Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just have to say... this game kicks arse...

I'm in the middle of playing right now and I had to pop out to make this post.  I was sitting at the military base in Blue Mountain just lauging at some of the NPC dialog and it really hit me how much detail they have put into this title.  This game, in every conceivable way, puts SWTOR, Rift and any other themepark currently on the market to shame.  If Bioware had made SWTOR to Ragar's standards, it would have been a runaway hit.

You have to understand.  I'm mostly a themepark hater.  There are few exceptions, but for the most part, I have spent the last several years looking for an interesting game to play and failing.  I have backed indy games, purchased just about every themepark to come out, and waited for games that never come.  The gaming landscape has been a wasteland of dried up and crusty game corpses.

I've been following TSW for freaking years...since the original announcement, and even back then I was engrossed in the whole idea. Ragnar has really pulled this off.  Yeah, it's a little rough around the edges in some places, but for a brand new MMO game, I think they knocked it out of the park.  Could it use some improvement?  Sure, probably in PvP, but regular combat in this game is no where near as bad as anyone here tries to say it is.

I ran some dungeons today for the first time, and they are gorgeous. In fact this whole game is.  If you have the graphics maxed out like I do, the world is often breathtaking, and they did not cut corners. The look, feel and even the quests are hand crafted.  The quests continue to be fantastic after the starting area, and the side quests which you can do or not do are a very nice touch.  Most of the writing is super high quality and entertaining.

I'm not going to get into the skill and ability system except to say that I really love what they have done.  You can make any kind of build you want.  If you hear anyone tell you that the mobs are too tough, or they can't finish quests, the problem is that they haven't learned how to make a decent build, and probably haven't been setting their talismans up correctly.  People are used to picking up a class, all of which are easy to use over the whole game solo, but in this game you really have to think it through, and if you figure out your builds, you will be rewarded.

Anyway, I just wanted to come here and gush a little because I love the setting of this game, and I'm just stoked about how smoothly Ragnar's team pulled this off.  There's a lot of smack talk on these forums, and once in a while I think people forget to come and say good things about good games, rather than just complaining about all the bad ones.

I highly recommend you try this game if you aren't sure.  I really, honestly thought I would be playing Guild Wars 2 for the next year or so, but now that is looking extremely unlikely.  I know TSW isn't for everyone, but it is an adult game, and the mostly adult crowd playing it is having a blast. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

It is really well done.

Some of the things that stand out for me are the comments in the Illuminanti base. As well as the comments of the cultists in Egypt.

Having said that, hardcore mmo players that play religously are going to burn through the content quickly. I can't see anything Funcom can do about this. As long as they can keep enough content flowing for the casual player they should be fine.

I've already unsubscribed and stopped playing because I've burned through the vast majority of the content already. I do intend to resubscribe at some point to check out the new content that comes out. If they can keep the quality high I will definitely revisit this game from time to time.

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Been playing too much TSW lately and it's a good sign. SWToRs emptyness after lvl 50 has left me sceptical what will happen in TSW after the storyline ends...

...but this far with TSW the good old gaming addiction is back! :) And I think testing different weapon builds will keep me going for a long time and I haven't even toughed the dungeons.

+1 so far

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

If Bioware had made SWTOR to Ragar's standards, it would have been a runaway hit.

No, it wouldn't have. Nothing can save extremely scripted, linear, singleplayer games. When you base your game around that, you run out of content for the players really quickly. SWTOR WAS a runnaway hit, until people got bored and realized there was no socializing. The same will happen to this game. It happens to every WoW clone.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Just wait till egypt. If your digging it now the second area there is killer. I loved the haunted house in blue mountain myself.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Garvon3

The same will happen to this game. It happens to every WoW clone.

Except this game is not a WoW clone. Can thump that drum as much as you want but won't make that overdone term true here.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52

If Bioware had made SWTOR to Ragar's standards, it would have been a runaway hit.

No, it wouldn't have. Nothing can save extremely scripted, linear, singleplayer games. When you base your game around that, you run out of content for the players really quickly. SWTOR WAS a runnaway hit, until people got bored and realized there was no socializing. The same will happen to this game. It happens to every WoW clone.

Wow, just wow :)

Pun intended.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Except this game is not a WoW clone. Can thump that drum as much as you want but won't make that overdone term true here.

Agreed. This game is absolutely not your standard themepark clone.

The fact that anyone can claim that just goes to show how ridiculous and completely meaningless the phrase "wow clone" has become.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I'm in the middle of playing right now and I had to pop out to make this post.  I was sitting at the military base in Blue Mountain just lauging at some of the NPC dialog and it really hit me how much detail they have put into this title.  This game, in every conceivable way, puts SWTOR, Rift and any other themepark currently on the market to shame.  If Bioware had made SWTOR to Ragar's standards, it would have been a runaway hit.

That area made me laugh as well. "There are f**king bugs f**king everywhere!". That radio is the funniest thing I've encountered so far.

