Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(New Radical Idea): Using Kickstarter to further post released AAA/Indy MMO development

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

(New Radical Idea): Using Kickstarter to further post released AAA/Indy MMO development.

Kickstarter has gained much popularity lately, especially when it comes to the video game industry.

Well a issue I notice with MMOs is the post release development.

MMOs get tons of profit at times, which they used for the pre release development and marketing. This usually leads to the standard MMO launch window of of high player count around launch, which funds the publishers back,

but a massive population drop usually follows.

the Subs numbers/ shop numbers that follow dont seem to push for major post release upgrades. Maybe new content updates here and there, but thats about it.

well what about really big post release projects and the speed that these can be done, if developers had more funding.

check out Rift/Warhammer/DAoC for example.

they use Gamebyro engine. Think about how much money it would take to change those three games over to a new engine post release, and how much content updates would be neglected. Now imagine what these developers of those three games could do if they had extra funding from Kickstarter to both simultaneously upgrade the engine, while also still 100% effort into pushing content update.

engine upgrade doesnt have to be the only kickstarter-post-release-project, but thats just an example.

it could also lead to other major changes possible, quicker. 

Imagine a MMO that would get regular content updates, the size of a standard expansion pack, funded fully by kickstarter support.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

so, basically, ... you want me to pay for the game, sub to the game, and then pay them again via kickstarter?

well replace kickstarter with item shop and you've just described most mmo's out there.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by chelan

so, basically, ... you want me to pay for the game, sub to the game, and then pay them again via kickstarter?

well replace kickstarter with item shop and you've just described most mmo's out there.

thats sort of the point. players can actually see the bonus they add up with kickstarter. more trust. more support from the community. more major changes.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Why not just have a "donate" button on the website?

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

A kick starter is basically that, something to kick start development wether it be in gaming, technology and what not. Not to kick start a product after its already been released. That almost defeats the purpose of calling it a KICK starter. Your not kick starting anything when the product has already launched. Your in essence, just giving the company more money like a tip. Will it get you better service, yes. But then you should just call it that, a tip, or as one guy put it, a donate button. This radical idea just sounds like someone who's bored.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Sounds a lot like the PBS pledge drive system.   It wouldn't be unreasonable to consider for a non-profit game, but volunteer donation systems don't mix well with for-profit business.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

You have to be fucking kidding me.

Pardon my french.

So box + sub + cash shop + rmah + kickstarter. What else? My kidney?

If they want to update game engine  - then do expansion with this as main feature.

Or re-launch game with that.

If they want pure support from gamers - add donation button.

Hell would have to freeze for me to kickstart EA or other big coporation game.

Maybe EA /Activision / Nexon kickstart some niche ideas themself instead.

Geez seriously.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I can't fathom giving Electroinc Arts "kicker starter" money when their CEO's are all just living it up on yachts in California.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am not funding any kickstarter stuff. I will *only* pay for entertainment products when it is available. I don't buy promises.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Kickstarter makes me very wary of upcoming MMORPGs.  The fact that they're relegated to begging for money from strangers on the internet shows that they have funding issues. Even support for triple A MMOs dries up after awhile if the game isn't successful.  I wonder if a kickstarter MMO can even get off the ground.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Kickstarter makes me very wary of upcoming MMORPGs.  The fact that they're relegated to begging for money from strangers on the internet shows that they have funding issues. Even support for triple A MMOs dries up after awhile if the game isn't successful.  I wonder if a kickstarter MMO can even get off the ground.

I would not bet any money on it.