Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Trion getting greedy

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,933Member Uncommon

What a non issue.

• DaezAsterDaezAster new york, NYPosts: 803Member
    Originally posted by warmaster670
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Only a matter of time before your only clothing option in game is a white shirt that says no frills in bold black letters across the back so you have to see it, every thing else in the cash shop but don't worry it's all cosmetic. lol....

making up situations that dont exist then laughing about them makes you look stupid fyi.

Well it was a joke and a bit of an exaggeration on my part but is becoming a common issue in many games to exclude the good stuff and use the excuse that it's not necessary and just cosmetic. Sorry if I offended you though....

• AstraeisAstraeis AmsterdamPosts: 331Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

What a non issue.

Explain.

It takes one to know one.

• helthroshelthros Miami, FLPosts: 1,449Member
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle
    Originally posted by helthros

The misplaced sense of entitlement amongst young gamers these days is absolutely disgusting.

Is the mount faster than anything you find in-game or as a veteran reward?

If so, then I could understand the outrage. If it's merely a cosmetic 'advantage' then please spare me this "I pay $15 a month - I should be entitled to everything" bs.

So they shouldn't be able ot sell hats and other merchandise because you pay $15 a month for a sub/ Please get off your high horse with this $15 a month BS. I'm sure you spend more in one night at McDonalds!

This misplaced sense that paying $15 a month means you are entitled to anything and everything the company produces is so misplaced that I would be embarrased to publicly state as much. Get over yourself.

considering this sub + cash shop isn't too old, i would question who the young gamer is. there were games before WoW.

Dancing around arguments like a true youngster, thanks for not disappointing. You still have yet to answer whether or not the mount is faster or any way better than these other mounts outside of cosmetics. You say it's "better", yet fail to inform how.

It's virtual merchandise. Game producers have sold merchandise for ages now, it's only recently that there has been a shift to virtual merchandise. It's still the same concept.

Using your completely bogus and whiney reasoning companies shouldn't be allowed to sell shirts and action figures either. I mean, since you pay $15 a month, you should be entitled to anything they produce, right? Cry more.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,223Member Uncommon

The misplaced sense of entitlement amongst young gamers these days is absolutely disgusting.

If so, then I could understand the outrage. If it's merely a cosmetic 'advantage' then please spare me this "I pay $15 a month - I should be entitled to everything" bs.

So they shouldn't be able ot sell hats and other merchandise because you pay $15 a month for a sub/ Please get off your high horse with this $15 a month BS. I'm sure you spend more in one night at McDonalds!

This misplaced sense that paying $15 a month means you are entitled to anything and everything the company produces is so misplaced that I would be embarrased to publicly state as much. Get over yourself.

considering this sub + cash shop isn't too old, i would question who the young gamer is. there were games before WoW.

Dancing around arguments like a true youngster, thanks for not disappointing. You still have yet to answer whether or not the mount is faster or any way better than these other mounts outside of cosmetics. You say it's "better", yet fail to inform how.

It's virtual merchandise. Game producers have sold merchandise for ages now, it's only recently that there has been a shift to virtual merchandise. It's still the same concept.

Using your completely bogus and whiney reasoning companies shouldn't be allowed to sell shirts and action figures either. I mean, since you pay $15 a month, you should be entitled to anything they produce, right? Cry more.

Whether you're young or old making references to age and posturing as though you speak from authority makes for an idiotic argument.  Just drop that.  It makes you sound silly.  I'm not young by any means and that has nothing to do with my position on the issue at hand.

Trion has billed the game as an entertainment service.  In many interviews (search for them if you want to read what is said - some are on this site) they've touted how their 'pay for' service model is superior.

Sure a lot of companies are double dipping with the sub + microtransactions.  What's the sub paying for if not for the development of the game?  If they're going to double dip then it's probably time to drop them like every other p2p game company.  If I have to pay a sub and still buy more pieces of the game through microtransactions then I might as well just go fully F2P.

• helthroshelthros Miami, FLPosts: 1,449Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Whether you're young or old making references to age and posturing as though you speak from authority makes for an idiotic argument.  Just drop that.  It makes you sound silly.  I'm not young by any means and that has nothing to do with my position on the issue at hand.

Trion has billed the game as an entertainment service.  In many interviews (search for them if you want to read what is said - some are on this site) they've touted how their 'pay for' service model is superior.