You have to understand.  I'm mostly a themepark hater.  There are few exceptions, but for the most part, I have spent the last several years looking for an interesting game to play and failing.  I have backed indy games, purchased just about every themepark to come out, and waited for games that never come.  The gaming landscape has been a wasteland of dried up and crusty game corpses.

I'm a themepark hater too, the only themepark I've enjoyed was Lord of the Rings Online, but I consider that a hybrid rather than a true themepark. This is the same thing for me, it's more hybrid than generic themepark. It gives the player freedom instead of railroading them down the quest line. It allows the player to wander off and do their own thing, pick their quests, search the wilderness. I've found pieces of lore in the oddest places.

I've been following TSW for freaking years...since the original announcement, and even back then I was engrossed in the whole idea. Ragnar has really pulled this off.  Yeah, it's a little rough around the edges in some places, but for a brand new MMO game, I think they knocked it out of the park.  Could it use some improvement?  Sure, probably in PvP, but regular combat in this game is no where near as bad as anyone here tries to say it is.

I never looked at TSW at all, except for the odd bits of information around the fringes. I knew it was solo focused, I knew it was modern day with magic and guns, and I knew it had a horror theme. Beyond that I knew very little going in. I picked the game up out of boredom more than anything else, I expected it to last as long as SWTOR did for me, about a week or so. But this game has really captured my attention. I'm in roughly the same location as you, just north of the base in the Watanabi area, and every day I'm looking forward to seeing more of what the game has to offer.

I ran some dungeons today for the first time, and they are gorgeous. In fact this whole game is.  If you have the graphics maxed out like I do, the world is often breathtaking, and they did not cut corners. The look, feel and even the quests are hand crafted.  The quests continue to be fantastic after the starting area, and the side quests which you can do or not do are a very nice touch.  Most of the writing is super high quality and entertaining.

The dungeons are one of my favorite parts of this game, it finally brings people together into a team, which for me are what MMO's are all about. As well as that, some of the encounters remind me of old EverQuest style raids, with areas catching fire so you have to stay on your toes, or having to hide from the Cthulu beast when the sky turns blue. It really is great design. I have the graphics on max as well and it's the first MMO since Lord of the Rings Online that I've taken screenshots just to show off to a friend the game I'm playing. Beautiful game, especially with DX11.

I'm not going to get into the skill and ability system except to say that I really love what they have done.  You can make any kind of build you want.  If you hear anyone tell you that the mobs are too tough, or they can't finish quests, the problem is that they haven't learned how to make a decent build, and probably haven't been setting their talismans up correctly.  People are used to picking up a class, all of which are easy to use over the whole game solo, but in this game you really have to think it through, and if you figure out your builds, you will be rewarded.

The skill tree is just a stroke of genius. Again, it offers the player so much freedom rather than tying them down into a rigid skill set or character class. I'm always playing around with it, while still trying to follow the path to the deck I'm wanting to make. Preacher in the Templar organization. And then I'll go from there and open up Fists to become an Exorcist. And then once Fists is done I'll open up Chaos to create an Executioner. And from there... Yeah, it's awesome, just so much you can do with it and so much to look forward to. Hopefully the AP's keep coming so I can do what I'm imagining.

Anyway, I just wanted to come here and gush a little because I love the setting of this game, and I'm just stoked about how smoothly Ragnar's team pulled this off.  There's a lot of smack talk on these forums, and once in a while I think people forget to come and say good things about good games, rather than just complaining about all the bad ones.

There's still smack talk, but there seems to be a lot less of it for this game. That in itself is a good review, you just need to look at the storm of hate for SWTOR compared to what we're seeing here to realise that people are enjoying it.

I highly recommend you try this game if you aren't sure.  I really, honestly thought I would be playing Guild Wars 2 for the next year or so, but now that is looking extremely unlikely.  I know TSW isn't for everyone, but it is an adult game, and the mostly adult crowd playing it is having a blast. 

Guild Wars 2 is another game I haven't looked at, I prefer to keep myself in the dark regarding MMO's these days as it's so easy to become disappointed with what you thought a game was going to be. TSW does pull a more adult crowd, there was an in depth discussion on General last night about a variety of topics, none of which included Chuck Norris or Yo Momma. Fantastic!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I have to say though. Their biggest drawback at this point are the chat channel issues. Until they fix this (which is going on a week now) there is no way I can recommend this game to others. It is simply ridiculous.

Trying to pug is next to impossible right now at this point for dungeons.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Just wait till egypt. If your digging it now the second area there is killer. I loved the haunted house in blue mountain myself.

See, I'm completely opposite. Absolutely loved the first 3 zones. Egypt put me to sleep. It just looks so bland and uninspiring. It does have one of the most interesting NPCs in the game (roof of the abandoned hotel) but you only get to do 2 quests for him. Hopefully Funcom will expand his story. Plus, Egypt is when mobs get really clingy and annoying, like a crazy ex.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

I have to say though. Their biggest drawback at this point are the chat channel issues. Until they fix this (which is going on a week now) there is no way I can recommend this game to others. It is simply ridiculous.

