Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World - please help me with my decision!

pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Hi guys, me again..

I'm playing Rift at the moment.. I started a top a time ago about Why People are coming back to Rift. In the time Rift was starting to be cool again, more players are always good. Then I realised that this new wave started to fade again... and I realise the why - Secret World.

Is the game worth? Since everybody is playing it, should I try it???

Comments

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Well, i don't know if people are leaving Rift for TSW. Anyway, simply asking if you should or not here on the forums won't get you much. Many will say yes because they like the game, many will say no because they don't.

The only answer i can give you is, find out more about it, read reviews, wiki, guides, videos, etc, etc and see if it fits your tastes. If so, buy it, if not, don't. And have fun in whatever game you play OP.

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

In fact I already did that... I watched videos, read stuff. But I think human opinions have much more value, specially in this forum, that for me is the best mmo forum. So I want to listen to players, cause if someone think I should I want to know the why, if not I want to know too, got it.

Thank you in advance to all :)

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

TSW grew on me,at first I disliked the way you were limited by the number of missions you could have,and what missions were under what category(witch is important to note,as you can only have a certain amount of each one). and it goes like this.

1 Story mission-(sky blue)

1 Main mission: This includes Investigation (green),sabatoge (yellowish),Main missions (red)

3 Side missions-(blueish/grey): collection,following foot prints, not to story driven,but relates to other mission categories sometimes.

The crafting as well is some what a pain in the ass,but once you learn how it works its a snap.

Honestly what I see,is when a game makes you learn mechanics people tend to not like it. everyone wants to be able to pick up and play and be a pro with in the first day. with TSW most likely not going to happen. all in all I am really enjoying how much Funcom went away from the norm. but thats me. and like the other person said, People who like it will say yes buy it,and the people who dont like it will say no dont buy it.

they just released a buddy key,  its only 24hours,but if you head to the forums im sure there is a thread. Maybe you can get lucky and get a buddy key. Id give you one but i sent mine to a friend.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by zaylin

they just released a buddy key,  its only 24hours,but if you head to the forums im sure there is a thread. Maybe you can get lucky and get a buddy key. Id give you one but i sent mine to a friend.

Oh yeah, i forgot. OP, get a buddy key and try it out for yourself. image

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by pongdun

In fact I already did that... I watched videos, read stuff. But I think human opinions have much more value, specially in this forum, that for me is the best mmo forum. So I want to listen to players, cause if someone think I should I want to know the why, if not I want to know too, got it.

Thank you in advance to all :)

You want a buddy key? its only 24hrs though.

The game definately has an akward transition phase, longer than 24hrs.  Its different and will feel akward compared to Rift or any game like it.

Great game if you get into stories and like a game that treats you like someone with the ability to think.  Not a whole lot of hand holding regarding combat missions or answers.  But you certainly wont feel the game is predictable.

Not the best pvp game, it has battle grounds and a working version of what SWTOR had in ilum (massive persistant pvp battle gound with serverwide buffs)..no FFA pvp though.

It has a single chat server, and your able to group with anyone on any server...servers only matter for pvp.  No rolling the wrong class no picking the wrong server ect.  XP gain and skill point rewards are constant though out the whole game (just higher tier skills cost a lot more)  Crafting is right out of minecraft no craft professions to choose or crap gear spam to skill up on.  Dungeons are highly mobile and theres like no trash mobs to kill...drop a boss move on mabey one trash pull and then next boss..typically 5 bosses i think.  Again with the constant XP gain you get the same AP/SP as a new player if you decide to go back and run a noob dungeon to help ect, noob gear can be dissasembled and made into higher level weapons though combining mats ect.

It has its flaws but its pretty much the best pve game out since EQ and its delivery of missions and quests is fantastic, especially stealth and sabotage missions that require dealing with security systems, lazer trip bombs and mobs you cant possibly win a fight against.

You wont be impressed witht he flash and fluff but the core mechanics are top notch.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I hear The Secret World is still working out a lot of glitches.  Just stick with Rift until you get bored of it.  

• HybridvampyrHybridvampyr Member Posts: 61

If you are still enjoying RIFT then why bother spending more money on a game you may or may not like. You shouldn't base your decision of going out and buying a new game on the reason that 'Everyone else is doing it'.

