Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The itemization is the only thing that worries me about this game

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by BrooksTech
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Have you read about the legendary weapons?

PS: and no, it doesn't surprise me that people don't want to "work" in a video game - they want "fun" ;)

The OP has a valid point.

And, The_Korrigan, don't cnofuse effort with work..  Putting in effort to aquire an item in an MMO is fun to a lot of gamers.

Effort to aquire items still exists in GW2. I think that's where the original poster's point falls flat. You will have to get a solid set of gear that matches your build well first. Then, if you want to, you can spend "effort" on getting cosmetic items that you like.

And if you want to have multiple builds, you will have to aquire gear that fitst that new build. Putting in effort to aquire things is definitely part of the design of this game.

Yes, but you won't have to "work hard" in order to become competitive, neither for PvP, nor for PvE. It won't take long at 80 to have a set of gear with best stats, you won't have to grind for weeks as a weakling before you finally catch up. Then, you can "work hard" (aka make efforts) to earn better looking gear, up to legendary and above.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

PS: and no, it doesn't surprise me that people don't want to "work" in a video game - they want "fun" ;)

And, The_Korrigan, don't cnofuse effort with work..  Putting in effort to aquire an item in an MMO is fun to a lot of gamers.

Effort to aquire items still exists in GW2. I think that's where the original poster's point falls flat. You will have to get a solid set of gear that matches your build well first. Then, if you want to, you can spend "effort" on getting cosmetic items that you like.

And if you want to have multiple builds, you will have to aquire gear that fitst that new build. Putting in effort to aquire things is definitely part of the design of this game.

Yes, but you won't have to "work hard" in order to become competitive, neither for PvP, nor for PvE. It won't take long at 80 to have a set of gear with best stats, you won't have to grind for weeks as a weakling before you finally catch up. Then, you can "work hard" (aka make efforts) to earn better looking gear, up to legendary and above.

And that piece of sentence is one of the great things about GW2 IMO.

• TakitonTakiton Member Posts: 73

And that piece of sentence is one of the great things about GW2 IMO.

You could also take a break and return without having to get "farmed" back up

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by nomatics856

Kinda worries me., that no one wants to work to get good gear.

They've been "worrying" about it since 2005.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Originally posted by colddog04

Quality name Item color
    Junk Gray
    Common White
    Fine Blue
    Masterwork Green
    Rare Yellow
    Exotic Orange
    Legendary Red
    Mystic Purple

Ah that's the chart I was looking for.

Note that at level 20ish, I started being fully decked with Masterwork weapons on my Warrior, without even trying.

Yeah, I was crafting greens as well.

Is green pretty much the final tier in stats?

Just rewatched the end game talk.   Per Eric, Legendary Weapons power wise are based on Exotics.  That leads me to believe that Exotics are the final stat level?  They also mentioned that Exotics can be gotten at the Mystic Forge.  I'm not sure we'll know for sure until someone gets some of them. 

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Yep and if it still worries some , they have fore sure not grasped what GW2's hype is about.

• crescens87crescens87 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by wnunes
    Originally posted by wnunes

They have the same lv if they are using the same type of gear.

There is a progression. blue - Green - Orange. ( it has more colors)

This kind, so its not THAT cosmetic, and its not easy to obtain an Orange equip

IT requires 60-80 badges to aquire ONE equip in the WvWvW.

The best level 80 items are obtainable through, PvP, PvE (solo or group), crafting. The legendary items won't be more powerful, they will just have a badass apparence.

Yeah there's a "color code" progression, but there are no gear tiers. Once you have the best stats, any new gear you get will be purely cosmetical, and won't make you even more powerful. It's not like WoW where every new raid tier or PvP season makes the previous gear obsolete.

Where am i saying that is the same thing as WOW? haha

I´m only saying that gw2 HAS gear progression.

Gear progression in that when you level up you get better gear, dude once you are at the next level where there exists new armor/weapons all those weapons will have the potential for the same stats, not one having more than the others.

Guild wars 2 is about skill and style, use your skill to look stylish

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Its hard to call it "hard work" when you can approach gaining the cosmetic gear at your own pace at anytime you choose however there will still be a lot of effort required while trying to achieve these pieces....

This games focus is on fun and individual pace on the PvE side but even PvE power gamers with the right mindset have plenty to chew on in this game as well..

Playing GW2..

• nGumbeinGumbei Member Posts: 33

Guild Wars 2 is a living example of the philosophy: gaming isn´t a job but a way to have fun. However, there´s gear in GW2 and anyone stating that GW2 doesn´t care about gear at all is giving false information. The quality/color of the itmes is the biggest proof. When u get higher there, u have the chance to get better items.

