Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the point?

123457»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Just ask Riot games how much players love to look cool.  

CoH kept running for years from player's fascination with cosmetic appearance.

The phenomenon is pretty well documented by now.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

People pay upwards of hundreds to thousands of dollars for normal hats in TF2 with particles attached.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

"What's the point?" Funny, I asked the same thing before I quit wow. What's the point of playing an endless gear treadmill where all your "hard work" is utterly wiped with every expansion and severly diminished with every new raid/pvp season.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Yet not documented well enough, apparently!

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Jimmy562 

People have fun doing the gear teadmill. Not everybody enjoys doing something for nothing.

As soon as you play a video game, you do something for nothing... what's your point? ;-)

Not everyone feels that way. 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Yup. Some players like to feel good about themselves and superior with stat based gear so they can kill everything with 1 shot. Others like to feel superior with vanity items and will rinse and repeat content just as much. Carrots on stick. They just work. Hm, should be an mmo slogan.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115

You are right you should just stop playing and let us play :D

• HybridvampyrHybridvampyr Member Posts: 61

There is no Point and that my friend is the Point!

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    Originally posted by GosuRusha510

How is that fun? with no rewards?....what ever happen to risk and reward?

What ever happened to playing for fun?  I remember when the only rewards in a video game was beating a level and getting a high score as a bonus.  I think that's been lost in the MMO genre for a long time.  Just playing for the fun of it.

What's great about this loot system is, if someone I play with doesn't logon for a while and comes back, it really won't matter.  We can still play together without one of us destroying everything, while the other stands back bored as hell.  

Really, I don't mind getting loot that makes me more powerful.  What I do mind is the gear treadmill it causes.  I'm just so tired of a game turning into a job to get the best gear.  

Those F2P games just proved that you could finance entire games through a vanity shop.

Shrug, more customization, always good.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

People have fun doing the gear teadmill. Not everybody enjoys doing something for nothing.

As soon as you play a video game, you do something for nothing... what's your point? ;-)

I know it has been posted before (on this thread) but it deserves a repost http://www.darklegacycomics.com/346.html

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by seridan

I know it has been posted before (on this thread) but it deserves a repost http://www.darklegacycomics.com/346.html

This is just full of win.

BTW. WHY are we having this discussion?

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I was playing Orcs Must Die this morning, for largely the same reason.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I was playing Orcs Must Die this morning, for largely the same reason.

OH GOD! I'm glad I'm not the only one playing this game over and over XD

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by GosuRusha510 How is that fun? with no rewards?....what ever happen to risk and reward?
    MMOers are so stuck on the gear treadmill they dont even know they are not having fun any more. So you play content to get more powerful to be able to get to harder content to get more powerfull to go do harder content to get more powerfull. Why not play content for the fun of it? Why do you play any video game other then a MMO? To get gear or see and play the game? GW2 is bringing back just playing the game to have fun. 

For as long as i can remember(80-90's), RPG's have had progression systems, a better sword, a better shield, a better magic..

The incentive was always to make your character more powerful.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Originally posted by GosuRusha510 How is that fun? with no rewards?....what ever happen to risk and reward?
    MMOers are so stuck on the gear treadmill they dont even know they are not having fun any more. So you play content to get more powerful to be able to get to harder content to get more powerfull to go do harder content to get more powerfull. Why not play content for the fun of it? Why do you play any video game other then a MMO? To get gear or see and play the game? GW2 is bringing back just playing the game to have fun. 

For as long as i can remember(80-90's), RPG's have had progression systems, a better sword, a better shield, a better magic..

The incentive was always to make your character more powerful.

it hasn't always been a gear treadmill though.

i remember in Meridian 59 most of us ran around in cheap crap gear all day simply because equipment wore out so fast. i of course kept some high end armor and weapons around but i didn't just run around in them.  i hardly ever used them.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by GosuRusha510

What's the point of doing instances at low level and at 80 over and over, if gear doesn't matter?

Skill points and cosmetics.

In other words, character advancement.

Oh, and to have fun with friends.

In other words, the same 'point' as always.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

well in BW2 i did te jumping dungeon in the WvWvW zone....why? BECAUSE WAS FUN AS HELL , took like 2h but oh man , we were 4 friends at ts laughing every min of that 2h....the lol @falling ,trying to find the way :)

we did the story mode dungeon (was kinda easy but fun noneless) , however we tried to do the explorable dungeon, we GOT OWNED so bad by traps , and the spider boss and guess what? we still had fun! , what we got? Nothing  (well i got a robe with a bit better stats) , but the "fun" and "laughs" = my reward :)

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Ah this amazes me every time it comes up.

There IS gear progression in GW2 - it just isn't restricted to one 'elite' path (aka Raids....).

Dungeon gear is the same power level as the BEST crafted gear which is the same power level as the BEST soloing & PvP-sourced gear.

ALL of these will require effort and application to gain.

What the 'where's my reward' crowd are obfuscating with this tired arguement is the fact that effort should mean EXCLUSIVE reward - the need to be in a small and elite crowd of people who can actively or passively boast about the fact.

The fact is - 'pixel-booty' creates a reward-based endorphine hit in the brain, most strongly associated with winning - the whole 'I am better than you' trip. This is basic human, hierarchical behaviour. The people most prone to this (i.e. who get the greatest endorphine hit from it) tend to be the loud and proud 'leet' crowd. It is they - and their reward-addicted brains who rail against the alternative.

I actually think GW2 - considering his, need a little 'I am better than you' in the mix.... it just remains to be seen if cosmetic deifferences in kit, the effort, but equal effort formula for gear and the unique mix of PvP caters sufficiently for it.

I think it does - having been a reward junkie myself.... but if that is because I have grown up a bit, or because too much of it in the past left me jaded, well, I don't know yet.

But playing as a team and feeling you are not outmoded by 24/7 players whose one virtue is having played 99 thousand more hours than you is a good thing.I have been on both sides of this and didn't appreciate being on the gear-dominated side AT ALL. This extremely tired 'old-mode-MMO' scenario creates as many (if not far, far more) negative feedback experiences than good ones in any game.

Let's hope the change has the numbers on it's side - I think it will, and this type of complaint will finally be understood to be the overly-vocal minority mantra I strongly suspect it always has been.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

In before :

What's the point of life if we have to die in the end ?

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****