Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I Screwed?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I'm not a "twitchy" gamer.  I'm a middle-aged man with questionable reaction time and coordination.  I'm not good at kiting or strafing.  Is there any place for me in GW2, or will I just get mutilated?

Comments

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I wouldnt recomend playing a melee class as that requires quite good reflexes and situational awareness but I imagine youd enjoy the ranged classes such as elementalist/Ranger etc. They are less reflex bound and generally have better survivability.

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Saint

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Sounds like you might not be screwed but... Aliens.

Looks like you need twitch type add reaction to be awesome. Most likely you will be ok if you have less than 100 ping though, I think quite a few GW2 superfans forget that less than 100 ping usually beats "reaction time".

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Twistingfate

I wouldnt recomend playing a melee class as that requires quite good reflexes and situational awareness but I imagine youd enjoy the ranged classes such as elementalist/Ranger etc. They are less reflex bound and generally have better survivability.

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Saint

This goes espescially for PvE, PvP might require more strict reaction times to be competitive, even for range classes.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

You should be fine. Ranged would be a slightly safer option for you - melee really does require awareness and reflexes. Also, there's a lot of other things to do besides just combat. I'd also recommend finding a group/guild to play with, as in a group there's a smaller chance that you'll have to juggle with mob aggro, allowing you to focus more on harassing mobs and less in trying to just stay alive.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

just to add here.. ranged classes in GW2 include Warrior, Ranger, Mesmer, Elementalist, Thief, Necromancer, Engineer, and to some extent Guardian although at the moment they are harder to work into a purely ranged role than the others.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

OK, thanks all, this gives me some hope.  What is kiting like as a ranger, is it jump kiting like a hunter in WoW?

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

If you team up with other people, that'll help a lot too.  The main places where you're most likely to be irrevocably screwed is in the higher end structured PvP.  I mean, you might be able to play it, but you're never going to be a tournament winner with poor reflexes. :)

I'm sure if you get good enough people, you can do the dungeons, and maybe even explorable mode.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by vigg2004

I'm not a "twitchy" gamer.  I'm a middle-aged man with questionable reaction time and coordination.  I'm not good at kiting or strafing.  Is there any place for me in GW2, or will I just get mutilated?

i have those things and i will be having a blast in GW2. If we were talking specifically about dungeons and raids in WoW or other WoW clones then yes, that would be a problem... but in GW2 no, we will be just fine

:D

EDIT: oh i forgot PvP, i always suck at pvp and still have fun. so no, i dont see a problem there either

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

just to add here.. ranged classes in GW2 include Warrior, Ranger, Mesmer, Elementalist, Thief, Necromancer, Engineer, and to some extent Guardian although at the moment they are harder to work into a purely ranged role than the others.

They are a bit harder to use as ranged, but I played my Guardian almost exclusively scepter/focus at medium range. Has a lot of survivability, though not the best damage by a longshot. Sometimes I'll swap over to my greatsword and just wipe everything out though ;D

Is ranger kiting like hunter jump kiting in WoW??

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Most professions have a gap closer or some form of creating distance without the use of kiting or strafing.

Your most important utility is dodging.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

No, not really. It's mostly running and firing, or using your knockback / cripple to get away from the mob.

You can totally play this game as a 'non-twitch' gamer. However, it will be more difficult. Especially if you plan on playing solo most of the time.

I would say, sPvP isn't going to be very fun for you, but I'm guessing you probably already know that. On the PvE side you don't necessarily need twitch skills, and there is a larger room for error. Playing with friends also definitely helps. I would also suggest staying away from melee-heavy classes, as they do need to be a lot more careful.

Ranger, Engineer, and Elementalist would probably be really good classes for you. They can be a lot of fun, and have complexity to them, but it's much less reliant on twitch skills in a PvE setting. They are also all fairly ranged, and Engineer / Elementalist have pretty good survivability as well, if you slot the skills for it.

• c-motc-mot Member UncommonPosts: 51

you have the option for long bow and short bow as ranged ranger.

short bow has some kite specials (stun, snare) and a jump away shot where you take a back jump away from your target, the multi target special is a cone attack with additional poison damage.

long bow is more the DPS weapon (one special fires a bunch of arrows in succession). you have a shot that pushes your target away with a chance to knockdown. it has a very nice area attack (barrage) which will por a rain of arrows to an area and adds a snare.

i had no problems in pve as ranger. most of the time my pets kept the agro so i could concentrate on doing damage with my long bow.

if you select a sword for your main hand you dont need to do that much twitching anyway as 2 of the sword attacks will let you jump out of the targets way (one is a hit and jump back attack the other is a dodge jump behind the target).

