Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of WarPlanes: Closed Beta Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We spent some time earning our wings in the closed beta of Wargaming.net's World of Warplanes. What'd we think? Read on to find out!

World of Warplanes follows the basic premise of its predecessor. Players unlock different models of aircraft (Soviet, German, and American), ranging from the P-12 biplane (Tier I) all the way to experimental and prototype aircraft that have never seen the light of day in combat or even production, such as the jet-powered Messerschmitt Me P.1102 (Tier X). Each aircraft fills one of three roles: fighter, heavy fighter, and ground-attack. The game’s aircraft will also feature a host of customization options, including different ammunition, but these didn’t appear to be enabled in the beta just yet.

Read more of Michael Bitton's World of Warplanes: Closed Beta Preview.

Comments

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

intersting. they are basicly using WoT systems with a plane mesh/texture?? 

any word on how the matches are setup? if i roll out a T1 sopwith camal will i get rolled in to matches with ME109's that just bend me over and prostate examine me??

also how will they setup PoV? WoT had view spotting and radio systems that made you blind to the tank fully exposed on the ridge infront of you.  being they are in the sky... there really shouldnt be much of a a (tank in a bush) system like the ground pounder version.... so how exactly will people "view" or not view their enemies?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Look forward to this... but looking forward to World of battleships even more :)

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

The very fact that the first picture shows an outclassed biplane being shot down by one of if not the best fighters of WW2 is why I'm skipping this game.

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

well once they have all the tanks,planes etc ones out they are combining them all into one giant mmo that all work together, seems testing each system until its very stable by a large player base is the way to do it.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

The very fact that the first picture shows an outclassed biplane being shot down by one of if not the best fighters of WW2 is why I'm skipping this game.

It was a bot. :)

• drowelfdrowelf Member UncommonPosts: 114

well the Brits used biplanes on there carrierrs in WW2 and the Russians had biplaine ground attack planes as well. So if it is hisrtoral then that is ok by me.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

If you like good flight mechanics like you see in many of the flight simulators, you will probably not like this game,  I do think the gold ammunition from the item shop, will be very over powered though, as there is no place to hide in the sky. 

Very hard to have a good pvp game when the item shop sells a "I win" button.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by drowelf

well the Brits used biplanes on there carrierrs in WW2 and the Russians had biplaine ground attack planes as well. So if it is hisrtoral then that is ok by me.

Also a lot of recon planes and sea attack/anti-sub planes of WWII are biplanes.

Biplanes of WWII doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age/gimpiness but have to do with the type of aerodynamics required for the purpose. Some tasks it is better to have less flexibility and speed but have better lift.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Yes both used biplanes (see Bismarck) as ATTACK planes NOT air superiority fighters.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Also a lot of recon planes and sea attack/anti-sub planes of WWII are biplanes.

Biplanes of WWII doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age/gimpiness but have to do with the type of aerodynamics required for the purpose. Some tasks it is better to have less flexibility and speed but have better lift.

That wasn't his point at ALL.

His point was to show that World of Warplanes will have the EXACT same unbalanced matchmaker that WoT does. It's so bad I've seen tier 3 MEDIUM tanks in the same battle with tier10 heavies WITHOUT being in a platoon (ie: by himself).

Not to mention the number of unbalanced broken tanks currently.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Strayer75Strayer75 Member Posts: 1

You know what they need to show in those tutorials, they need to show us what manuverabilities we can make while fighting against our opponents or  what tricks we can pull off to get away from being chased like "Ace" pilot would do, that would be so cool to see :)

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

If you like good flight mechanics like you see in many of the flight simulators, you will probably not like this game,  I do think the gold ammunition from the item shop, will be very over powered though, as there is no place to hide in the sky. 

not the same tired argument about gold ammo (and pay2win)...

regardless whether or not it is for sale, it won't help another pilot actually hit you, but might do more damage.

just like WoT, almost no one will use it in regular public matches that constitute 99% of casual gameplay, but will reserve this ammunition for team tournament play.

just like world of tanks, if you want to spend real money on a premium account or on a premium plane that will simply earn you more credits and experience per battle (but not help you actually win in the sky), then it is entirely up to you. 

• muttleymuttley Member UncommonPosts: 17

in the beginning of the war pilots realized if they let their biplane engine misfire inexperienced troops would panic along with their horses and the civilians.  a outdated and slow biplane with a clever pilot could interrupt a supply line or retreat without firing a shot or very many.

• Hobs23Hobs23 Member Posts: 1

I cant give out a whole bunch of info, but I think I can say, the MM is near the same as WoT.  Not beta or alpha tester will be able to talk about the plane hiding details or things of that nature, but WoWP is simular to WoT just with planes.

