Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think the game is better without an Auction House

plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

When i first starting playing during early access i was very frustrated to find out they'd disabled the Auction house/trading post facility. A big attraction for me in new MMO's is the player economy and ill often spend as much time in the AH as i do in the rest of the game

However, ive found in TSW that not being able to easily buy new equipment has actually been quite refreshing. Gear in this game is sooo important as it vertually dictates your lvl. without the ability to buy stuff ive been excited at every loot drop and ive even explored crafting indepth which is something i never bother with. i think something special will be taken away from the game if you can easily purchase a ql7 weapon and then fasttrack your SP to be able to use it.

i have a couple of blue drops that i sold through general chat and it wasnt much of a hassle. i even got a couple of ppl on my friends list because of it.

I never though i would say this of any MMO but i genuinely think the game is better without an AH.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

Comments

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Agreed.

AH = easy access and high prices which encourages people to buy ingame currency.

I can understand why Illuminati would want it though ;)

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I'd whole-heartedly disagree. I've bags full of talismans and signets and weapons that people can use. I'm not going to stand in agartha spamming. So, I just vendor them. People that think combat is too hard because of their build or whatnot probably could benefit from easy access to even green gear.

I skipped pretty much 3 zones so I could get gear appropriate to my SP levels. It's silly to make gear such a nuisance to get. Also, crafting, hah. I've got 3 blue kits in the time I've played.

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Terronte

I'd whole-heartedly disagree. I've bags full of talismans and signets and weapons that people can use. I'm not going to stand in agartha spamming. So, I just vendor them. People that think combat is too hard because of their build or whatnot probably could benefit from easy access to even green gear.

Pretty much this.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Long as dungeon loot is bop I see no reason to not have an auction house. Having one allows people to have more variety in the roles they can play for groups. Without having to try and farm items or repeat quests. Not everyone finds that enjoyable.

...and considering how restrictive some are in the gear they expect for dungeon groups and how much gear does factor into this it seems silly to not have one.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• moraelinmoraelin Member UncommonPosts: 42

I remember a far away land called West Commonlands where people used to actually talk and trade and interact with each other in front of a cave entrance. Then the bazaar was born and and there was eerie silence across the land. Agartha is reminding me that an MMO is SUPPOSED to be about social interaction with other people. Something that got lost in the shuffle.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by moraelin

I remember a far away land called West Commonlands where people used to actually talk and trade and interact with each other in front of a cave entrance. Then the bazaar was born and and there was eerie silence across the land. Agartha is reminding me that an MMO is SUPPOSED to be about social interaction with other people. Something that got lost in the shuffle.

I agree with you, but I'd imagine we are very much in the minority.

The average player seems to feel that social interaction is a "waste of time" in most MMO's. Talking to other players slows down their levelling speed too much. It's not efficient. I've grown used to the "silent pug" in recent years, but I've not grown to like it. Yeah, I'm whining...

So I'd have to say that the AH will improve the gameplay for many people, specially when it comes to trading crafting materials. But I do expect that prices will be fairly high, given that there's not much to spend your PAX on ingame, other than clothes and 3 sprint speed upgrades.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I would like the AH to be limited to crafting materials. No items on there. I can never find enough crit rating mats. Adding a full AH will make this game far too easy though, everyone will be rolling in QL 5 gear when they are still in Kingsmouth. At least with only mats you still have to go out and find the kits to create the items, meaning you still need to be doing the appropriate content to be able to create that QL of gear.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by LachyFTW
    Originally posted by Terronte

Pretty much this.

Couldn't agree more.  I'm running around with a couple of mil in cold hard cash and a need to by pretty talismans and signets (especially signets) and weapons and nowhere to buy them from.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

was i on the ONLY eq server where the auctioning zone was GFay not EC??

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• deftskulkdeftskulk Member CommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by Vannor

I would like the AH to be limited to crafting materials. No items on there. I can never find enough crit rating mats. Adding a full AH will make this game far too easy though, everyone will be rolling in QL 5 gear when they are still in Kingsmouth. At least with only mats you still have to go out and find the kits to create the items, meaning you still need to be doing the appropriate content to be able to create that QL of gear.

I kinda like this idea.

I remember in AO just hanging in Omni trade just seeing what people were selling and meeting some pretty cool random people doing the same. Sometimes half the guild would show up just to hang.

Ah fond nostalgia .

Is it so bad to have a reason to hang out in a game? It really can make a community  flourish.

• PossimpPossimp Member Posts: 19

If they make an AH for this game I'll just sell shit on it.

You get so many drops that it's much more fun to wait till you get that piece you're looking for.

AH-raiding is boring and doesnt require any patience.

Being glad that item finally drops is part of the game I guess.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

IMO the AH should only be able to sell crafting mats, kits, and castings for weapon skils....nothing else.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Deleted User

There is other solution.

Player made shops / hired NPC's - selling & buying gear. 

It is not centralized, soulless and "out of game" as usual AH - yet it allows to trade without spamming chats.

There is one problem though - don't think TSW is build with that in mind and it is much harder to introduce good and USEABLE player shops in games that are not at least partially build with that in mind.

It worked in UO and SWG.  Think L2 also had it working more or less ok. 

Was disaster in few other games though.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Definetly this ^^ !

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

So you like archaic design because it makes it more challenging?

Sigh...

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss

So you like archaic design because it makes it more challenging?

Sigh...

That archaic design was an undercurrent to the overarching idea of depending on direct social interaction in many ways , from EC tunnel selling and haggling face to face , to wizard port services because of no instant npc travel or even , gasp , bard runs from one side of a continent to the other , where people chatted along the way.

Every game doesn't have to be instant gratification , it wouldnt be a bad thing if there was a game that , wait for it , forced everything from grouping to actually selling face to face and so on.

So you can't understand some wanting a mmorpg to be massively multiplayer in all aspects as some "archaic" games used to be ?

Sigh..

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

AH's destroy community and it's more rewarding finding gear yourself than buying it off an AH.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I've never liked auction houses in MMOs - they're probably the least social economic solution possible.

I can honestly say I haven't missed having any sort of AH system in place. I've been able to get all the gear I've needed via questing and dungeons, with plenty of leftovers to disassemble for crafting parts. While I don't really mind them adding an auction house to the game, I do wish they would have at least considered other options.

<3

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by emperorwings

AH's destroy community and it's more rewarding finding gear yourself than buying it off an AH.

In Tsw you can already buy awesome gear yourself. Like I said save up 65 tokens in kingsmouth... Run to blue mountain buy ql6 weapon and blue glyph. This makes almost all Weapon drops in the first 3 zones pointless as none of them will be close in power. I think a lot of new players spend their tokens on vendors in kings or savage coast.... Huge waste of tokens. pro tip save up enough sps to get your main weapon to skill 5 - then buy the above mentioned ql6 weapon + glyph, prosper.

True but getting q5 weaps is really easy, run inferno a few times... and its good xp.

I started running it as soon as I hit Savage Coast in mostly QL3 stuff.

I personally agree its better to save them until BM but weapons meh, Ide rather replace any talis that are outdated.

As far as the AH, I am sure they will bring it in but I wish they wouldnt. I agree a /trade channel is better for the community than an AH.