Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Offended by Blizzard's new strategy to recruit players

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

It's a little unclear what the purpose of the program is ... it was my understanding that an unguilded player does not go very long without being spammed with guild invites (to the point where it becomes annoying).  What is the problem they are attempting to solve?

As for being offended ... I can't wrap my head around what there is to be offended about.  Guilds volunteer and one is picked per faction per server ... if your guild decides to volunteer and you don't want to take part, then yes, just leave the guild. 

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

How is this a strategy to recruit players? That's what marketing is for, not volunteering noob-helper guild programs. The only thing this does is make it so new players can find a group of people to play with off the bat.

If you're going to get mad at Blizzard for something, how about the short campaign in SC2 or Diablo 3 for its multitude of launch problems... not for trying to find volunteering noob-helper guilds. At least pick battles that make some sense.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

How could you be possibly offended by this?

It barely changes anything except to invite the WOW community to help new players.  It doesn't even recruit new players, it just gives new players a convenient way to be helped.

I guess nowadays people aren't concerned with the details of what Blizzard's doing before becoming outraged at them.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Axehilt

How could you be possibly offended by this?

If we see no immediate nefarious motive, we'll just make one up.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I'm sorry I know I will probably get slapped with a ban for this but: How ridiculously pitiful are you to find offense in a purely voluntary program for a single freakin guild per faction on a server to help new players find their footing?

I mean really ...is the hate for all things Blizzard and WoW so blind that they cannot offer a mentoring program for it's players without people dusting off their pitchforks and torches for one gawd damn day!?

Whoa is me the day a company finally gets how important community is to their mmo and tries to help strengthen it through the use of its players ...heaven help you guys.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Sheesh, This is all optional, i'd imagine a guild would discuss if its something they would like to do, and then apply for it, also... we don't know what the guild would have to change their name to, it may not be something so drastically different so that no one knows who they are.

Plus everyone saying how easy this game is and that it doesnt need a system like this, this system isn't for you, move on!

I like the idea of a mentoring system, and hope that it extends out to maybe mentoring players in raids, I know a few people that could use mentoring.

I am looking forward to see where this goes.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    I'm sorry I know I will probably get slapped with a ban for this but: How ridiculously pitiful are you to find offense in a purely voluntary program for a single freakin guild per faction on a server to help new players find their footing?

I mean really ...is the hate for all things Blizzard and WoW so blind that they cannot offer a mentoring program for it's players without people dusting off their pitchforks and torches for one gawd damn day!?

Whoa is me the day a company finally gets how important community is to their mmo and tries to help strengthen it through the use of its players ...heaven help you guys.

Slapped with a ban for defending what Blizz is trying to do, and going against all these freaking hipsters? Yah I guess its possible, lolol... But I for one agree with you... its fully voluntary!

We have just gotten to a place where it feels anything worth doing in WoW should reward a mount or a pet.... since we dont see that here, people hate...

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I don't understand why folks are so bent out of shape over this. It seams blizzard is trying to grow life on underpopulated servers. It is voluntary for 4 months.  So whoever does this has to agree to it, it is not like they pick guilds and force them to do this.

Still not enough to make me go sub up to the game, I just am saying I don't get all the hate for such an interesting idea. 

• DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51

Overact much? If a GM was good at their role leading their guild, they will not force members in doing this. Forcing things upon people will make them want to quit. So it would be either, nothing that affects you, or a sign that the guild your in is not a good fit or you.

There is more benifits to what a program like this could bring other than bring or train in new players. It is the first steps to building a community allowing new players to participate. A new player may come into the game without any friends. This service helps them and encourages them to play with other players in instances, PVP etc. Next thing you know they are playing regularly with people they would normally have not. Recruiters can also work with groups like these to idenify potential members for their guilds. A service that blizzard can never provide.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

This type of system is now new.  Games like Eve, darkfall, and EQ2 had similar "noob-friendly" like guilds that were used to mentor and train players.  Basically its a way for people to connect, socialize, and strengthen the community. 

The people that are bashing this are just extremely negagtive and/or WoW haters.  Nothing new for mmorpg standards.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

Nevermind, can't figure out how to post a pic.

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Well considering that it will be kung fu panda online soon it will attract a lot of four and five year olds and they will need a little bit of help finding their way around the world (because the gameplay is so easy a newborn could solo deathwing)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I don't understand this at all.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Read these replies, this is exactly why the need it.

Half the posts in here mocking new players for being stupid, not knowing anything and generally being idiots. Saying you'd drop your guild in a heartbeat because they want to help new players. 

Not everyone plays WoW to be a top 10 guild killing raid bosses every day and lviing in the game, some people appreciate some friendly banter and a place to call home.

What a grim thread this is.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    I probably have an unhealthy level of hate for Acti-Blizzard, but this program doesn't look bad to me. So, you take a guild that plays the game often, freeze their advancement for four months, and give them some forum fame on trade? Sounds good, especially considering that most qualifying guilds are fully BiS'd already.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Trionicus
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Lets be real about this. The only people I've ever known to need help leveling in WOW were completely incompetent. That is pretty much the end of that story.