Try and get a hold of a 24 hour buddy key or wait a couple of months and im sure there'll be some kind of trail or incentive released then maybe you can try and make up your own mind.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

I also think that buddy key would be a good answer to your questions. Sadly I already gave my key away.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

There are not many glitches I have run into. TSW is very much a horror scooby doo questing theme park, you have to use your brain and real world research to solve most things.

It's short fall are two fold.  The 3 faction pvp zone is brilliance but so small in scope. Secondly it does what most games have done in the past it baits and switches you to a gear grind treadmill.

The game for me is better than dcuo and swtor, the questing system the spec wheel the crafting system are all so awesome.

For me though I have an annual pass and I want to play planetside 2. So even though TSW could be great I'd rather stick to those other 2 and save myself the money every month.  Even though I think its worth it.

I am torn but I just don't feel like grinding gear... again.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

I hear The Secret World is still working out a lot of glitches.  Just stick with Rift until you get bored of it.  

Yeah there are some annoying glitches. The only one that bothers me are that some of the quests are bugged. What people are doing is pressing Shift+f9 to get their instance number (mine was 912 for instance), then they post in general asking for an invite to someone not in the same instance. Once you join their group you are prompted to join their instance. 99% of the time this fixes your quest issue.

Its funny though, I am putting up with it when normally my tolerance is 0 for this stuff. 

Hello guys,

Thank you for all the opinions! Answering the reason why I'm thinking going from Rift to TSW is because Rift is so empty. MMO is a game that strongly depends on numbers of players, in Rift (compared to the past) it's hard do get a full 20 raid for ROS for example, really really hard. Even 10 men raids are so so weak, this happened because the last update focused totally in PVP, with the new conquest. This conquest is ruining the PVE, since it happens every 1 hour and every player you ask to do something PVE says: Ohh I can't, conquest will start in --- minutes! So this is not nice, low player numbers and all focused in just one thing. In other hand I don't know how things are in TSW, got it!

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414

Moved to the correct forum.

To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]

Moved to the right place??? General??? Why?

We are talking about TSW and Rift... all MMO right?

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

I feel your Rift pains, sad my issues at launch were about the same.

Server was full...98% of the server was completely engrossed with pvp ONLY.  There were a total of 3 raiding guilds 2 on the other faction, ours have to pug slots for full raid groups which meant begging the pvpers who were not baddies to come help...often they would reject since no pvp rewards.

The hardmode dungeons and raids were fantastic, they were VERY difficult.  Right around getting fed up with another raid failing with 16 members and seeing they were making some hard mode dungeons easier next patch i decided to leave.  PVP in that game was so dull every match so lobsided...one team stomped other team camped the spawn and argued rarely a decent match and when it was decent it was still boring. 

Also i see your point...i guess they want us talking about rift and tsw here.

On the plus side of things TSW dungeons dont have more than one or two trash pulls between each of the 5 bosses. Cant speak on hard modes difficult im not there yet but the mechanics of the dungeons is awesome.  Lots of people running them.  You can group with people from any server, server only matters for pvp.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Hi guys, me again..I'm playing Rift at the moment.. I started a top a time ago about Why People are coming back to Rift. In the time Rift was starting to be cool again, more players are always good. Then I realised that this new wave started to fade again... and I realise the why - Secret World.Is the game worth? Since everybody is playing it, should I try it???

The box has the word Funcom written on it. So, ask yourself what you think of them. Personally, I feel that the record speaks for itself. It says "we'll take the cash and run!"

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Coming from RIFT to TSW is like changing a cheap bicycle for Ferrari

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Having played both Rift and TSW it is a easy choice for me TSW.While Rift was okay for a few weeks I couldn't ever get into it something to do with the combat in RIft feeling so slow and sluggish to me it reminded me alot of WAR.The guys at Trion do pump out tons of content but I just cannot force myself for whatever reason to play it for more than a few days at a time I am the same way with LOTRO.I love the companies who make both of the games but they just cannot hold my attention or give me a challenge or even fun 99% of the time I have played them.I maxxed lvl in Rift and in LOTRO.

With TSW I play it ALOT and when I am not playing it I am thinking about wanting to play it or looking on forums for various builds and such to try I haven't done or felt that way about a mmog in years probly since Anarchy-Online.I have played pretty much all the P2P mmogs that have came out including Tera and SWTOR while I would enjoy myself in the new mmogs I would hit a point  about a 3-7 days in and get bored with it. With TSW I am still pretty much running around in the same 2 zones doing the same missions for most part and enjoying it to me that says alot.I am having fun just trying out new builds.Only time I got even a tad frustrated with the game was The Blue Mountain I still haven't managed to build a deck yet that will help me do well in it solo wise but I am sure I will.I just went to Egypt and so far it has been alot of fun also.Still alot of things for me to do and some more zones to see and with funcom adding in new content I am sure it will continue.