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I'm almost 40 (just over a week from now, yikes!) and have questionable reflexes myself and I found playing a Thief in PvE using a mix of ranged and quick melee worked fine for me.

It also worked ok in WvWvW in large scale battles where I could step back for a minute if I had too.  Smaller scale battles (say 10 vs 10 or less) were a little harder to do and I died quite a bit more.  So I'd say for the most part you'll be ok just make sure you group with good people for the harder things (small PvP, dungeons, etc.)

Hope that helps!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Roll an elementalist or a ranger and you'll be fine. Melee will be harder for you. My mom who is 58 and doesn't have the best reaction and coordination was mopping the floor with people in pvp during beta weekends with an elementalist. She found it to be the easiest class for pve and pvp. She does use a G13 and a razer naga too though.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Blast! double post.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

No you won't get mutilated, you will be fine, it's more about picking your battles and pulling correctly.  GW2 combat has more to do with your combo choices swapping weapons with a timed dodge thrown in. It's not like Tera, Vindictus or a FPS where you snooze you lose. Range is easier and more forgiving for sure but  the melee is a bit crappy so far with anything difficult you end up mostly using your range to survive a group encounter.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Tayah

Roll an elementalist or a ranger and you'll be fine. Melee will be harder for you. My mom who is 58 and doesn't have the best reaction and coordination was mopping the floor with people in pvp during beta weekends with an elementalist. She found it to be the easiest class for pve and pvp. She does use a G13 and a razer naga too though.

Your mom plays GW2 and she is 58? That is awesome. Aside from me and my bro, everyone shuns gaming in my family.

OT: You'll be fine. Reaction time and coordination matters most in competitive PvP, dw abt it. As many have suggested play with friends or find a guild for harder PvE content.

Regarding range and melee, try both. There will be situations where one is better then the other, so why limit yourself? No harm in trying. Also, a smart player > quick reaction anyday.

• BrimstonelovBrimstonelov Member UncommonPosts: 17

Lol.  I too, am a I"iddle-aged man with questionable reaction time and coordination."

But I enjoyed the betas like crazy...and did just fine.

Trust me...you're not going to have a problem.

And if you do, we can adapt.

;)

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

pretty much, ya.

What about a necromancer, are those ranged and pretty straight-forward?

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

What about a necromancer, are those ranged and pretty straight-forward?

Not a bad choice at all. Like most classes it has both melee and ranged weapons. However, its the only class with a double hp bar known as Death Shroud. This allows you to play more aggresive and is more forgiving. There are a few viable builds, I would suggest reading up on it or watching intro vids.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I am 53 and did pretty good as a warrior in both PvE and PvP, so you will probably do fine! On release I'm switching to Guardian though because it is more my play style. Good luck to you!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

May I also suggest;

- A good gaming mouse and keyboard, (mine are from the razer range, Deathadder 3500dpi mouse and Black widow ultimate keyboard) as well as having a good sized monitor, (Benq 24") as well helps, yes to anyone who wants to add that bigger and faster are out there as well, but at age 46 these do me fine, I'm also a regular Battlefield 3 player and other assorted fps games supplement my diet of pc games along with mmorpgs.

- A good diet and set of exercises does a lot to help with gaming reaction time, a squeeze ball and regular dunking of your fingers and hands in fairly hot water, (e.g. doing the dishes) really helps a lot.

- And as mentioned already, playing with a group you know is always far more fun than keeping up with strangers.

Sorry I don't know much about the different classes in GW2, I'm 46 years of age and I've been playing a Charr Thief thru out the beta-week ends.

Hope this helps.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Keybind your Dodge to the "Shift" key and just keep moving, you'll be fine. The only really difficult parts of GW2 are PvP and Dungeons, both of which can be ignored if they're not your thing. You'll be fine throughout the general game, though if you over-aggro during larger events you might run into trouble if your reflexes are particularly bad. My advice is, if you see lots of people are starting to participate, and the event grows large and wild, take a step back and play more defensively/supportively. For instance, my Mesmer tended to draw a lot of aggro, so when events went out of control, I played AoE support with Quickness elite and spread boons out across the people around me. When the mobs dwindled a bit, that's when I chimed in with my aoe damage spikes.

Personal Story is a bit challenging at times, but if you attempt them either with a friend to help or after outleveling them a bit first, you can breeze through them as well. Plus when you die in them, you just try again, nothing resets, so even soloing them you're bound to get them eventually.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."