Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Offended by Blizzard's new strategy to recruit players

Comments

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by Worstluck

This offends you?  Talk about getting easily offended, jeez.

As far as I can tell, it's not mandatory.  A guild does not have to participate in this.  I don't see how this is a bad thing?  If people enjoy the game and they want to help new players get into the game, they are somehow working for Blizzard?  You have a warped sense of work.  This reminds of Eve Univeristy and I think that is cool.  Not that WoW is difficult in any sense, but like it's been said the community is pretty shit and maybe if a new players meets some nice people willing to help them at first, they may want to continue playing the game.  Maybe then they will join your guild.  Seems like a win-win for everyone to me.  I don't see how this effects YOU in the least. 

Again, If the GM dictates so, I'd have to participate, leave, or be the social pariah. I couldn't raid with those guildies if I left them. The decision wouldn't have to be unanimous for the GM to volunteer us all.

If I was still playing the game I'd even like to be a part of something like this to be honest.

Originally posted by XAPGames

I'd be afraid that the attitude of newcomers would be "I'm special, power-level me... it's your job" or the ever popular "I don't want to farm to earn gold, give me yours".

I'd drop a guild in a heartbeat if they catered to either.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Slampig

Originally posted by Dexter2010
    Blizzard is starting a new campaign to entice new players to WoW.

Frankly, WoW’s gameplay isn’t so difficult as to warrant mentoring, and I think it's terrible that Blizz would hinder the game play of paying subscribers without offering compensation except a useless title, in the hopes of increasing their subscriber base. To commit these volunteers to 4 months of sub fees and take away the guild’s identity (its name) for this length of time is outrageous. If Blizz wishes to offer such a service, they should do so without expecting players to pay a sub fee so they can log in to perform the company’s duties. Blizz has turned a pastime into a job (I’m not even referring to raiding this time) where you literally pay them to work for them, and it’s unethical.

If my guild master subjected me this, I’d immediately leave the guild. They have no right to sign me up for more work after my full time job.

Wouldn't you be paying them anyway?

One guild per realm that VOLUNTEERS... 

Christ, over react much?

Pay to play, not to mentor.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

This is an excellent device.   I played WoW for 6 years, 5 of them unguilded.   Finding is “good” guild is next to impossible.   Finding a “bad” one is not.   Good Guilds have become exclusionary, this is a tool to identify “Good” Guilds that are not exclusionary.   I suspect or at least hope there are additional qualifications that are not listed, like little or no other player reports or bans of guild members.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Lets be real about this. The only people I've ever known to need help leveling in WOW were completely incompetent. That is pretty much the end of that story.

Mid-Post EDIT: Changed my mind, this is a great idea. Think about it for a minute. We get those noobs who don't know how to switch targets (the kind of dps that never switches off the boss no matter what) being led by people who likely have never done more than basic heroics, they can all keep eachother down, like when you try to save a drowning person but neither knows how to swim.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Believe it or not there are a lot of 'new" players triying an MMO for the first time. The concept of aggro, tanking, DPS etc are not known to them. Hopefully someone, unlike the OP, will participate in this and try to make the game a better experience for the "noobs" and for those who may be playing with them.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Lets be real about this. The only people I've ever known to need help leveling in WOW were completely incompetent. That is pretty much the end of that story.

Mid-Post EDIT: Changed my mind, this is a great idea. Think about it for a minute. We get those noobs who don't know how to switch targets (the kind of dps that never switches off the boss no matter what) being led by people who likely have never done more than basic heroics, they can all keep eachother down, like when you try to save a drowning person but neither knows how to swim.

Plesae tell me you plan to stay in WOW, I hate running into players with your attitude in my MMORPG's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Just remeber, they are not actually forcing anyone or any guild to participate. Just another stab at Blizzard by OP. shame on you.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

You are offended by Blizz because they want to do something nice :O.  Is there any point to argue with you about that topic? i don't think so

Originally posted by Disdena

I'm sure that this move is a direct result of data mining. I would imagine that they discovered a very strong correlation between the following things:

• Quitting the game after only one or two months
    • Rarely or never joining groups and guilds, or sending/receiving whispers
    • Playing few or no other MMOs
    • Saying that the game is too empty, too hard, confusing, or couldn't find new things to do
    In short, Blizzard looked at the reasons why people leave the game (in the majority of exit surveys, not the 0.1% who ragequit at max volume on forums) and matched up those answers with real data from the game to figure out that the biggest preventable cause of cancelled subscriptions is not having friendly and knowledgable people to play with. So here's their answer to that.

This was never a problem in MUDs. In UO. In EQ. If you weren't from that era, then you don't know. Your entire server existed to play with you, entertain you, and advise you. Now people get that from guilds and wikis, not strangers. This looks like a move to fill that hole, and I approve.

[mod edit]

Some people are missing my point. Peers helping each other is great, having a company initiate a program at a player's expense is not acceptable. Perhaps they should get 2 free months?

Your personal attack is uncalled for.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Some people are missing my point. Peers helping each other is great, having a company initiate a program at a player's expense is not acceptable. Perhaps they should get 2 free months?

It's optional.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I don't see why you would complain about this. It's optional, it's social and it can be a good way for guilds to meet, and/or mould, potential new members and a good way for guildless people to really get some serious dedicated help.

Seriously.. anyone not happy with this has totally lost the point of MMOs altogether.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

New players? You have got to be kidding. Why would anyone in thier right mind even think about playing wow, if they have never played before, when there are so many new games out today that simply blows wow away graphically and gameplaywise?

I mean seriously...