Mid-Post EDIT: Changed my mind, this is a great idea. Think about it for a minute. We get those noobs who don't know how to switch targets (the kind of dps that never switches off the boss no matter what) being led by people who likely have never done more than basic heroics, they can all keep eachother down, like when you try to save a drowning person but neither knows how to swim.

Plesae tell me you plan to stay in WOW, I hate running into players with your attitude in my MMORPG's.

You say that now then you're the guy who initiates the vote to kick when the nub who is supposed to tank shows up with +spirit gems in slot.

So players like that deserve to be disgarded and forgot about? Fuck em, eh? They arn't good at the game so we'll just not even bother trying to help them?

Everything you're saying shows exactly why this mentoring system is needed.

1 tab to google will tell anyone what they need to know. Are you signing you're guild up for this program?

I don't play WoW anymore or have ever been hooked on it, it's never been a top MMO for me..

If I was running a guild in WoW though and the majority of the members were up for it then, sure, I'd get on board. Those members that didn't want to take part wouldn't have to. I'm not the sort to be running a guild though, I don't have the time or dedication for that.

I help out people in every MMO I play though. At the moment, in TSW, I answer every question I know the answer to in the general chat and will keep talking to that person if they need more help/advice, I'm like that in every game I play. I help everyone I come across that seems to be in a tough fight and look like they are losing. I often give away items I don't need for free to lower level players. So if you are trying to find out if I'm a hypocrite then, no, I'm not.

Everyone is a hypocrite, just saying you aren't is hypocritical lol. You don't run a guild, you're not currently playing WOW so thanks for your hypothetical guild that mentors new WOW players.

I've already put my charity time in for new  players, including everything you've done and I'm sure we could build some impressive lists.

So what, Now that I've done my share I can't sit back and watch the trainwreck? Hell, you're not even playing the damn game anymore, what do you even care?

Guys in the background yelling how great the program is from way over there in the secret world and twitching in guildworld2.

All wow really needs to do is die. I think that might be best for everyone.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Reskaillev

I can only say that this is really weird...

Was there really a need for this kind of system? LOL do you really need mentoring in WoW?

I also don't how this will recruit more players? I as an outsider won't hear anything from this Guild mentoring system..

They have already got the lowest common denominator, now they are scraping the bottom of the barrell for vegetables who need mentoring on the most dumbed down MMO in history.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Half the posts in here mocking new players for being stupid, not knowing anything and generally being idiots. Saying you'd drop your guild in a heartbeat because they want to help new players. 

Not everyone plays WoW to be a top 10 guild killing raid bosses every day and lviing in the game, some people appreciate some friendly banter and a place to call home.

You sir, are right. I should have rephrased my post. What I really mean is that most new players who are not stupid don't have a hard time getting things done and leveling up etc... It is not difficult to do from scratch. The people that have a hard time are usually very young and or stupid.

The way I see it, quite a bit of new players are young AND stupid. Long story short, I'm not a babysitter so I just totally avoid them. You find them right away, they run up to you and "ask" for gold then run off and do it a few more times, and when they hit 20 and their account isn't free, you don't see them anymore lol. If you're unlucky their parents subbed them up for a few months so you do see them again. 

Now, I'm talking about a pretty specific group of people here, maybe all below the age of 11 but god damn there are a lot of'em.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Read these replies, this is exactly why the need it.Half the posts in here mocking new players for being stupid, not knowing anything and generally being idiots. Saying you'd drop your guild in a heartbeat because they want to help new players. Not everyone plays WoW to be a top 10 guild killing raid bosses every day and lviing in the game, some people appreciate some friendly banter and a place to call home.What a grim thread this is.

It does not surprise me. Lots of people are ultra elitists that think you need to dedicated your life to a game to be "worthy". Not doing 20 hours of research and asking a simple question is not allowed. They are particularly bitter when devs actually want a bigger audience and dont cater to their wishes.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

You sir, are right. I should have rephrased my post. What I really mean is that most new players who are not stupid don't have a hard time getting things done and leveling up etc... It is not difficult to do from scratch. The people that have a hard time are usually very young and or stupid.

The way I see it, quite a bit of new players are young AND stupid. Long story short, I'm not a babysitter so I just totally avoid them. You find them right away, they run up to you and "ask" for gold then run off and do it a few more times, and when they hit 20 and their account isn't free, you don't see them anymore lol. If you're unlucky their parents subbed them up for a few months so you do see them again. 

Now, I'm talking about a pretty specific group of people here, maybe all below the age of 11 but god damn there are a lot of'em.

I would bet most of those people are in there 20's and 30's and while I may not like it I question how stupid they actually are.  If people are giving them the gold, well that probably makes them pretty smart, or at least efficient.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Lets be real about this. The only people I've ever known to need help leveling in WOW were completely incompetent. That is pretty much the end of that story.

Mid-Post EDIT: Changed my mind, this is a great idea. Think about it for a minute. We get those noobs who don't know how to switch targets (the kind of dps that never switches off the boss no matter what) being led by people who likely have never done more than basic heroics, they can all keep eachother down, like when you try to save a drowning person but neither knows how to swim.

