Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New players beware

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Let's just say it again: can-baiting in 1.0 systems is petitionable and will get perps banhammered.

But you have to actually report it for this to happen.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

The Danger is the reason many of us LOVE the game (and I come from a long long history of carebearing all the way back to EQ1)

So while you may think some people are belittling you, (and some may be) honestly I just think either you had the complete wrong mindset going into the game (which many people coming from theme-park games will) or the game is truly not for you as it does not match your desires in a game. Nothing wrong with that, just perhaps not your cup of tea.

The reason you see people getting bent about suggestiong of PVE server this or, Saftey OMG I got ganked that, is exactly what I said in my first sentence.  This is the main reason many of us LOVE the game and why EvE is DIFFERENt than the rest of the MMO genre games out there , that so many people are getting sick of.  Not that we love being gankers (well some do)  its that wihtout that open, unknown constant fear of the unknown, a lot of the thrill simply is gone with the game.  The REAL present danger everywhere you go makes you THINk it makes you SHARP and cautious.

anyways, what I am saying is EVE is unique .. it has lived a long time, and still continues to slowly grow, where other games have started to flash and burn out at an ever increasing rate.

those of us who love what we have found, take exception to people "dropping by for a looksee" and then suddenly wanting to change EVE into everyothergameoutthere ...  hope that makes sense

Also, its true that a good corp can really change your eperience.

Syco

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by georgeslaterThis is just my experience (And the experience of the majority).

Oh really?

You seriously want to bully someone that your t1 frig and dessie got suicide ganked?

5 suicide ganks in a month, you are the most unlucky newb I have ever heard of and very unlikely an experience of majority new players.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I started playing eve about a year ago as a newb, and only got ganked once. I have however given the sub up now. As most say it is a pvp game. There are just no long term goals for a pve player. I loved the complexity, loved the universe, but hated the attitude towards pve in the game. Eve is biting its nose of to spite it's face I think, the universe is big enough for pve and pve. Pity, awesome game otherwise, my sub will wait and dream for a pve expansion.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I started playing eve about a year ago as a newb, and only got ganked once. I have however given the sub up now. As most say it is a pvp game. There are just no long term goals for a pve player. I loved the complexity, loved the universe, but hated the attitude towards pve in the game. Eve is biting its nose of to spite it's face I think, the universe is big enough for pve and pve. Pity, awesome game otherwise, my sub will wait and dream for a pve expansion.

there was a PVE oriented expansion which gave "Incursions", although yes the game is at its core PVP.

did you try Incursions ?

Originally posted by sycofiend

there was a PVE oriented expansion which gave "Incursions", although yes the game is at its core PVP.

did you try Incursions ?

I did, i started a year ago ish.  Bottom line is tha  it is a gloriously rich and brilliant game for the pvp minded, but has very little for the pve player who also likes long term goals and achievments to aim for.  There is no other pve space game out there that is even remotely as good quality as Eve, which is why it is a missed opportunity. 

Those PVP lover's out there saying their game has no place for pve players is a bit like a wolf saying there should only be wolves and no sheep in their world :P

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

did you try Incursions ?

I did, i started a year ago ish.  Bottom line is tha  it is a gloriously rich and brilliant game for the pvp minded, but has very little for the pve player who also likes long term goals and achievments to aim for.  There is no other pve space game out there that is even remotely as good quality as Eve, which is why it is a missed opportunity. 

Those PVP lover's out there saying their game has no place for pve players is a bit like a wolf saying there should only be wolves and no sheep in their world :P

I will never understand why people like you persist in this weird belief that "PvP lovers" are incapable of mining or building or trading, when it's a simple and obvious fact that, since PvP is a negative-sum activity, "PvP lovers" must engage in some kind of income generating activity.

"PvP lovers" are at least as good as "PvE players" at doing all the economic activities that support PvP. And because they know something about PvP, they have an economic advantage in that they're less likely to get ganked.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I played EVE a while back for about 3 or 4 months - I think it was in 2010. I never got griefed or ganked the entire time I played. I played mostly pve missions - joined a corp and engaged in some corp vrs corp pvp.

I have no idea what EvE is like today - but I highly doubt its as bad as the OP makes it out to be. I think what he is talking about is the fact that as a player in 1.0 space (high security) it is illegle to steal from other players. If you try to steal from other players by taking things from a "can" (a storage container free floating out in space) that other player can kill you as well as the local police(npc) can kill you and really just about anyone related to the person you stole from for a short while. The game does warn that what you are doing is bad. If you actually go through the tutorials you will learn that this is bad.