Sure a lot of companies are double dipping with the sub + microtransactions.  What's the sub paying for if not for the development of the game?  If they're going to double dip then it's probably time to drop them like every other p2p game company.  If I have to pay a sub and still buy more pieces of the game through microtransactions then I might as well just go fully F2P.

With all due respect, perhaps you could point out where I comment on anything you've said. Don't worry, I'll wait.

So let me get this straight, they shouldn't be allowed to sell merchandise because you pay for a sub fee? Do you have any idea how whiney and unrealistic you sound?

If you don't like what they're doing, unsub. Dollar votes count a WHOLE lot more than bitchy whiney forum posts. It's called capitalism.

• MortisRexMortisRex Columbia, TNPosts: 348Member Common
    Originally posted by Astraeis

What a non issue.

Explain.

Let me see if I can help you out here. The mount is not necessary for any aspect of the game. Trion will not snatch you off the street and attach electrodes to your nuts for not buying the mount. As a matter of fact, the only effect this will actually have is that you will not have a white tiger mount. Now, if a white tiger mount is absolutely essential to your gaming experience but you have some fundamental opposition to paying directly for such an essential item, then I would direct you to WoW and the nightelf race, whose white tiger will cost you in game gold only. Most gamers do not actually require one specific mount to enjoy the game. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, this is not necessary for absolutely anything in the game and it gives you absolutely no advantage over those who do not have it, Ergo, it is a non-issue. Hopefully this answered your question.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,223Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

With all due respect, perhaps you could point out where I comment on anything you've said. Don't worry, I'll wait.

So let me get this straight, they shouldn't be allowed to sell merchandise because you pay for a sub fee? Do you have any idea how whiney and unrealistic you sound?

If you don't like what they're doing, unsub. Dollar votes count a WHOLE lot more than bitchy whiney forum posts. It's called capitalism.

I never said you were commenting on anything I said.  I was referring to the text I highlighted above.  Try having a discussion or argument without belittling people.

I'm not whining.  I'm a paying customer and have been since game launch.  I'm pretty much well within my right to voice my displeasure.

This isn't about how WoW or EQ2 or TSW does things.  This really isn't about how everyone else does things.  It's about how Trion hasn't been doing it like everyone else and how they have, since before launch, talked about delivering their gaming platform as a service.

Since they've been delivering the game for the sub price it has been a value.  Not very many companies, and no A quality games, deliver the full game for the subscription.  Trion has inferred that they deliver the full game and more through their entertainment service model.   Some players don't want to see them move from that model towards a p2p + microsales model like everyone else has.  There is nothing whiny or entitled about voicing dissent.  I pay for the game and would rather pay a higher sub price than see them move towards double dipping.

I would hope that if enough people voice their displeasure they won't move towards content and microtransaction sales.  Then I won't have to unsub.  Rather than stomp off and sever my business relationship I'll give them feedback and see how it goes.  If I don't like then I won't resub.  Until then I'll continue to voice my opinion.

• Bcbud35Bcbud35 Wichita, KSPosts: 5Member

Wow mmo players are the biggest babies I have ever delt with. Its a mount people. It gives you NO gain.  So what its 15 bucks. That effin pocket change for me and if its not for you then OH WELL  *shades down* DEAL WITH IT!!. From what im reading you all should NEVER own a house.  Even though I paid a shit ton for my house, I still have to pay for electric, water, gas, shit even internet so i can play mmo's.   WAIT..... SO  EVEN THOUGHT I PAID FOR A HOUSE, I STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR UTILITIES??? THATS BS!!!  I CANT BELIEVE I PAID ALL THIS MONEY AND NOW I HAVE TO PAY MORE!!!!    Ya thats what you clowns sound like.  Good God, the human race has absoutly NO chance!!!!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,606Member Uncommon

I play Rift and I agree with the OP. I think it undermines the whole reason for paying a sub.

That said, It's not my biggest gripe. If that's all they ever sell, I can live with it. Or companion pets too. But if they ever start selling something that can be traded or offers any type of ingame advantage, that will be the day I cancel my sub.

I'd rather they fix what ever is wrong with the dam game client so it stops crashing every time I enter Sanctum.

Originally posted by MortisRex

What a non issue.

Explain.