Trying to pug is next to impossible right now at this point for dungeons.

As of Thursday night (a ninja patch on the chat server side) the chat server should be working for good now.  If it's not then it's a new issue but it seems perfect for me today/tonight.

The losing of channels when zoning/logging out is fixed on TestLive and should make it in during their next patch (likely Tuesday).

* Fixed a bug that caused custom chat tabs to lose subscription to some chat channels on zoning.

To the OP: Thank you for the well constructed post :)  I agree with you and I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Great there getting the chat sorted and we can agree to disagree on egypt Heartless. I would explain what I thought was cool there but don't want to post any spoilers...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There's 3 things tsw needs to fix
    1 gear manager, it needs a better UI and it needs to work properly
    2 chat bugs
    3 fusang, it should be a place pvpers can hang out all evening when the quest content is done, unfortunately it is just a power leveling tool for hardcore pveers to dip into every half hour and do the take a facilty quest. It was fun in beta, its broke in live.
    Other than that its a good mmo.
  • AlanakoAlanako Member Posts: 188
    Shakymo, about you question about the gearmanager, what do you need? I have a window in the left corner of my screen with the list of my builds. Clicking on one of the names load that build. So what more you need?
    Yeah I know how to use /gearmanager use and stuff, but it sometimes forgets the odd ability or piece of gear.
  • BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Alanako
    Shakymo, about you question about the gearmanager, what do you need? I have a window in the left corner of my screen with the list of my builds. Clicking on one of the names load that build. So what more you need?

Actually my largest gripe with the game is the gear manager as well, use it a lot and it quickly becomes annoying, heres why:

Aside from the above mentioned "forgetting" of gear leaving you without a few pieces equipped, leaving you searching your bags and trying to find whatever piece was suppose to go there, annoying when you have like 6 saved builds.

Editing the build is non existant, i have to delete my old build and then resave and retype the build name.

The look of the gear manager, its small, when previewing my other builds they are locked, meaning i can add that new drop to an off build i have to equip the build, replace missing gear, then delete rename then resave.

It dumps your old gear into the comingled part of your bag with all your drops, making it easy to forget that a needed piece is there, especially if your bad has empty slots up top ect.

What it should be:

You click on the gear manager build and you get a window with your character slots and skills, you are then able to swap gear, edit the name, swap skills and most importantly set a named bag for the gear manager to use...im not using my main bag for saved gear nor do i want my gear dumped there when switching...I want the gear i have saved in the build to phyically go into an off character sheet like my current gear is, not hiding in a bag.  When i equip an item onto the gear manager is should act like an equipped piece and move from my bag to the managers sheet and stay there untill i swap it out.

Even broken the gear manager is good since the most time consuming part of build swapping would be the skills, but i could be so much better and make life a bit less fustrating for someone who like to swap builds on the fly.  Its also annoying in dungeons.."hey everyone hold up im switching builds"...."ok now please wait while i locate the missing gear and place my old get into the right bag so i dont end up disassembling"....when it should be "hold up switching builds...alright lets go"

• Sandman24Sandman24 Member Posts: 47

I find nothing more amusing then people stating thier opinion as fact.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by dubyahite

Agreed. This game is absolutely not your standard themepark clone. The fact that anyone can claim that just goes to show how ridiculous and completely meaningless the phrase "wow clone" has become.

Every fan says that when their new favorite game is accused of being a WoW clone.

Rift people denied it was a WoW clone.

LotRO people denied it.

Age of Conan people denied it.

But we all know its true.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

'wow clone' ?? how do you apply that description to TSW with a straight face? Its like walking around mumbling 'bread,..bread... bread.. ' all the time, think people take that serious ?? beyond me...

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by dubyahite

Agreed. This game is absolutely not your standard themepark clone. The fact that anyone can claim that just goes to show how ridiculous and completely meaningless the phrase "wow clone" has become.

Every fan says that when their new favorite game is accused of being a WoW clone.

Rift people denied it was a WoW clone.

LotRO people denied it.

Age of Conan people denied it.

But we all know its true.

Funny guy. Rift and Lotro were semi-WoW clones, AoC is far from it. You are like the worst troll ever, at least state a plausible flame bait.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

And GW2 has turned out to be quite shallow imo

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I agree it is an amazing and almost landmark achivement considering its billed as an MMO in the traditional sense.  But I know allot of people that dont get it because they are expecting something different based on their understanding of what has come before in the genre.

It almost needs to be in a new catagory of MMO's to become succesfully, so people know what to expect coming in.

• rav500rav500 Member Posts: 46
    Agree fully with the OP. Happy to see somebody else likes my favourite game :=)