Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too few medieval MMOs?

xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201

Don't you think that there is too few real medieval mmos out there? And Fantasy ≠ Medieval...Tell me your opinion.

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

A real medieval MMO might be a bit to restrictive..the only thing you would be fighting is other humans. there would be no variety in races and no monsters.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

Yeah, the only realistic medieval games are developed by indie studios.  I guess there's just really no need for it, because you can get more realism and immersion from a single player experience.

Also, this isn't really an MMO, but it has online multiplayer and looks pretty sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnNrHdihGSY

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201

Well, I mean something like the setting Lineage II has for example.

This dark yet somehow realistic feel to it, and no super flashy fairy fantasy.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by xDrac

Well, I mean something like the setting Lineage II has for example.

This dark yet somehow realistic feel to it, and no super flashy fairy fantasy.

So...fantasy does count?

Lineage 2 isn't really medieval, the culture/tech etc is not remotely the same. And it is pretty flashy...

As opposed to what? This?

I don't think you know what medieval means? Not meaning to be rude...but Lineage 2 is really not remotely medieval aside from sort of, some of the towns.

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201

Yeah I should've asked a little differently I think... lol xD

Just realized I don't mean medieval in that sense but more that Lineage II direction with the somewhat "dark" and "realistic" feel to it, i dont know how to explain it.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

"Gritty" is a popular word these days used to describe games that aren't too colorful and such.

You may also just be referring to low fantasy which is still within the fantasy realm, but the problems you face are more grounded.  An example being The Witcher where morality and such drive more of the storyline than something like Dragon Age Origins which is high fantasy.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Don't you think that there is too few real medieval mmos out there? And Fantasy ? Medieval...Tell me your opinion.

I would like nothing more than a real hardcore medieval MMo. No stupid mythical races like gnomes or elves also I would like to see Mages/Magic rare... Mages should be rare like Jedi in SWG Pre-NGE. Im thinking something like Game of Thrones...

You need food and water to survive and prema-death... did I go too far?!?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Truelevel

Don't you think that there is too few real medieval mmos out there? And Fantasy ? Medieval...Tell me your opinion.

I would like nothing more than a real hardcore medieval MMo. No stupid mythical races like gnomes or elves also I would like to see Mages/Magic rare... Mages should be rare like Jedi in SWG Pre-NGE. Something like Game of Thrones...

Game of Thrones is high fantasy - despite them spending so much time on politics.

Medieval would be zero magic. It would be humans v humans hitting/shooting each other with various weapons.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Yeah I should've asked a little differently I think... lol xD

Just realized I don't mean medieval in that sense but more that Lineage II direction with the somewhat "dark" and "realistic" feel to it, i dont know how to explain it.

You might be thinking along the lines of low fantasy.  It's more like semi-historic realism (usually gritty?) than high fantasy which is not set on Earth and tends to be more flashy / stylized.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Rusque

I would like nothing more than a real hardcore medieval MMo. No stupid mythical races like gnomes or elves also I would like to see Mages/Magic rare... Mages should be rare like Jedi in SWG Pre-NGE. Something like Game of Thrones...

Game of Thrones is high fantasy - despite them spending so much time on politics.

Medieval would be zero magic. It would be humans v humans hitting/shooting each other with various weapons.

I like no magic but if nobody else will play a no-magic mmo then I will go for *low fantasy like Game of Thrones...

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

I like no magic but if nobody else will play a no-magic mmo then I will go for *low fantasy like Game of Thrones...

game of thrones isn't low fantasy..it has necromancers,giants and undead not to mention dragons.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I don't know if you can really consider a setting in which magic use is rare "high fantasy".

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

I don't know if you can really consider a setting in which magic use is rare "high fantasy".

how much magic do you remember in lord of the rings?

i only remember a few times anyone used magic, and it was only by the elves and wizards.

heavy use of magic or not isn't a sign of high fantasy, it is rather the use of the real world verses a world that exists seperate from our own, has it's own consistent rules and logic.

game of thrones is high fantasy, it just rarely showcases it because martin became fixated on politics and not moving the story along.

there are dragons and undead monsters, giants and forest spirits and other things including magic users and magic swords.

true low fantasy is something like conan or kull, they take place in the real world and magic is considered a disruption of reality not a part of it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Istavaan

A real medieval MMO might be a bit to restrictive..the only thing you would be fighting is other humans. there would be no variety in races and no monsters.

Why would that be a bad thing?

Anyone wanting a "medievil" game would want a game that was probably more realistic.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Why would that be a bad thing?

Anyone wanting a "medievil" game would want a game that was probably more realistic.

Yep, I'd love Anglo vs Saxons online.

Personally, the whole 'fantasy' genre (high, low or otherwise) has gotten extremely tired.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I think the OP means fantasy not medieval per say.  It used to be everyone could not get enough of outer space (deemed sci-fi) but then that teacher blew up in the shuttle.  Now all we want is to ride away on a unicorn and forget that anything explodes outside of movies.

There are many fantasy medievalish games.  Just not any well enough made to be worthy of note.

I am personally for the fantasy genre!  Go unicorn, gooooooooooooo!!!