Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paratus: more than 200 items brings server to its knees

psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

From Paratus:

"While the numbers aren't finalized, we must impose a limit on the total number of banked items globally. The reason for this is that, with the introduction of bags, there could be a seemingly endless bank capacity which would bring our servers to their knees. The solution for now is as I've described. If you have a home base, say Bakti for example, you could store 200 items in that bank and not use other city banks."

Anyone else shocked at the bank limits?  200 items per character is a pathetically small amount for a modern MMO.  I had thousands of items in my Darkfall bank.  Modern databases easily deal with millions of items.  Something is horribly wrong with the engineering design here.  

Before deathshroud chirps in:  yes I know you can have additional items in your house, that still doesn't excuse the abysmal limitations of the item database.

Comments

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Hehe.

Originally posted by psykobilly

Anyone else shocked at the bank limits?  200 items per character is a pathetically small amount for a modern MMO.  I had thousands of items in my Darkfall bank.  Modern databases easily deal with millions of items.  Something is horribly wrong with the engineering design here. 

Yes. But SV are using .txt files.

What happens to banks that currently hold more than 200 items? And how long until SV finds out that 200 items are still too many if (..if, not when) more than 10 people log on? "It's Google's fault" :D

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Well this game never really did well, I'm not surprised It's getting worse.

• Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

Ive never in my life heard of bank limitations on any mmorpg in my life, what kind of server are theyt runnign from the 1990's?

Must be an old server that cant handle mroe then 200 items in character bank toons.

IT's getting from bad to worst.

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

I shouldn't be surprised by this. The MO Devs just can't get their shit together and make the game worth playing. 200 limit.... that's pathetic.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Bank limit isnt weird, as many MMOs have them and most are below 200. However the reasons for it in MOs case is weird as any modern MMO should be able to hold millions of items as said. They must be using a really weird solution.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

200 isnt all that low provided you can fill all 200 with bags that in turn hold 6 each. But i understand the need for a limit since with the new bags and no cap theres gonig to be insanly high amounts of stuff in peoples banks but there has to be a better way of going about this.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by deathshroud

200 isnt all that low provided you can fill all 200 with bags that in turn hold 6 each. But i understand the need for a limit since with the new bags and no cap theres gonig to be insanly high amounts of stuff in peoples banks but there has to be a better way of going about this.

Imagine players with more than 200 items when awakening hits... Poof?

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I could see them maybe needing to impose a limit like this if they had a thriving sub base of over 100k players, but they are lucky if they have 5k players atm ( and I'm being generous with the 5k estimation).

The database cannot handle more than 200 items per character bank in a game with a very low population? This does not make sense at all. If they are going to charge a sub fee and purchase price for the game, they really should have hardware that can actually support the infrastructure.

Typical SV garbage, they just don't get it, and keep trying to take shortcuts over and over...

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Bizarre, but not surprising.

It seems there's always some new area that SV manage to screw up and then proceed to write a vague, technical-sounding excuse about.

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

From Paratus:

"While the numbers aren't finalized, we must impose a limit on the total number of banked items globally. The reason for this is that, with the introduction of bags, there could be a seemingly endless bank capacity which would bring our servers to their knees. The solution for now is as I've described. If you have a home base, say Bakti for example, you could store 200 items in that bank and not use other city banks."

Before deathshroud chirps in:  yes I know you can have additional items in your house, that still doesn't excuse the abysmal limitations of the item database.

There... That´s the key sentence. Nothing is set in stone yet, so don´t go and think that 200 will be the final number... Even Henrik in posts after that one stated that the number if going global bank will be higher, but I guess they will go for the local banking that they have already.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Yup. 200 items per bank are okay on the test server with 15 people online. With the 80 people on the live server, I'd say a limit of about 10 items is more likely.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

Hey, Mortal Online is an indie game made with a small budget to begin with and wasn't successful on launch.  Why are you surprised by the lack of cutting edge technology and top notch server capacity?

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Right now there's a limit on total items you can have in local banks and that's based on the number of slots each bank has.  

Lets say currently each bank has 50 slots with roughly 10 local bank location that's a total global limit of 500 individual items that can be stored in a local bank.  

I don't think I know of a game were the average player carries "millions" of individual items in there bank.  Usually most games will have "stacks" of similar items.  