There are griefers in EvE. They rarely bother with high sec space though as its too much trouble. The good news is that once you are established you can grief them right back - the essence of a sandbox pvp type game. There are safe bubbles too where it is very difficult and next to useless for anyone to grief you. You also get an unlimited supply of newbie ships - so even if someone does kill you - you lose very little in high sec. There is insurance too which brings the loss to be even less.

As other posters have said the time to explore is as a newbie when you have nothing to lose and gankers have no reason to kill you.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

yes OP you are right - it is a niche game. It is a game like poker: you have a couple of good players and a lot of fish. A zero sum game that without exploited the exploiter cannot thrive.

CCP has a service only for the vets because they are the ones that retains the sub

nobody will tell you this but:

As a newbie  you are a fish.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

yes OP you are right - it is a niche game. It is a game like poker: you have a couple of good players and a lot of fish. A zero sum game that without exploited the exploiter cannot thrive.

CCP has a service only for the vets because they are the ones that retains the sub

nobody will tell you this but:

As a newbie  you are a fish.

You have yourself beaten before you even started.  The "poor innocent victim" mentality in Eve doesn't work and will garner you no sympathy.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I tried Eve twice for 30 day trials each and it was not my type of game however the OP is exagerating big time.  If you click on a can it  warns you that you are stealing,  so if you try to steal well what did you expect?  Why would you just fly off and not do the tutorials?      I joined Eve University and found it to restrictive but maybe that is me.   I used to fly around so called "Dangerous" space and never came close to getting attacked.  I play Tera from time to time and do get ganked, same with AOC , Darkfall and even eq2 on pvp servers, but never on Eve, maybe I was just lucky but I never felt griefed playing Eve

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by georgeslater

I knew as soon as I saw the OP that it would be very controversial. I have to say though that I do agree. I just cancelled my EVE sub today because of the same issues.

I love the idea of the sandbox and even the idea of the open pvp. BUT... there has to be a least SOME safe locations for newbs. EVE states plainly that NO place is safe. I found this to be very true. When I first started I noticed the can-fliping containers right outside the start station. Lucky for me, I had read about it and didn't fall for it.

What irked me the most (to the point I finally quit) is the gankers who are already neg. sec.  and have so much isk that they don't care if they lose a ship and so they attack the newbs anywhere.

In my first month of playing I lost 2 catalysts, 1 Triston,  and a Vexor. All fully loaded. Thats about 60-80 mil ISK lost to griefers who just didn't care that they got shot up too.

For an established player 80mil is chump change. For a new player, that will set you back a long time.

If they ever made the game so that you couldn't attack players in high-sec unless they looted your can or something like that, then I would join back up.

I personally compare it to the real world (the ultimate sandbox). How many people want to live in countries with no rule of law... pretty much nobody. Only the jerks and A-holes of the world who love to kill innocent and take advantage of poor like it. This is EVE. Its a 3rd world country with no rule of law and you are a baby left on the street with no parents. If you can somehow manage to not be killed by the time you are an adult then you will be strong enough that you too can go kill babies.

Once I realized that this was all I had to look forward to, I quit.

So no EVE is not the game for me. I played for several months and gave it a chance. If all it has to offer for my hard work is ganking newbs, then I will not enjoy it.

This is just my experience (And the experience of the majority). If you love eve and this didn't bother you... good for you. It bothers most though and I think the OP is fair in warning people that may spend real money to find that out.

How did you lose 3 t1 frigs and 1 t1 cruiser to hi-sec ganking in 1 month? Honestly, I've never heard of such a thing. Were you derping in local and pissed someone off? Picked a mission running system with the most scrub wannabe 1337 p33v33p33 corp in hi-sec desperately trying to pad their KB with t1 frig/cruiser kms? Details would be nice.

Originally posted by Malcanis

did you try Incursions ?

I will never understand why people like you persist in this weird belief that "PvP lovers" are incapable of mining or building or trading, when it's a simple and obvious fact that, since PvP is a negative-sum activity, "PvP lovers" must engage in some kind of income generating activity.

"PvP lovers" are at least as good as "PvE players" at doing all the economic activities that support PvP. And because they know something about PvP, they have an economic advantage in that they're less likely to get ganked.

lol why dont you try reading the post,  Il make it simple for you in a nutshell i said 'this game is great for pvp' I wasnt insulting pvp players, and I think it is rather obvious pvp player do pve to earn income or even because they enjoy a bit of pve as well. Thats some attitude/chip on your shoulder.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Don't listen the OP, EVE is good as it is.

