Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are modern gamers just too impatient?

1235»

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by comrademario

Just reading about a hoarde of people quitting Secret World and saying they're done with the game. This has been released for a couple of weeks now. Rift, SWTOR, D3 and a lot of other games have seen similar comments being made them, hell there are even people saying screw GW2 and that they won't go back before it's even friggin launched.

So my question is, are modern gamers just too impatient? I would say 100% of MMOs need time to iron out flaws, rework certain aspects of the game and just grow the thing before it can be considered polished. I know that a game that leaves beta and goes live should have all of these things done in advance, but it wasn't always like that, even WoW needed time to have the game live to gather feedback from players to help improve it. So is it modern gamers at fault (I would suggest that console gamers crossing into MMOs would have a lot less patience than old timers from 10 years ago)? Or should the gaming companies hold off releasing a game until it's 100%?

To answer my own question I think it's importany for a game to get released to open beta asap. We all knows that even a hint of postponing or dragging out release dates can be a death knell for a game. I would also suggest that a company will never know it's near 100% until players actually get in, play the game and give their feedback

the answer to your question goes beyond a simple yes and no answer.

you have to understand, that we live in a heavy advancing tech world.

Consumers expect new products to be all around improvements over past tech.

this isnt just MMO thing. No core gamers will except a new Video Game product on the new aged Core Systems, that has the same level and quality of game design as a game from the Mega Drive, unless it was advertised that way.

nobody is going to pay more or same amount of money for a new Smartphone, that is the same tech level or lower than the smartphones two generations ago are selling for today.

nobody is going to pay 1k$ on a modern PC that has the same/lower tech than a PC from the year 2000. come on now.

why would you expect a MMO gamer to do the same. again Console Games get ridiculed for going that route (unless they Nintendo of course), why would MMO's be excluded?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276

It just seems to me that people are losing sight of what an mmorpg is/was. Nowadays like another poster said it's all about getting max level and doing the good content or being ready for pvp. Of course you cant really blame people for rushing to max level when it only takes them a week to do so due to the insufficent content games put out. Look at netgames for example. They recently brought out R.O.D.E online which failed miserably in the content department. Even to the point where they were actually removing ingame maps as the weeks passed in obt.... Now you go back six years to the same company but to another game Hero Online. You could spend months leveling. Not hit max level but still have fun with the pvp.(until the cash shop crushed that later on down the road) I guess this is the progress people are getting impatient over.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Never tire of hearing how weak a hardware vs software analogy is?

I know, you could pick Windows or Adobe products instead of Cell Phones, but someone just might point out that with software, those extra additional features generally cost extra additional money, extra time, or both.

Except in this industry.  We expect dozens of new features, every release, with no delays, but no increased cost.  The relatively small but stable costs?  We bitch about being too high.  The box price jumped ten dollars since 2004!!!  Scream!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MiyuukunMiyuukun Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Never tire of hearing how weak a hardware vs software analogy is?

I know, you could pick Windows or Adobe products instead of Cell Phones, but someone just might point out that with software, those extra additional features generally cost extra additional money, extra time, or both.

Except in this industry.  We expect dozens of new features, every release, with no delays, but no increased cost.  The relatively small but stable costs?  We bitch about being too high.  The box price jumped ten dollars since 2004!!!  Scream!

I'm glad somebody finally said it. 

Like I said earlier, everyone is to blame on some level.  People aren't just impatient.  Game developers are not all lazy, greedy monsters(unless you're talking about EA, that's a topic for another thread, but I digress).  I think we just have to realize that MMO's are evolving and it's survival of the fitest out there.  We'll see what happens in the coming years...

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by jazz.be

To be honest I didn't read anything about a lot of Secret World customers leaving. And I'm daily on their official forums.

People seem to love the game.

But to answer the question I think spoiled is the better word. People are not able to start a game with a clear mind.

TSW is great at the moment a real surprise.....

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    perfect, flawless, without any type of problems.

no features that distinguish them from the rest

Any tell us who has won the grand prize on today's episode of Create the Most Extreme Forum Hyperbole™, Merril?!

"bu- but full voice-overs!"

If the feature can't keep the game standing on it's own, it's irrelevant if the rest of the product is still subpar. This should be obvious.

Next time I'll be sure to say "features that matter".