Originally posted by Kyleran

Lets be real about this. The only people I've ever known to need help leveling in WOW were completely incompetent. That is pretty much the end of that story.   Mid-Post EDIT: Changed my mind, this is a great idea. Think about it for a minute. We get those noobs who don't know how to switch targets (the kind of dps that never switches off the boss no matter what) being led by people who likely have never done more than basic heroics, they can all keep eachother down, like when you try to save a drowning person but neither knows how to swim.

Plesae tell me you plan to stay in WOW, I hate running into players with your attitude in my MMORPG's.

You say that now then you're the guy who initiates the vote to kick when the nub who is supposed to tank shows up with +spirit gems in slot.
    Originally posted by colddog04

It's optional.

Not when your GM decides for you.

And I'm done with this thread.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by colddog04

It's optional.

Not when your GM decides for you.

And I'm done with this thread.

You can leave the guild if your GM decides for you. And if your GM doesn't ask people about it, then you are in a shit guild.

It's completely optional. And apparently very exclusive.

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

LoL if you screw up in a raid the guild master can now sentence you to community service!  Do you have to wear an orange vest?

You say that now then you're the guy who initiates the vote to kick when the nub who is supposed to tank shows up with +spirit gems in slot.

So players like that deserve to be disgarded and forgot about? Fuck em, eh? They arn't good at the game so we'll just not even bother trying to help them?

Everything you're saying shows exactly why this mentoring system is needed.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Frankly, WoW’s gameplay isn’t so difficult as to warrant mentoring, and I think it's terrible that Blizz would hinder the game play of paying subscribers without offering compensation except a useless title, in the hopes of increasing their subscriber base. To commit these volunteers to 4 months of sub fees and take away the guild’s identity (its name) for this length of time is outrageous. If Blizz wishes to offer such a service, they should do so without expecting players to pay a sub fee so they can log in to perform the company’s duties. Blizz has turned a pastime into a job (I’m not even referring to raiding this time) where you literally pay them to work for them, and it’s unethical.

If my guild master subjected me this, I’d immediately leave the guild. They have no right to sign me up for more work after my full time job.

Why is a voluntary mentoring system so problematic to you?  It is voluntary, any decent guild leader would discuss such a thing with his/her members, and if you are in a guild that wouldn't discuss this with you, you should quit the guild anyway.

Edit: I should have read through to the end as Colddog already said what I said.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I don't see a problem with this.  I suppose some people have a hard time understanding that there are gamers that enjoy helping others.  Only this time you're being marked and recognised by Blizzard for doing so...

Originally posted by Vannor

Lets be real about this. The only people I've ever known to need help leveling in WOW were completely incompetent. That is pretty much the end of that story.   Mid-Post EDIT: Changed my mind, this is a great idea. Think about it for a minute. We get those noobs who don't know how to switch targets (the kind of dps that never switches off the boss no matter what) being led by people who likely have never done more than basic heroics, they can all keep eachother down, like when you try to save a drowning person but neither knows how to swim.

So players like that deserve to be disgarded and forgot about? Fuck em, eh? They arn't good at the game so we'll just not even bother trying to help them?

1 tab to google will tell anyone what they need to know. Are you signing you're guild up for this program?
  • Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

First this is not a mandatory thign that you as a player has to do, or the guild must do unless they signed up to do an were chosen to do be the one guild per side on the server. If the guild  as people have said signs up without the members knowing or agreeing they should, then leave the guild, and your issue is solved with only losing the guild standing till the four month period of the event ends. If the guild was all about identiy and people actually being apart of it, over just looking for the best guild to raid in they would communicatte what they were planning. This sounds more like the minority of a guild being worried they will have to actually do what the rest fo the guild wants to do, or leave an lose their spot in the guild. Also this is more of a social tool reeally as the guild an members gain largely nothing, no new items, perks or such outside a title for it making it a choice of wanting to help players. It will be fun to watch the selfish players in guilds have to drop guild if they do not want to partake in their guild's desire to help other gamers, and then have to lok for a new guild.

• TheFirstSinTheFirstSin Member Posts: 29

It's Blizz's attempt to bunker up for the coming release of GW2, and recovery from TSW. all there is to it.

Originally posted by Vannor

1 tab to google will tell anyone what they need to know. Are you signing you're guild up for this program?

I don't play WoW anymore or have ever been hooked on it, it's never been a top MMO for me..

If I was running a guild in WoW though and the majority of the members were up for it then, sure, I'd get on board. Those members that didn't want to take part wouldn't have to. I'm not the sort to be running a guild though, I don't have the time or dedication for that.

I help out people in every MMO I play though. At the moment, in TSW, I answer every question I know the answer to in the general chat and will keep talking to that person if they need more help/advice, I'm like that in every game I play. I help everyone I come across that seems to be in a tough fight and look like they are losing. I often give away items I don't need for free to lower level players. So if you are trying to find out if I'm a hypocrite then, no, I'm not.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Your*

It's ironic that you insult others above for being "incompetent" yet you yourself cannot differentiate between a contraction and a possessive adjective.

Here is some reading to help you educate yourself: http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/youryoure.html

/facepalm

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

How in the world is this hindering the gameplay of paying subscribers?  Only guilds who want to do this (and many certainly will) will apply.  As with any guild activity, the guild's participation in it should be diplomatically discussed with its members.  This whole program should have exactly zero negative effect for anyone involved.  

That said, I also don't really see how this is supposed to help lure more players.  My best guess is that this is an experimental system whose data and feedback they will use to perhaps develop and implement a similar system in the future, or in a future MMO.  This especially seems to be the case because it will only be available on such a limited number of servers.  

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Lets be real, EVERYONE including yourself at some point was also a noob to use your term.  You express the attitude that has destroyed the social aspect of raiding in WOW, and exactly why mentoring is required.   the 'incompetent' need mentoring more than anyone no?

Food for thought, unless you are in a World top 10 guild, some people think you are a noob - its an interesting culture in wow isnt it :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D