It has the right balance between PvP and PvE.

I mainly PvE and in 6 months time I've been blown up only once in a 0.2 sector when I was on autopilot and semi AFK

Never lost a ship on high sec sectors.

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

Eve, where being a dick is the end game.

Yes I played SWTOR.

• DKKOberonDKKOberon Member Posts: 75

I agree with the OP. EVE is full of the biggest jerks known to the Universe. There is no safe place because CCP wants it that way. Why try to beat the good PvPers when you can gank the players who prefer to do other things in what is suppose to be 'safe' areas?

Are there any good players? Any good corps? Yes, some, few and far between.

Seven Year Veteran of Gank Wars (aka EVE ONLINE)

Originally posted by Malcanis

did you try Incursions ?

lol why dont you try reading the post,  Il make it simple for you in a nutshell i said 'this game is great for pvp' I wasnt insulting pvp players, and I think it is rather obvious pvp player do pve to earn income or even because they enjoy a bit of pve as well. Thats some attitude/chip on your shoulder.

What did you mean by "all wolves and no sheep" then?

Originally posted by DKKOberon

I agree with the OP. EVE is full of the biggest jerks known to the Universe. There is no safe place because CCP wants it that way. Why try to beat the good PvPers when you can gank the players who prefer to do other things in what is suppose to be 'safe' areas?

Are there any good players? Any good corps? Yes, some, few and far between.

Seven Year Veteran of Gank Wars (aka EVE ONLINE)

If you dislike the other players so much why did you play for 7 years?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• EVIL_BEEFEVIL_BEEF Member Posts: 2

I've played EVE for over 5 years, and I've always been disappointed by the low player retention rate. This is mostly because of-course the steep, unforgiving PVP learning curve.

I'd like to see a sort of 'battle simulator' mode, where people could learn PVP with their current ships/equipment, without any risk of permanently losing anything. These battles could be 1vs1, small, medium or large scale balanced matches.

Your best bet currently if your a new player or even an experienced player looking to get into friendly PVP would be to join RED vs BLUE.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Red_Vs_Blue_%28RvB%29

Originally posted by EVIL_BEEF

I've played EVE for over 5 years, and I've always been disappointed by the low player retention rate. This is mostly because of-course the steep, unforgiving PVP learning curve.

I'd like to see a sort of 'battle simulator' mode, where people could learn PVP with their current ships/equipment, without any risk of permanently losing anything. These battles could be 1vs1, small, medium or large scale balanced matches.

Your best bet currently if your a new player or even an experienced player looking to get into friendly PVP would be to join RED vs BLUE.

This already exists: it's called SiSi. You'll find that lots of people use it for exactly that purpose.

Originally posted by EVIL_BEEF

Really?  The Eve fan base has always seemed to be the most loyal out there.  Out of the brand new players who try the game not many stick around but those who do seem to stay for a long time.

-- Herman Melville

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Lowcaian
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Though to some degree I will side with the OP, but even I have to step in and call BS on some of this persons claims.  First off CCP has zero tolerance policy toward messing with new players(called rookies) - zero tolerance - first infraction can get your account a two week ban.  They have a list of systems that are considered "new player" or "rookie systems" and if you are caught "flipping-cans" or "baiting" new players into PvP - ban.  

Here is a list of the rookie areas and this includes the "Sisters of EVE" tutorial mission system.   Rookie Systems List.

There have been many onging discussions between CCP and the players discussing this very topic.    CCP has been extremely straight forward and vocal about vets messing with newer players.  Here is just one of the discussions about rookie pilots that stretched on for 32 pages over a few days on the forums.  https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=100978

I may not agree with everything CCP does and I may have my gripes about EVE, but please do not come to the forum boards and spew BS.   People that play the game and know the game read these forums as well and though EVE is a very unforgiving game, it is not as bad as the OP makes it sound like it is.  

If CCP is so against new player ganking then why do they allow hulkameggon (or something like that). I would belive this if they restricted pvp in 1.0 systems to voluntary but that would violoate their whole philosophy. No. CCP knows what is happening and is fine with it. I had a fun time with Eve but will never go back. I am exactly the type of player that CCP does not want - a care bear. 

