Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any one else get that vaniella WoW feel again?

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Any one else getting that feeling playing this? This is not a bad thing at all, I feel like the open worldness, seeing players in the ACTUAL world rather than instanced off, people coming together to do world events, etc etc, feels like home again :D

Comments

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Ofc that is why we are in the presence of an amazing game :D

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

No and I think you should have that checked.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I only got that "urge to play" feeling with 4 games - UO, AC1, WoW and now GW2. Other games like LotRO were nice at release, but it wasn't the same thing (possibly because LotRO was/is just a WoW clone with Tolkien setting).

So yes, for the first time since 2004, I REALLY wish the game would be already released.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

5 days for BWE3 and I feel like it's a month away....

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

There have only been a few games that I had that "this is a good game", feeling about... UO, DAOC, AC, and now GW2.  Each of them had a feeling of a uniqueness for an mmorpg that I just knew would last me for years. You could tell by playing it, the detail ingame, the artwork, everything, that the people who worked on it really cared and gave it their best.  I've been waiting for a long time for another great RvR type game like DAOC was, hopefully GW2 fills that spot.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Having been an old DAoC player, GW2 has the same feel DAoC had.  I can't wait to play! The two beta weekends I participated in with GW2 were awesome! Looking forward to the 3rd one this coming weekend

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I keep getting them withdrawal symptoms after every beta weekend event, so I guess it will be the same after this too. Personally I'm really looking forward to spending some time in this game after all the previouse weekends as the game has always run well apart from the odd bug here and there.

Bandit

Asbo

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Nope....

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by seridan

5 days for BWE3 and I feel like it's a month away....

so true

• OgnagolOgnagol Member Posts: 3

I've been avoiding betas so I can get a fresh view of the game when it releases.  However, some of the above posters likening the "urge to play" to their AC experiences has definitely got me stoked though.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Yes I got that feeling, but I didn't have it with vanilla WoW because I was playing FFXI at the time,then EQ2 and GW and then LOTRO.

I did play vanilla WoW somwhere in between but somehow it didn't get me hooked, the graphics just made my eyes bleed (FFXI graphics were superior in my book) and the story was meh, anything else just a casualized version of what came before it.

• OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Ognagol

I've been avoiding betas so I can get a fresh view of the game when it releases.  However, some of the above posters likening the "urge to play" to their AC experiences has definitely got me stoked though.

At least try the classes and races :)

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.

• nGumbeinGumbei Member Posts: 33

Well .. finally people who share the same feelings as me !

• ev1lb0bev1lb0b Member UncommonPosts: 37

For sure and after hearing about Orr and endgame I get the feeling it's going to be around for a long time. I wonder if the term 'Vanilla Guild Wars 2' will be used in the future?

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

Ah... though I could never get into WoW because something about it bored the everloving shit out of me, I completely understand what you're talking about, My first MMO was one that many people never got the chance to play, It's still out but it's changed so drastically that it just isn't the same.

The game was Conquer Online 1.0. Not sure if it was the brutality of the game, the epic pk system (to this day still the best I've ever seen), The very skill based pvp itself (this term is generally thrown around too loosely), or the intense rivalry type of community that conquer brought out but it was a hell of a game back in the day.  Unfortunately it was cursed with a pretty dumb developer that managed to screw the game up more and more with every single patch, It was always a popular game and still is (though mostly egypt players) which is great but it turned their eye's to straight greed becoming the most p2w developer I've yet to encounter (yes more then pwe)... Anyways ever since Conquer turned to shit I've played countless MMO's trying to find another one that could appeal to me half as much as conquer did, The problem was that the genre was so stale and boring from 80% of all of em trying to rob from WoW that It became pretty shitty.

GW2 is the only one in this entire time that's been able to beat it in every single way, for me at least

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160

Interesting. WoW was my first MMO and it was like a cross between heaven and crack for a while. I never thought I would get that feeling again from an MMO, but I'm excited now. BWE3 will be my first opportunity to play GW2.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by nomatics856

Any one else getting that feeling playing this? This is not a bad thing at all, I feel like the open worldness, seeing players in the ACTUAL world rather than instanced off, people coming together to do world events, etc etc, feels like home again :D

But vanilla WoW was crazy amounts of instanced and singleplayer focused...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by infofront

Interesting. WoW was my first MMO and it was like a cross between heaven and crack for a while. I never thought I would get that feeling again from an MMO, but I'm excited now. BWE3 will be my first opportunity to play GW2.

People should not expect heaven. The game is good and so much fun, but having to high expectations will kill any game in the long run.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I am still waiting to not be bored out of my mind every time I play GW2. I still will play it and I am sure someting will grab me but it's introduction leaves something to be desired. Horrible story and nothing but combat from the first moment you enter. If it can reveal itself to be more than an arcade style mmo I'll jump more on board.

I pre-purchased the game as it was good on paper but several mechanics which some players seem to be calling the next coming of the savior simply seem shallow tricks. I allow some games weeks to grab me so likely I may just skip this beta and play release when I can actually get into the game.

You stay sassy!

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Not getting the vanilla WoW feel again, but I am getting the vanila Everquest feel again. And that's even harder for me to get than the vanilla Wow feel.

If I had to describe it, it's something like coming out of the dungeon in Oblivion after character creation, after the emperor was murdered. You see this huge open world. You can go in any direction. It's your choice. Guild Wars has that open discovery kind of feeling. For a few months at least XD

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

People should not expect heaven. The game is good and so much fun, but having to high expectations will kill any game in the long run.

Yeah that was probably a big exaggeration, and I've learned to temper my expectations over the years. I just want to get sucked into the game and have a lot of fun.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Well, compared to the lobby game it has become today I wouldn't mind it going back to what it was in Vanilla tbh.

And on topic: Yes, I know and share the OPs feeling as well!

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

God I hope not.

I played vanilla WoW and still can't see what the big deal was.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Adiaris
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Well, compared to the lobby game it has become today I wouldn't mind it going back to what it was in Vanilla tbh.

And on topic: Yes, I know and share the OPs feeling as well!

Ok... i just like to inject something here... WoW today offer you more oppertunity to get out in to the world then ever before... Since you are no longer bound to standing around a meetingstone / spamming trade to get a party, and while larger servers might feel a bit cheapned as the sense of community have diminished with the LFD tool the fact is that it have nnever been easier to do things outside of the city... .. . The main problem is that (and this will happen to GW2 too) the population is very top heavy and can not/will not bother to get out in to the world.

This is not really any fault of the game though.

Apart from that GW2 looks like a very solid game and i think it will do very well.

This have been a good conversation

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Yeah that was probably a big exaggeration, and I've learned to temper my expectations over the years. I just want to get sucked into the game and have a lot of fun.

Well, that will happen ,)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)