Let me see if I can help you out here. The mount is not necessary for any aspect of the game. Trion will not snatch you off the street and attach electrodes to your nuts for not buying the mount. As a matter of fact, the only effect this will actually have is that you will not have a white tiger mount. Now, if a white tiger mount is absolutely essential to your gaming experience but you have some fundamental opposition to paying directly for such an essential item, then I would direct you to WoW and the nightelf race, whose white tiger will cost you in game gold only. Most gamers do not actually require one specific mount to enjoy the game. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, this is not necessary for absolutely anything in the game and it gives you absolutely no advantage over those who do not have it, Ergo, it is a non-issue. Hopefully this answered your question.

Not really. That side of the coin is not really an issue to me, but it is to others. On the other hand, the milking the cow mentality, a.k.a. good business, conflicts with the main reason I used to be attracted to mmorpg's, which is an issue to me.

You see, I play games as a form of escapism. I like to be in the game world and not being reminded of the real world while I am playing. Seeing characters on mounts and knowing they paid for it with real cash spoils the game experience I'd prefer to have for me. When Trion has to make extra money, I'd rather see them selling t-shirts, mouse pads, figurines, etc. That would not be game breaking. The fact that Trion sells in game items as most companies do nowadays, just means that my type of games are not being made anymore, which makes me sad. I still play mmorpg's, but these kind of practices drive me away when they become too invasive.

However, that did not motivate my question, and you answering instead does not help at all. So, no, your answer was not helpful. But thanks anyway.

• YansheeYanshee Panama City Beach, FLPosts: 55Member

i've supported Rift since launch, but this latest issue really bugs me for some reason. here's the announcement and link:

"Hail Ascended!

Introducing the ferocious “Armored White War Tiger”. Originally offered exclusively in Korea, this beastly mount can be yours for a limited time! Just visit your account page to check out the offer, you’ll find it right next to the Collector’s Edition and Ashes of History Edition upgrades.

We’re always trying out new ways to add more options to your RIFT experience and this is no exception – have fun!"

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/news-announcements/325459-armored-white-war-tiger-now-available-account-center.html

---------------

here's another post from Trion on the mount talking about the temperary low price.

"The once-exclusive Armored White War Tiger mount, previously offered only to Korean RIFT players, is now available as an optional purchase with a limited-time price on the Account Management Page for those interested in checking it out!"

---------------

so it's 15$ for a mount that's better then the 36 month vet mount. it's a mount for money like blizz has been doing. to me this feels like flat out greed.

Seriously? What? Too much for your piggy-bank?

Then don't buy it.

• palulalulapalulalula vukovarPosts: 655Member

Ah cmon! Greedy because they sell mount?? Do not buy that stupid mount

• davestr1zldavestr1zl MelbPosts: 218Member

I found it hilarious the 'Cikila' guy on like the 2nd page of their forum's thread said he hated the direction it was going, and that he quit TERA the day they did the same thing... but that he bought the mount because he wanted it and just hopes they dont keep doing it. LOL seriously, how dumb can you get

I'm really quite upset that Rift is starting to head in this direction. When Tera implemented a cash shop before it was even out a month, I quit on the spot. That being said, I've WANTED this mount. So I got it. But PLEASE Trion, don't head this way. We pay our subscription fees. ALL content should be obtainable IN GAME.

• MortisRexMortisRex Columbia, TNPosts: 348Member Common

What a non issue.

Explain.

Not really. That side of the coin is not really an issue to me, but it is to others. On the other hand, the milking the cow mentality, a.k.a. good business, conflicts with the main reason I used to be attracted to mmorpg's, which is an issue to me.

You see, I play games as a form of escapism. I like to be in the game world and not being reminded of the real world while I am playing. Seeing characters on mounts and knowing they paid for it with real cash spoils the game experience I'd prefer to have for me. When Trion has to make extra money, I'd rather see them selling t-shirts, mouse pads, figurines, etc. That would not be game breaking. The fact that Trion sells in game items as most companies do nowadays, just means that my type of games are not being made anymore, which makes me sad. I still play mmorpg's, but these kind of practices drive me away when they become too invasive.

However, that did not motivate my question, and you answering instead does not help at all. So, no, your answer was not helpful. But thanks anyway.

Sorry, didn't realize playing with items that have absolutely zero effect on your ability to play the game and gives them no advantage over you whatsoever would still engender so much bitterness and hostility. Let me ask this, do you also get very angry at people who drive nicers cars than yours? Say, if I were to drive past in my Corvette and you were driving a Cobalt, would you hit the message boards and rail against Chevy for allowing me to purchase a car that you have chosen not to purchase (despite you having the option with the only real obstacle being your wallet or your personal belief that everyone should have to drive a Cobalt because that's the choice you made and everyone has to make your choices or it makes you feel angry and bitter)?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

Oh, damn, is Trion the Villain of the Month?

