5, not including unreleasehed ones are:

1. Asheron's Call - It was my first and is probably my most played game ever.

2. Guild Wars 1 - When I was into it, I was DEEP into it.

3. LOTRO - My bro and dad joined me for this and it was an amazing time while it lasted.

4. TSW - This game has given me that previously lost feeling of being kinda content when I sit, load up the launcher and know I can play it straight for a few hours. It's early days, I know, but just for that small feeling it deserves to be here. This may take the third spot if it keeps going well.

5. Anarchy Online - This was my massive 'hyped up for it' game and the launch was a mess. I went back to it when they released Shadowlands and I just loved it. The learning curve, the setting, the atmosphere.. all that stuff. If Funcom are good at one thing it's definately fresh and interesting skill systems (minus AoC).

Rift also deserves a mention at number 6.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

best mmo to me. stressing the "to me".

ffxi