Plesae tell me you plan to stay in WOW, I hate running into players with your attitude in my MMORPG's.

You say that now then you're the guy who initiates the vote to kick when the nub who is supposed to tank shows up with +spirit gems in slot.

So players like that deserve to be disgarded and forgot about? Fuck em, eh? They arn't good at the game so we'll just not even bother trying to help them?

Everything you're saying shows exactly why this mentoring system is needed.

1 tab to google will tell anyone what they need to know. Are you signing you're guild up for this program?

I don't play WoW anymore or have ever been hooked on it, it's never been a top MMO for me..

If I was running a guild in WoW though and the majority of the members were up for it then, sure, I'd get on board. Those members that didn't want to take part wouldn't have to. I'm not the sort to be running a guild though, I don't have the time or dedication for that.

I help out people in every MMO I play though. At the moment, in TSW, I answer every question I know the answer to in the general chat and will keep talking to that person if they need more help/advice, I'm like that in every game I play. I help everyone I come across that seems to be in a tough fight and look like they are losing. I often give away items I don't need for free to lower level players. So if you are trying to find out if I'm a hypocrite then, no, I'm not.

Everyone is a hypocrite, just saying you aren't is hypocritical lol. You don't run a guild, you're not currently playing WOW so thanks for your hypothetical guild that mentors new WOW players.

I've already put my charity time in for new  players, including everything you've done and I'm sure we could build some impressive lists.

So what, Now that I've done my share I can't sit back and watch the trainwreck? Hell, you're not even playing the damn game anymore, what do you even care?

Guys in the background yelling how great the program is from way over there in the secret world and twitching in guildworld2.

All wow really needs to do is die. I think that might be best for everyone.

I think you've pretty much lost the plot you know...

So, because I won't be taking part in this program I'm not allowed to think it's a good idea? No one's allowed opinions about something unless they are actively involved in it? I think feeding starving children in Africa is pretty good.. but since I'm not actually there feeding them myself I can't say it's a good thing to do? I can't encourage those that do have the means and time to do it? Sitting back and supporting kindless, one way or another, is way better than giving up on kindness altogether.

Your WoW hate is just off the chart. The fact I don't even like WoW but still think this is good idea pretty much says everything I need to. You, on the other hand, fall straight into hater territory and many people wonder why you even bother.. because no one will take you seriously.

I would like to see this system in every game, but it's not. If it was I would take part in it. I wouldn't run a guild but if I was in a guild considering this I'd put my hand up and I'd join in.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

A mentoring program helps not just in helping players develop game-related skills, but helps develop a mentality of helping others and sharing knowledge and experiences in a positive way.  IOW, it helps create good players who are also good community members ... exactly what you want in a healthy MMO.

This program does not appear to be directed at experienced MMO players to make it easier for them to get into WoW but rather to help bring new MMO players into the genre in an environment that is more friendly and helpful than the game has become in the last few years.

People today take gearing and speccing and tanking skills and healing skills and crowd control usage and so on completely for granted, and expect new players to become experts by "doing a little research."  I played in the vanilla and TBC era and that's NOT how it was done back then.  You learned by doing and failing and doing again differently.   Perhaps you got some friendly advice from somebody who had done it before in another group.  Because of the general attitude of the community, that has become largely impossible today.

I think it's valid to wonder what's wrong with the "leveling guilds" already out there and why these other mentoring guilds weren't doing this before, but I think part of that has always been that the emphasis has really been on mutual progression rather than helpful play ... if a player is holding you back, you leave him behind.  That has been true even in casual situations.

Anyway, this actually has me interested in coming back to WoW and getting hooked up with one of these mentor guilds; maybe level a toon or two with some of the noobs.  As somebody involved in education, I personally just enjoy seeing other people having fun learning or experiencing something new.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

This sounds alright to me.  In fact, there are already guilds in that game that are dedicated to helping new players with gear / perks / help with systems etc.  This is just something that gives them further recognition.

Aside from that, this is not new in any way.  FFXI had a mentoring system, as did Ultima Online whereby the Seers were giving free time in exchange for their services and setting up events.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I remember back when I started playing WoW as my first MMO. I had no idea what people were talking about when they said "tank" until I was level 30 or so. At level 45 or so I remember being yelled at for needing a blue BoE mace on Zul'Farrak because I honestly though it would be a good upgrade to the weapon I had equipped (it was a caster mace, I was playing a feral druid), and even at level 60 I had no idea that I needed tanking gear to use bear form in dungeons or DPS gear to use cat form. I would have probably quitted the game (or not started at all) if it wasn't for the great group of friends that were playing on our guild, and that explained me how things worked in the game back then. I'm guessing that's what this program is trying to create for new players, so I don't see what the problem is with it. It's also 100% voluntary, and you're never forced to be on a guild doing this.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Blizzard did something and someone is offended by it, is that really news? Who cares if they implement a mentoring program. The hated companies on this site really get piled on.