So 3 weeks in and I am still having a blast and no queston I will be resubbing.Also what someone else said about 24 hours not being enough time to really try it they are 100% right.I tried the game during a beta weekend and HATED it.I got through the tutorial and remember logging off going man another funcom game thats gonna be junk.Then I logged back in and learned and did a lil more and continued doing that.It probly took me 2 beta weekends of playing for a total of about 8 hours to get to the point I understood and began enjoying the game.Funcom really should have done a 3 day trial imo.You almost have to retrain your brain abit to enjoy it after doin the same WoW style mmog quest system and skill system you can feel abit out of your element and overwhelmed first time you get into TSW.It has been so many years since I played a different type of skill system game I had about forgotten how much fun they are.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Hi guys, me again..

I'm playing Rift at the moment.. I started a top a time ago about Why People are coming back to Rift. In the time Rift was starting to be cool again, more players are always good. Then I realised that this new wave started to fade again... and I realise the why - Secret World.

Rift has an 84 on metacritic and way more polish + updates.  TSW has a 73.  In reality TSW started with half of the content of day 1 rift. No one can desagree that rift has four plus times the content of TSW. My addition is rift also has better core game mechanics and polish. better instances and raids.

I played rift.

Originally posted by tares

Hi guys, me again..

Rift has an 84 on metacritic and way more polish + updates.  TSW has a 73.  In reality TSW started with half of the content of day 1 rift. No one can desagree that rift has four plus times the content of TSW. My addition is rift also has better core game mechanics and polish. better instances and raids.

I played rift.

I really hope that GW2 comes out already so you can stop trolling and go away playing it. 

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I played rift.

Actually TSW has more content now then RIFT with all its year worth of content updates. And RIFT is no more then WoW clone while TSW a fresh and innovative game.

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

do. not. buy.

Originally posted by mindw0rk

I played rift.

Actually TSW has more content now then RIFT with all its year worth of content updates. And RIFT is no more then WoW clone while TSW a fresh and innovative game.

He just hates TSW with passion and you can see it in his post history. He's crusading against TSW for about month already (while praising GW2 in GW2 forum btw). I played Rift too. It was an OK game technically but total failure story/lore wise. It felt too generic fantasy to play any longer than a couple of months.

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

If you're having issues with finding people for PvE, you can always try another shard. I'm on Wolfsbane (which aparently was/is the most popular server) and even that Conquest does take a lot of people, there's still a fair bit of pug raids going. In fact when latest patch hit, there were login ques, longest I've seen was 15min (I'm in Australia so I don't really play during peak times) but guildie had a 40 min que once. I think things settled down a bit now.

Having said that, I did get TSW and really enjoying it and spending most of my game time on it, but I'm still playing Rift, basically just doing event dailies and guild 10 and 20man raids.

As people above said, do try it with a buddy key, however the game client is quite big. And initially combat is a shallow until you pick up a few extra skills.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Try TSW out - do not rush, let yourself dive slowly into the game and enjoy how it starts to grow on you - It is more fun than any themepark released in the last 10 years!

I ran only into 2 quest bugs and both were solved 1 and 2 days later as it was only some quest npc not arriving to forward the steps.
    Changing the instance would probably have worked but i was to lazy to do it.

Dx9 is the better choice for graphic bcs Dx11 seems not so much optimized and SSAO and Tesselation put a big burden on your System.
    Dx9 on Ultra is faster than Dx11, looks 99% as good and delivers constant high fps.

Assault Rifle with Anima Shot and Grenade (single target life leech and damage) is good for the first 2 zones, AE-Sword-Skills kill Zombie groups in the first zone with great ease - by then you will have made a huge amount of skillpoints and enough experience to build a deck of your own for your favoured playstyle.

The game is in a good shape and it was a very smooth release for a mmorpg.

PS: Take a look at this review:
    http://bnbgaming.com/2012/07/16/review-the-secret-world-pc/

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Hi guys, me again..

I played rift.

Which is pointless when said content is many times more interesting than Rift. The questing in Rift was rather dull what little I played. TSW doesn't have as much, but what it does have is bunches of fun.

<3