However, getting gold items doesn´t mean that u '' should '' get better stats than green. Gold items, simply, have bigger chances to bring u better stats. Nothing more than that. This system was in GW (1) too, many gold items were actually not as good as greens, however other gold items had stats, none green item could ever get.

In any case, just play nd have fun ;)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606

Old way of MMOing: Woot Im top level, I can almost do the fun stuff. I just need to get a raid set of gear and some PvP gear and I am all set. (1-2 months later) Great I am geared and I can do tier 1 raids and my PvP set if good enough I can stand toe to toe with most players. Unless I see someone in PvP gear, then I need to run away. (6 months later) WOOT I am in top tier gear and can do any raid, and my PvP set is top gear and I dont have to think much to beat people in normal gear. I can now solo 2-3 players at a time and the only fair PvP fight I have is someone else in epic PvP gear. Wait... is this what I wanted? (Month later new set of gear comes out for PvP and 3 new raiding tier sets) Darn I need to go spend 3-6 months grinding gear to get back to where I was to do the fun stuff I like doing and be able to play with my friends.

GW2 way of MMOing:Woot I am top level, I can do most of the content in the game if I have skill. Wonder what my friends are doing tonight. I am going to see if they wana kill stuff. (few months later) Woot I have the best gear in the game and can play any content if I have the skills. In PvP fights are still fair and I have to use my skill to fight any player 1v1. Ooo this is fun. (6 months later new gear comes out) Hay I still can do what ever my friends are doing and PvP is still skill based. AWESOME!!!

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

There is no hard to get equipment or loot, or powerful hard to get loot and every one has a easy chance of having the best gear, and dungeons dont drop rare gear.

We've been preconditioned for the last 7 years (mainly by wow and its clones) to expect mmos to be gear grinding treadmills where games feel more like work than actual fun.

Unlike WOW, the point of GW2 is not gear grinding but playing the game itself. Anet does not want you wasting your time "working" to get gear; they want you out there playing with your friends in pve, spvp and wvw. In a game like GW2, with no monthly sub, their goal is to make it fun so you buy more expansions and get your friends to buy the game. Unlike in WOW where the goal is to keep you chasing after gear much like Heroin Hero! thus keeping you "busy" and having to continue paying the monthly sub. I know my comments are prob slanted, I guess I can't help it as an ex-wow addict... eh sorry, ex-wow player. I've chased after gear for enough years in wow that I'm ready for a game that is truly fun to play where I don't have to spend hours without end working to get gear - GW2! :-)

[mod edit]

/popcorn

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by nGumbei

Guild Wars 2 is a living example of the philosophy: gaming isn´t a job but a way to have fun. However, there´s gear in GW2 and anyone stating that GW2 doesn´t care about gear at all is giving false information. The quality/color of the itmes is the biggest proof. When u get higher there, u have the chance to get better items.

However, getting gold items doesn´t mean that u '' should '' get better stats than green. Gold items, simply, have bigger chances to bring u better stats. Nothing more than that. This system was in GW (1) too, many gold items were actually not as good as greens, however other gold items had stats, none green item could ever get.

In any case, just play nd have fun ;)

Its not really giving false information. When people say that gear isn't important they say it for the following reasons, every single piece of gear is equalized in sPvP. Getting max stat gear is so easy that it becomes irrelevant to the whole gear does matter mentality, OFC if you have 0 karma at level 80 I can see why it might be a grind. Guild wars 1 had a quality chart with gold being the max, but everybody was still able to get max stat armor and weapons, ofc the super rare stuff was hard unless you worked for it.

[mod edit]

/popcorn

haha... I'm staying out of this one... already got banned for a day for talking politics ;-p

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by jondifool
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Yep and if it still worries some , they have fore sure not grasped what GW2's hype is about.

Well, the typical WoW player (historical example) begins agitating Anet to change the game to Just Like Blizzard within a week of arrival.  In 2005, Anet didn't buy it, and most of those players ended up returning to WoW.

But we know how well the Clones have been publicly received in this industry, lately. 

Is the anti-clone sentiment actually strong enough to bridge the "game will phail, no phat lewtz"?

Ball is back across the net now, another prediction and more yakyak required.  Call in the sheepdogs, the herd is unsure which way to turn.

Tune in next month, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

[mod edit]

I thought the problem with GW2 is that people can buy their way to the top.  Isn't that rampant capitalism?

Man, I can't keep up with the complaints anymore, I'm so confused. :(

.... more seriously, there's tons of things to work for in the game, it's just that working for these things is for fun and looks, not because it's mandatory.

Do you have something against looking better? 