Forgot to mark my new score card.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Professor78Professor78 TamworthPosts: 588Member

I purchased the mount, it's just cosmetic, liked the way it looked.

And I know for sure Trion will make use of the well earned cash injection from it, not just a cash cow like most other mmo's.

Core i7(d0)on Foxconn Bloodrage, 6gb Tri DDR3,GTX 680, 120gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 640gb Caviar Black, Windows 7, HAF 932 case, 24" Full HD Dell, Logitech G19, Rat 9, 50mb BB.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC MelfiPosts: 1,055Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Berikai

This mount was in the Korean CE so they're offering it to us for $15.They did the same with the spider as it was in a pack for $10.Supposedly that spider was in the Canadian CE.It's just fluff and they rarely do this so I don't have a problem with it.

This is it right here.

This is the second time this has taken place.

The spider was offered exclusively in the Canadian CE and people complained, so Trion offered it to everyone else for small fee($10 USD) to satiate everyone.  This is no different, and I have no problem with it.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

Sorry, didn't realize playing with items that have absolutely zero effect on your ability to play the game and gives them no advantage over you whatsoever would still engender so much bitterness and hostility. Let me ask this, do you also get very angry at people who drive nicers cars than yours? Say, if I were to drive past in my Corvette and you were driving a Cobalt, would you hit the message boards and rail against Chevy for allowing me to purchase a car that you have chosen not to purchase (despite you having the option with the only real obstacle being your wallet or your personal belief that everyone should have to drive a Cobalt because that's the choice you made and everyone has to make your choices or it makes you feel angry and bitter)?

I find it difficult to believe you do not understand and not just trying to troll me.

• RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon

Personally I find it funny ..   Especially when you consider the people that defend monthly subs, over F2P or B2P, then turn around in the same breath and defend cash shop items like this..  Hasnt' the argument been for the past year that Trions monthly sub pays for ALL the added content..   Appearantly when it comes to money grabs like mounts are excluded from such debate.. LOL   What's next?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Appearantly when it comes to money grabs like mounts are excluded from such debate.. LOL   What's next?

Haven't mounts been a traditional offering in vanity shops?  Lots of examples, lots of titles.

WoW drew the little line at "this is an in-game advantage, but a tiny one; we can get away with this".

When you have 80%+ of the market share, you can make the rules too.   Promise.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Asuran24Asuran24 St. pual, MNPosts: 517Member

Never have i seen mounts, armor, weapons, or such thigns that you gain from doing true content in the game as actual content but as a reward instead. Content to me is what you are doing in the game such as quests, zones, instances, raids, bg maps, area features, and such that actually are played in the game. As such no they are not getting greedy at all, as they are giving the layer base a chance to gain a mount that is or was only given out to a small group of players. Will they make money off it? yes but that i would expect they are a company after all, not a charity that gives out thgins for free. Also they are making a expansion which they might have wanted to get more money to produce, yet did not want to ask their investors for it, and thought that the community would be glad to pay money for a mount that  was exclusive for one group of people, and then use that money to improve the expansion.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Belvidere, ILPosts: 458Member

Well, I guess you can say it's greedy, but hasn't Trion been giving out free subscriptions constantly?  I don't see any other P2P game giving away 1 year subscriptions by the dozen.  Anyway, didn't we already have this whole greed discussion when Blizzard decided to sell a unicorn in WoW?

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Northwest, WAPosts: 172Member

"so it's 15$ for a mount that's better then the 36 month vet mount."  

Define better.  

When it comes to mounts/travel the only thing that really matters is speed.  Is it faster?  

It's only a 60% mount (unless you have something faster).  That's no "better" than any of the starting mounts.

It looks different.  That does not make it better..

If it was a pay to win item, like a mount that went faster than anything else available just playing the game, I'd be right there with ya.  But it's not.  It's just a different looking, basic mount that wasn't available here before.  Having it or not will not effect gameplay.

I don't think Trion is "greedy" for releasing it here.  I think having the option to buy it if you really want it is a good thing for their players.

• Originally posted by TwystedWiz

"so it's 15$ for a mount that's better then the 36 month vet mount."  

Define better. 

It looks different.  That does not make it better..

it's armored and all pimped out. it's why i think it's a better mount. they do it with a few of the mounts in game. everyone is going to see it a different way, but everyone in my guild says it looks better then the vet mount.