Paratus should probably do more beta testing on the limits of total items you can put in banks before the server or the client starts getting effected.  There are litterally billions of different items in Mortal Online, but I believe that players who try to stuff there banks with strange combinations of armor, weapons, cloths, pots, etc will be few and far between.  

I think what were not considering here is the fact that banks are the only real safe place to store your valuables in MortalOnline.  Guildbanks and privately owned houses can always be destroyed and have there items looted.  

If there's a low limit of total global bank items (and 200 items is not a low limit) this will force players to start storing extra items in these less safe locations making the game more hardcore more interesting and overall more fun.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

It would be different if every crafted item didn't have unique stats.

~but queue angry people being angry, either way.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by SHOE788
    Originally posted by deathshroud

Imagine players with more than 200 items when awakening hits... Poof?

well henrik said that if they did go down this route players wont loose items over 200 most likely wont be able to bank any more items until they are ocne again below 200. But with henrik saying it that might not mean you beleive it.

Originally posted by username509

Right now there's a limit on total items you can have in local banks and that's based on the number of slots each bank has.  

Lets say currently each bank has 50 slots with roughly 10 local bank location that's a total global limit of 500 individual items that can be stored in a local bank.  

I don't think I know of a game were the average player carries "millions" of individual items in there bank.  Usually most games will have "stacks" of similar items.  

Paratus should probably do more beta testing on the limits of total items you can put in banks before the server or the client starts getting effected.  There are litterally billions of different items in Mortal Online, but I believe that players who try to stuff there banks with strange combinations of armor, weapons, cloths, pots, etc will be few and far between.  

I think what were not considering here is the fact that banks are the only real safe place to store your valuables in MortalOnline.  Guildbanks and privately owned houses can always be destroyed and have there items looted.  

If there's a low limit of total global bank items (and 200 items is not a low limit) this will force players to start storing extra items in these less safe locations making the game more hardcore more interesting and overall more fun.  

thats not exactly true since theres an exploit to stack multiple items atop each other. most likely many players have 2 or 3x that current cap within their banks.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Actually what was said is that unlimited items would bring the server to it's knees as you quoted, not 200 as you implied in your inflammitory title. So many reading comprehension failures.

And most games have item caps, you just don't know it because they don't add in bags that increase storage space 2 years after launch. UO had this problem when they launched. There was no limit and eventually the servers lagged to hell. they eventually put weight limits on banks and chests which acted as limits.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by ltank

Actually what was said is that unlimited items would bring the server to it's knees as you quoted, not 200 as you implied in your inflammitory title. So many reading comprehension failures.

And most games have item caps, you just don't know it because they don't add in bags that increase storage space 2 years after launch. UO had this problem when they launched. There was no limit and eventually the servers lagged to hell. they eventually put weight limits on banks and chests which acted as limits.

So many logic comprehension failures.  If the server is given a cap of 200 items, what that means is that 200 is considered to be the safety threshold for the database storing the items.  You're correct that 201 items might not bring it down, but it does mean something is fundamentally wrong with the engineering design and implmentation.

I have no problem with caps.  Capping by weight makes perfect sense.  Darkfall also copied the cap-by-weight design of UO, but you could easily have thousands of items before hitting the weight cap.  Some guild banks had a lot more than a few thousand items with no issues.

Cap by number of items is poor game design, period.  It means you are doing something wrong on the backend that is taking up too many resources.  If the devs said the cap was 2k items, I'd say that's reasonable even though it's not the best way to do it.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by ltank

?...

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98

As much as I don't like the approach they are taking here, most of people on these boards still post a bunch of BS.

1) Comparing MO items to most other games is pointless. the amount of data describing one item in MO is enormous compared to other "similar" titles.

2) They can't design this system with low player count in mind.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Bobbie203

Ive never in my life heard of bank limitations on any mmorpg in my life, what kind of server are theyt runnign from the 1990's?

Must be an old server that cant handle mroe then 200 items in character bank toons.

IT's getting from bad to worst.

Well, Lineage 2 had bank limits and I believe LOTRO has bank limits as well. i know one needs to upgrade to various tiers until you get to the top but there is a limit.

So I'm not too surprised.

Older games to be sure but it's not unheard of. There could  be more.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Bank limits are often used in conjunction with cash shops.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Bank limits are often used in conjunction with cash shops.

-My first thought as well.

I hope not but.... I can certainly see extra Bank Space being sold.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

From Paratus:

I don't think I even own 200 items in real life. I used to own 200 CDs but have gotten rid of them over the years.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!