Sorry that I am re-iterating views that have annoyed CCP (and the hard-core players) for many years. I would be a long term subscriber to Eve. Just give me absolute protection in 1.0 space. Nope. Pissing in the wind. So, like the wind, I am gone. (Yes, good riddance to you too!)

If you are flying a mining barge like a retriever, or an exhumer, like a Hulk, you are not a rookie pilot any longer.    It takes more than a month of training to get into a retriever and longer to get into a hulk.   

I have to disagree, the hulk is one thing but in EVE terms you are still a newbie if you have just gotten your Retriever and they are now targeting the T1 barges as well.

Of course people are targeting t1 barges.   They cost millions and the mods are worth millions.    What some of you want is zero risk factor.   You want to play EVE and avoid PvP.   I am sorry, but that is not going to happen.   When you start mining, you are in direct competition with every other miner in the game.   When you put ORE's and minerals up on the market you are competing with others for that market - and that is PvP.    EVE revolves around the building and destruction of things.   When things go boom, it requires ore and minerals to replace it.    If there are 10's of thousands of miners putting ore on the market it lowers the price of the ore and that effects other miners trying to make money.     So people are naturally going to fight over resources and the markets on which those resources are sold.    That is EVE.   It has always been that way.    EVE will never be a game where you have zero risk.  If it ever did allow for players to do something that effects the game Universe that is EVE by taking zero risk the game of EVE would die over night.

EVE is not for everyone.  EVE is a niche game.   EVE is an unforgiving bitch that seduces you with dreams of good game play, but if you ever turn your back on her she'll cut your throat, gauge out your eyes and leave your cold dead carcass floating in the void of the black and not think twice about it.  

So from a statement that you can still be a new player in a Retty and that T1 barges now are targeted you come to the conclusion that I want a risk free mmorpg? Impressive logic. A Retriever cost 8 million that is not even pocket change to older players but might be a great deal to the guy who just bought his shiny new barge.

People always pull up the argument that mining and the market is pvp in order to defend their actions when blowing up someone. That is a shit argument. Why? Because if I miss a sale because another guy was cheaper my ore does not go Boom! It's still there and I have a chance to make a sale later on.

"EVE is not for everyone.  EVE is a niche game.   EVE is an unforgiving bitch that seduces you with dreams of good game play, but if you ever turn your back on her she'll cut your throat, gauge out your eyes and leave your cold dead carcass floating in the void of the black and not think twice about it.  "

That is bullshit mumbo jumbo from people who want to think that a game somehow matters and that their epen somehow sticks when they log out.

I think you are taking EVE too seriously.   It is just a game.  If you cannot deal with losing something - then EVE is not the game for you.   Oh, and you forgot to add the cost of the strip miners and crystals, and mods, and rigs that go on that 8 mil retriever.  All said and done...you're looking at a 20mil+.   Tasty prize for a new player that is looking to turn pirate.  :)

Or CCP losing subs steadly, im sure there is a bottom line some where. Or not ?

EVE hasn't been losing subs.   Last fanfest they said they were gaining subs.  Of all the MMO's EVE has steadily gained subs while others steadily lose subs.  

I think the Goonies are determand to try and change this and much more, time will tell.

Except that we do more as a community to bring people into the game, and keep them in it, then most any other group in EVE.

How about you make the next meme have something to do with posting about stuff you know nothing about.  Maybe something with a kid in a helmet and wheelchair, sitting at a computer, browsing meme's to post in a forum dedicated to EVE. 

And thanks for the shout out.  Sperg posts are best posts, you're doing a good job.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Just look at the responses to the OP on this thread! 

When the OP is making lies trying to prove his point I can suspect people are calling it BS.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Though to some degree I will side with the OP, but even I have to step in and call BS on some of this persons claims.  First off CCP has zero tolerance policy toward messing with new players(called rookies) - zero tolerance - first infraction can get your account a two week ban.  They have a list of systems that are considered "new player" or "rookie systems" and if you are caught "flipping-cans" or "baiting" new players into PvP - ban.  

Here is a list of the rookie areas and this includes the "Sisters of EVE" tutorial mission system.   Rookie Systems List.

There have been many onging discussions between CCP and the players discussing this very topic.    CCP has been extremely straight forward and vocal about vets messing with newer players.  Here is just one of the discussions about rookie pilots that stretched on for 32 pages over a few days on the forums.  https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=100978

I may not agree with everything CCP does and I may have my gripes about EVE, but please do not come to the forum boards and spew BS.   People that play the game and know the game read these forums as well and though EVE is a very unforgiving game, it is not as bad as the OP makes it sound like it is.  