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • tab14tab14 Member Posts: 7

I am a young 52 years old.

I have been teaching children of all ages for 30+ years.

I do not see any difference at all in the children over the time period.   Maybe the parents have become worse?

Gamers are people that want to enjoy a game they play.   Forum warriors are something else.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

It's their fault!  Now hurry up and get this thread over with before I loose my patience!

j/k

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by Interesting

No effect on other players. Everyone is in their invisible unjustifiable bubble. Cant get hurt, cant get blocked, cant get pushed, cant get stolen, cant get anything. PEOPLE ARE IMUNE TO OTHER PEOPLE. The gaming industry went on the wrong direction.

Do NOT blame this on developers.   I won't invent numbers, but most gamers do not want non-consensual pvp.  

It's not a question of not wanting more realism in my games, it's a realistic acceptance of what some players are like on the internet, and they just live to grief others.   They thrive on ruining other people's play experience.

Now, if you want to add realism, do this:  if you attack another player without their consent (ie an agreed upon duel), you are branded as a criminal and will be immediately arrested upon recognition by any official police force.   You will then be tried and sentenced; anywhere from 2+ game YEARS in a jail cell, or if you killed the person you attacked, then you will be executed.   That character will be permanently deleted.

That's real consequences for actions.    You grief someone, even one time, you pay the price.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by thamighty213

It's not just modern gamers its everything about that generation they have no patience for anything and heavens forbid they have to put effort into anything.

If I had my way I would cull everyone between the age of 8 and 21 and get rid of that horrible generation that those slightly older than me created.

+1

Majority of people who play MMOs today aren't real MMO players, they came over from consoles, RTS, FPS games, where everything is given to them and the game is over in less than an hour if even that.  MMOs are not about instant gratification.  It's delayed, if ever at all.  If you don't want to sit at your computer for hours on end just to chop down some trees for wood and make it into a bow...then you shouldn't be playing MMOs (just an example of what a "real" MMO should be)

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

No we are not, its just developers miss the mark so often and then think its okay to cash cow milk their game 6 months after launch.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

If i owned a studio (with no publisher/stockholders to report to)

I would release the game as planned bugs or no (barring any insane game breaking bugs). While spamming the forums and other media that "ITS AN MMO. ITS A BIG FSKING GAME ITS GOING TO HAVE BUGS". This would weed out the undesirable customers who demand perfection with every game they migrate to. 

LOL "undesirable customers"?

WIth business principles like this, all you will get is "no customers".

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

"Are modern gamers just too impatient?"

In 1 word: Yes.

Player nowadays expect everything to be perfect, flawless, without any type of problems.

For example, they want launch to be perfect and to get in as soon a sthey click "Log-in" but are too stupid to even release the servers are getting hammered and many, and i've seen it all the time in live stream, players start going "That's in, i'm going to uninstall", like it's the companies fault.

All in all, impatinte gamers. Why do you also think the mmorpgs of today only have combat activities and are shallow in every other aspect? Because gamers can't take being slowed down and everything is "go go go go go"

Please,you buy a game and it is supposed to work rightaway,not in one week or two months.What would you feel if you bought a new car and next day you want to take your family on wacation it dont work?

You cal the guy who sold you the car and he laughs at you saying dont expect it to work rightawy.

Gees the devs should never sell more copies of a game than their servers can handel.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Vidir

"Are modern gamers just too impatient?"

In 1 word: Yes.

Player nowadays expect everything to be perfect, flawless, without any type of problems.

For example, they want launch to be perfect and to get in as soon a sthey click "Log-in" but are too stupid to even release the servers are getting hammered and many, and i've seen it all the time in live stream, players start going "That's in, i'm going to uninstall", like it's the companies fault.

All in all, impatinte gamers. Why do you also think the mmorpgs of today only have combat activities and are shallow in every other aspect? Because gamers can't take being slowed down and everything is "go go go go go"

Please,you buy a game and it is supposed to work rightaway,not in one week or two months.What would you feel if you bought a new car and next day you want to take your family on wacation it dont work?

You cal the guy who sold you the car and he laughs at you saying dont expect it to work rightawy.

Gees the devs should never sell more copies of a game than their servers can handel.

This ^^^

The good news is that there are always other entertainment choices. There is really no reason to put up with games with a lot of flaws.