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    World of Warplanes will have the EXACT same unbalanced matchmaker that WoT does. It's so bad I've seen tier 3 MEDIUM tanks in the same battle with tier10 heavies

I have been playing WoT for a long time now and have NEVER seen a tier 3 tank in a battle with tier 10's. The thing is, this company wants to make money. Everyone who plays this game should buy premium ammo just so they can use it against those higher tier tanks... If you're going to cry about a company "trying" to make money off a "F2P" game, you might as well quit and spare us the tears because it just makes you look like a moron troll...

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Yes both used biplanes (see Bismarck) as ATTACK planes NOT air superiority fighters.

Well  the Gloster Gladiators saw quite a bit of air to air combat in the early part of the War...still I'd hate to find myself in one against an Me109-E.

The Italians also flew a couple models of Fiat bi-planes in an air combat role in the early war as well.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I love WoT it is fun and the tanks are balanced okay but how in the world are they going to balanace planes for WWII?

The P-51 Mustang was by far the best fighter plane in WWII.  yes the German Jet planes would have been if they managed to make enough of them but they did not so the fact is that the P-51 was the best.

How are they going to balance it so not everyone and their brother is going to fly the P-51?

Sooner or Later

• GunshipGunship Member Posts: 23

They will have no problem nerfing the hell out of the P-51, they managed to completely destroy the German Tanks in WoT !

• GunshipGunship Member Posts: 23

Ohh and just for the record, WG can't move your account between servers (well aperenly they can for people moing to the SEA server), so make sure you start WoWP on the corrent server for your location. This REALLY sucks and shows they don't give a fuck about customer service!

Originally posted by 9reesracer9

regardless whether or not it is for sale, it won't help another pilot actually hit you, but might do more damage.

just like WoT, almost no one will use it in regular public matches that constitute 99% of casual gameplay, but will reserve this ammunition for team tournament play.

just like world of tanks, if you want to spend real money on a premium account or on a premium plane that will simply earn you more credits and experience per battle (but not help you actually win in the sky), then it is entirely up to you. 

The point being, gold ammo is a significant advantage and it is used in a lot of matches besides tournament play.    Really get tired of people attempting to defend pay-to-win.  Just shows lack of reasoning skills.

• ValhanaValhana Member Posts: 1

The point being, gold ammo is a significant advantage and it is used in a lot of matches besides tournament play.    Really get tired of people attempting to defend pay-to-win.  Just shows lack of reasoning skills.

Really?  There are still people who don't understand that games cost money to develop?  Seriously, gold ammo in World of Tanks only give you a slight penetration bonus.  It doesn't make your accuracy better, your armor stronger, or your strategic skills more efficient.  That is hardly "pay to win".   The only players who complain that premium tanks are overpowered are the ones who don't have one and don't realize that you get blown up just as easily in a Lowe or Type 59.  The advantage of paying in World of Tanks is that it saves you time to achieve the same results that you can achieve without paying a dime.

Originally posted by Valhana

Really?  There are still people who don't understand that games cost money to develop?  Seriously, gold ammo in World of Tanks only give you a slight penetration bonus.  It doesn't make your accuracy better, your armor stronger, or your strategic skills more efficient.  That is hardly "pay to win".   The only players who complain that premium tanks are overpowered are the ones who don't have one and don't realize that you get blown up just as easily in a Lowe or Type 59.  The advantage of paying in World of Tanks is that it saves you time to achieve the same results that you can achieve without paying a dime.

Zoom, completely missed the point.  Of course developers must make money through their item shops, many do without using pay-to-win items used in pvp, that is not the case in any of this developers titles though, hence I avoid any game they make for that specific reason.   I play several f2p games that I have used the item shop in, I don't mind funding a game I like, but, the item shop is really not optional in there pay-to-win games.

• darkangel1x2darkangel1x2 Member UncommonPosts: 8

I agree, they said they dont sell anything that give advantage to players, but trust me, once u reach top tiers, without premium, u lose the game u lose ingame money by repairing, cuz the repair cost is more than what u earn in a lost game, so premium is a must in all this company games IF u wanna play top tiers after so many weeks playing to get it, u dont have a choice.

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

Ok, now even pay to win is alright? Because "they need the money". Good to know that so many F2P MMO don't need that money,then. But hey,support the game. Whatever floats your wallet. I mean, boat.

• grimzodgrimzod Member Posts: 2

To The poster that moans about the biplane against a P-51:

First, pull your head out of the dark stinky place and LOOK at the screenshot.  All the planes but the P-51 are BOTS.  Robots.  AI controlled planes.  Its the training room he mentioned earlier in the review you so blithly ignored. 

And apparently the training room has biplane bots only.  Are you still moaning or feeling stupid yet?