If CCP is so against new player ganking then why do they allow hulkameggon (or something like that). I would belive this if they restricted pvp in 1.0 systems to voluntary but that would violoate their whole philosophy. No. CCP knows what is happening and is fine with it. I had a fun time with Eve but will never go back. I am exactly the type of player that CCP does not want - a care bear. 

Sorry that I am re-iterating views that have annoyed CCP (and the hard-core players) for many years. I would be a long term subscriber to Eve. Just give me absolute protection in 1.0 space. Nope. Pissing in the wind. So, like the wind, I am gone. (Yes, good riddance to you too!)

If you are flying a mining barge like a retriever, or an exhumer, like a Hulk, you are not a rookie pilot any longer.    It takes more than a month of training to get into a retriever and longer to get into a hulk.   

I have to disagree, the hulk is one thing but in EVE terms you are still a newbie if you have just gotten your Retriever and they are now targeting the T1 barges as well.

Of course people are targeting t1 barges.   They cost millions and the mods are worth millions.    What some of you want is zero risk factor.   You want to play EVE and avoid PvP.   I am sorry, but that is not going to happen.   When you start mining, you are in direct competition with every other miner in the game.   When you put ORE's and minerals up on the market you are competing with others for that market - and that is PvP.    EVE revolves around the building and destruction of things.   When things go boom, it requires ore and minerals to replace it.    If there are 10's of thousands of miners putting ore on the market it lowers the price of the ore and that effects other miners trying to make money.     So people are naturally going to fight over resources and the markets on which those resources are sold.    That is EVE.   It has always been that way.    EVE will never be a game where you have zero risk.  If it ever did allow for players to do something that effects the game Universe that is EVE by taking zero risk the game of EVE would die over night.

EVE is not for everyone.  EVE is a niche game.   EVE is an unforgiving bitch that seduces you with dreams of good game play, but if you ever turn your back on her she'll cut your throat, gauge out your eyes and leave your cold dead carcass floating in the void of the black and not think twice about it.  

So from a statement that you can still be a new player in a Retty and that T1 barges now are targeted you come to the conclusion that I want a risk free mmorpg? Impressive logic. A Retriever cost 8 million that is not even pocket change to older players but might be a great deal to the guy who just bought his shiny new barge.

People always pull up the argument that mining and the market is pvp in order to defend their actions when blowing up someone. That is a shit argument. Why? Because if I miss a sale because another guy was cheaper my ore does not go Boom! It's still there and I have a chance to make a sale later on.

"EVE is not for everyone.  EVE is a niche game.   EVE is an unforgiving bitch that seduces you with dreams of good game play, but if you ever turn your back on her she'll cut your throat, gauge out your eyes and leave your cold dead carcass floating in the void of the black and not think twice about it.  "

That is bullshit mumbo jumbo from people who want to think that a game somehow matters and that their epen somehow sticks when they log out.

I think you are taking EVE too seriously.   It is just a game.  If you cannot deal with losing something - then EVE is not the game for you.   Oh, and you forgot to add the cost of the strip miners and crystals, and mods, and rigs that go on that 8 mil retriever.  All said and done...you're looking at a 20mil+.   Tasty prize for a new player that is looking to turn pirate.  :)

Or CCP losing subs steadly, im sure there is a bottom line some where. Or not ?

EVE hasn't been losing subs.   Last fanfest they said they were gaining subs.  Of all the MMO's EVE has steadily gained subs while others steadily lose subs.  

I think the Goonies are determand to try and change this and much more, time will tell.

Except that we do more as a community to bring people into the game, and keep them in it, then most any other group in EVE.

How about you make the next meme have something to do with posting about stuff you know nothing about.  Maybe something with a kid in a helmet and wheelchair, sitting at a computer, browsing meme's to post in a forum dedicated to EVE. 

And thanks for the shout out.  Sperg posts are best posts, you're doing a good job.

*than

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

EVE is working as intended.

I started playing about 2 years ago and I moved into nullsec maybe a month after I subbed to the game. I learned the entire game in nullsec admist gankers, hotdroppers, gate camps etc. Sometimes baptism by fire is the best approach. Hell, I learned how to swim by being thrown into the deep end of the pool.

As I'm sure many have stated, finding a decent Corp is crucial to enjoying the game the way it can be enjoyed.