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Every one wants healthcare, every one wants money, every one wants to be the best, every one wants great gear, every one wants free this free that, and no one wants to work hard for it any more.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

OP, games are things people play for fun. They are not a way of life, they are not a lifestyle. Playing a game unless you are a professional that makes money off it, is not suppose to be a job. There is a reason why JOBS play money and that is because if they did not pay money, nobody would do them.

MMORPG only became jobs because companies figure out that they could use loot as a way to string you a long for 15 dollars a month. In some ways it is kinda sad that people want to pay 15 bucks a month for the honor of being treated like a rabbit. If you want a game that is like work, here is what you do:

1. Buy the google classes or any AR glasses.

2. Program it to display HP/MP of all your co workers. And whenever you get a new assignment have the AR glasses programmed to treat the assignment or project like  a quest.

3. Get paid for doing actual work .

OR

just got buy WoW and all its clones and pay them for the honor of doing busy work. LOL

Originally posted by Meowhead

[mod edit]

I thought the problem with GW2 is that people can buy their way to the top.  Isn't that rampant capitalism?

.... more seriously, there's tons of things to work for in the game, it's just that working for these things is for fun and looks, not because it's mandatory.

So if no one works for better gear, and there is no greater gear at the end, its going to fail, UO tried this where GEAR was not IMPORTANT. That is when mages became the only PVP class and any other build was usless.

Every one wants healthcare, every one wants money, every one wants to be the best, every one wants great gear, every one wants free this free that, and no one wants to work hard for it any more.

Actually, in the case of GW2, everyone wants to be the best based on skill, not gear. Everyone gets great stats, but not everyone gets great gear. And people are willing to "work hard" to get the best looking gear.

Originally posted by silvermember

OP, games are things people play for fun. They are not a way of life, they are not a lifestyle. Playing a game unless you are a professional that makes money off it, is not suppose to be a job. There is a reason why JOBS play money and that is because if they did not pay money, nobody would do them.

MMORPG only became jobs because companies figure out that they could use loot as a way to string you a long for 15 dollars a month. In some ways it is kinda sad that people want to pay 15 bucks a month for the honor of being treated like a rabbit. If you want a game that is like work, here is what you do:

1. Buy the google classes or any AR glasses.

2. Program it to display HP/MP of all your co workers. And whenever you get a new assignment have the AR glasses programmed to treat the assignment or project like  a quest.

3. Get paid for doing actual work .

OR

just got buy WoW and all its clones and pay them for the honor of doing busy work. LOL

Games are fun, but mmorpgs are supposed to be a different breed where they are fun yet there is a community sense of real life sense to an mmorpg where usually the player works harder to be greater than other players and is rewarded usually through great gear.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

There is no hard to get equipment or loot, or powerful hard to get loot and every one has a easy chance of having the best gear, and dungeons dont drop rare gear.

GW1 was the same when it came to armor/weapons and it's worked out very well. You want different skins you do something a bit harder for them. With higher end loot having the same stats but different skins, it doesn't force those that don't like to gear grind into doing so. Those that want the cooler looks still have those goals of getting the cooler looking gear. You have a choice, I see nothing wrong with that. There are always people with epeen that feel they can't sit around and degrade others because they don't have the time to grind with a system like this, those people will have to adjust or move on.

Games without gear grind are fun and can be successful. UO and DAOC back in the day had no gear grind and were successful for thier time. Glad we have a game in 2012 that's like they were with gear.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Actually, in the case of GW2, everyone wants to be the best based on skill, not gear. Everyone gets great stats, but not everyone gets great gear. And people are willing to "work hard" to get the best looking gear.

If you want to be best through skill only, play a FPS? It does not work in mmorpgs, it never has. UO proved this. In the end all melee classes will get the short end of the stick. Thats why most melee have to now end up using range and that is why gaurdians currently suck in PVP.

Originally posted by Meowhead

[mod edit]

So if no one works for better gear, and there is no greater gear at the end, its going to fail, UO tried this where GEAR was not IMPORTANT. That is when mages became the only PVP class and any other build was usless.

I would stop guys, if you want to continue fine by me but keep it in pm's or mmorpg will most undoubtedly close this thread. just saying :-)

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

What?  Are you underestimating the power of LOOKING GOOD again?  Man, people paid =25= dollars for sparkle ponies in WoW.  Blizzard literally just rolled around in the money, giggling and squealing.

Do not underestimate how many people will work ridiculously hard just so they can shoot rainbows out of their bow.

Of course there's better gear at the end.  It just happens to be better in =awesomeness=, not better as in 'Well, now I have this gear so I'm better than other players'.

That sort of stuff leads to really shitty imbalanced PvP and keeps something about as physically far away from the concept of an eSport as possible.

Also, if everybody is being mages, that would be because the game is imbalanced, and has nothing to do with gear.  I'm not even sure how you're drawing a correlation between the two.